You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Ignition switch recall - 03-14-08
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

cjnoho
Posted 2008-04-16 9:37 PM (#8626 - in reply to #7553)
Subject: Re: Ignition switch recall - 03-14-08

Visionary

So Cal
I cant say for sure, but the part may be just an extra retainer to hold the switch together. I just had the dash off a few days ago and took a look at the switch, everything looked good an tight. I cant see it comming apart before I get to the dealer on Sat.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
VisionTex
Posted 2008-04-16 9:48 PM (#8629 - in reply to #8616)
Subject: RE: Ignition switch recall - 03-14-08

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
When I told my service manager last week of the recall and when he pulled up on the computer, he told me is was a no ride recall and I should leave the bike. I almost laughed, but controlled myself. He then told me he had to oder the part, I asked when would the part be in his hands, he did not know.........I then told him it took 4 months to get the bike, maybe the part was a similiar delivery, he indicated Oh no much faster, I almost laughed again. The result of the recall is the motorcycle may stall........has that happened to anyone on this site, yet! Mine has stalled on me four times so far in almost 6000 miles. Anyway, got a call today, part is in, now I have to schedule another day to get it installed.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-04-16 10:04 PM (#8633 - in reply to #7553)

Visionary

So Cal
With the fed involved the manufacturer has to make every effort to make repairs in a timely manner. Usually the notice goes out before the parts are shipped to shorten the time line for repairs. I dont know about other co.s but GM knows how many vehicles involved were shipped to each dealer and automaticlly ship the correct number of parts. Our parts manager also orders a few extra to handle the out of towners and those that bought elseware.
redtail79
Posted 2008-04-16 10:25 PM (#8636 - in reply to #7553)

Puddle Jumper

Deerfield, New Hampshire
my bike was in for the 500 service. Dealer called to say there was a safety recall on the ignition switch. He wouldn't get the part for two days and in the meantime I couldn't get the bike back unless I signed a safety waiver. They got the part today and it took all of fifteen minutes to install. It's just a long piece of plastic that secures the connections on the ignition switch. Anyway I back riding and loving my Vision
metalguy
Posted 2008-04-17 3:50 PM (#8668 - in reply to #7553)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
I am riding mine until I bring it in to the dealer for this repair. Mine has yet to stall, but I have noticed some missing when it is cold, which bugs me. I will be sure to mention that when I bring it in for the 5,000 mile service in about a week.-----Metalguy
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-04-17 10:17 PM (#8698 - in reply to #7553)

Cruiser

Florida
If it's a no-ride recall, will the VRA cover towing for the bike to and from the dealership?
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-04-17 11:52 PM (#8709 - in reply to #7553)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
Received the recall letter & took my Vis into the dealer this AM. Service dept didn't know about it so they looked it up on their computer, printed out the pages, looked at the model #'s and said "it doesn't apply to your bike". I think that is BS and will have it checked at another Victory dealer w/ a tech I trust.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-04-18 8:35 AM (#8719 - in reply to #8709)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
CoolHandLuke - 2008-04-17 10:52 PM

Received the recall letter & took my Vis into the dealer this AM. Service dept didn't know about it so they looked it up on their computer, printed out the pages, looked at the model #'s and said "it doesn't apply to your bike". I think that is BS and will have it checked at another Victory dealer w/ a tech I trust.

This is amazing, a letter from Victory given to a dealer, and he said it did not apply. I just don't understand the thought process on that.
ez chair
Posted 2008-04-18 9:22 AM (#8721 - in reply to #7553)

Cruiser

Maine
I have had it done. It is a plastic ring that goes under the switch, then up into the switch base. It is then held in place with a compression rubber. Repair took 30 mins with no problem. Cool Hand, I belive it is all models as the letter said. I think that is all the way up to the March built bikes.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-04-19 1:10 AM (#8751 - in reply to #7553)

Visionary

So Cal
I would call the customer service number and get a second opinion.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-04-19 7:17 PM (#8770 - in reply to #7553)

Visionary

So Cal
Recall completed today. also got the ipod update. still havind ipod problems.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-04-20 10:31 AM (#8783 - in reply to #7553)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Well, I think this may be my problem. Don't know for sure. Intermittently , turn the switch on and the bike would turn over like it is trying to start, but no crank. Turn key off, turn key on, hit starter button and voila' bike runs. This morning go out to crank. Hit starter button, headlight goes off and everything goes blank on the dash. Hit the horn button it works. Hit the starter again and everything blanks. Cycle key switch off, then on, takes a few times but it fires off. I get the little battery light with exclamation on it lit up. Stays on for a bit then off. Well now, I'm off and running, pull into convenience store to refill Dr Pepper tank, they're not taking my free coupon, so I throw hands up in a depleted caffeinated way, shrug shoulders mumble to self and walk out with no DP. What a rough morning so far. Saddle up and bike fires right off. Under way, and about to get on the onramp to the freeway. MP3 quits playing, then I notice radio has now gone dead. Bike shudders and I notice it shut off too for a second, then it fires back up and radio is back on. Little nervous hit the onramp no problems, accelerate up to speed on freeway and bike gets to bucking and backfiring like a lightly irritated bull, this is not something I prefer to do at 70. So, I catch the next off ramp and pull into gas station. Pull in clutch, bike is idling at 1500-1800 rpm's. I just kill it out of frustration. Hop off and check battery connections, all good nothing loose. Start it back up, idle is back down around 1000 rpm. Radio is now working. Bike is shutting off and radio shuts off intermittently quite a bit before I get to work. One spot, I pull in clutch down shift a couple, release clutch, rear tire lights off like I had just locked it up. Took me a second before I pull the clutch back in, engine no running. Give it a second and pop the clutch to see if it would light the engine back off, apparently it does but not without a little hint of disgruntledness. Get all the way to work and now after writing this not quite sure if this is the problem after all. I guess it all depends on how many wires plug into that switch and what they control. Maybe!
VisionTex
Posted 2008-04-20 1:54 PM (#8796 - in reply to #8770)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
cjnoho - 2008-04-19 6:17 PM

Recall completed today. also got the ipod update. still havind ipod problems.

Was in yesterday and got the recall done.......took all of 15 minutes. I also asked about the updates on the I-pod (radio) controls, service manager didn't know about any. So I asked him to send e-mail to Victory on update, he did that while I was standing there. So he should know soon, sometimes you have to prod them into doing stuff that will help.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-04-22 12:01 AM (#8924 - in reply to #7553)

Visionary

So Cal
Others have had the ipod update and have no problem. I never use it off the Vision. Im starting to wonder if my ipod is to blame?
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-04-22 8:08 PM (#8943 - in reply to #7553)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
Had the recall done by none other than the Victory Guru himself, Kevinx of Polaris of Gainesville yesterday. Took abt 15 mins. Kevin also said to wait for update 4.18 that the Vic Techs are working on now. Ipod update 4.13 doesn't "fix" everything. So I'll wait.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™