You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

VFC III
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

jama
Posted 2008-03-02 10:24 PM (#6145)
Subject: VFC III

Cruiser

Arkansas
Just installed my VFC III yesterday; wow, what job getting my fingers around those injector plugs!
Anyway, I ran it just as it came from LLoydz (Dobeck performance). Couldn't verify that the settings were in agreement with the instructions since the instructions did not list my configuration ( S1L1 download already on ECM, K&N filter installed and air horn removed). The instructions do have multiple errors; i.e. calling female plug a male plug, for example.

I was surprised to find that the rear O2 sensor is left out of the system altogether.

Anyway, about the performance: Throttle response seems more crisp and linear. Power seems improved slightly. MPG is up 20% to 25% by the "avg mpg" display, compared to the readings before replacement!

Now down to the meat of my question. I have a problem with the engine dying immediately when cracking throttle from idle. This can be avoided by gradually opening it or bliping once before committing to it. But, it quit like this this 4 times in a 5 mile ride-after stopping at a light and just as I was opening throttle- dead without so much as a cough! And, also when moving slowly after someone turned off in front of me-give it gas and whooomp-dead.

Don't know if this is too little gas(I think so) or too much gas at initial opening. I have since changed the green setting and the yellow ; and the yellow/blue (sensitivity) with no change in this symptom. Has anyone with the VFC had a similar experience or did you alter the factory settings?
I have since returned my settings to the original seeing that it made no difference.
I'm happy with the VFC, but this symptom has gotta go! Hope I can get LLoyd on the phone tomorrow.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mike s
Posted 2008-03-03 10:02 AM (#6171 - in reply to #6145)
Subject: Re: VFC III

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
Not sure on your problem, as I've only had the bike stall out on me like that one once. However, I did want to note that BOTH O2 sensors are taken out of the system by the VFC. The front sensor in disconnected where the VFC mounts.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-03-03 11:15 AM (#6176 - in reply to #6171)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Why would you want to have the O2 sensors disconnected? That doesn't make for very good EFI, one might as well go back to the Carb.
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-03-03 12:36 PM (#6191 - in reply to #6145)

Cruiser

Florida
It's happened to me a few times. I discussed it with the wrench and he said I was the only one to mention it to him. I've read about it here and have seen too many different fixes. I figure I'll live with it until the issue is identified and a firm fix is found.

Where I've noticed it was after exiting the highway and when down-shifting to a stop. It sometimes dies as I'm rolling to a stop. It's also happened a couple of times as I'm starting from a stop...not a clutch issue, it just suddenly dies and all I have to do is pull in the clutch and restart. I can't duplicate it on demand so it's difficult to show to the mechanic. One strange thing was it happened once while rolling to a stop so I released the clutch to jump start it, and it didn't work...so I stopped attempting that type of restart and simply press the ignition button.
jama
Posted 2008-03-03 9:15 PM (#6233 - in reply to #6145)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Thanks guys for your responses. That's helpful. I did talk to Adam at Lloydz today and we turned off the VFC III and the problem went away. Soooo... we're thinking there is already too much fuel in the S1L1 download; and it can't take the added fuel from the VFC. Oh well, I guess we'll figure it out. I'll have to wait, though, gotta go see Mickey Mouse this week, in Orlando.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-03-03 10:24 PM (#6240 - in reply to #6233)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
jama - Adam's a very good wrench, glad you got to speak with him. If you are going to Orlando, you might consider going alittle farther to Daytona. Lloyd is there his dyno during bike week and it'd be great to have him give it a look.
mike s
Posted 2008-03-04 10:05 AM (#6259 - in reply to #6145)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
Personally, I'd have he stock map re-installed and then tune via the VFC.
devilboy
Posted 2008-03-04 9:36 PM (#6277 - in reply to #6259)

Cruiser

Central Florida
I didnt get that feeling with my S1L1 Pipes. I havent installed the VFC 3 or diffuser yet and I am getting popping and backfiring with
s1l1 download and pipes... I guess each bike is different.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-03-04 9:56 PM (#6278 - in reply to #6277)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
devilboy, mine does the same, talked to the shop about it and they indicated nothing could be done. With the closed system, the remap is what it is........I have always been told that the popping is due to being too lean. I'm running about 40-42 mpg right now. No other issues with it though.
jama, with an increase of 20 to 25% in fuel economy, I would think the motor is running lean. If you were avg. 40 before the Lloydz that means your running close to 50 mpg now. That seems a little lean. I had a Lloydz II on my Kingpin and I could adjust it too lean, believe you'll just have to play with it a little. Find a dyno!
DesertJim
Posted 2008-03-04 10:34 PM (#6280 - in reply to #6277)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
devilboy - 2008-03-04 7:36 PM

I didnt get that feeling with my S1L1 Pipes. I havent installed the VFC 3 or diffuser yet and I am getting popping and backfiring with
s1l1 download and pipes... I guess each bike is different.

I had the S1/L1 installed about 2 months ago, maybe longer, but my dealer told me I would have some poppin and cracklin for a while. Sure enough, I think the V is just about over all those hiccups.
I think I might even miss em, kinda cool like some old bikes that were always out of wack.

