You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

A female's take on the Vi Vi
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Reviews -> Vision ReviewsMessage format

GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2007-12-29 10:05 PM (#3568)
Subject: A female's take on the Vi Vi

Tourer

Savannah, GA -Year round riding!! Yay!

As requested by pollolittle, I am giving my impression of my Vi Vi, as a female rider (ahem... as the first female rider on this site!! Don't worry, as a female big, bike rider... I can hang. I'm used to hanging with a bunch of guys!). This is also a comparison of the Vision to other "big bikes", as ridden by a female rider. It's probably more than anyone wants to know, but feel free to quit reading at any time...

Me and my new Vi Vi

Ok, let me start this by saying, I love the lines of the bike, aesthetically. Fell in love with it when I first saw it earlier this year, at the IMCS in Atlanta. I sat on the mock up and loved it. Loved the seat height. But, at the time, they weren't releasing what the engine size and curb weight would be. At the time, I had been riding, front seat, for about a little over a year, and had a Honda VTX 1300 (with Corbin Beetle Bags) and a Honda ST1300. The Vi Vi reminded me of the lines I was trying to create with the X. And the front view looks like a beefed up version of the ST, which combinded two of my favorite things about both of my bikes. But, I was scared about getting my hopes up about this bike. I am 5'5" and have a 28" inseam. I have broken my hip and pelvis and have a lot of problems with getting heavy bikes off of the side stand, and with uncomfortable seats and riding positions.

In May, I traded in my 1300 X for a 1800 VTX. (I had been having problems with the carb/fuel system that the dealer was unable to diagnose), and figured I'd move up in size so I could keep up with hubby on his GL1800, VTX 1800 and his Valk. Rune. Hubby had been telling me that I was ready to move up to a "big bike". He actually wanted me to get a GL1800 of my own, but I just didn't want that type of bike for me (I call it his "Geezer Glide"- he's 12 years older than me. He's also about 12 inches taller than me, and his inseam is about 6 inches longer than mine. Most bikes fit him better than they do me.). So, I got the 1800 X.

We did the Kyle Petty Charity Ride Across America in July (me, on my ST. I learned that I needed risers and that pegs w/ no highway bars don't give my hips enough shift in riding position on a long ride). Victory is one of the corporate sponsors of the ride, so there were 15 Vi Vi's on that. (I drooled for 3,200 miles!!!). That finalized my decision. All I have talked about since getting back from that ride was getting one. My hubby is very brand loyal (in case y'all couldn't tell). He has been dead set against me getting anything but a Honda. One of the guys we befreinded on the ride was riding a black Tour version. He was about my height. I noticed immediately that he could flat foot the bike. He let me sit on it (I couldn't drive it on the ride for insurance reasons). I was in love. One of the fuel stops was near my parent's house, where our 10 year old son (who is 5'3" and 140 lbs) was staying while Dad & I rode. They had come to greet us, and I sat on it with my son one the back. We weren't even close to each other (we bump helmets regularly on all of my other bikes). He was sold.

Fast forward to December. Hubby talked me into going down to our local Victory dealer to bring them some fliers for our store (my stepson used to work there, and we are on very good terms with everyone there, so it can be more of a social call for us). Sneaky Pete knew they had a black Vi Vi Tour Premium on the floor, the bike of my dreams. We walk in the door and I about dropped my jaw on the floor. He says, "You want to take it for a test drive?". I was shaking too badly to think about driving it first, so I rode "be-yatch" (which is something I rarely do) for the test drive. The back seat was way more comfortable than the Gold Wing (one of the main reasons I don't do back seat). There is more vibration, but a lot less wind on the passenger on the Vi Vi than the Wing. So, then we switch positions (well, kinda, I went front seat, he won't ride be-yatch...), and I rode it. First impressions: super comfortable driving position, but weak throttle response. But, none the less, I was in love. I could flat foot it, and had a lot of room to move my feet around on the boards (I can't reach the highway pegs on my X. My legs are too short...)

So, hubby talked a deal, and we went back 2 days later to pick it up. (I rode be-yatch to the dealership to pick it up. Be-yatch 2 times in one week? This Vi Vi is already making me do crazy things!!! )

Now, I've had it for a little over 2 weeks, and have about 500 miles on it. My overall impressions now? I love it. It's not the machine I first thought it was... it's way better! Victory's and Hondas are apples and oranges. Hondas are geared a lot lower, have a lot of low end torque. All of my Hondas can beat the Vi Vi off of the line. My X has a very abrupt throttle response. I can make it "jump" going down the road. I hit the rev limiter at about 5500 rpm in 1st gear, which is about 18-20 mph. The Vision has a lot smoother acceleration and a lot more top end, when shifted correctly. I had to learn to shift my Vision a lot later, or it would lug. I also had to learn that 5th gear didn't kick in until 50 mph, and you don't touch 6th unless you are well over 60.

