You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

J&M Speakers
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

luzzy
Posted 2008-01-14 9:04 PM (#4224)
Subject: J&M Speakers

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
Has anyone installed these yet? I ordered both sets tonight and will post after I receive and install.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
devilboy
Posted 2008-01-15 12:28 AM (#4249 - in reply to #4224)
Subject: Re: J&M Speakers

Cruiser

Central Florida
I have the fronts arriving tomorrow. I should have them on by 6 pm . I will let you know how it sounds.
devilboy
Posted 2008-01-15 10:32 PM (#4291 - in reply to #4224)

Cruiser

Central Florida
I Installed front speakers tonight. The good news is that the sound is Excellent and is louder at a lower volume # than before. Sound is clearer and
stronger. The bad news is that the directions are worthless. Without shop manual for Vision it took me about an hour.
Now I could do it in 15 minutes. Life is a learning experience.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-01-16 8:05 AM (#4301 - in reply to #4291)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
Marc,you may want to order a service manual.At $49.99 it's a good investment IMHO
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-01-16 4:13 PM (#4307 - in reply to #4224)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
As I understand it, once you remove the mirrors then you just have mounting screws on the front and back of the fairing for access to the front speakers. Anyone swapped the rear speakers yet?
VisionTex
Posted 2008-01-16 6:39 PM (#4308 - in reply to #4291)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
devilboy - 2008-01-15 9:32 PM

I Installed front speakers tonight. The good news is that the sound is Excellent and is louder at a lower volume # than before. Sound is clearer and
stronger. The bad news is that the directions are worthless. Without shop manual for Vision it took me about an hour.
Now I could do it in 15 minutes. Life is a learning experience.

devilboy, I'm thinking about getting these speakers, could you post some of the steps on the install, I believe I know, but not totally. I looked at the part schematic on the Victory website and it shows how the parts fit, but there is probably some tricks. Also, looks like the rear speakers are pretty easy to install. Thanks.
devilboy
Posted 2008-01-17 12:04 AM (#4322 - in reply to #4224)

Cruiser

Central Florida
Front speakers are fairly easy when you know how.
A remove Bezel around speedo with plastic spackle knife to avoid scratching
#1 Remove aluminum front fairing 4 rubber inserts and 2 clips. DONT forget to re-connect radio antenna clip.
#2 undo large hex head bolts on each end.
#3 behind mirror is a single bolt that needs to be removed and hex head bolt for top of mirror.
#4 2 hex head bolts at front of fairing are removed
#5 1 hex head bolt is removed at inside of speaker grill on both sides.
#6 entire plastic piece covering speaker grill and plastic behind mirror comes off.
#7 Unscrew 4 bolts holding old speaker in place
#8 unplug 1 speaker lead, and plug in lead in same spade on new speaker to avoid crossing polarity
#9 unplug other lead and replug 2nd lead into 2nd spade
#10 turn on stereo and make sure that both speakers work.
#11 reverse all these steps and ride it like you stole it!

Edited by devilboy 2008-01-17 12:05 AM
ward
Posted 2008-02-11 4:29 PM (#5179 - in reply to #4224)

Puddle Jumper

cambridge springs pa
I installed the J&M speakers last friday, I was a little disapointed in the sound, better than stock . But I thought it would be a lot better. Hope someone offers a plug in amp soon! Ward
visionrider
Posted 2008-02-11 7:18 PM (#5181 - in reply to #4224)

Puddle Jumper

Was also looking at these speakers. Was hoping there would be a improved sound to justify the money for them. Maybe will just keep the stock ones for now or until they blow.
Big Vic
Posted 2008-02-12 6:45 PM (#5211 - in reply to #4224)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Has anyone besides devilboy or ward bought these speakers yet? I'm going to order these if they make a significant improvement over the stock speakers. devilboy appears satisfied.......ward seems a little disapointed. Any one else have an opinion?
a99miata
Posted 2008-02-17 11:05 AM (#5381 - in reply to #4224)

Tourer

northwest florida
has anyone looked for replacement speakers besides the J&M speakers?
VisionTex
Posted 2008-02-17 8:49 PM (#5409 - in reply to #5381)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
I have contacted they guys, http://www.hogtunes.com/ and they are work on speakers for the Vision. Send them an e-mail, probably the more they hear from us the more likely they will produce something. J & M are good speakers also. Stock speakers are OK for most riding, not the greatest as speed. Good luck in your search and let us know the way you end up.
Visioneer
Posted 2008-03-11 6:55 AM (#6670 - in reply to #4224)

Cruiser

Ann Arbor, MI
I installed the J&M's both front & rear. Definite improvement over OEM's. Still waiting for the snow to melt so I can try them on the road.
Banjo
Posted 2008-03-29 6:57 AM (#7515 - in reply to #4224)
Subject: RE: J&M Speakers

Tourer

I had J&M speakers on my Street Glide.....very little improvement from stock. I 'm gonna wait for another choice before I change out my Vision speakers.
Spock
Posted 2008-04-02 10:06 PM (#7759 - in reply to #7515)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

I installed both the front and rear J&M speakers on Monday. They are an improvement over the stock speakers. You get a lot less distortion at high volumes and the sound is clearer and fuller. I can turn the volume up to 28 with no distortion. After installing them I went for a test ride and took the bike up to 110 mph and I could hear the stereo strong and clear. In fact at a volume level of 25 it hurt my ears.

