You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Bluetooth for everything????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

metalguy
Posted 2008-05-04 12:12 AM (#9650)
Subject: Bluetooth for everything????

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
I posted this in the "General" section, but no answers... So I thought I would post it here. Anyone know???

Ok, I am relatively new to this bluetooth stuff, and my question basically is about how it works with the existing intercom, and stuff. Is there a Xmitter that plugs into the bike's cord port, or something? I know a phone can be paired, and that helmets can be paired together....but to communicate with the bike's electronics, doesn't it have to interface somewhere, via a Tx? I am curious, and would like to know before I ditch the cords, and go with this stuff.-----Metalguy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-05-04 12:48 AM (#9652 - in reply to #9650)
Subject: RE: Bluetooth for everything????

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
You hit on something that I have been looking into.

Best I can see those who used Bluetooth to integrate their system did it by way of their Garmin 2820 GPS. (Least that's what I plan on doing)

The Garmin is wired into the computer or sound system. What your Garmin says (when it speaks) comes out of either your helmet speakers or your external speakers, or both. Thus, when your Bluetooth phone is paired with your Garmin you talk on your phone through it. Plus, it has touch screen control and you bring up your phone touch screen via the menu selection on your Garmin.

Nowever I could be way off. But from reading how the Vision sound system works, and how Garmin (with Bluetooth) works it should work that way. However, I could be off my rocker!

Since I am talking about the Garmin 2820.
I read everywhere about it having built in XM radio capability.

Some websites read as if all you need to do is add the subscription. Others read like you need a special antenna that costs almost as much as the Garmin. Then there are some that say the high priced antenna is only needed for the marine weather and/or the interactive traffic warnings that some larger cities have.

I am trying to find out in plain English if the tuner is built in, and it works by way of the built in Garmin antenna.
I know one thing, I am not buying an antenna that cost anywhere between the low $200's and the low $300's depending where you shop for it.

I have been searching and found some great prices for the Garmin 2820. Some places are about half the price that Victory sells them for.

Edited by Indiana RoadRunner 2008-05-04 12:52 AM
Outback101
Posted 2008-05-04 3:12 AM (#9654 - in reply to #9652)
Subject: RE: Bluetooth for everything????

Puddle Jumper

Between Rockford and Sterling Illinois
All my questions exactly. I ain't stoopid but I could use a really knowledgable and thorough explanation of what exactly I need to get to do all of the above and one additional question. Can Nolans N-Com system play music in stereo or mono only?
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-05-04 7:29 AM (#9655 - in reply to #9650)
Subject: Re: Bluetooth for everything????

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Vision-Riders hopes to have a tech article on Bluetooth and the Vision in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.
GnAontheRoad
Posted 2008-05-05 12:58 AM (#9682 - in reply to #9650)

Cruiser

Harrisburg, PA
Please, Hang up and RIDE!!! Its scary to see how much people have to be connected to everything. People want to talk and drive, Ride, Texting, mess with GPS units ect... Geesh... I cant wait to get on my bike just to get away from phones, emails, and text messages! TO each his own I guess. Crank to the tunes and enjoy the ride!!!

Just got home from seeing a movie tonight. People are so rude.... People all over the theater text messaging and talking on cell phones during the movie!!! As Soon as the movie was over these same people can't even walk at a decent pace to get out because they all have to look at their cell phones, and text message...
metalguy
Posted 2008-05-06 1:54 AM (#9756 - in reply to #9650)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
I do NOT wanna answer my phone while riding. ALL I want is to not have cords to use my headsets on the bike. But I also want full function of the CB, Intercom, and GPS. I do not want to buy another GPS, as i already have one on my bike. I look forward to the article, JAM. I hope it addresses the cordless headset issue. -----Metalguy
divesharc
Posted 2008-05-18 12:08 AM (#10422 - in reply to #9650)

Cruiser

VA
This could get more into the general category, but I can understand wanting bluetooth. First, wires are a pain in the butt..period. And in this age of everything wireless, I'd like to see it on the Vision. By the way, I think you are right about the Garmin being the interface for the bluetooth. Since it hooks into the audio of the bike, that is how you could hear stuff through it and be linked. I think the only issue that could come into play is pairing the bluetooth to multiple objects, which most still can't do. ie. if you did want the phone to work, then you might not be able to pair a helmet as well. I personally hate texting, so I agree with that comment, however, when I am riding and playing hookie from work, it'd be nice to be able to answer the phone.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-05-18 3:29 AM (#10429 - in reply to #9650)

