You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Adding a gauge to the shock
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

victoryvisiontour
Posted 2010-10-05 7:11 PM (#71084)
Subject: Adding a gauge to the shock

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
Checking the pressure in the shock is an inconvenience. Get out the shock pump and screw it on only to find out the pressure is ok. After doing this hundreds of times on the mountain bike, I added a gauge to the shock. Wow! What a convenience! Just a quick glance down tells me if the pressure is ok or needs adjusted.

http://picasaweb.google.com/victoryvisiontour/AddingAGaugeToAFoxSho...

I would like to do the same for the Vision shock. Obviously the gauge could not be hard mounted to the shock like I did the mountain bike. I think the best place would be next to the Schrader valve in the saddle bag. Anyone attempt adding a gauge to the Vision shock yet? I plan on doing so this winter and would like to see other peoples ideas if they exist.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rf43mn
Posted 2010-10-05 8:51 PM (#71095 - in reply to #71084)
Subject: RE: Adding a gauge to the shock

Cruiser

Willmar, MN
No...but now that you mention it...I already have the airline kit that I was going to do that with my Nomad. I think I will have to look into that.
hmd520
Posted 2010-10-08 5:09 PM (#71301 - in reply to #71084)
Subject: Re: Adding a gauge to the shock

Cruiser

Tucson , AZ
I sell a kit that allows you to air up and release at the push of a button. It is called Air on Command.... simular to an air ride kit.. but you retain the factory shock. I have this kit installed on my vision. We are offering a air guage that will connect in line. Much easier to control the pressure this way.
Makes it nice to air up when riding two up... instead of dealing with the rough road, or having to stop to manually pump in air.
HMD520@yahoo.com
Boots
Posted 2010-10-08 9:55 PM (#71312 - in reply to #71301)

Tourer

New Mexico
hmd520 - 2010-10-08 4:09 PM

I sell a kit that allows you to air up and release at the push of a button.

Do you have pics or a website?
Thomas
Posted 2010-10-09 11:47 AM (#71323 - in reply to #71084)

Central Wisconsin

Anyone attempt adding a gauge to the Vision shock yet? I plan on doing so this winter and would like to see other peoples ideas if they exist.
-----

I like your idea of adding an air shock gauge.

How about adding a tee fitting to the air line and

an air gauge mounted inside the small cavity to the right of the current air pressure fitting?

marcparnes
Posted 2010-10-09 6:10 PM (#71328 - in reply to #71084)

Iron Butt

You know what would be cool? How about using a Tire Pressure System to monitor the pressure in the shock? You couldn't adjust it remotely but only keep track of it. They sell them for 2,3 or 4 tires so you could get one for 3; the two tires and the shock. This is a good one I'm told.

Marc
hmd520
Posted 2010-10-09 6:16 PM (#71329 - in reply to #71312)

Cruiser

Tucson , AZ
Boots - 2010-10-08 9:55 PM

Do you have pics or a website?

The website is HMD520.com.... we are working on it being up and running in a week. We are still working on the pics of the air ride and the air on command.. sorry.
KansasGuardsman
Posted 2010-10-09 8:32 PM (#71335 - in reply to #71084)

Cruiser

Wichita, Kansas

I use the tire gard on my VV and asked the company about that before I bought it last year. Two things. Most sensors use centrifugal force to activate the transmitter to keep the batteries from running down, so it won't turn on since it's not moving. Second, the shock would see all the pulses of pressure as the bike went over bumps, so it would be constantly in the alert mode. He liked my idea, but expressed regret that it wouldn't work so I should save the money and buy the two channel.

Another possibilty is to tap the schrader valve using the AFB-1 air shock kit.

http://www.autopartsdealer.com/progressive_air_fork_balance_kits-p398111-p.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=APD398111

You could screw the second cap on the guage and mount it and the fill remotely.  I had one on my Mean Streak rears to balance the pressures, but you could use the second one as the guage and not have to cut the air line.  Or onbe of our metalworking brothers could fab up a block with schrader threads and a side port in 1/8 pipe or so; then you could hook up whatever you wanted.

Edited by KansasGuardsman 2010-10-09 8:44 PM
varyder
Posted 2010-10-09 8:38 PM (#71336 - in reply to #71084)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks KG, that's great information. Not saying all that stuff ain't great ideas, but I can't keep up with the speedo reading, I'd never keep up with all that extra stuff.
marcparnes
Posted 2010-10-10 7:44 AM (#71346 - in reply to #71335)

Iron Butt

KansasGuardsman - 2010-10-09 5:32 PM

I use the tire gard on my VV and asked the company about that before I bought it last year. Two things. Most sensors use centrifugal force to activate the transmitter to keep the batteries from running down, so it won't turn on since it's not moving. Second, the shock would see all the pulses of pressure as the bike went over bumps, so it would be constantly in the alert mode. He liked my idea, but expressed regret that it wouldn't work so I should save the money and buy the two channel.

I considered the activation issue but according to Doran's website the sensors send readings every 6 mins regardless if the bike is moving or not. The pulsing would be an issue, though. I guess if a guy really wanted to use it he could turn off the monitor when not needed and turn it back on for a pressure check when not moving. Probably not worth it then. Oh well

Marc 

marcparnes
Posted 2010-10-10 8:05 AM (#71347 - in reply to #71084)

Iron Butt

Coming back to the Doran TPS used as a suspension monitor, I sent their Product Manager the following email:

Hi Lee,
You know what would be really cool would be if your system could not only read and report on a bike's tire pressures but also it's rear suspension setting. Your sensor is perfect for that function since it doesn't need to be moving to work like some of the other ones do. The issue would be the pressure pulsing from hitting bumps setting off the alarm. If it was possible to have one circuit be optioned to "read only" then that wouldn't be a problem. Just think of all the Harley and other cruiser bikes with air suspension and no means to monitor it without doing it manually. It could be a huge market and enough of an incentive for a rider to buy one for his tires where he might have been on the fence about it before. Like me and my Victory Vision :-)

Something to think about.

Thanks,
Marc

So, lets see what happens

Marc
LindaB
Posted 2010-10-10 9:01 AM (#71351 - in reply to #71084)

Puddle Jumper

I never understood why Vic didnt take it a step further with a few things like that. Yamaha's Venture Royal had a dash control to inflate/deflate suspension back in 83 so it's not like the technology isn't there yet. Also I always ride alone and pack my gear on the back seat making the seat heater controls inaccessible without fumbling and taking hands off the bars for far too long. I like to ride pretty far in between stops and it's a pain to have to pull over to make these adjustments. Listen to me whine ... I know I'm spoiled to be riding one of these ... but if there is room to improve I think they should be tweeking everything they can to get their name out there with Hardly Ableson's.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™