You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Stage 1/Level 1 Popping
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

SongFan
Posted 2008-04-15 1:16 PM (#8515)
Subject: Stage 1/Level 1 Popping

Visionary

Memphis

I've wrestled with whether I should make an issue out of this or not.  If you convert to S1/L1 your exhaust will pop loudly between shifts.  You will be told by your dealer that this is normal.  That has always raised a red flag with me but I like the throatiness of the exhaust so much that I put up with a few pops until I get up to speed.  The pops were loud, they were embarrassing and there was no way to keep them from happening.  To say it was "normal" sounds like an old school American answer.  I don't buy it.

My exhaust quit popping at 6,000 miles (installed at 500).  It now runs and sounds exactly like I think it should and I just rolled over 7,000.  Victory needs to figure out what changed and engineer it into the original S1/L1 re-map.  There are a bunch of aftermarket exhausts about to hit the street and I'm willing to bet some of them will sound and work perfectly right off the bat. 

My question to Victory is this:  My S1/L1 doesn't pop anymore.  Should I take it in to get it "fixed"?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Codfather
Posted 2008-04-15 2:16 PM (#8516 - in reply to #8515)
Subject: Re: Stage 1/Level 1 Popping

Cruiser

Songfan Polaris needs to address some of there issues to their customers. We need to find someone to talk directly to and not some customer service rep. that will BS us. Maybe a class action suit will motivate them. I love this bike but I don't like what I have been hearing about some of the issues that are not being addressed by Polarais. The dealers don't seem to know whats going on or they too don't care.
SongFan
Posted 2008-04-15 3:13 PM (#8517 - in reply to #8515)
Subject: RE: Stage 1/Level 1 Popping

Visionary

Memphis

A lawsuit of any kind is not an option for me, no matter how bad it gets. I took a chance on a first year model and I'm going to give Victory every chance possible to make things right. The positives of the bike far outweigh the negatives.

My main gripe is the fact that Victory could very well be working on this problem but we would never know it. Meanwhile, we the owners start bouncing these issues off of each other and get madder and madder at the silence from Victory. New potential buyers come to this site, read about the issues and think "Hmmm, why should I spend over $20,000 on a bike with cosmetic/performance issues that Victory doesn't seem to be addressing?"

The exhaust is not a safety issue. The bike runs fine. The problem for me is that a motorcycle is all about the sensory input. You smell everything in the air. You see more around and above you. You feel every little vibration plus the g-forces of a really fun road. You hear everything, even if it's a mile away sometimes.

Motorcycles are initially judged by their looks and their sound. The Vision is visually stunning. Some can't stand it and don't get past that. Others really like the looks and think, "I like it, what does it sound like?" A lot of people are totally content with the stock sound. Some wish it was even quieter. A lot of others (maybe even most) think it could use some extra grunt in it's voice. The Stage 1 upgrade fits the bill for a lot of us middle-aged buyers who don't want a "loud pipes save lives" bike but we don't want a Goldwing either. It is a low, powerful throaty sound that I can light off at 5:00 in the morning and not piss off my neighbors when I go to work.

The popping really ruins the mood. To say it is acceptable or normal is weak. Victory is basically saying "Hey, hear that big V-twin off in the distance that sounds like a 12-guage shotgun when it shifts?  That's our flagship bike with an exhaust upgrade.  We meant to do that.  Sounds great, doesn't it?"  Yeah, right.  Victory may be working on it, but in the meantime a lot of buyers will be looking to Ness, Kuryakyn and other aftermarket suppliers to do it right the first time. If Victory could could just find a way to say "We recognize that this (whatever it is) is an issue and are working on a fix." they would have a bunch of us going to the wall for them. The way it is now, I have no way to know if it's being addressed or not.

Better trunk lighting is a huge issue with the touring crowd. Is Victory working on it? Heck if I know.

