You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision down. Backfires and won't idle when warm...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

08Tour
Posted 2016-05-29 4:27 PM (#184238)
Subject: Vision down. Backfires and won't idle when warm...

Puddle Jumper

09 Ness Vision. Starts and runs great for a minute or so. Then, when it starts to warm up, it won't idle, is rough and dies. Wiil run smooth until 2500 - 3000 rpm, then starts backfiring and loses power. Runs smoot above 3000 rpm.

The fuel pump is putting out 51 pounds of pressure. All wires in the fuel injection area look good. Sprayed carb cleaner around intake while running, no change.

Changed out the coil pack from a good running Vision. No change.

Thinking one of the O2 Sensors is bad when hot and giving the computer bad info.

Anyone out there experience this issue before? What was the fix?

Thanks for your input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-05-29 6:22 PM (#184239 - in reply to #184238)
Subject: Re: Vision down. Backfires and won't idle when warm...

Visionary

unhook 02's your bike will run great with out them.
how old is the battery. Have you checked the cables with a 10mm wrench. your hand will lie to you.
could be the 40 amp breaker by battery. NAPA sells them p/n 7823116 $3 bucks I think
could be bad plugs NAPA p/n 3481 which is DCPR6E
could be bad plug wires. witchdoctor sell ones that are better and cheaper then stock
between the two cylinders is a temp sensor that could be bad
search here for service manual and download to your computer 08 or 10 either would work

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/aoq581k2ab25z/Victory_Manuals

Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-05-29 11:42 PM (#184254 - in reply to #184238)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Give this a look see, https://youtu.be/yxqbvkO5EO8
08Tour
Posted 2016-05-30 9:15 AM (#184276 - in reply to #184238)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks Johnny and Arkain - I'll check the things you note that I haven't already checked. The breaker could definitely be subject to heat breakdown, I'll disco the O2's, and swap the temp sensor between the cyls worse case. I've built 20 + Visions, and haven't run into this situation until now. I did have a bad fuel pump that caused backfiring, but this one is putting out 51 pounds, so, I don't think it's that. Temperature seems to be the enemy here, so, I'm looking at what could go out of spec when things warm up to normal operating temp. 02 sensors are in the hottest place, so, we'll see what it does with them not giving info to the ECU. I'll post what I find today. Keep it in the Wind!
08Tour
Posted 2016-05-30 10:38 AM (#184279 - in reply to #184238)

Puddle Jumper

I just disconnected the rear O2 sensor only and the bike runs great! I idled it for 15 min. no hiccups, no backfire, no stops. No backfire between 2500 and 3000 RPM. Runs smooth! Hooray for a closed-loop smog system! Thanks California and EPA!!! Disconnecting the front O2 sensor next, after it cools down.

I just noticed this thing has an oil leak that appears to be coming out of the front cam chain tensioner bolt. As I recall, there is an o-ring in there. Probably time for a change. Let me know if this is normal behavior. Bike has 13k miles on it.

Thanks guys!
atvtinker
Posted 2016-05-30 12:09 PM (#184282 - in reply to #184238)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
13,000 on an '09 Vision? That thing must a garage queen. I'm surprised the O2 sensor has gone out already, but then you never know with those things. I have seen where you can pull them and clean the soot out of them and they will go back to working, but I think the ones for a Vision are relatively inexpensive if you get them at O'Reilly's or AutoZone.
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-05-30 5:02 PM (#184299 - in reply to #184238)

Visionary

all way disconnect 02's front and rear. Bike will not run right with jut one un plugged.

yes there is a oring sealing the chain tensioner. Dealer might take 2 weeks to get. Ask auto store
RoteBarron
Posted 2016-05-31 9:19 PM (#184318 - in reply to #184238)

Puddle Jumper

Cheyenne, WY United States
I disconnected the O2 sensors on my '13 and haven't looked back since. Near as I can tell they aren't needed so if it runs better without them (heck, mine does and it ran fine) then disconnect and ride on brother.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-08-07 6:03 PM (#188041 - in reply to #184238)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.dansmc.com/compression_test.htm
rwilly
Posted 2016-08-07 9:07 PM (#188043 - in reply to #184276)

Tourer

seattle, wa
08Tour - 2016-05-30 7:15 AM

Thanks Johnny and Arkain - I'll check the things you note that I haven't already checked. The breaker could definitely be subject to heat breakdown, I'll disco the O2's, and swap the temp sensor between the cyls worse case. I've built 20 + Visions, and haven't run into this situation until now. I did have a bad fuel pump that caused backfiring, but this one is putting out 51 pounds, so, I don't think it's that. Temperature seems to be the enemy here, so, I'm looking at what could go out of spec when things warm up to normal operating temp. 02 sensors are in the hottest place, so, we'll see what it does with them not giving info to the ECU. I'll post what I find today. Keep it in the Wind!

Low fuel pressure causing backfiring?
It appears that when my fuel level is low, it backfires more often. Is there a correlation there?
I've been meaning to check my fuel pressure.
I've got an 08 with 40K on it.
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-08-08 6:36 PM (#188048 - in reply to #184238)

Visionary

yup do a fuel pump test. auto stores will rent you the tool. should have no less then 49PSI

08Tour
guess its fix cause we haven't heard from you
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™