You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Just a few fitment questions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Teach
Posted 2008-05-07 7:13 PM (#9893)
Subject: Just a few fitment questions

Visionary

Had the Vision in today for some adjustments and oil change. Most of the little easy stuff was fixed no problem, however several of what I feel were more important got shrugged off.

1. Aluminum cowl under the seat on the left side hs about a 1/4 gap between the cowl and the body panel under it. Its sticking forward just where the clutch cable passes under the body panel. I guess its not major but kinda ticks you off to pay this much and have the service guy say "well thats the way it is." Anyone else have this cowl fitment problem?

2. My trunk lid is out of alignment, and its noticable. The black cover on the left sticks way out and thegap is a good 3/8" where the lid hinges open. I'll let you guess what the service tech had to say... "well there is no adjustment so thats the way it is." Anyone else with this?

3. My seat has a 4"x 2" section slightly right and right where the hip bone sits, where there is no padding or at least a good chunk of i missing, anyone else? Oh they said they'll call Victory about getting me a new seat, so I think I should be grateful.

I don't want to complain too loud I mean if these minor issues are normal so be it, but holy cow... to give a new owner the old "thats the way it is" reply is pretty lame. If they aren't normal then I'm going to be standing on the owners desk demanding they orderthe parts and get it fixed. Input please?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
IndyVision
Posted 2008-05-07 9:45 PM (#9908 - in reply to #9893)
Subject: Re: Just a few fitment questions

Tourer

I also have alignment issues with:
1. saddlebag lids are out of alignment, right side is rubbing into the seat and left side has over 1/4 inch bag to the seat, BIG SUPRISE!
2. right side panel, the one with the badge, is out of alignment. You can see the brackets underneath, just like the saddlebag ones.
3. gap between brushed aluminum cover, one where key goes in, and the display panel cover, one with odometer and ect.
4. the dealer has tried to correctly install the aluminum windshield cover. Know it is bowed on the left side where the turn signal is
5. the seat does not align correctly with the tour pack. Gap on the left side

I am going to take pictures of everything and submit them for warrenty. If that fails, I will request a phone number to speak to a customer service representative. I also want to talk to the district representative.

I enjoy my Vision, but Victory claims they are writing the future with this bike. If they are going to make a bold statement like that, then they should back it up.
focushere
Posted 2008-05-07 10:25 PM (#9915 - in reply to #9893)

Cruiser

Good luck getting help. All my complaints have fallin on deaf ears so far. I'm currently working with a dealers trying to get the bag alignment issue taken care of with Victory and I feel that he's not getting anywhere either.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-05-08 1:12 AM (#9927 - in reply to #9893)

Visionary

So Cal
The best thing to do is compare yours to others at the dealer. Every time I notice something on mine, next visit to the dealer, I check the others in the showroom. If yours seems to be worse than most, point it out to them. If they still wont liaten, look for another dealer. I know dealers are far and few between, but at least you get to ride there.
bobbybhb
Posted 2008-05-08 7:57 AM (#9938 - in reply to #9893)

Cruiser

CALGARY ALBERTA
The dealer didn't side step you when you brought your hard earned money to pay for the bike and they shouldn't side step you now. If they do not have the expertise to do the warranty work, they can start on the learning curve now. Make them write everything on the work-order so that you have a record of what they don't do. If not, customers will look elsewhere.
BB
victory2002
Posted 2008-05-08 11:00 AM (#9949 - in reply to #9893)
Subject: RE: Just a few fitment questions

Cruiser

Northeast Pennsylvania
Seems like everyone has the side bag problem; rubbing on 1 side and 1/4" on the other. This worries me, I thought it would be an easy tweak. I've not experienced the other problems but noticed a finish problem on the covers just above the back speakers. The edges near the speakers are rough and it looks like the coating near the outside is peeling back 1/8" (seems the whole trunk wasn't really finished that well on the edges where the lid meets the trunk). I will be having the covers replaced. Where the seat meets the tank (console) there is a bigger space between to the left than on the right. looking down. With that said, I love this bike. Paying 23,000 dollars, we should expect to have better Quality Control. This is an american made bike..That needs to mean something. The workers and inspectors should be looking at the finished product as if they were going to own it. And Victory should back every imperfection on any of their bikes so they can truly be "the future".
Teach
Posted 2008-05-08 9:19 PM (#9991 - in reply to #9893)

