You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Wiring a GPS
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

nowor2l8
Posted 2008-02-23 8:59 AM (#5664)
Subject: Wiring a GPS

Cruiser

Northwest of you

I want to "hardwire" a GPS into a Vision.

I am assuming it's a simple "2 wire" thing?

Can I just cut off the plug that goes into the "lighter/power" plug that comes with the GPS and wire it to the power plug that the Vision has for the GPS?

I don't expect it to integrate with the audio (I understand if I get the 2820 it will and has the adapter if I get the Vision mount) and haven't decided which GPS to use.

I have a Nuvi 650 which I could switch from vehicle to vehicle or get a new GPS like a Street Pilot or ?????????

Anyway, I'm wanting any recommendations and instructions if you know what to do.

I am pretty good with these electrical and mechanical things, but, I don't want to blow up a new Vision the second day I have it............

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mike s
Posted 2008-02-23 5:13 PM (#5685 - in reply to #5664)
Subject: Re: Wiring a GPS

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
Better yet, instead of hardwiring it, why not just get the cigarette lighter adapter for your powerlet plug...

Being that the built-in GPS harness does power and audio, I doubt it'll be just two wires. I don't recall how many contacts are in that connector, but my assumption would be at least four.
akabubba42
Posted 2008-02-23 5:32 PM (#5686 - in reply to #5685)
Subject: Re: Wiring a GPS

Puddle Jumper

Sorry to hijack this thread but you ride with any Ultra Classic guys? Have any of them been on your bike yet? Just curious.
nowor2l8
Posted 2008-03-29 5:22 PM (#7537 - in reply to #5664)
Subject: RE: Wiring a GPS

Cruiser

Northwest of you

I have been watching on ebay to buy a Garmin 2720 since that unit will plug right in to the factory gps harness.

In the meantime, I decided to replace the "powerlet" plug in the glovebox with a standard plug and use my Nuvi 650.

I did the plug today and all went very well, took about 1 hour and that included doing some "custom wiring" to get a little

more accesability to the connector.

I am very pleased with the outcome and I think this unit is going to work perfectly for my needs and it saves me a couple of

hundred dollars.

bigwill5150
Posted 2008-06-21 9:35 PM (#12191 - in reply to #5664)
Subject: RE: Wiring a GPS

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I just posted a note on the other GPS thread regarding the connector for the Garman before stumbling across this thread. It is a simple 4-wire pinout IAW the Service manual (I believe it's a 6-core plug, using only 4 wires) 2 for audio input (obviously mono) and 2 for power. I am modifying a spare Magellan GPS mount to fit the billet aluminium piece made for Garman. I am also integrating it into the audio input/switched power by modifying the cable harness that came with the kit. I just bought the bike before leaving offshore to work for the month, so I won't be able to get back to it very soon.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™