You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

gas milage stock or with stage 1
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

bikeit02
Posted 2010-05-17 10:00 PM (#60065)
Subject: gas milage stock or with stage 1

Puddle Jumper

oskaloosa, IA United States
Do you have a change in the gas mileage when you go to the stage one on the V.V. I want to go with the stage one but do not want the gas mileage to go down. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this subject Dale.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-17 11:08 PM (#60072 - in reply to #60065)
Subject: Re: gas milage stock or with stage 1

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I have the s1l1 setup and my mileage improved !
donetracey
Posted 2010-05-18 1:10 AM (#60075 - in reply to #60065)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
WHY ????

Are you a person who would buy a Ferrari, and then ask for instructions on how to get the best gas mileage? Get a Vespa....

(sorry - I just don't understand the whole 'gas mileage' thing. I buy 'performance' vehicles - and I want performance, not economy)
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2010-05-18 6:32 AM (#60078 - in reply to #60065)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Dale - I've seen all cases: better | same | worse fuel economy. One might reason that some get worse because they are more apt to get on the throttle because they enjoy the sound more. I think it really depends on your riding habit, the particular motor in question, and how well your dealer dials in the map change. In most cases, the change is minimal, better or worse.
bikeit02
Posted 2010-05-18 6:44 AM (#60079 - in reply to #60075)

Puddle Jumper

oskaloosa, IA United States
I did not buy a Ferrari and I would not but buy one. I use my motorcycle for transportation and for the pleasure of the ride and would hate to give up gas to have a change in the tone of my bike.

Have a good day
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-18 9:13 AM (#60082 - in reply to #60079)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
bikeit02 - 2010-05-18 6:44 AM

I did not buy a Ferrari and I would not but buy one. I use my motorcycle for transportation and for the pleasure of the ride and would hate to give up gas to have a change in the tone of my bike.

Have a good day

dont worry about asking about the MPG. as i posted earlier, i didnt loose any.. if anything i gained a few, this might be because the engine can inhale and exhale a little better.. i also added a power commander 5 to my setup and my mileage still hasnt gone down. and i have alot better throttle response and cold starts!
varyder
Posted 2010-05-18 10:31 AM (#60086 - in reply to #60065)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I guess we all have our reasons, but I wouldn't mind the upgrade to increase the mpg's. It's really not about that though, it's about increasing the distance travelled between gas stops. Another aspect of gas mileage is also how well your motor is performing and is there problems developing that is often indicated by a drop in mpg's. A good example for me is that I saw my gas mileage was around 38 mpg prior to my fuel pump going. With the new pump I'm consistantly back to 40 mpg's as it was before. It didn't tell what the problem was, but it now tells me I had a problem.
rwilly
Posted 2010-05-18 11:16 AM (#60089 - in reply to #60065)

Tourer

seattle, wa
I just got back from a 1500 mile trip, all freeway with the cruise set at 75 MPH. I averaged 38 MPG. I have S1L1 with cams and VFC. I bought the bike with the S1L1 installed so I don't know what stock is. I don't consider the Vision a performance vehicle, the new BMW S1000RR is a performance vehicle. I use the bike for same things you do, I don't think you will lose much MPG if any, when you switch to S1L1.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-18 11:58 AM (#60090 - in reply to #60089)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
rwilly - 2010-05-18 11:16 AM

I just got back from a 1500 mile trip, all freeway with the cruise set at 75 MPH. I averaged 38 MPG. I have S1L1 with cams and VFC. I bought the bike with the S1L1 installed so I don't know what stock is. I don't consider the Vision a performance vehicle, the new BMW S1000RR is a performance vehicle. I use the bike for same things you do, I don't think you will lose much MPG if any, when you switch to S1L1.

