You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Loving my VIC???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

witchbiker
Posted 2017-09-03 12:20 PM (#192210)
Subject: Loving my VIC???

Cruiser

Barefoot Bay, FL United States

On a 5000+ mi. run to SanDiego back in June, At 80mph, new "fancy" aftermarket plug wires fouled out in mega rain storm in Louisiana, one at a time. I stumbled along on one cyl until second wire fouled out.  After having been pushed over a bridge in pouring rain by fellow riders (not happy campers), the end result was to buy a roll of electrical tape and do a two-layer wrap over the wires. Back on the road after an hour plus, then a second deluge, but NO FOULING of the plugs. After arriving home to Florida, the wires were sent back to seller, and were "tested". "Nothing wrong with the wires", and in typical fashion, they sent me replacement "fancy" wires that are still in the original package, and will stay there. Still haven't heard the end of THAT trip!!

After continuous berating and ridicule because of my "piece of crap" Victory (not a Vic issue, an aftermarket wire issue-they didn't care!!), now comes the SECOND breakdown, in Aug.

South on 95 @ 80mph after riding the "Tail" in N.C., I feel what seems like a flat tire. OH, NAY, NAY!! It seems that the rear wheel bearings/axle are having mileage issues. Too many miles apparently @ 86K!! So I manage to slow down and not dump it as I pull to the side of RT 95 with my riding buddy. He was with me on the FIRST "piece of shit Vic" breakdown in June as described above. My "MURPHY" road name patch (not my real road name) is now apparently staying on a little longer!!

After AAA declines my card (premium card holder-NOT COVERED-imagine that!!), and several phone calls by my riding buddy, I end up getting  a series of 3 trailers to haul my Vic back to Melbourne, FL.

There are NO words to express my sincere appreciation for the assistance I received from not just the many riders in my organization (CVMA) willing to step up at a moments notice, but the rider, Craig, and his wife (whom we did NOT know) that just stopped to ask us if we were OK. Craig proceded to drive off to get his truck and trailer, and haul me down four exits to a truck stop near North Jacksonville. Amazingly, it turns out he was stationed @ the location I worked at for 31 years in Maine!!! Small world!!

A short time later, a CVMA member showed up with the second trailer to get me down to Daytona, just off 95. From there I get my 3rd trailer ride from my chapter CO down to the shop in Melbourne, that will hopefully be able to repair my Vic, since there are no Victory dealers in the area that are worth going to.

So, do I get rid of my "piece-of-shit" vic and go for another Polaris ride, namely the 2017 Indian Roadmaster, or stick with my Vic, and try to squeak out 100K? I'm pretty sick of the comments and criticisms about the Vic, but then again, are they justified in their comments?? I've gone the HD route several times, as well as the Honda, and I feel like the Vic is by far and away, the best handling and most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. 

witchbiker,

hopefully still riding soon. 2008 Vision Tour

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pops
Posted 2017-09-03 3:07 PM (#192213 - in reply to #192210)
Subject: Re: Loving my VIC???

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
How much you want for your Vic?
twocell
Posted 2017-09-03 3:26 PM (#192214 - in reply to #192210)

Puddle Jumper

Lackawaxen PA United States
Indians have been getting great reviews, but personally I love my 09 Vision & if I was thinking about a new bike I'd look for a new one ... The Last Of The Mohicans ??
twocell
Posted 2017-09-03 3:32 PM (#192215 - in reply to #192210)

Puddle Jumper

Lackawaxen PA United States
a new 2017 Vision .... you can still find them & Vic is giving nice rebates as well
pollolittle
Posted 2017-09-07 8:43 AM (#192226 - in reply to #192210)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I'd keep it, but I rarely sell, or trade. the dealer had a brand new Vic Vision for 16K. Those troubles above are not that big of a deal breaker, other than the location of said breakdown. Or, as the post above, how much? The way you talk seems you love it, keep it and get a patch of murphy or a bumper sticker. There aren't a lot of bikes with 86K on them. I'm far beyond that number and still riding it.
witchbiker
Posted 2017-09-22 7:09 PM (#192269 - in reply to #192210)

Cruiser

Looks like it was a snapped rear axle. Hopefully back on the road by next weekend, 9/30/17. We have a big car/bike wash in Rockledge on Sat., the 30th, so we'll see. I'll probably be there in a cage since the wheel bearings were only recently ordered, and shipping was an issue due to the hurricanes. The rear axle was purchased locally @ Bike Strippers, in Melbourne, FL.
johnnyvision
Posted 2017-09-24 6:14 PM (#192270 - in reply to #192210)

Visionary

witchbiker

never did see what model bike you have
lennyb
Posted 2017-10-07 5:35 PM (#192287 - in reply to #192210)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Anyone else have knowledge of a rear axle (not bearing) failure? Have to question if this was actually a Vic issue or a maintenance induced situation. Not pointing a finger, but just asking, is it possible that not using the correct torque on the axle nut, not properly installing the spacers, or not applying lubrication as called for in the manual could have led to your break down?

