You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

what kind of oil
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

samlee
Posted 2008-03-16 11:18 PM (#6991)
Subject: what kind of oil

Puddle Jumper

I know this has likley been discussed before...but... the Victory dealer says to use only the Victory motor oil. They say other synthetics such as Amsoil or Mobile 1 will result with poor clutch action.

I've been around bikes alot of years and seems if the oil is designed to work with a wet clutch it should work with the Victory...

I'd like to use a full synthetic Moblie 1/Amsoil/Royal purple...

Anyone out there using somthing different than Victory oil in their Vision??

thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JetJock
Posted 2008-03-17 4:20 AM (#7001 - in reply to #6991)
Subject: RE: what kind of oil

Puddle Jumper

Prescott, AZ
I use AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCF). It's 100% synthetic and API SL/CF. One of the biggest advantages of AMSOIL synthetic motorcycle oil is the wide temperature range. The pour point is -51°F and the flash point is +453°F. That's a 504°F temperature range! No matter how cold or hot it is outside, the oil in my Victory Vision is not a concern.

AMSOIL motorcycle oil also provides excellent wet clutch performance. "AMSOIL MCF contains no friction modifiers and promotes smooth shifting and positive clutch engagement. AMSOIL MCF controls heat and prevents slippage and glazing, helping improve clutch life. AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil meets the wet clutch frictional requirements of MA/MA2 as outlined in JASO Standard T903: 2006."

I also use the AMSOIL EaO13 oil filter on my Victory Vision. It is a perfect match for the Polaris #2540086 oil filter that came on the motorcycle. In fact, it is apparent that both oil filters are made by the same manufacturer!

Don't forget to buy a supply of "Oil Drain Washers" for the oil drain plug from your Victory dealer. The Victory part number is 5812232 and the washers cost 75 cents apiece. You should use a new washer every time you reinstall the drain plug.

samlee
Posted 2008-03-17 8:27 AM (#7008 - in reply to #7001)

Puddle Jumper

wow!

thanks, I sort of figured the dealer was giving me a marketing pitch...
samlee
Posted 2008-03-17 8:28 AM (#7009 - in reply to #6991)
Subject: Re: what kind of oil

Puddle Jumper

thanks!

I sort of figured I was getting the Victory marketing pitcth.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-03-17 8:33 AM (#7010 - in reply to #6991)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I've been using MOBIL 1 synthetic since the first 500 mile oil change. Put in the mobil 1 oil filter and I call it good. My dealer also was trying to get me to use the Victory Blend. But knowing that they don't produce the oil, they buy it from somebody and put their label on it, is no different than most brands. I'm sure the Dealer has a larger profit margin on the Victory brand. If I did, I would probably try to get you to use it. However, if I really wanted to get you to buy it I would make it comparable in price to what is on the market. I can buy the full synthetic Mobil 1 for around 8 bucks a quart. The Victory Blend is 8 or 9 and it is semi-synthetic. If I am going the synthetic route might as well go all the way.

Edited by pollolittle 2008-03-17 8:36 AM
RedRider
Posted 2008-03-17 2:14 PM (#7019 - in reply to #6991)

Visionary

"If I am going the synthetic route might as well go all the way."

Thanks for the chuckle. You do know that Mobil 1 comes from dino oil base? Thank a federal judge for that.
Amsoil and only 2 others are true synthetics. It would be nice to cut back on foreign oil dependency too. At least the semi-synthetic admits to not being true synthetic.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-03-18 10:19 AM (#7066 - in reply to #6991)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Alright, since I obviously don't have a clue. Please provide what data you have to support your claim. I am the first to want to learn more. I saw the statement between Mobil 1 and Castrol how they redefined synthetic and the cost associated with it. So, if all I am doing is wee weeing money away. Then I might as well go back to just straight motor oil. I have a car that has over 200,000 miles on it and it is still happy, never used synthetic in it all. Let me know be glad to hear.
mike s
Posted 2008-03-18 10:53 AM (#7067 - in reply to #6991)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
Yeah, an oil thread!!!!