Visionary

Thanks for the feedback guys. I ave to admit I do not have any issues with my saddlebags. Originally the left didn't close the rear seam completely but as the foam gave way a bit it now closes perfectly without need for further adjustment.
I'm wondering has anyone contacted Victory direct about these fitment issues? I ask because I had another brand of bike several years back and had a leak issue the dealer either couldn't or was unable to tr to fix. I finally did some searching and contacted tech support for the manufacturer. They sent a tech out to me with part in hand, fixed my bike, and apologized for the poor service. So I'm wondering if maybe Victory doesn't know???
Teach
Posted 2008-05-11 8:46 PM (#10086 - in reply to #9893)

Visionary

I did some playing around today with my bike and did get almost all of the fit problems fixed. It was a case of loosening a few bolts repositioning and tightening. Shame the dealer couldn't figure it out.
I had a look at another owners bike Saturday and noticed his under seat cowl was the polar opposite of mine (gap on right panel). I played with this panel today and was able to get the front to position where it should, but then the rear of the panel was way high. So this panel is getting replaced.
After it being mentioned here I had a look at the right saddle bag to seat issue and yes mine is against the seat on the right and a 1/8-1/4 gap on the left. Since they are already replacing the seat on mine, I guess I'll see what they can do with the alignment issue. Probably nothing but we'll see. Worst case I'll adjust it myself.
IndyVision
Posted 2008-05-11 9:59 PM (#10092 - in reply to #9893)

Tourer

There should be no self fixing. Victory should step up to the plate and fix the problems. Those power rankings may take a big hit if customer service doesn't kick in.
luzzy
Posted 2008-05-12 7:21 AM (#10101 - in reply to #9893)

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
I figured I'd step in here to give some of the new guys a bit of perspective.Having owned a Victory for the past 8 yrs or so and as a Vision owner myself.

Victory , like any other brand is at the mercy of their dealer network. For most it's easy to understand how that sometimes doesn't work too well. Some dealers are awesome - some shouldn't be selling apples , let alone motorcycles. If you have an issue with your dealer , report the problem to customer service , then go find a better one. Many of us learned early on that Victory was just like other brands
who have good and bad dealers. Many of us(myself included) ride an hour+ to get to the dealer of our choice. Victory will refer you to a dealer for any problem with the Vision. Like other brands , they do not have a tech on hand in Medina to do warranty service.

Next , for the Vision....spend the 59.00 and buy the service manual. Much of the panel alignment concerns are easy fixes. If you do any accessory installs yourself - it's easy to see this.

For new buyers - look over your Vision thoroughly BEFORE you buy it. Have the dealer rectify before delivery. If it took more than 5 minutes for a good visual inspection , I'd be shocked.

Finally , remember that you bought an incredibly engineered bike that has been available to the public for about 8 months now. There WILL be some minor issues that need to be addressed. If you are expecting perfection....maybe wait a couple of years. If you need it now(i did) then grab a Vision and enjoy but be reasonable. I agree a 21,500.00 bike should be pretty close to perfect , and I think the vast majority will agree it's pretty close. Once you work out the minor fitment issues - you'll have miles of smiles.
victory2002
Posted 2008-05-12 1:58 PM (#10122 - in reply to #9893)

Cruiser

Northeast Pennsylvania
Luzzy...Appreciate your input on Victory, but I feel you may have missed the point. I to am a long time owner of the Victory brand and love it. I also still think, (this being a forum to ask questions and air out) that Victory needs a better QC program. I will fix the little nuisances that I have because I love this bike....so If anyone can tell me if they were able to fix the side bag clearance issue I'd love to hear it. I spent way too much of my riding time, untightening and moving side bags but didn't get too much change in clearances. If you look down at the seat..1 side bag is touching the seat and the other is approx. 1/4" away. Bolting doesn't give in that direction. The owners Manual does not show this specific direction..or maybe I missed that page.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-05-13 12:44 AM (#10147 - in reply to #9893)

