You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Total Saturation
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

j.wales
Posted 2016-07-02 6:43 AM (#185137)
Subject: Total Saturation

Cruiser

Asheville, NC
I am blessed to live in the Southern Blue Ridge mountain range with what would be the most beautiful place to own a Vision except that every weekend from early spring until winter really sets in we are swamped with so many visitors you can barely get around. I spent an hour in mostly second gear yesterday just trying to get around and out of Asheville to ride into Kentucky which was enjoyable once I finally got out of the metro Asheville area. It's difficult to ride the parkway for automobiles. The roads here weren't designed to handle this kind of traffic and they're breaking up under the pressure. I realize that these are only mountains within reach of a very large population along the East coast and South. How long can it hold up to such pressure ? How long can I hold up to riding a Vision Tour in lower gears ? The kin folks said, Jed move away from there. The Dragon draws way too many young or inexperienced riders as evidenced by numerous bike crashes during the Helen Ralley. This ain't the place to learn riding curves. I'm from Appalachia. It's sad to see her abused and getting used up. I have followed cars of families riding at 20 mph in the Smokies with the windows up and air on letting their kids see nature from the confines of the back seat, never stopping, just slow rolling back to Gatlinburg and the t shirt/fudge shops. Some vacation.

Yeah, I'm complaining. I'm also telling you that it's very difficult to enjoy riding here. I have had so many near accidents, close calls, from what I am sure are very nice people looking for that next photo op from their auto that they just look past motorcycles. I'm at my whits end. My home is beatiful and in what was a quiet place, but the annual invasion of Floridians (half backs; a term assigned to folks from the Northeast that moved to Florida, too hot, head to the mountains in the summer) is becoming more than I can tolerate.

Be careful when or if you come. Its a trying place to operate a motorcycle. God Bless America, my home sweet home.

Edited by j.wales 2016-07-02 6:47 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lstayner
Posted 2016-07-02 6:56 AM (#185138 - in reply to #185137)
Subject: Re: Total Saturation

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
We rode through the area last summer early Sunday AM. Were were through the dragon by 8:30 AM and on the parkway by 10:00. That time of day the traffic was pretty light and the knucklehead riders were still in bed. You live in a beautiful area to ride in. Being a local, are there any back roads that tourist aren't aware of that you can ride? Otherwise, ride early and be done before the crowd shows up. We are coming back next June to Maggie Valley. It will be during the week so hopefully the traffic will be manageable.
j.wales
Posted 2016-07-02 7:28 AM (#185139 - in reply to #185137)

Cruiser

Asheville, NC
What you say is true. Its the weekends that are the worst. I still toil in construction work Monday through Friday so my riding is weekends only. During the week is not pleasant either with the Biltmore mansion, New large breweries and hundreds of craft brewers pulling in tourists, the cooler temps and highways not designed to,handle the load. That's why I said total saturation. The,over flow has filtered out into every nook and cranny and side road imaginable. They just drive. They even come up to my house past numerous no trespassing signs, a halt or I'll shoot sign and an 14 % dirt road grade to get there. They are wanton tourists with no respect for land owners, let alone motorcyclists. I dread riding to Townsend in two weeks.
j.wales
Posted 2016-07-03 9:36 AM (#185265 - in reply to #185137)

Cruiser

Asheville, NC
Well friends, I left Kentucky at 8:30 PM yesterday and rode the 220 miles mostly in the dark and taking my time back to the home base. I would rather brave deer, opposums, raccoons and other creatures of the night than the oppressive traffic that has become Asheville. All was well last night, cruising the long sweepers out of Ky through Big Stone Gap and down into Kingsport, then Johnson City. Then I came off the mountain into Asheville and the traffic started to build.......after midnight. I worry about drunks at that time of night. Folks were driving too fast, cutting back into my lane too quickly, just more of the same but after dark. Cleared Asheville and it eased off. Rolled my wonderful Vision into the hanger outside of Lake Lure, Bat Cave at 1:03 AM. Most of my night ride was great. Virginia LEO's were lighting up the night with blue and white strobes but it's nice to see them sometimes. Now I have a major bug guts clean up job to do.
Don07tncav
Posted 2016-07-03 5:31 PM (#185269 - in reply to #185137)