Edited by SongFan 2008-04-15 3:29 PM
cjnoho
Posted 2008-04-15 10:22 PM (#8544 - in reply to #8515)

Visionary

So Cal
Improving performance is one thing but doing it within EPA guidelines is another. Not an easy task. Im not defending Victory though. These part were in their catalog long before they were delivering bikes. They should have made sure of certification and good driveablity before offering them to the public.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-04-15 10:38 PM (#8546 - in reply to #8517)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
LAWSUIT........what are we thinking about, S1L1 is a modification to your motorcycle that does not meet many state laws (noise). Who are you going to sue, you just modified your motorcycle that does not meet highway standards on noise polution, I believe S1L1 is for off road only as per Victory. You really don't want to open that door, if you like your motorcycle to make a little more noise.........!
Yes, the S1L1 does a decel pop, and does it a lot on shifts. The stock muffler settings are very lean, we have all talked about the heat.........right. You did not hear the pop with stock mufflers, because of all the baffles in the muffler, that's my opinion. The S1L1 muffler is wide open, you can throw a cat through it, if you know what I mean. I believe the S1L1 remap is still set lean, so we get a pop, on decel or between shifts. There could also be a loose exhaust connection also, check the header bolts and other clamps. Songfan, I'm curious as to why you think it quit at 6000 miles, did you have service or remap done. I've mentioned this to my service manager and he said the remap is the remap. Because of the closed loop system, doing another remap does not accomplish anything. What do you think? I still have the stock air filter, I believe I may reinstall that filter to see if that make a change. I just put 900 miles on this past weekend with three HD's and on GW. The HD's 2007, 2006. Ultras and 2004 RK, all had modified exhaust and etc...... All ran 35-38 mpg, the GW and I got 42-43 mpg and both of these motors were bigger. I believe the popping is a liean condition that will be resolved, someday.
SF, I'll go to the wall every day for Victory, but I won't for the dealers. I believe they are the problem. If a customer comes in with a complaint, they should know how to fix, not just say, that's the way it is.........! The problem with most of our dealers are they are not just Victory dealers, they sell maybe Kawi, Honda, Suzy, Yama, Sea - Doo, Can - Am, plus scooters, and generators, plus, who knows maybe used cars and cookware. OK, I'll stop. Oh, "Giddy-up"!
SongFan
Posted 2008-04-15 11:42 PM (#8554 - in reply to #8515)

Visionary

Memphis

V-Tex,

I have no idea why it stopped popping. I took it in for service at 6,000 miles and when I got it back, the popping was gone. No re-map, just oil change, clean K&N filter, check for fault codes. The weather has warmed up about 20 degrees around here so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I don't claim to be a tech by any stretch but it seems like the closed-loop EFI re-calibrates itself on a daily basis. (I know it does it constantly but it even varies from ride to ride.) It's getting more consistent and predictable but for a while there I never knew what it would do. Mileage on the exact same stretch of road would vary by 10-20%. One day I could not ride conservatively enough to make the average mileage readout register in the 40's. The highest I got was 37. The very next day, I rode slightly over my normal commute speed and got nearly 50 mpg. Some days it would not pop once, others it popped all day. Ever since the 6,000 mile check-up everything has settled down. Mileage is consistently in the 40's and the popping is basically non-existent.

I didn't have the stock exhaust on very long (less than two weeks) but I don't remember it popping. The mufflers wouldn't have covered it up, trust me. Heat was not an issue since it was winter time here but I do remember it being a lot leaner when it was stock. 50 mpg was easy. To me, the S1/L1 means more flow of both fuel and air. If the popping were caused by a lean condition, wouldn't it have been much worse stock?

My whole point is that you can't convince me that a loud pop every time I shift is the sign of a well tuned machine. Just because you say it's "normal" doesn't mean it's right. I know if I'm sitting at a light in my truck and a Harley guy pulls away and his bike backfires down the road, I think it sounds like a piece of crap. If it was an Ultra or Screamin Eagle, I'd actually wince. That's just not right. I was really embarrassed when it happened to me.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to walk up to a Victory tuner and say "Make that exhaust pop every time." He could probably do it without much of a problem. Then say "Ok, now make it go away." It seems like it should be just as easy. This is the first non-stock exhaust I have ever put on a bike and I may be making a big deal out of nothing but for the amount of trouble Victory went through to reduce NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) on the Vision, that pop from a factory authorized set-up really stands out. I'm glad it's gone but I sure wish I knew what caused it in the first place.

sjavera
Posted 2008-04-16 8:53 AM (#8565 - in reply to #8515)

Puddle Jumper

Lake Park, GA
Guys, I learned something interesting yesterday regarding the mappings on all 08 closed loop Vic including the Vision. The popping is occuring on ALL Vics, not just the Vision. Kevinx spoke to a Vic engineer this week about the mapping problems on the stage 1 bikes. The engineer explained that the new Vics have "adaptive logic" in the software that adjusts the bike as it learns riding style etc. This technology is not new ... most all vehicles with closed loop FI have this feature. The enginneer stated that the controller "self adjusts" itself after so much time/miles. Our previous Vic didn't have this so mappings were "set" at the time they were uploaded.

