You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Centre Console Removal???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Newfie
Posted 2008-03-29 6:49 PM (#7539)
Subject: Centre Console Removal???

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
I am considering mounting a RAM base to the centre console so I can mount my Zumo 550 in the same location where the Victory mount for the 2820 would be installed. Has anyone removed the centre console? Can you please post some instructions on how to remove the centre console? Thanks for any info/help you can provide.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mike s
Posted 2008-03-29 8:04 PM (#7543 - in reply to #7539)
Subject: Re: Centre Console Removal???

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
Open the fuel filler door and the MP3 storage door.
Lift up on the forward edge of the center cover panel (panel in front of seat) to remove.
Carefully (use flat-blade screwdriver wrapped in a rag) pry up on one side the instrument cluster surround and remove.
Remove 5(?) allen bolts securing center console in place.
Lift center console up and disconnect stereo harness.
Newfie
Posted 2008-03-30 12:45 AM (#7551 - in reply to #7543)

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
mike s - 2008-03-29 6:04 PM
pry up on one side the instrument cluster surround and remove.

Thanks Mike, that was the part I couldn't figure out. So does the instrument cluster surround attach with rubber gormmets similar to the centre cover panel in front of the seat? Any suggestion on which side/corner to pry out first?

Also, when I lifted up the panel in front of the seat there was a small unused wire connector. Any idea what this is? Any suggestions on where I can tap into a power supply that will be off when the key is off but on when the key is in the on or acc position? I don't want to wire the Zumo directly to the battery due to concern about forgetting to turn it off when I park the bike and draining the battery.
mike s
Posted 2008-03-30 5:55 PM (#7578 - in reply to #7551)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
It attaches with the same metal clips that hold the tourpack removal coverplate in place. Once you get the bezel removed, make sure all frou of them came out and are securely attached to the bezel.

As to the wiring...You couild use the wiring that is in place for attaching the Victory Tourtech/Garmin 2720 unit. Someone here did that recently, I believe. If you've got a volt/ohmmeter, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out which wires are which.

I'm not sure about the unused wire you saw. There are several unused connectors found throughout the bike.
Mudge
Posted 2008-03-30 9:11 PM (#7582 - in reply to #7578)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
If the extra connector you saw is a gray two prong cruciform type spade plug with a black ground and a gray\pink hot wire, it is a spare connector for the addition of an extra powerlet connector, like the ones in the glovebox and trunk. I used this to supply power to my Zumo 550 by cutting the plug off and replacing it with the female half of a snap together two pin plug from Radio Shack. I put the male half on the bare ends of the Zumo motorcycle power cord after running the cord underneath along the left side of the dash panel to the foreward underside of the left handlebar then ran it back along the existing wireing to the Zumo mount, fastening it to the existing wire tube and the mount base with black cable ties. The extra length of power cable I looped into about a 4 inch diameter coil tied with cable ties and tucked it into the inside of the left faring below the handlebar, leaving enough slack to turn the bars full left and right. Of course this method only powers the Zumo, it has no audio connection.

Edited by Mudge 2008-03-30 9:12 PM
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-03-30 9:18 PM (#7583 - in reply to #7539)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
It looks like Alberts46 mounted a gps with a base RAM mount here:
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=75&ph...
alberts46
Posted 2008-03-30 9:42 PM (#7589 - in reply to #7583)

Cruiser

Bonita Springs, FL
I used the suction cup mount that came with the Garmin 680, we put one bolt through into the Vision cover plate. You cannot see the bolt as it is covered by the little suction cup lever. I had purchased a Ram mount, but to use the MSN feature you have to use the 12v. cord supplied by Garmin as it has the MSN antennae built in. That cord will only plug into the suction cup base, you cannot plut it directly in the Nuvi.

Bill Alberts
cjnoho
Posted 2008-03-30 10:30 PM (#7592 - in reply to #7539)

Visionary

So Cal
Dont need to pry the cluster bezel, just grab in the center and pull straight back.
Newfie
Posted 2008-03-30 11:55 PM (#7599 - in reply to #7583)

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
JAM - 2008-03-30 7:18 PM

It looks like Alberts46 mounted a gps with a base RAM mount here:

That is exactly what I did this afternoon...Attached a round RAM base to mount my Zumo 550 on the dash in between the stereo display and the ignition switch, same place the Victory GPS mount would install. It worked out very well and looks great. I took a bunch of pictures along the way to show some of the steps. I will post a how to in the Tech Reference forum as soon as I can get some time to put it together.
mike s
Posted 2008-03-31 3:57 PM (#7649 - in reply to #7592)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
I tried that with mine when I installed the GPS mount and it wouldn't budge.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™