Visionary

So Cal
Took some time this weekend to see if I could improve side bag alignment. I was prety happy with them to begin with (except for the dents) but every time I washed it, I could FEEL they werent perfect. First one took about a 1 1/2hrs. after I figured things out, the second one took about a 1/2hr. The first thing I did was remove the six bolts and removed the doors, it makes access much easier. The rear hinges need elongated, the edge of the bracket that holds the support will bind on the inner body if you move it to the closed position. If it binds before it reaches the closed position it will cause the rear to stick out, elongating the holes cured that. I got a bag of 1/4" (6mm) flat washers from the hardware store. The lower part of the hinge bolts directly to the body, no washers. On the left, the upper holes in the hinge, I add 1 extra washer to the rear hole. (there was already one in the front hole and two in the rear) for a total of three in the rear. This brought the rear of the bag in perfectly. The right only needed the holes to be elongated to keep the support bracket from binding on the inner body before reaching the closed position. I had no problems with front alignment but Im sure shims can be added there also. I had the left door off three times before hitting on the right combination. (not something I would expect from the dealer,not something everyone has a patience for). All the bolts are interference fit, they bind all the way, in or out (to keep from vibrating loose). A wrench is the only way to remove the rear hinge bolts without damaging the body panels, so take a little extra time and be patient. Lastly, dont over tighten, its only a metal insert snapped into the plastic, no need to make them too tight. If you get out the ruler, Im sure you will find slight diffrences in gaps when comparing one bag to the other, but they LOOK perfect now. Except for the dents. If the factory decides to replace them because of the dents, I'll have to start over.
victory2002
Posted 2008-05-13 6:15 AM (#10154 - in reply to #10147)

Cruiser

Northeast Pennsylvania
Outstanding..Thank you, I'll see if it works.
LA VIC
Posted 2008-05-17 5:06 PM (#10404 - in reply to #9949)

New user

This one seems to be a seat issue. The seats are not symmetrical on both sides. There is more material on the right side of the seat on mine causing the contact issue.
NastySplinter
Posted 2008-05-21 5:06 PM (#10680 - in reply to #10147)

Puddle Jumper

Strongsville, Ohio
cjnoho,

Looking at the left saddle bag from the rear of the bike, all I saw was the molded bars showing where the lid should have been overlapping it. Upon examination after following your instructions for adjustment, I noticed the weather stripping around the inner bag compartment near the rear of the bike being not properly seated. This was this way from the factory and it caused the lid to be deformed from new and making the lid fall short of closing all the way.

Over the weekend I seated the weatherseal properly and used blue painters tape across the lid and up to the tour pac. After 2 days in a heated garage, the lid fits much better but not perfect yet. A little more fiddling around I saw the right rear hinge has black washers as spacer between the hinge and bracket. Rear hole has two washers and the front hole has one as you mentioned. The rear spacer radius is larger than the center of bracket hole to edge of bracket. When this hinge is closed, the rear spacer hits the inner body metal and prevents the hinge from traveling to its fullest closed position. So instead of elongating the holes on the hinge leaf. I replaced the OEM spacers with 1/4" black nylon washers with a smaller OD than the originals. Along with adding one washer extra per screw over what Victory had there originally, the lid fits like a dream.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-05-21 8:12 PM (#10686 - in reply to #9893)

Visionary

So Cal
That was my big problem also, the rear hnge interference, not allowing the hinge to close fully.
IndyVision
Posted 2008-05-21 9:30 PM (#10693 - in reply to #9893)

Tourer

this may sound stupid, but it would be great if cjnoho and nastysplinter could take some pictures pointing out the modifications.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-05-23 1:25 AM (#10772 - in reply to #9893)

Visionary

So Cal
I tried taking pictures but they didnt turn out very well. Maybe I'll try on the weekend in daylight.
IndyVision
Posted 2008-05-23 6:03 AM (#10778 - in reply to #9893)

Tourer

I was looking at the bags and seat yesterday. It looks like my seat is not alighned correctly. That may be the reason why my right side bags rubs into the seat. The seat on the right side actually touches the hand rest on the right side. On the left side, it has about a quarter inch gap. Has anyone taken the seat off and re-alighned it?
LA VIC
Posted 2008-05-23 12:32 PM (#10802 - in reply to #10680)

New user

Quick question about the molded bars showing. Are you guys saying it's possible to adjust the lids and the molded bars will not be visible across the back and the gap will be consistant across the top of the lid?
teamcook
Posted 2008-05-25 11:39 PM (#10879 - in reply to #10778)

Puddle Jumper

Leander, TX
I have the same saddlebag door hitting the seat thing - mine hits on the right, gap on the left - I took the seat off a few weeks ago and measured everything - there was only about 1/16" difference between the left and the right doors, from the center of the frame. Moved the seat as far left as it would go, and it was better, but the right side still hit, left side big gap - took it to my local dealer (Napalm Motorsports, Austin area) and the "fix" was to loosen the bag door on the right, so now it leaks, and doesn't hit as badly. I believe the seat is asymmetric, but I need to take some more measurements - will try to do so soon.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™