Kevin - if you are on the boards, I am positive you can explain better than me.

In any case SongFan, I would be interested to know if this is in fact what happened with your mapping.
Mudge
Posted 2008-04-16 10:10 AM (#8568 - in reply to #8565)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
This is good to know. My 2000 model automobile has this system. Wish this information had been readily available earlier on. It would have been good for them and good for us. 6000 miles is a long time to think your new bike isn't running right and nothing can be done about it.
SongFan
Posted 2008-04-16 12:28 PM (#8578 - in reply to #8515)

Visionary

Memphis

sjavera,

That makes 100% sense.

I've always had the feeling that my Vision was constantly reinventing itself. Always for the better but it made me wonder why it wasn't right to start with. I probably dragged it out to 6,000 miles because of two factors; 1) The weather has changed dramatically over the past 4 months. 2) I don't ride consistently for weeks at a time. If you ride in Florida or California where the weather is more consistent, and commute all the time, the bike would probably quit popping a lot sooner.

Now Victory just needs to get the word out to their dealers that there is a break-in period involved with the re-maps but it will eventually go away once it learns your riding style. This will motivate people to wrack up miles in a hurry to get it broken in faster.

Fantastic info. Thanks again!

VisionTex
Posted 2008-04-16 12:55 PM (#8579 - in reply to #8578)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Great information, thanks.
cheezhead
Posted 2008-07-13 8:17 PM (#13486 - in reply to #8515)

Puddle Jumper

Hello all, I have 2000 mi. on my bike, and I'am running the Big Honkers, LLoyds VFC, and the Gattlin tips. Have had Very Bad backfiring since day one.....any one else running this combo. and NOT experienceing the backfire issue?

Thanks for your input.
Cheez.
Banjo
Posted 2008-07-13 9:44 PM (#13489 - in reply to #8515)

Tourer

Thats why I will not go for a stage 1 or 2 modification..............Exhaust pops are not an option for me .........Period
cheezhead
Posted 2008-07-13 9:59 PM (#13490 - in reply to #13489)

Puddle Jumper

running the STOCK download and adding fuel with the VFC. I have run this thing pig rich - to lean, with no difference in the results, which makes me think all bikes are doing this, and depending on the exhaust...some are very loud and others go unnoticed...
VisionTex
Posted 2008-07-13 10:07 PM (#13494 - in reply to #13490)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Here is what I have noticed. The more miles on the bike, the less popping. When I installed the stage 1 and had it mapped, it popped on decel. Now at 10000 miles, it doesn't.
cheezhead
Posted 2008-07-13 10:26 PM (#13496 - in reply to #13494)

Puddle Jumper

Hey you know...that makes sense to me, if the bike had some small exhaust leaks that pluged up with carbon over time...so my dealer re sealed the mufflers and at the crossover where I did have a leak...
My bike pops LOUD when going through the gears, sometimes 3 times in a row, and I tend to shift at 25-2700 rpm. As well as on decell.
Sure hope there is a better answer out there other than putting on more miles. this seams to be what most folks are finding though.
Thanks,
Cheezhead
Rebel
Posted 2008-07-14 4:39 AM (#13525 - in reply to #8515)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
I have S1/L2 that was recently installed and I only experience an occasional "popping" on decel. Like, only about 20% of the time, if not less, and hardly noticable.
Mazman99
Posted 2008-07-14 8:15 AM (#13530 - in reply to #8515)

Puddle Jumper

Bellevue, NE
I had my Stage 1/Level 1 pipes installed by the dealer at about 1,000 miles. They installed the air cleaner and factory download for the pipes. I had no problem with popping at all with the pipes and the same can be said for the new Level 2 pipes I installed on the bike recently. I had the factory download installed and the Lloydz intake plate diffuser with the Level 2 pipes and while it is more quiet, I have not experienced any popping. If you had the factory download installed on the ECU for the new pipes and it is not working, maybe you should look at getting the Lloydz control unit to have more flexibility in adustment of the air/fuel mixture. I have one on order for the new pipes just so I can get the bike dialed in as much as possible and get away from the lean air/fuel mixture that results from the EPA.