I agree with u. I don't consider the vision a performance motorcycle as well. At least in stock OEM condition... hell the vision even has the milder cans of the 106 victory motors. Just look at the intended purpose of this bike. And what are serious touring people concerned with? Fuel range... I get asked that all the time from other touring motorcyclists. .
donetracey
Posted 2010-05-18 12:25 PM (#60091 - in reply to #60065)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Hope I never get THAT old..... I put gas in the tank when needed. I put gas in the injectors when I feel like it - and the Vision can be a performance motorcycle - at least WAY better than stock. And WAY better than any legal cager.
This SERIOUS rider is concerned with THE RIDE - not where I get to, and not how good my mileage was getting there. Sorry.
varyder
Posted 2010-05-18 12:45 PM (#60092 - in reply to #60065)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
...Don we can define serious rider anyway we want to, but blowing out over a thousand miles a day I would prefer to stop the least amount of times as possible and still get there in a reasonable amount of time. But that is just me and how I like to roll. If I'm going on a stroll, then I understand what you are saying...
donetracey
Posted 2010-05-18 1:38 PM (#60093 - in reply to #60065)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Sorry Chris. But if the DESTINATION (1000 miles) is what it is about - then take the car. I NEVER care about miles - I care about THE RIDE.
Stop when you don't feel like riding anymore - NOT when you get to your 1000 miles. Maybe when you get to 2000 miles - or 200 miles - going the wrong way - who cares? Not me.
Mileage? We've got people on the road now using 'coasting' techniques in their cars to get better mileage - pissing the HELL out of the guys behind them. My KevinXinated VV gets better mileage than a Corvette - and will outperform one (up to 100+ mph) - good enough for me.
Performance? KevinX was showing his latest batch of converts how to pull a wheelie with the Vision....
And I would bet that if I drove the same speed, accelerated at the same rate, slowed at the same rate - I would have BETTER mileage than a stock Vision - it just makes sense. My engine is running more efficiently than stock.
varyder
Posted 2010-05-18 1:49 PM (#60094 - in reply to #60065)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
It's almost as we are not talking about the same thing... I never in general go out and ride just for the fun of it, but the ride is the fun of it. Whether I'm going to Texas to see my son, or riding on business to Detroit, I'm on a mission. If it is the wife and I out just to stroll around, yes, we can talk about the same thing.
mkultra
Posted 2010-05-18 2:17 PM (#60096 - in reply to #60065)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
The two largerst fuel mileage factors for me are, my right hand twisting, and believe it or not the temperature. Below about 65 degrees i get high 30s mpg., abvove 65 it starts to climb, peaking out at about the low 90 degree temps., with mid to upper 40s mpg.

mike
donetracey
Posted 2010-05-18 2:55 PM (#60099 - in reply to #60094)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

varyder - 2010-05-18 11:49 AM It's almost as we are not talking about the same thing... I never in general go out and ride just for the fun of it, but the ride is the fun of it. Whether I'm going to Texas to see my son, or riding on business to Detroit, I'm on a mission. If it is the wife and I out just to stroll around, yes, we can talk about the same thing.

I think I understand. Back in the 1970's I used to get up every weekday morning, put on my suit and tie, then my raingear. And I would go out and hop on my Honda 250cc Twin and ride to work in the rain. NOT because I had to (I had a car) - but because I enjoyed the ride.

After years of scraping off the rain crud - I gradually went away from using the bike as transportation. Instead - it is enjoyment. If I have a destination that must be attended - I take a plane, train or automobile. Bikes are to get lost on - for me and my beautiful woman. And camping is "a weekend at The Waldorf". So saving $10.00 a month in lower fuel costs is not a factor.

Teach
Posted 2010-05-18 3:35 PM (#60101 - in reply to #60065)

Visionary

I'm bone stock and average about 43-50 mpg depending upon the type of riding I'm doing. Having talked with some folks who had Lloyds do the cams, pipes and all the other extra's have seen improvements in fuel economy. I suppose if you get the right combination and have it tuned properly you'll see improvements, if not you can end up worse or the same.
On one of my RoadGlides my mpg was always 50 mpg. I changed the slip ons andit dropped to 44. Tried another set of pipes and that yielded even worse at 42 mpg. Needless to say I went back to the original pipes and it went back to 50 mpg.
My VV has been dropping a little on mpg and is leaning more around 43-44 mpg, so I'm thinking it is time for some new plugs and an air filter.
varyder
Posted 2010-05-18 3:36 PM (#60102 - in reply to #60065)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I might be there one day.

