You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Fuel Guage In-Op
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Hoss
Posted 2011-03-13 5:43 PM (#81309)
Subject: Fuel Guage In-Op

Puddle Jumper

eastern NC
Filled up a few weeks ago and the fuel guage only read 1/2 tank. Got worse over the past few days and now with a full tank it is reading just above empty and the low fuel light stays on continuously. I am thinking the sending unit, anyone else wanna guess?? Also, I have the extended warranty on the bike, is this covered? If not, how much of a PIA is the sending unit to replace? Am hoping Lloyd or KevinX can shine some light on this subject. Help wanted, thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jdarn
Posted 2011-03-17 2:00 PM (#81577 - in reply to #81309)
Subject: RE: Fuel Guage In-Op

New user

Had the same problem with my 08 vision. Do not have extended warranty. Just finished replacing fuel pump this afternoon. Sender is part of fuel pump assembly, costs $349.00 from local Victory dealer. It looks like they changed the design, hope this one lasts longer. Removal of entire right side fairings is required. Took me about 2.5 hrs to do job. Not a lot of room to work on pump even with panels removed. Gauge works great now after test ride. It seems to start better now with new fuel pump. Hope this helps you out. Be glad you have extended warranty, it should be covered.
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-03-17 3:35 PM (#81579 - in reply to #81309)
Subject: Re: Fuel Guage In-Op

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
Mine quit, fortunately the ext. warranty took care of it.
Hoss
Posted 2011-03-17 6:03 PM (#81586 - in reply to #81309)

Puddle Jumper

eastern NC
Thanks guys, looks like a trip to the dealer is in my very near future. Now I am glad I have the extended warranty. I hope they can get the new pump in quickly, warm weather here, perfect for riding!
gr8punkin
Posted 2012-04-09 9:36 AM (#111769 - in reply to #81309)

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
I know that this thread is a year old at this time, but I just had the same problem with my 08 it started about two months ago with the gauge not rising above half tank. Then after a few more fill ups it didn't go over 1/4, until finally my low fuel indicator was on constantly. So I went through the process this past weekend of repairing it, what I found is the float appears to be a foam type material encased in some sort of coating not unlike fiberglass. Eventually the fuel was able to eat through the coating resulting in the float absorbing fuel and eventually sinking.
I was able to solder a brass float from a holley (I believe) carburetor on the arm for the gauge and after a little trial and error I placed it on the far end of the arm. It seems to be working well now, it reads 7/8 of a tank when 100% full so it should read empty when there is an 1/8 of a tank left which works for me. I will try to post pics of what I did if anyone is interested.
radioteacher
Posted 2012-04-10 5:00 AM (#111841 - in reply to #81309)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
gr8punkin,

Pics and a Tech Reference write up would be great.

It is only a matter of time until other could use this fix.

Ride Safe
gr8punkin
Posted 2012-05-29 11:31 AM (#115439 - in reply to #81309)

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
So I finally got the time to get back to my issues with the fuel gauge, I had been having the same problems where my original float sank leaving my low fuel light on at all times. So I went to NAPA and bought a brass float for an old carburetor, soldered it onto the rod for the fuel float and went on down the road happy as a clam. Too bad I put too much heat into it the first time and caused the float to leak, and then sunk the float. Oops live and learn right.

So I got back to it this weekend and here's rundown on how it went.
first there is a lot to remove just to get to the fuel pump, the bridge with the radio, instrument bezel, right side tank cover, windshield, dash, right mirror, right front turn indicator, and the seat. I'm sure I've missed one or two items that come off, but don't let it intimidate you none of this is rocket science, download the manual and read it. The only thing I will say for sure is watch the wires on the back of the grip heater switch, you really want to take note of which wire goes where on that switch, I took a picture of it and referenced it later big help.

So after removing the fuel pump and sending unit the first time I saw that the float was a very simple foam deal, and it was most obviously coated in some sort of sealant that was supposed to keep gas out of the foam. You can try letting the float sit out for a couple of days, getting the gas to evaporate than re-seal it with fiberglass resin which is resistant to fuel. I didn't want to do this because the weight of the float would change, and there is no guarantee that it's completely sealed.

I opted to replace the float, which as I said my first attempt resulting me ruining the float it only worked for a couple of tanks then it was done. So this time I took some tie wire looped it around the float rod, and soldered it to the rod then I simply tie wired the float the rod. This time I used two floats from an Edelbrock carburetor, (I had them in an old box of carburetor parts) one was placed on the end of the rod further from the sending unit, the other was placed closer to the sending unit. The one that I placed closer to the sending unit had its brass tab bent around the wire that the rod, and the two were also wire tied together.

It isn't sexy nor is it sophisticated but it was successful, and after a 120 mile ride on Sunday I can say that the fuel gauge is working well I'm now at 1/2 tank according to both mileage and gauge. Not to mention I didn't have to buy an expensive fuel pump. If anyone else is having to do the same thing I would be happy to offer any advice I can which is more likely a don't do this it didn't work situation. And maybe with a little more research a direct replacement float could be sourced or manufactured.
gr8punkin
Posted 2012-05-29 11:49 AM (#115441 - in reply to #81309)

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
Here the photos (I hope)
gr8punkin
Posted 2012-05-29 11:52 AM (#115442 - in reply to #81309)

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
Okay I'm having trouble getting my pictures small enough to post, but will work on that.
gr8punkin
Posted 2012-05-29 12:20 PM (#115445 - in reply to #81309)

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
I should have them now

(grip heater wires.JPG)

(one stripped down vision.JPG)

(under her shirt.JPG)

(original float.JPG)

(carburetor float.JPG)

(not so good.JPG)

(Edelbrock floats.JPG)

(testing the floats.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments grip heater wires.JPG (46KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments one stripped down vision.JPG (33KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments under her shirt.JPG (35KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments original float.JPG (35KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments carburetor float.JPG (37KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments not so good.JPG (43KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Edelbrock floats.JPG (43KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments testing the floats.JPG (35KB - 2 downloads)
radioteacher
Posted 2012-05-29 2:49 PM (#115459 - in reply to #81309)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
gr8punkin,

There really is a Great Pumpkin and he is the man!!! Great job on the write up.

Please copy and add it to the Tech Reference section of the forum. You can always edit the post if you want to change it in the future if it is in the Tech Reference section.

Ride Safe
JacquesVision
Posted 2015-05-08 8:01 PM (#172337 - in reply to #115439)

New user

My 2008 vision Tour is my retirement gift to myself following 36 years in the Canadian military engineers. I love riding and would not trade my vision for anything...unless it's another VV. Progressively over the past 3 years the fuel gauge on my vision was acting up until this spring it was no longer functioning at all. A riding buddy - a Harley driver no less - clued me on to the vision-riders site. I searched through the forum, found your piece, read your advice and decided to go for it. When I cut into the old float, fuel just oozed out; so I knew your analysis of the issue was spot on! I wired 2 brass carb floats onto the arm, tested the new assembly in a bucket of fuel, and re-assembled.... Fix was successful and guage is working great!!! Many, many thanks for taking the time and effort to post this information. Happy riding!!! Best regards, Jacques.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™