I also thought that the Vision was heavier than my X. Some days, if my hip is bothering me, I can't get my X off of the side stand (especially if not parked on totally level ground), without doing the handlebar trick. I was totally blown away to find out that the Vision weighed 90 lbs more than the 1800 X! The lower seat height, combined with the lower center of gravity (especially when the X or the ST have a full tank of gas), makes getting this bike a breeze for my short little legs to pop up! I was having a "bad hip day" last week, and had no problem getting my Vi Vi going.... Backing into a parking spot is not a problem either. On my ST, I am tippy toeing the bike. I cannot, no way in the world, back into a parking spot with any sort of uphill incline on it. Now, I have yet to try to back into an uphill spot (I've gotten very good at noticing incline when I park and naturally go to flatter spots...), but my hubby doesn't have to come running outside of our store to help me back in when I get to work (concrete parking lot with just a slight incline for drainage) like he does for both of my other bikes. I think that Victory should still look at putting in Reverse, just because I would like to have it when I'm fully loaded on a road trip. Just my humble opinion. I love the huge trunk, with a light!!. (I am not getting a trunk mirror, just because I don't like to be reminded of my helmet hair). I am a bit disappointed in the side bags, tho'. My Corbin Beetle bags were about the same size on the outside, but had twice as much storage space. Why they boxed them out, I'll never know. I like to do my light- to medium grocery shopping on the bike. On my VTX, I have Tsukayu Strong bags. I'm not crazy about the lines, but, I can get a full gallon of milk in them. I can get the gallon in my trunk on the Vi Vi, but not my side bags. I then have to worry about it falling over.

I have the mid size windshield on the bike. My line of sight, as a shorter rider, is directly through the top inch of the shield, which is the most distorted part of it. I occasionally put it up higher, but I just don't like a tall shield. They missed the boat on the shield. It could be, optically, more correct. The Wing's stock shield is a lot clearer. I have the same vision problem on hubby's Wing, but it doesn't bother me to look through it. I need to see how short the blade is, and if it comes up high enough in the rain. My complaint with my shorty sheild on my X is that the rain flies directly into my face from the height of it. It's not adjustable. I just don't ride that bike if it's supposed to rain. My ST has an electric shield on it, also. I will put that up higher if it's raining hard.

Ok, this was probably more than anyone wanted to know. If you've made it this far, thank you!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
WillieByte
Posted 2007-12-29 10:29 PM (#3571 - in reply to #3568)
Subject: Re: A female's take on the Vi Vi

Cruiser

Plainfield Illinois
You go Girl. OK, I read ALL of it.

Yer pink color crayon, on the other hand, is givin me fits.

Ciao Bella
radioteacher
Posted 2007-12-30 12:39 AM (#3579 - in reply to #3568)
Subject: RE: A female's take on the Vi Vi

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
GAgirlTrixie,

Thanks for the review. I also have short legs (28"). Before looking at the Vision I was looking at HD.

All of the HD touring scooters have seats 30" or better. That puts me on my toes. The salesman said (with a dollar sign gleam in his eye) that he could lower the Road King with a $1500 kit 1.5". He did not tell me how that would change the handling of the bike.

I walked away for HD and started looking for other options. Lucky for me the Vision got published in some magazines and caught my eye. I took my wife to see the Vi Vi and she liked it. It was better looking to her then any other bike that I showed her.

Now I am just waiting to finish up the last eight payments on my truck to buy the '09 Vision from the Custom Order Program next year.

Paul

Edited by radioteacher 2007-12-30 12:40 AM
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2007-12-30 7:42 AM (#3584 - in reply to #3568)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
GAgirlTrixie, thanks for the well thought-out review. I think every owner should write one. In a week or two I will move this thread to our Review forum.

Thanks again!
Jeff
BATMAN
Posted 2007-12-30 8:07 AM (#3588 - in reply to #3568)

Cruiser

MN.
Nice review, thanks. Keep us posted, it's nice to see a woman riders point of view.

Although in general, I am bitter at everone here who have Visions, since I don't.

Edited by BATMAN 2007-12-30 8:08 AM
Travelin Man
Posted 2007-12-30 10:28 AM (#3593 - in reply to #3568)

Iron Butt

Hey Trixie, are you and your husband on the VTXOA boards? I go by the same handle over there but mostly post on the Illinois and Wisconsin boards. Great review though, just might be able to convince my better half to get rid of her Virago and step up to the Vision.

Oh, BTW, from my perspective, RED or any variation thereof, is the fastest color!

Edited by Travelin' Man 2007-12-30 10:29 AM
Carolina Tom
Posted 2007-12-30 2:12 PM (#3605 - in reply to #3568)

Cruiser

Lexington, North Carolina
Great read. Welcome!
GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2007-12-30 5:30 PM (#3612 - in reply to #3593)

Tourer

Savannah, GA -Year round riding!! Yay!

Thank, TM, and everyone else, for your kind words! As I side note, I had ViVi up to triple digits for the first time tonight, trying to outrun a rainstorm on the way home. Handles like a dream. (and the fairing kept me very dry.... I'm impressed...)

Yep, we both are on there. I go by this nick, he's BlackWing (he had his Wing before he had his X). We both post mostly on the GA board, occasionally go to the general board.

Yep, I think you're wife needs to go to a Vision. (You just keep telling yourself that red is faster.... I've been known to humor a few cuckoos in my time... )

pollolittle
Posted 2008-01-02 8:25 AM (#3706 - in reply to #3568)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Thanks for the write up. Good to see your happy with it. Triple digits huh? So how fast does yours go? That has been a common question on here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™