Visionary

So Cal
If my Vision and ride time ever get connected to the real world, I might as well give up riding. What did we do 20 years ago when cable was the only thing hi tech? We spend too much time communicating and not enough time riding. Why? Because the rest of the world know we are all just a phone call away. Turn it all off and let them wonder where you are for 5 min.
divesharc
Posted 2008-05-19 10:34 PM (#10549 - in reply to #9650)

Cruiser

VA
CJ, I understand your point of view, and that's fine for you, but why is it that someone always wants to tell other people how they should ride? For you, and your way of riding, it involves not being reached, and for me it's like that too. However, some people have a different approach to riding, and if they are out of reach for more than 5 minutes, they CAN'T relax. I understand your point of view, because to some extent riding is like that, and I'm not trying to start an argument or be confrontational about it, but I've read a lot of posts, not just here, that talk about the same thing. I will say, I rode a bike for 4 years that had no radio, windshield, or even saddlebags. But, when I got this bike, I was looking for something different. Personally I like being able to listen to music while I ride, because it something that I don't get to do that much otherwise. I also like GPS, because it takes away some of the burden of having to figure out where I am and how to get to where I want to go. We lead much busier lives than we did 20 years ago, and while that isn't that great sometimes, it's fact of life. I say that if someone wants to have their phone available to them while they ride, than so be it. I know that sometimes when I am out riding, I may get important calls for work, and it detracts from my being able to really enjoy the ride because I know that I may get a call that I have to return in a short period of time. I lived on a small island for 2 years without phone, TV, and sometimes electricity. I like the laid-back approach to life, and especially riding, but I say to each his own.

Edited by divesharc 2008-05-19 10:35 PM
GnAontheRoad
Posted 2008-05-20 7:23 AM (#10564 - in reply to #9650)

Cruiser

Harrisburg, PA
I'm with you CJ... Sometimes it can wait! Well Just about all the time... It can wait.

Edited by GnAontheRoad 2008-05-20 7:23 AM
varyder
Posted 2008-05-20 7:41 AM (#10566 - in reply to #10564)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

oh no, it starting to sound like a bunch of ..... Wingers! ahhhhhhhh! Gentlemen, and ladies, can we just share here and not press on each other? I've been guilty of it myself, and forgive me if I have offended you. Riding is certainly an escape, but some do live in a busy way of life. There has been times that I've not gone for a ride because I was waiting for a phone call, for just a simple answer. It would have been cool to have a bluetooth thingy that tied into cellphone where I could have said, "Hello, thanks for that information, good bye", while blasting through a twistie. Or have a GPS because it was getting late and I was taking the long way home through uncharted territory. I rode to Texas last year and enjoyed the miles upon miles of just riding, and the occassional call home to say I'm still alive at a stop. But it would have been convenient to have had a GPS to tell me where the next gas station was on those long Texas highways. That's just me. Some want to get away and leave it all behind, some want to get away and take it all with them, that's why they buy GoldWings, uh, I mean Visions, when they want to do in the comforts of home.

cjnoho
Posted 2008-05-20 10:04 AM (#10575 - in reply to #9650)

Visionary

So Cal
Not critisizing anyone's personall prefrences, just stating my own.
metalguy
Posted 2008-05-24 12:28 PM (#10843 - in reply to #9650)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
Ok, ok! All I wanted to know was how to ditch the cords, and use the Visions' comm system, and radio gizmos without being tied to my bike with a cord. I could give a crap about the cell phone thing. I was thinking a transmitter from the comm port that sent a signal to the headsets in the helmets. Anything like that out there? I would think that would be a great place to start, not buying another GPS to replace the one that already works just fine....
1gr8vic
Posted 2008-05-24 1:34 PM (#10845 - in reply to #9650)

New user

Motorola has come out with their first wireless helmet built off their HS810. According to the information available at this point, taking and making calls will be easy as all functions (answer, end, redial, voice dial and volume) can be made from the cover on the helmet. The Motorola wireless helmet headset is manufactured with a noise reducing microphone to help minimise traffic and wind noise when riding at highway speed, as well as a water proof cover designed to withstand whatever nature throws at you. The battery lasts for up to five hours talktime and 100 hours standby time, so you won't need to charge it too often. When you do, just remove the headset module from the helmet and plug in! The Motorola wireless helmet headset also will be available as an aftermarket kit. The kit, containing the helmet adapter (microphone, speaker, cover), Bluetooth headset module, lanyard and charger, would easily attach to a consumer's own helmet with the included strong 3M adhesive. Both solutions are universal, making them compatible with any Bluetooth enabled handset.