Cruiser

Went into the Smokey Mountains National Park today and it was busy to say the least. The park was maxed out.
ljurgens
Posted 2016-07-05 12:19 PM (#186296 - in reply to #185137)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
Come to Southwest Wisconsin. Decent roads (many finally being repaired), beautiful scenery and very little traffic! Check this new organization out for promoting our area, I live about 10 minutes from the "Mindoro Cut". http://www.driftlessdestinations.net/
lstayner
Posted 2016-07-05 1:02 PM (#186298 - in reply to #186296)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
ljurgens - 2016-07-05 12:19 PM

Come to Southwest Wisconsin. Decent roads (many finally being repaired), beautiful scenery and very little traffic! Check this new organization out for promoting our area, I live about 10 minutes from the "Mindoro Cut". http://www.driftlessdestinations.net/

We rode to Pete's Burgers in Prairie Du Chien last Sunday for lunch. Nice 450 mile round trip from Des Moines. We love riding NE IA, SE MN & SW WI. Next go around will be for the weekend.
ljurgens
Posted 2016-07-05 1:05 PM (#186299 - in reply to #186298)

Tourer

Nice ride. We rode down the river and then over to J&P a few weeks ago and then east to Dubuque and up through Potosi for lunch at the brewery there, then back to the La Crosse area. Nice 400 miler as well!

YENRABSRIDE
Posted 2016-07-05 6:25 PM (#186301 - in reply to #185137)

Cruiser

CASTRO VALLEY, CA United States
It gets that way on the Pacific Coast Highway too and the areas around the redwoods and wine country here in CA. Sometimes it's not too bad on a single lane highway and they pull over to let the motorcycles or faster vehicles pass. It's when they don't let anyone pass and they're traveling below the speed limit and there's a line of vehicles and passing becomes unsafe, especially when riding in a group. I generally don't like to cross the double yellow to pass, but when you're stuck behind a vehicle that's traveling so slow, it puts a damper on the whole riding experience. Of course safety is always #1, so pass with care!
diamonbird
Posted 2016-07-06 7:02 AM (#186307 - in reply to #185137)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
J.wales, I was planning to retire in Asheville as I love the area.....may/will have to rethink that!
jdr00ejr
Posted 2016-07-06 8:37 AM (#186308 - in reply to #185137)

Cruiser

Indianapolis, IN United States
Headed to Nashville Saturday and Townsend for the Victory Rally next Thursday.
jimtom
Posted 2016-07-06 1:07 PM (#186312 - in reply to #185265)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
I met some friends (brothers, one from Greeley, CO and the other from Wichita) in Murray, KY and we stayed at Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort. That place is awesome. One thing I was really shocked by. We got to ride the dragon Sunday with no cars holding us up, Virtually the entire Cherohala Skyway traffic free! We all three ride Visions, we were terrorizing the area, Harleys would just give up and pull over and wave us around! Because why? Because nothing handles like a vision, I don't get to ride like that often, we burned off all our chicken strips and shined up the rusty road abrasions on our floorboards The only traffic that really got on my nerves was our little side adventure to Bald River Falls. I was getting hot too so that was part of it. I get ill when I get hot.

Edited by jimtom 2016-07-06 1:10 PM
j.wales
Posted 2016-07-06 7:46 PM (#186317 - in reply to #185137)

Cruiser

Asheville, NC
Asheville is now Destination Beer and The Biltmore Mansion draws a ton of tourists. The rest are Half Backs with no manners and they drive with total disregard for motorcyclists. Sorry but it's true. All that said, I found out this morning that a very dear friend passed away and I am saddened by the loss. Be a friend y'all. Go see friends. Life is too short. See ya in Townsend. Black Viz, J.WALES tag.
varyder
Posted 2016-07-06 7:50 PM (#186318 - in reply to #185137)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Sorry to hear of your loss JW. Prayers of peace and comfort for family and friends.
j.wales
Posted 2016-07-07 3:39 AM (#186319 - in reply to #185137)

Cruiser

Asheville, NC
Thank you. He passed alone, no one should pass on to their final reward alone, without a spouse or friend there. Be there, I am sorry that I could not have been there for him. I know that this place and my complaints of over crowding are miniscule compared to the suffering of families in times like this. I also realize that folks work away their lives just like I do to try and save enough money to go on family vacations, I should be more tolerant, after all, they're in the same traffic I am in regardless of who created the traffic. It makes this country more beautiful in winter. Very happy I don't reside near Dollywood.
jimtom
Posted 2016-07-07 5:43 AM (#186324 - in reply to #186317)

Visionary

Very sorry for your loss. It was very important for me to read this. I need to do a better job of time with friends. I have a friend I recently met. He was alone until just the other day, his wife who abandoned him when he got sick, came back. He was grieving over her. We prayed together about this. He is still going through treatments. I have to be a better friend and now meet his prodigal wife.
Not to change the subject but where is information about the Townsend Rally?
j.wales
Posted 2016-07-07 11:24 AM (#186334 - in reply to #185137)

Cruiser

Asheville, NC
It's on FakeBook look up Tn Victory Ralley. Dragon Victory Riders is the sponsor. They are on FB as well.