I am currenlty using Amsoil. I've used other oils in Vic engines (Mobil1, Rotella, Vic, etc) and have found Amsoil seems to work best FOR ME. Over the years, others have claimed to have had issues with using Amsoil in thier Vics, primarily with clutch slippage. I have no reason to doubt their claims, but can only attest to what I have experienced.

With other oils, I could tell when the oil had outlived it's usefulness. It was generally around 2,500 miles I would begin to notice shifting issues, excessive noise, and difficulty getting to neutral. It was more prevalant with conventional oils than with semi- or "full" synthetics, but by 3,000 miles all other oils I tried were READY to be changed.

I still change my oil roughly every 3,000 miles even with the Amsoil. It's just an old habit that's tough to break. But if I happen to be on a trip and realize I've surpassed the 3,000 mile mark, I don't worry about it. And it's more apt to happen like that now, as I'm not seeing the issues I previously had letting me know I need to change the oil soon. Luckily, the Vision has a second trip meter to keep track on my oil mileage...
VisionBoy
Posted 2008-03-19 1:16 PM (#7071 - in reply to #7019)

Puddle Jumper

west bend, wi
BlueOx USA - 2008-03-17 1:14 PM

".... You do know that Mobil 1 comes from dino oil base?..."

I read this a while back as well but just went looking to find the proof.... I can't find anything that states that Mobil 1 is anything but full synthetic. In fact it says 'full synthetic' all over the Mobil website, documentation and the PI specs. Does anyone know the truth?
pollolittle
Posted 2008-03-19 2:53 PM (#7072 - in reply to #6991)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Ahh the truth, leave it to PR and marketing to bury it. This must be the part where resistance is futile and I give up and just use what I want. There no issues. Just change it occassionally and ride the rest of the time. YAHOOO!
VisionTex
Posted 2008-03-19 3:12 PM (#7073 - in reply to #7072)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
If you read this, http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html and part 2 of this article you will gain a lot of knowledge on the age old issue of "What Kind of OIL", or not. If you gleen these articles you will figure out Mobil 1 base stock. Hope this helps.
tralphaz
Posted 2008-03-19 7:36 PM (#7076 - in reply to #7073)

Tourer

Haven't checked it out yet but might be a good source of info.......
http://themotoroilsite.com/forums/

I also have a copy of the "Motor Oil Bible" which has a lot of information on oil, it can be had for free from the site linked above.
nowor2l8
Posted 2008-03-25 4:16 PM (#7283 - in reply to #6991)

Cruiser

Northwest of you

I am pleased to see that "Oil" threads are so well received on this site.

On other sites, there is often a moan when someone asks about oil and you will hear the famous "here we go again" cry.

I, on the other hand, happen to love them and so here is my "take" on it.

First off, if you want the best technical answer I have seen, read Mark Lawrence' article All about oil.

Then get some Shell Rotela T synthetic at wal-mart and while you are there pick up their oil filter (made by

the same company and to the spcs of Mobil 1, ST7317, I think).

You will save yourself a bunch of money and I think you'll be better off.

samlee
Posted 2008-03-25 4:56 PM (#7285 - in reply to #6991)

Puddle Jumper

great discussion...I guess my question at this time is has anyone actually experienced first hand or have first hand knowledge of clutch problems the Vic dealer warns about when using full synthetic oil? I usually view dealer warnings such as this rather lightly, but I do not want to assume...
I know Amsoil is supposed to be recommended for the Victory... and the only experience I have to go on is that I used Mobile 1 10W40 motorcycle oil in the primary on my Electra Glide (I traded for the Vision) with no clutch problems...in fact there was an improvement...

Don't want to beat this horse too much longer, just trying to do good research

thanks

Former Harley Rider
08 Victory Vision - Black
Northern Alabama
Breaker
Posted 2008-03-25 5:36 PM (#7287 - in reply to #7283)

Iron Butt

Western WA
nowor2l8 - 2008-03-25 1:16 PM

I am pleased to see that "Oil" threads are so well received on this site.