How well this works with the Vision electrical system I am not sure. There are products out there for those that want this capability. I for one spent 18 years as a motorofficer and I do not want to use the phone or CB while riding. I enjoy the wind and the nano connection. To each their own and I personally 100% agree with divesharc that each and everyone one of us has our own style of riding. So with that said lets all jump on the bike and enjoy a great day of riding on the Vision. Stop have a bite to eat and more riding.

space_cwboy
Posted 2008-05-26 11:48 AM (#10888 - in reply to #9650)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
metalguy -

While I haven't seen him post on the forum lately, I believe that PalmBeachRider had his Vision completely decked out with the Garmin 2820, bluetooth helmet, and successfully paired both his helmet and mobile phone to his Garmin. He would be able to tell you the make/model/technical info of the bluetooth helmet I'm sure. I'm not really sure I've seen posts on here about including the intercom/CB along with this, but I would be surprised that if you had already paired a bluetooth helmet with the 2820, and could hear its directions, as well as whatever you have selected from the stereo, you SHOULD be able to also hear the intercom/CB.

Regarding the "additional" antenna, I may have some helpful info for you. I went to the Garmin site and downloaded the owner's manual for the 2820, then searched for "antenna". Here is what I found:

1. There are TWO kinds of additional antennas for the Garmin 2820. The first one is associated with the XM capability, and is also necessary if you want traffic alerts received on the Garmin. This one has a part number of GXM30. The second one is what I believe you are actually referring to, and is an additive antenna for normal Garmin operation. Its part number is GA25.

2. The GA25, according to the Garmin manual, is necessary "When using the unit in a vehicle with a coated windshield or an in-screen heating system, which can block GPS signals." My interpretation of this quote from the manual is you do not need it!

There is also some good info in the manual regarding setting up and selecting bluetooth connections between the Garmin and other bluetooth capable units. I would recommend downloading it, and looking though all the bluetooth info. The link for that download is:
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/StreetPilot2820_OwnersManual.pdf.

I've found the ultimate answer to all the cell phone hooey that has been posted on here....Most of the places I ride have either spotty or NO cell phone coverage, which suits ME just fine. I find lots of relaxation and enjoyment barreling down the road with my wife, through the sweepers and twisties, and sometimes not even seeing another vehicle for 10-15 miles. I'm NOT the barhopper, city traffic riding kinda guy. As many others have said "To each their own", but like you metalguy, I prefer a slightly simpler form of riding. I can sympathize with your wanting to get rid of all the cables. I consider it a luxury to be able to listen to tunes while riding (I use my MP3 player, set to shuffle), and will REALLY be in the lap of luxury when I get my Garmin 2720 mounted so I can be rid of maps, notes, etc when taking multi-day rides. Having the directions spoken through the Vision speakers, instead of glancing down, is a "safe" thing in my book. I like to concentrate on the road, the scenery, and as little else as possible.
metalguy
Posted 2008-05-26 1:00 PM (#10892 - in reply to #9650)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
Thank you space_cowboy. I am presently just glad to not use sticy notes on the tank, like I used to on my old VT100c Shadow. I called it BPS, or Bob Positioning System. The Garmin is a welcome addition. It is a shame I will prolly have to buy a new Garmin to be truly cable-free, tho. Bummer. Thanks for the info!-----Metalguy
Breaker
Posted 2008-05-26 1:33 PM (#10894 - in reply to #9650)

Iron Butt

Western WA
I've been looking at the the Garmin 2820 for the same reasons metalguy.

The have new ones all over for $899. But I've been watching the prices on Ebay lately, and new ones - in the box - are going for about $399 if you watch carefully. That's from sellers with high-numbered transactions and very positive ratings - not the "out of box - no accessories" guys with 1 or 2 in their feedback.

amessen
Posted 2008-05-29 4:06 PM (#11062 - in reply to #9650)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
I have been in the communications business for a long time but to use bluetooth you must have a charged battery in the unit. Talk times are rated in hours usually 3 to 5 hours at best. I ride two up a lot and my wife likes to talk to me so if I go Blue tooth then at the end of 5 hours I have to recharge however I ride 10 to 12 hours a day on trips. do I then have to hook up a charging cord for the bluetooth so it does not run out of power OPPPHHSSS!! back to square one I don't want cords. Well I could tell her to be quiet but that would go over like a lead ballon. Still using cords for head sets Arch
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™