Edited by DesertJim 2008-03-04 10:36 PM
devilboy
Posted 2008-03-05 5:17 AM (#6288 - in reply to #6280)

Cruiser

Central Florida
I know it is still running lean..looking forward to adding VFC 3 and diffuser.
I really dont give a rats butt about gas mileage but want optimal acceleration and roll on.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-03-06 12:04 AM (#6350 - in reply to #6145)

Visionary

So Cal
Pop on decell dosent always mean there is a problem. Most aftermarket exhaust & carb manufacturers will specify this in the install instructions. Last two bikes had 2 into 1 exhaust. Both popped on decell. Dyno confirmed proper a/f ratio. As log as there is no leak at intake & exhaust to head seal, pop might be normal. Parts are tuned for accell not decell. Most of it can be eliminated by richening a/f ratio but is not in the best intrest for power and efficiency. Eliminating O2 sensor dosent make sense. Optimum output based on O2 sensor input is the best thing about closed loop EFI.
Mudge
Posted 2008-04-11 5:32 PM (#8252 - in reply to #6145)
Subject: RE: VFC III

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
JAMA: Has the problem you detailed in your original post been resolved? If so, how? I'm getting ready to install a VFC and wondering if I should hold off a while.

PALM BEACH RIDER: Regarding your post; did this stalling problem begin after insrtalling a VFC lll or is it with your stock setup? Mine ( Stage 1, level 1) dies on decel sometimes and I'm hoping this wil be remedied by the ignition switch recall fix which will be done next week.

Edited by Mudge 2008-04-11 5:39 PM
jama
Posted 2008-04-12 2:45 AM (#8282 - in reply to #8252)

Cruiser

Arkansas

JAMA: Has the problem you detailed in your original post been resolved? If so, how? I'm getting ready to install a VFC and wondering if I should hold off a while.

Mudge,

We ended up putting the stock download back on and changing some of the VFC III settings per Lloyd. It is much improved, but not cured. I still get an occasional stall coming off idle. There is no decel popping. I do get a single pop at shift and often when coming off idle after coasting for a second or two. I believe people may think I'm shooting at them!
I'm getting about 40-42 mpg overall; but my avg mpg readout shows about 46. I wonder where the signal pick-off is? it may be before the VFC III adds its fuel and possibly that explains the optimistic readout. Anybody know? I'm hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel on this issue.
Mudge
Posted 2008-04-12 12:18 PM (#8293 - in reply to #8282)

Tourer

JAMA; Thanks for your reply. Though my Vision seems to be running about as lean as possible (Heavy popping on decel, heat, deeply blued header pipes..) I think I'll hold off a bit 'till more information becomes availale. No doubt that what appears to be a lean as possible factory Stage 1 map was to meet EPA mandates.
Mudge
Posted 2008-04-12 4:48 PM (#8310 - in reply to #8293)

Tourer

JAMA: Been giving it some thought and am wondering if you had the TPS recalibrated when the re-flash was done. Could the TPS setting be the problem causing your engine to kill when rolling on the throttle from idle?
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-04-12 9:01 PM (#8325 - in reply to #6145)

Cruiser

Florida
My setup is simple: S1L1 exhaust with the tail gunners. The stalling problem is rare, but still happens. It's impossible to duplicate. When it has happened in the past, it's been after a highway cruise and stalls when coming to a stop.

I'm getting a bit of black dust (carbon) build-up on the tips and will talk to the dealer about the gaskets.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-04-12 10:02 PM (#8341 - in reply to #6145)

Visionary

So Cal
I dont know if I like the idea of disconnecting the O2 sensors. Some of the most powerful engines in the world are using the wide band sensors to squeeze out every last bit of power while still maintaining EPA standards. I just assumed that the remap from victory would take advantage of a freer flowing exhaust with a more aggressive advance curve and slightly richer fuel mixture.
Im not sure what kind of sensors victory is using but with just the high flow air cleaner and exhaust the stock map and computer should be able to compensate as long as the fuel trim and block learn stay within the computers range of adaptability.
jama
Posted 2008-04-12 11:25 PM (#8345 - in reply to #6145)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Mudge, I would doubt the TPS theory, since I can make the problem go away by turning off the VFC III. At least I could before I went back to the stock download-haven't tried running the S1L1 hardware without the VFC being on, since I reverted to that!
Mudge
Posted 2008-04-13 12:36 AM (#8349 - in reply to #8345)

Tourer

I understand. You probably would not want to turn off the VFC if you are running with the S1L1 hardware, since the programming would revert to stock with the 02 sensors still out of the system. Could be a dangerously lean situation. I still think though that the TPS setting may be a problem. It may be giving a false throttle position reading, or a reading being erroneousl interpreted by the injector programming when the VFC is turned on, which may be within spec when the VFC is turned off. Its just a theory of course, but you might want to try checking the TPS on the digital wrench with the VFC turned on with your new stock download. It may not help, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.
jama
Posted 2008-04-13 2:02 AM (#8352 - in reply to #6145)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Worth a try; I'll run that by my dealer when I' m in for the ignition recall
this Friday. Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread