You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

ECM upgrade
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

witchbiker
Posted 2017-09-03 1:34 PM (#192212)
Subject: ECM upgrade

Cruiser

Barefoot Bay, FL United States

Can I replace my 2008 Vision ECM with a 2009 or 2010 ECM?

I know that Victory had some issues with the Vision ECM when it was first introduced, and changed the ECM a few times. Some of the manufacturers of the air/fuel controllers that simply plug into the ECM as a piggy-back unit, where you don't have to mess with the injectors, (PC-V, Dyno Jet, etc) never made a unit for the 2008 because of the various ECM's that were put in them. I was told that after 2009, they were pretty much the same unit until 2014 or so, or maybe 2012.

Any info would be helpfull.

witchbiker 2008 Vision Tour 86K+

Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnnyvision
Posted 2017-09-05 6:42 PM (#192222 - in reply to #192212)
Subject: Re: ECM upgrade

Visionary

yes the 2009 PCV will work fine on your bike. If you buy one get it from Lloydz or The Vic Shop. If you tell them what mods you have they can put a map in it for you.
By the way the 08 and 11 run the same ECM. In 2012 they changed the ECM and that could cause of many other things they changed.
I have read many post and I can't recall any one saying there ECM went bad
witchbiker
Posted 2017-09-10 2:44 PM (#192240 - in reply to #192212)
Subject: RE: ECM upgrade

Cruiser

Barefoot Bay, FL United States

Actually, (jv) that's NOT correct. I just found out that each Vision ECM (and other Vic's Im sure) is actually "married" to the specific VIN that each bike has, and it's very likely that attempting to switch out a 2008 ECM with a 2009 or higher ECM will NOT work. The bike will not start, and may not even turn over. Back to square one for a fuel controller. Looks like Lloyds VFC III is the ticket, doin' it the hard way, under the upper panels with tiny hands to get @ the fuel injectors!!

WB 2008 Vision w/led's front and rear, including led headlights.

BTW...I lost my rear wheel bearings/rear axle(?) driving down Rt. 95 @ 70+mph, coming back from the "Tail" in NC. Felt like a flat tire at first, but upon further investigation, the tire was fine, but the rear wheel was moving differently than the bike when I shook it from the back. I was lucky I didn't loose it on the "Tail".

I ended up on three different trailers on my trip back to Melbourne, FL. Thanks to my chapter XO's 'smart phone' type calls who I was riding with in the CVMA (FL 20-1), there were several members MORE than willing to help a brother in trouble on the highway. Bike not checked out yet due to hurricane IRMA!!

CHECK YOUR WHEELS FOR BAD BEARINGS OR LOOSE SHAFTS!!!

I have just under 87K, so a word to the wise!!

rdbudd
Posted 2017-09-11 10:17 AM (#192241 - in reply to #192240)
Subject: RE: ECM upgrade

Visionary

Jasper, MO
witchbiker - 2017-09-10 2:44 PM

Actually, (jv) that's NOT correct. I just found out that each Vision ECM (and other Vic's Im sure) is actually "married" to the specific VIN that each bike has, and it's very likely that attempting to switch out a 2008 ECM with a 2009 or higher ECM will NOT work. The bike will not start, and may not even turn over. Back to square one for a fuel controller. Looks like Lloyds VFC III is the ticket, doin' it the hard way, under the upper panels with tiny hands to get @ the fuel injectors!!

WB 2008 Vision w/led's front and rear, including led headlights.

BTW...I lost my rear wheel bearings/rear axle(?) driving down Rt. 95 @ 70+mph, coming back from the "Tail" in NC. Felt like a flat tire at first, but upon further investigation, the tire was fine, but the rear wheel was moving differently than the bike when I shook it from the back. I was lucky I didn't loose it on the "Tail".

I ended up on three different trailers on my trip back to Melbourne, FL. Thanks to my chapter XO's 'smart phone' type calls who I was riding with in the CVMA (FL 20-1), there were several members MORE than willing to help a brother in trouble on the highway. Bike not checked out yet due to hurricane IRMA!!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? CHECK YOUR WHEELS FOR BAD BEARINGS OR LOOSE SHAFTS!!!

I have just under 87K, so a word to the wise!!

While it is true that each Vision ECM is "married" to the individual bike--that is--it contains the vehicle VIN, which is used by the Victory specific shop computer for diagnosis and updates, it is NOT TRUE that the bike will not start or run with another ECM installed. They will, in fact, start and operate just fine with another ECM installed. The ONLY thing that will not be correct will be the VIN the shop computer sees. That's it. No other problems. If your bike is out of warranty, then it's a moot point anyway.

How do I know this for certain? Because my bike hasn't had the original ECM in it for the past 7+ years. That is because I exchanged it with one of Lloydz reprogrammed ECMs a long time ago, back when he was doing ECM exchanges. Due to the embedded VIN being incorrect, he stopped doing exchanges and just reprograms the owners' original ECM now. Of course, this means some down time. When he was doing the exchanges, he sent you one of his ECMs, which you swapped with yours, and then sent yours back to be reprogrammed and forwarded to the next customer. No down time. That was then, this is now.

BTW, I use Lloydz VFCIII with it. Works great and has for all these years.

However, all that being said, it's a new day in the performance world.

Today, there are far better options than VFCIIIs, PCVs, etc. Do whatever you are going to do in the way of pipes, cams, intake, etc, and then have your ECM reprogrammed with a Maximus tune that is custom tuned to your bike and your modfications. This is done right on your bike by remote control using a laptop that is sent to you and returned when you are done. That's it. No piggyback controllers needed. No dyno tune needed. You will end up with maximum performance and driveabilty by going this route. It's the modern way to performance.

What's that mean? With just a top filter and some good cams installed on a Vision running stock pipes, and then tuned with Maximus, owners are getting 120 HP and 120 torque with stock or better fuel economy and better driveability than stock. Check it out.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2017-09-11 10:22 AM
sdvic
Posted 2017-09-11 6:06 PM (#192251 - in reply to #192212)
Subject: Re: ECM upgrade

Cruiser

San Diego, Ca
DITTO on what rdbudd said. I had a 2008 that I put one of Loydz reprogramed ECMs on my bike. I still have it as well as the stock ECM with the stage one update if anyone wants to buy. Will not work on my 2015.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™