The one reason my dealer gave me for considering an Indian was for the new technology it provided. Not reason enough. The Vision is reliable, and as you stated handling and comfort can not be beat.

Keep the Vision.
johnnyvision
Posted 2017-10-08 11:01 AM (#192288 - in reply to #192210)

Visionary

lennyb
you don't say what kind of failure the axle has.
How many miles on bike.
lennyb
Posted 2017-10-08 9:16 PM (#192292 - in reply to #192288)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
My reference to an axle failure was in response to witchbiker's post. Knock on wood - no problem with my bike.
jimtom
Posted 2017-10-11 6:04 AM (#192294 - in reply to #192210)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
Coming off a Vision, you will be disappointed in the Roadmaster, trust me. It isn't a bad bike , it just isn't a vision. I have a similar problem in that I don't know what to do next.
witchbiker
Posted 2017-10-14 9:40 AM (#192298 - in reply to #192210)

Cruiser

In response to ALL with my Axle/bearing breakdown; I'm still without my ride. Apparently the folks @ Vic decided to send the wrong parts (that are supposed to be available for 10 years!!). The shop wanted to be prepared for more damage than just the axle or bearings, so they ordered the spacer that fits between the inner races of the bearings. Vic sent a nut and a washer!?!?!? Hopefully the correct parts are in by this writing, 10/14/17.

Not being the only issues I've had with the bike is why I think it's taking a while for repairs. I burned through the rear header pipe, just off the head, so I replaced the exhaust system with Freedom Performance true duals (no cats). Unfortunately, they had gotten so rusty and corroded in a matter of a few weeks that I demanded they replace them. Freedom Perf. will be sending a new set of pipes (if not already there), but this time they are black!! No more chrome to get rusted. They didn't do the "Triple Chrome" system, because we could see the original metal under the peeling chrome of the tips after 3 weeks!!! The rest of the piping just got worse over the few weeks I had the pipes, so much so, that when I tried to clean them, the finish was so bad it would tear the microfiber cloth!
Anxiously awaiting the call to come get it.....soon I hope!!
witchbiker
2008 Vic Vision w/86K+
witchbiker
Posted 2019-11-26 1:59 PM (#192964 - in reply to #192210)

Cruiser

Not that anyone is still blogging in here, but I've had my 2nd axle issue, this time at a much slower speed, but when the axle bearing took out the axle, it loosened the belt, which then took out the aluminum rock guard. All at about 55mph. After the shroud snapped off just below the two bolts that hold it on, it wrapped itself up and around the rear tire, which then rubbed through the aluminum shroud. No cut tire, fortunately, but yet again another trailer ride to my mechanic. It has been a while since he has seen my Vic, but still cringes when I bring it in, even for a simple oil change. The parts are "on the way" again, so I should be back on my Vic in a few days.
In the meantime, I've bought a 2017 'White Smoke' Indian Chieftain, and have put on about 12K on it. NOPE, IT AINT NO VICTORY, THAT'S FOR SURE !!
2008 Victory Vision Tour Premium w/114K+
lennyb
Posted 2019-11-27 3:10 PM (#192965 - in reply to #192210)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Insane to have had a second axle/bearing failure. I would ask your wrench to inspect all of the components that could possibly impact the axle and bearings to make sure something else isn't wrong.

The rock guard on mine recently broke off and got sucked up into the front drive gear. As it got chewed up the noise scared the heck out of me. Fortunately it just threw the belt off and I drifted off of the road. The belt was replaced, but given both of our experiences I may disregard putting a new guard on.
smokier
Posted 2020-04-25 7:13 AM (#193012 - in reply to #192210)

New user

Bellevue, IA United States
Someone had asked if the maint was done. Again, not finger pointing. But am curious about multiple AXLE failures... Did the shop have thoughts on WHY ? Alignment, torque, lubrication?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™