Edited by j.wales 2016-07-07 11:27 AM
jimtom
Posted 2016-07-07 12:05 PM (#186335 - in reply to #186334)

Visionary

Thanks!
lennyb
Posted 2016-07-07 5:15 PM (#186336 - in reply to #185137)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Great words about being a friend. Sorry for your loss and pain for not being there.

Love the Ashville area as well, not for the Biltmore or the beer. The natural beauty and friendly locals in that area is reason enough. After reading what you experience I realize how fortunate I am that my trips have all been in the 'off' season.

j.wales
Posted 2016-07-07 7:42 PM (#186337 - in reply to #185137)

Cruiser

Asheville, NC
That's true. Honestly it's very difficult getting around the Hendersonville area. Florida tags everywhere. It can be dangerous. My favorite friends to ride with live over the hills near Sweetwater, Tn. Its still a beautiful place to live. My home is at 3400 feet elevation, no air conditioner, not needed. God shined His countenance upon me in finding this place. I'm alive, I have a good paying job and a Victory Vision. I limit my close friends numbers to a few but I like meeting the faces that go with the names. I like seeing others bikes too. If I can get through Clingmans Dome unscathed I hope to see some of you in Townsend. Ride safe brethren. Now, are they gonna whistle Dixie or draw their pistols ?
rainryder II
Posted 2016-08-05 8:52 PM (#188009 - in reply to #185137)

Cruiser

Same in the Great Northwest. It rains every day. Never gets above 45 degrees. The traffic on the I-5 Corridor is 5th worst in the country. Not dangerous unless you get killed at 5 mph. Mt Rainier may blow at any minute. The 9.5+ Cascadia earthquake is a time bomb waiting to happen. The foggy roads around the Olympic mountains are so clogged with Vampires from Forks, you can't even get around anymore. Sharknado 4 took out the Space Needle anyhow. Don't move here. It sucks. ;0)

Edited by rainryder II 2016-08-05 8:54 PM
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-08-06 5:55 PM (#188028 - in reply to #185137)

Visionary

what about the black hill over run with motorcycles for 10 days
http://rapidcityjournal.com/webcams/sturgis-sidewalk/

http://www.indianmotorcyclesturgis.com/--main-street-cam
varyder
Posted 2016-08-08 7:40 AM (#188046 - in reply to #188028)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

And what a beautiful sight. Sturgis was the first rally, of the so few that I've attended, that I really enjoyed. I had more troubles, bike and personal than anywhere I've been, but it added to the experience and not detracted. I was on a mission, literally, which is what made the difference to me. I met some very real people that I would call friend. Though I know there were a few jacklegs running around, they kept it to a minimum due to the presence of those who would not tolerate the foolishness. I pick times to go to good places in the off season, as I don't like the crowds. But Strugis was the exception and I would do it again. The ride there and back was the tops!

Edited by varyder 2016-08-08 7:42 AM
jimtom
Posted 2016-08-08 7:47 AM (#188047 - in reply to #188046)

Visionary

I would go to the Sturgis rally every year if I could. Been 7 times, rode each time. I am unable to go this year. But hope to go in the future.
ljurgens
Posted 2018-04-02 12:41 PM (#192468 - in reply to #185137)

Tourer

I know this is an old thread, but looking for advice for the Blue Ridge / Smokey Mountains areas. We are heading down there on July 5th from Wisconsin. Probably not the best time of year to go there, but that is what we've got to work with this summer...

Thinking about doing this clockwise, so that we end up west over by the Tail of the dragon around Mon/Tue of the following week as we head back northwest. There is SO much stuff out there online its hard to sift through it all.

We would be around Rockville, IN on 7/5 and then thinking somewhere east near Big Stone Gap VA on night two. Then heading over and down toward Maggie Valley NC via Little Switzerland, NC for 2-4 days of riding to include the Dragon etc. Staying in Maggie Valley for a 2-4 nights
1. Book motels etc or just wing the week after the 4th?
2. Are there good places to stay over in that Big Stone Gap VA general area?
3. Any suggested better areas would be appreciated
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™