There is a huge difference in the construction of the stock and J&M speakers. The J&M speakers have a Neodymium magnet that is much more powerful and is about three times the size of the stock speakers. The J&M speakers have an injection molded polycarbonate cone, titanium colored dust cover, and super flexible rolled edge. The stock speakers have paper cones that have been treated to make them water repellant and have no rolled edge like any quality speaker. They do have an integrated tweeter but I can’t hear where they produce any more highs than the J&M’s. All paper cone speakers regardless of how they are treated will break down and deteriorate within a year or so depending on the amount of exposure to the elements.

BTW I did exchange emails with the guys at Hogtunes and they have worked with a Vision owner to try their speakers but they did not work well. They will need to get their hands on a Vision for a period of time to do the proper research like J&M has done. John the owner of J&M bought a Vision and is doing a lot of R&D on it as he wants the best for his riding enjoyment.

Bottom line is I would do the upgrade knowing what I know now. The difference is not quite as much as I thought it would be but still worth the price.

SongFan
Posted 2008-04-02 11:08 PM (#7765 - in reply to #4224)

Visionary

Memphis

Just FYI,

Running around Texas at 110mph is fairly routine for Spock.

Spock
Posted 2008-04-02 11:34 PM (#7767 - in reply to #7765)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX
SongFan - 2008-04-02 10:08 PM

Just FYI,

Running around Texas at 110mph is fairly routine for Spock.

Texas is a huge state with a lot of wide open space. You have to drive fast if you want to cover this state in any reasonable time. Just when you think you are going fast at 110 mph a Viper, Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche or sport bike will pass you going 150 plus. I certainly wouldn’t recommend driving this fast in any of our more liberal states as they would lock you up and throw the keys away so to speak.

VICTORYTCRIDER
Posted 2008-04-11 9:34 AM (#8217 - in reply to #4224)

Cruiser

Capitol Region of NH
Just ordered them yesterday, I think I got a pretty good deal on e-bay, if nothing else shipping was "free". I will post again when I get them and install them. I also ordered from Powerlet a couple of outlets to add on the dash and trunk area while I have everything apart. Has anyone added outlets in these areas? My understanding is that there is wiring and plugs already there for this option. Any input on this would be helpful.

Edited by VICTORYTCRIDER 2008-04-11 9:35 AM
devilboy
Posted 2008-04-11 2:39 PM (#8232 - in reply to #4224)

Cruiser

Central Florida
you should have 2"BMW" type plugs one in glove box and one in trunk. Powerlet has a plug in adapter to go in so you can fit anything in it like a phone charger or whatever.
I have yet to use in except for using my electric tire pump to add a couple of lbs of air.
everything else on my bike is hardwired including ipod nano 3, garmin 2820 (with gxm antenna for xm radio, navigation and weather)
VICTORYTCRIDER
Posted 2008-04-11 4:36 PM (#8248 - in reply to #4224)

Cruiser

Capitol Region of NH
I have seen those 2 plugs. I have seen on other Vision pictures in the forums that people have one on the lower part of the center console and on the left front of the trunk for plugging in heated clothing etc. The Victory catalog says on the description for the accessory plugs that there are several places they can be put. I am just wondering if anyone who might have the plugs installed already or have taken things apart on their bikes enough to know if there is wiring in particular places already for the plug installation.
devilboy
Posted 2008-04-11 6:58 PM (#8257 - in reply to #8248)

Cruiser

Central Florida
VICTORYTCRIDER - 2008-04-11 4:36 PM

I have seen those 2 plugs. I have seen on other Vision pictures in the forums that people have one on the lower part of the center console and on the left front of the trunk for plugging in heated clothing etc. The Victory catalog says on the description for the accessory plugs that there are several places they can be put. I am just wondering if anyone who might have the plugs installed already or have taken things apart on their bikes enough to know if there is wiring in particular places already for the plug installation.

Looking at the wiring schematic( Electrical not my specialty) there appear to be 1 extra connector location on the harness near each current connector. I have not had these areas apart myself.
I dont think schematic will tell you where they are but they are probably close to installed ones.
Hope that makes sense and/or helps.
Travelin Man
Posted 2008-04-11 9:39 PM (#8262 - in reply to #8248)

Iron Butt

VICTORYTCRIDER - 2008-04-11 3:36 PM

While I haven't had my bike apart yet to do any mounting, I have read the entire service manual for the Vision and I believe that the ports you are describing are the ports where you and a passenger would plug a helmet headset into when there is a CB/Intercom installed on the bike. I have seen a picture of the center console where someone installed an additional powerlet jack next to the headset jack and the only reason I can think of for this is what you listed, it must be for heated clothing (which would also mean that the powerlet jack should be wired directly to the battery).
Mudge
Posted 2008-04-11 11:09 PM (#8269 - in reply to #8248)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
Under the plastic panel just in front of the seat there is a gray two prong ("T" pattern) plug with a Gray/pink hot wire and a black ground. It's just lying there. This is your extra Powerlet connector hookup. There is another spare connector in the trunk but I have not looked and do not know its location. This will have a Blue/pink hot and black ground.
VICTORYTCRIDER
Posted 2008-04-12 8:00 AM (#8286 - in reply to #4224)

Cruiser

Capitol Region of NH
Thank you all for the helpful input.
VICTORYTCRIDER
Posted 2008-04-19 8:28 AM (#8757 - in reply to #8286)

Cruiser

Capitol Region of NH
I have now been there. As above there is 1 plug for a powerlet outlet under the panel in front of the seat. The one in the trunk is behind the passenger backrest on the right side. I installed a powerlet plug below the right speaker cover on the trunk for the passenger to use heated clothing etc. I also installed one below the radio controls on the center console. Very quicjk and easy job with the wiring there already to go.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™