You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Headlight
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

johnnyvision
Posted 2017-08-30 1:47 PM (#192204)
Subject: Headlight

Visionary

So I tried to pull the headligh bulb like others have said by pulling air filter and raising housing all the way up.

BS it does not work.

You have to desamble the side pannels and turn signals housing. There is no way around it. The part that holds you

back is the spring that holds the bulb in place. I was going to do LED's but didn't know for sure witch ones.

So I went to auto store ask for long life bulbs. So they say 1100 hundred hours. So if I only ride 8 hours at a time

I can get 137 days befor I have to do it again. So with only 5 to 6 months of riding I'll be fine.

(20170826_152352.jpg)

(20170826_152828.jpg)

(20170826_1524041.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20170826_152352.jpg (62KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments 20170826_152828.jpg (27KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 20170826_1524041.jpg (104KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lennyb
Posted 2017-08-30 3:29 PM (#192205 - in reply to #192204)
Subject: Re: Headlight

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Man am I glad that I managed to replace mine without doing any disassembly. Not fun, but thankfully my hands were slim enough to get in there without loosing too much skin.

jdr00ejr
Posted 2017-08-31 12:23 PM (#192207 - in reply to #192204)

Cruiser

Indianapolis, IN United States
maybe I have small hands (ring size is a 9-9.5). But I literally just Tuesday night did my headlight bulbs in 30 minutes - shoot - I didn't even adjust the headlights up - just removed the filter - and reached up.
johnnyvision
Posted 2017-09-05 6:45 PM (#192223 - in reply to #192204)

Visionary

so how did you get the spring lock out with out unscrewing the spring lock
SteveS
Posted 2017-09-05 9:44 PM (#192224 - in reply to #192223)

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
It unhooks from one end and pivots against the screw. Don't loosen or remove the screw. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ca...
BrandonM7
Posted 2017-09-07 5:54 PM (#192229 - in reply to #192224)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
SteveS - 2017-09-05 10:44 PM

It unhooks from one end and pivots against the screw. Don't loosen or remove the screw. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ca...

Yep. Easy peasy. This style clip has been in common use in the automotive world since the mid-80s, not sure why it still baffles so many. I guess I may take for granted the fact that I worked at a parts store while in college and had to change a whoooooole lot of headlight bulbs (and batteries) in horribly awkward and hard to reach situations. The Vision bulbs are an easy job. Some of the cars I had to do it on - almost always in the dark and/or rain - made me wish I had three elbows in one arm and a tiny baby hand on the other.
rainryder II
Posted 2017-09-27 1:16 PM (#192277 - in reply to #192204)

Cruiser

So my right bulb burns out and I go get a two pack and an air filter, roll the scoot over on the tipovers and reach up under there and the rubber comes right off with the connector. Utilizing the photos on here, I pop the metal spring over to the brake side, flip it up and out comes the bulb, in with the new! The hardest part was getting the prongs lined up to plug it back in, but a few minutes of fiddling after I turned on the ignition and it lit up as advertised. Rubber boot back on and I haven't even finished a beer yet!
Now I got two working bulbs, but I know what happens next as a rule, yep, the other will probably burn out soon so I flip the scoot over and start on the left side bulb. All good until I flip up the wire clip and it falls out! drops down into...I still don't know where, but my dental mirror showed that someone must've been in there before, because the little pedestal the screw and plate that forms the hinge on the top was half gone. It all came apart easily on both sides, so the previous owner had manhandled it another time before, methinks, since I was VEWY VEWY careful not to exert too much pressure on anything I couldn't see, and barely feel.
Now, it's a Sunday afternoon, late, and the dealer is 25 miles up the freeway, so I'm not getting any parts, and I'll be danged (see how I cleaned this all up?) if I'm gonna dismantle the bike all the way back to the seat to JB Weld the pedesal back together, drill & tap it, especially since all three little metal parts appear to have sublimated into the ether.
So this time I did take a moment to have a cold one, and fished a tube of Permatex RTV, the black high temp stuff, out of the archives, and dabbed three or four spots on the wide area of the new bulb, held it for 15 or 20 minutes, then popped it into the slot of the reflector, and after making sure it would stay put, went into the house to watch the Seahawks embarrass themselves.
Monday after work, I got home and everything had cured, and following the now appropriate (for me) procedure of turning on the ignition, gingerly spent the next requisite ten or fifteen minutes fiddling with rotating the plug in until the light came on, holding the rubber in such a way as to exert the maximum amount of compression possible on said connector installed the new air filter and set out for a test run. It was hard to shift with all my fingers and toes crossed, I must admit.
That was Monday, and I rode it a bit that night and so far so good. It held together, and the new HID bulbs are absolute flamethrowers. Tuesday I put about three hours of riding time on the bike and it's still working, still in place, surely if the RTV was going to melt it would have done so by now. Disney Production? Sure. Mickey Mouse fix? Absolutely! But if I moved the next repair issue another 16,000 miles down the line, that's a big win in my book. And the RTV has a better chance of being pried off than if I had needed to epoxy it in place, which I was and still am, fully prepared to do.
Also, going around a corner I felt or heard a jingle and I'm certain it was the spring falling out of whatever mystery orofice it had hidden in, so I'm committed to my condition. Oh well.
rainryder II
Posted 2017-10-27 3:53 PM (#192316 - in reply to #192204)

Cruiser

Update:
It's been about a month since I used silicone to glue my headlight in (the other still has all the bracketry intact), I've had several long rides of three plus hours' duration, and although I still look into the reflection of the bumber ahead of me at a light, I've essentially quit worrying about it falling out due to melting or other failing of the black Permatex high temp RTV I used. So if any of you out there who have a similar issue with the snaphinge that holds in the headlight, just be aware that this seems, so far, at least, to be a viable alternative.
witchbiker
Posted 2017-10-29 6:27 PM (#192317 - in reply to #192316)

Cruiser

Barefoot Bay, FL United States

Rainryder II,

What are you using for HID bulbs. I've put in LED's with the fan on the back, and one is already not working. I am NOT impressed with the High beam/Low beam difference (almost none). 

witchbiker

2008 Tour Premie w/87K+

Mega LED taillights and front running/dir/flash. 

rainryder II
Posted 2017-10-30 1:35 PM (#192323 - in reply to #192204)

Cruiser

They re Sylvania Silverstar 9003 bulbs, two to a pack, they're actually Halogen, not HIDs, but they sure throw the light.
johnnyvision
Posted 2017-10-31 6:14 PM (#192324 - in reply to #192204)

Visionary

if your using the Sylvania Silverstar I tried they lasted 1 year. They dies the day before warranty ran out.
Never again. Next time LED's
rainryder II
Posted 2017-11-01 12:46 PM (#192325 - in reply to #192204)

Cruiser

Thanks for the pep talk lol!! Ya done cheered me all up!!

Edited by rainryder II 2017-11-01 12:46 PM
Davet
Posted 2017-11-03 8:52 AM (#192331 - in reply to #192204)

Puddle Jumper

Sacramento, CA United States
JohnnyV, seriously! Ya tore up all that Tupperware just to change some bulbs?
My wife's CRV has the same bulb retainer on her CRV.
Been bustin' my knuckles on that job for years. At least now I've got it down to a 10 min. job.
Practice makes it easier.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™