I've only been riding for 5 years again and it seems like I'm making up for lost time at age 51, there is no road long enough, I just don't have the time. The wife on the other had is getting upset with me because I like riding on the business trips and I have one to Dallas next month for a day. I'm still up in the air as to fly or ride, again, time is the only factor.
Blue Sky Guy
Posted 2014-02-05 1:46 AM (#151034 - in reply to #60065)

Tourer

scotts valley, California
Yah, ambient air temperature is definitely a factor with fuel consumption; about a factor of 20% (50mpg f/w cruise control set at 75 with temp in the 90's, 40 mpg f/w cruise control set at 75 with temp in the low 50's). Now my question is would one grade of gas be better for the warm temps? and, Kevin, could resetting the fuel controller for the season improve performance and/or economy?

Although I am far from rich, I'm not into pinching pennies on gas; my VV is my number one therapy and she gives me a lot of joy whatever the mileage. I just turned 73 years of life on this planet and still intend to ride coast to coast and back when I'm 75; no iron butt stuff, just the usual 5-700 miles a day. The VV is unquestionably the bike to do it on, whatever you're "doin'".
Haze_Gray
Posted 2014-02-05 7:31 AM (#151038 - in reply to #60065)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, VA
I get anywhere from 38 to 50 mpg depending on how I feel. Cranking it through some back roads, getting on the throttle gives me about 38 mpg. Just cruising along with no where to go I'll get about 50 mpg. The most I've gotten till the low light came on was 253 miles and I filled it up with 5.1 gallons. But I really like the fact that no matter who or what I'm riding with, they need gas first. My Vision has the high flow front air filter and I just installed the timing wheel about 200 miles ago. I'm in for the ride. If I want to get somewhere faster, I'll take the Interstate. Freedom.
DSmith
Posted 2014-02-05 8:39 AM (#151039 - in reply to #60065)

Cruiser

Bainville, & Mesa, AZ, MT
Dale, I only had the original pipes for about a 1000 miles, but I didn't notice any significant change when I upgraded to stage one level two's. And personally I don't think a 1000 miles is enough to give you an accurate mileage reading. I did notice a drop when I did the cam's though. The gas mileage question always has some huge differences, many really don't know what they are getting and just report what the computer says. My mileage has been 38.49 for the last year, with a high of 46.68 to a low of 16.9. That's a pretty wide range I think that is probably caused by the wrist, elevation changes, temp, ect.
ByteN2it
Posted 2014-02-05 9:37 AM (#151042 - in reply to #60065)

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
I have S1L2 pipes, twin sucker air cleaner, cams, timing wheel, & VFC3. My mileage is up a bit from stock. I believe the engine is running more efficiently so it's not working as hard.
Blue Sky Guy
Posted 2014-02-05 10:43 AM (#151044 - in reply to #60065)

Tourer

scotts valley, California
I agree, 1000 miles is not enough for an accurate mileage check, and the computer gives you varying results depending on its mood. My mileage checks are based on 2-4000 mile blocks using pump measured gallons and odometer measure miles (calibrating odometer with gps.) The whole issue is just a point of interest having no real matters of consequence.
smadge
Posted 2014-02-05 12:23 PM (#151047 - in reply to #60065)

Cruiser

Kerrville Texas ( now a homeowner on six acres)
well, I have not posted alot but,

My loveley bride and I took a trip from Kerrville Tex. to cal.,through Az. NM and through vegas and back to Kerrville .The total miles was four thousand four hundred fifteen miles. We were always twwo up and had lots of "stuffff". Our 08 vision has a stage one kit . No other modifications other than a little dealer installed chrome. THE gas mileage for the trip was 42.73. I was verry happy with this. It was a great trip !!!!

Smadge
YENRABSRIDE
Posted 2014-02-05 1:28 PM (#151048 - in reply to #60065)

Cruiser

CASTRO VALLEY, CA United States
If you keep it at 55 mph or below on the freeway, you can probably get 50+ miles per gallon on stock or Stage 1. Funny how time becomes more important than mph.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-02-05 5:16 PM (#151057 - in reply to #60065)

Visionary

Before I would spen money on a stage 1 that does nothing for you
I would buy a LLoydz timing wheel and get greater low end and pick up some miles per gallon and no more popping
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™