On other sites, there is often a moan when someone asks about oil and you will hear the famous "here we go again" cry.

I, on the other hand, happen to love them and so here is my "take" on it.

First off, if you want the best technical answer I have seen, read Mark Lawrence' article All about oil.

Then get some Shell Rotela T synthetic at wal-mart and while you are there pick up their oil filter (made by

the same company and to the spcs of Mobil 1, ST7317, I think).

You will save yourself a bunch of money and I think you'll be better off.

I have used the Rotela syn from WalMart in two bikes and never had a problem.

I put 18,000 on an 06 Suzuki C50T with a K&N oil filter and the thing purrs like a kitten and the clutch is as good as the day I picked it up. I still changed the oil at 3000 (because I'm paranoid), but I have known folks that went longer between changes and have suffered no ill effects.

But oil is like food - everyone has their favorite.
Joe H
Posted 2008-03-25 8:21 PM (#7295 - in reply to #6991)

Cruiser

Eyota, MN
I used Amsoil 20w-50 in my Kingpin from 5000 miles to 33,500 miles, all year round, and it ran flawlessly. I plan on switching my Vision at 5000 miles also. I like to let the engine breakin good with the Victory oil first then switch it.
jama
Posted 2008-03-26 2:05 AM (#7314 - in reply to #6991)

Cruiser

Arkansas
I'm pretty sure that Mobil1 is a PolyAlphaOlefin. Amsoil was the first of this type
and is full synthetic, non dino base stock. I' used it(M1) in my HD's and my GL1800 and in
two previous Victory's; never a problem and I know where all these bikes are now(except for
the vegas) and they are still problem free!
Just had to put in my 2 cents!

Edited by jama 2008-03-26 2:09 AM
focushere
Posted 2008-03-26 8:22 AM (#7318 - in reply to #6991)

Cruiser

I use AMSOIL also and my dealer said it was fine.
stretch
Posted 2008-03-30 8:21 PM (#7579 - in reply to #7283)

Puddle Jumper

Adamsville, Tn
Do you know the part numbers for the Rotella oil and filter?
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-03-30 9:20 PM (#7584 - in reply to #6991)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Lloyd Greer uses Amsoil in his bikes, including his race bike.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-04-02 11:17 AM (#7738 - in reply to #6991)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Breaker or nowor218, I have never seen a Rotella Synthetic for Bikes or their filter at Walmart. I see their Shell Rotella for Diesel Trucks which I use. So, got a number on either like stretch was asking.

Edited by pollolittle 2008-04-02 11:19 AM
Breaker
Posted 2008-04-02 12:50 PM (#7742 - in reply to #6991)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Might be the part of the county you live in pollolittle whether WalMart stocks the oil or not.

I'll go see if I have a bottle in the garage and get the numbers for you.
nowor2l8
Posted 2008-04-02 7:37 PM (#7753 - in reply to #6991)

Cruiser

Northwest of you

The filter is with the other "bike" filters and it's number  is ST7317.

The oil is the one you are refering to, Shell Rotella T (in the blue jug) synthetic 5w-40.

Breaker
Posted 2008-04-02 10:06 PM (#7760 - in reply to #7753)

Iron Butt

Western WA
nowor2l8 - 2008-04-02 4:37 PM

The filter is with the other "bike" filters and it's number is ST7317.

The oil is the one you are refering to, Shell Rotella T (in the blue jug) synthetic 5w-40.

i

Yep, 'blue jug' Shell Rotella T.

I see that K&N isn't currently making a filter specifically for the Vision yet. I have liked the K&N.

Once again, I don't have the bike yet, so are any of the other Vic (K&N) filters interchangeable?
stretch
Posted 2008-04-02 10:14 PM (#7762 - in reply to #7738)

Puddle Jumper

Adamsville, Tn
don't want to hijack a thread but , Hey pollo I was at frs a few weeks ago and asked if they had to do any work on a vision yet. They said nothing mechanical but they had to do some body work on one. Was that yours?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™