The bottom line line is that regardless if you go with a Lloydz VFC, you need to get in touch with the Victory Regional Manager and have them feel your frustration and get the problems taken care of. No other Vision rider that I know here locally has complained of any problems with the pipes like that being discribed here.
pastor
Posted 2008-07-14 3:03 PM (#13548 - in reply to #8517)

Puddle Jumper

Tonopah,NV
I got my Vision Tour Premium in Steel Grey on 6/21/08 from Arlen Ness in Las vegas, and had then install the stage i exhaust. It runs great, never has popped. Do you think there is a knack to installing the new stage i map? I love my bike. The very best I've ever had, and I've been riding 50 years. Dennis
victory2002
Posted 2008-07-14 3:36 PM (#13551 - in reply to #8515)

Cruiser

Northeast Pennsylvania
No probs with popping on upshift. On a hot day, riding for a while I will experience low popping on decel on a hill. Sounds cool...don't think I would like backfire on upshift though, so I feel your pain, but haven't experienced it from day one and I'm at over 5000 miles. that's with S1/L1 pipes with remap and filter.

Edited by victory2002 2008-07-14 3:37 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2008-07-14 10:03 PM (#13579 - in reply to #13551)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Ok, I'm going to make a statement you all need to condsider on decel popping. A lot of you have mentioned they don't have decel popping and a lot of you have just gotten you Visions in the last 1-4 months. I really believe Victory is updating the stage 1 mapping on a continual basis. So those that got stage 1 4-9 months ago may have a different map loaded than those that have gotten the remap lately. There in there maybe the solving of the decel popping. Yes it can be from an exhaust leak, but that is easy to find. Check the gaskets and tighten the clamps on the head pipes and mufflers.
I was just at my dealers for the 10000 mile oil change and check. I had not gotten the radio update yet, so I ask for that to be done. Well, he had not gotten the latest download for Victory, so he had to do that before updating my Vision. So he probably has not updated his electronic wrench for a few months.......too busy with Sea Doo, and four wheelers.
So if you don't have decel popping, that is great, if you do........find a dealer that understands what it is and get it fixed.
cheezhead
Posted 2008-07-14 10:25 PM (#13580 - in reply to #13551)

Puddle Jumper

Hello All, and thanks much for your replies. It appears that some bikes do this from the get go, others quit or fall off over time, and some never do have this issue. I am convienced that it is not a lean fuel condition, or a matter of exhaust choice...somewhare some how, there are differences or quality controll isues that need to be addressed... and not left behind as an "08" learning experience. I am tired of riding a $21,000 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Just to re-state, I am running

K&N air filter
Stock download
LLoyds VFC
Ness Big Honkers
And the Tips

Thanks again, and I guess I will just keep asking around and trying what works for others...which seams to be, ride and put miles on.

My dyno numbers---------82hp 104ft lbs

Cheez.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-07-14 10:36 PM (#13583 - in reply to #13580)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Cheez, if your controller is not set right your probably running very lean. What type of mileage you getting on the bike. If it is very high, like +45 your might be running lean.
cheezhead
Posted 2008-07-14 10:59 PM (#13586 - in reply to #13583)

Puddle Jumper

That's just it, it's around 40. 40 at best and a low as 37. riding 2 UP most of the time.

I'm using LLoyds VFC
tralphaz
Posted 2008-07-14 11:01 PM (#13587 - in reply to #13486)

Tourer

cheezhead - 2008-07-13 5:17 PM

Hello all, I have 2000 mi. on my bike, and I'am running the Big Honkers, LLoyds VFC, and the Gattlin tips. Have had Very Bad backfiring since day one.....any one else running this combo. and NOT experienceing the backfire issue?

Thanks for your input.
Cheez.

Cycle Dragon pipes and LLoyds VFC adjusted to stage 1 , light popping on upshift, barely noticeable.
cheezhead
Posted 2008-07-15 7:24 AM (#13600 - in reply to #13587)

Puddle Jumper

thanks, this is a good thing to know, will keep playing with the fuel.
Cheez.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™