You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

New Vision Purchase
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Kornbread
Posted 2008-11-16 6:23 AM (#23387)
Subject: New Vision Purchase

Cruiser

Okeefenokee Swamp
If any of you were going to buy a new VISION TODAY,AND YOU BEING A CURRENT VISION OWNER, what downloads,recalls,or part upgrades would you make sure the dealer had installed,before you left with the bike?
I have read a lot of post on this site concerning issues some of you have had. After test riding the 09 Vision,I am getting one,I just want to have minimal problems.Since you guys are the pioneers I am learning from you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trekwolf164
Posted 2008-11-16 7:03 AM (#23388 - in reply to #23387)
Subject: Re: New Vision Purchase

Iron Butt

New York State
I would get the Reverse option.
ness_fan
Posted 2008-11-16 7:10 AM (#23389 - in reply to #23387)

Cruiser

US
The dealer will make sure all recalls are done at delivery as part of the set up, they do run lean new so either get the stage 1 done at delivery or at the 500 mile service. On my 09 I have just added a Lloyds VFC 3 and a Vision intake plate (367.95 delivered) you will add 7-10 HP by just doing this mufflers are all over the place the VIC mufflers are kind of quiet, Cycle Dragon and Ness Big Honkers are much deeper sounding I am having my stock mufflers recored the price is 199 and they sound great plus you know there will be no fitment issues test ride your bike before delivery if the acceleration seems sluggish or any other problems ask for a stock reflash before delivery. If you blip the throttle at stop lights the Visions don't like it and stalling issues have been reported because of this, be prepared at the 500 mile service to spend about 300.00 last because of where you live the "Best Wrench" in the area is KevinX and he works at Polaris of Gainesville a little bit of a ride but he is "The Man" for Victory repair here is a link to the sound of the recored mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huqnYwHPTJA

As you have already test ridden a Vision you know how nice a ride they are I traded in a HD for my Vision and could not be happier you ride the Vision 200-300 and watch other people riding with you hoping there will be a gas stop soon so they can rest and stretch and you will be ready to ride further.
Ride safe
VaParadox
Posted 2008-11-16 8:17 AM (#23390 - in reply to #23387)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Congrats on your up coming Visn nuptuals Im sure the two of you will be very happy. Hope your better half will be happy sharing you.
The aboves are correct although I have a brand new 08 and have had ZERO of the problems mentioned above, so perhaps some of these issues are not inherent of all Visions. Before you drive off the lot, just reaffirm with your dealer that they have done all the flashes
that are current to the bike and have taken care of all of the re-calls (not a lot of them). As far as accessories, the first thing I would
add to the bike are the lowers. They look very cool and unlike all other lowers, you can adjust them to bring air into your legs and feet to cool you in summer, or you can deflect air off legs and feet for warmth in winter. Reverse is nice but we have been riding motorcycles for years without it. It does not work like you suspect that it will. I is a small electric motor which will "assist" you in baking up the bike in short burst increments. Its not like you are going to slip it into reverse, throttle up and the bike moves backwards. For the
1200.00 I would spend it on more useful things and just be your usual conscious self and dont park heading down hill. The low center of gravity on the Visn makes it easy to back it up with your feet. BEST of luck, ride safe, get used to being a road celebrity
rdbudd
Posted 2008-11-16 2:07 PM (#23406 - in reply to #23388)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Trekwolf164 - 2008-11-16 7:03 AM

I would get the Reverse option.

Since you live in the Swamp, the hills around there probably aren't very big and you might not want the reverse gear. The low seat height does make backpeddling the bike easy, even for someone like me who has a 29 inch inseam, as long as the ground is fairly level. However, if you anticipate ever going where there are hills, you might just wish you had the reverse. A lot of the parking lots in hilly country have multiple contours within the parking lot itself, and you can easily be fooled visually into thinking you are parking with the front wheel uphill when the opposite is true. Also, oftentimes, the only parking spot available may require you to park in an awkward manner, just to get the bike to sit on it's sidestand. Sometimes, you may find that you have pulled into a spot that you should have backed into, but now you're already commited and can't back it up to turn it around. In other words, I wish my 900+ pound Vision had power reverse whenever I go to someplace like Eureka Springs, Arkansas. The parking lots there are often small, crowded, and multiple contoured. Reverse should be a standard feature on any bike in this class, as it it on others. Goldwings have it. Mostly, you never use it, but when you need it, you appreciate it. Those living outside the hills will tell you that reverse is a needless accessory. Those who ride 900 pound bikes where the ground slopes in many directions will tell you that reverse is a necessity that should have been standard equipment. The Vision is very well balanced, has a low center of gravity, and is easy to backpeddle, but it still weighs 900 pounds. I would have the CB/Intercom and reverse gear installed and certified by the dealer before I left the store with the bike. Both options are a must IMHO.

Other than that, I've not found that I've needed much else , besides the CB/Intercom on my Vision, although I'm adding the luggage rack accessory. I've not had any running/operating issues with the bike in stock form. Someone mentioned being prepared to spend $300 at the 500 mile service, which I don't understand. My 500 mile service was free. Even subsequent service intervals don't involve much more than an oil change, which shouldn't cost anywhere near $300. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't understand that statement.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2008-11-16 2:36 PM
ness_fan
Posted 2008-11-16 4:05 PM (#23410 - in reply to #23406)

Cruiser

US
rdbudd - 2008-11-16 2:07 PM

Trekwolf164 - 2008-11-16 7:03 AM

Someone mentioned being prepared to spend $300 at the 500 mile service, which I don't understand. My 500 mile service was free. Even subsequent service intervals don't involve much more than an oil change, which shouldn't cost anywhere near $300. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't understand that statement.

Ronnie

I said it and it is true, I have the receipt for it. Im glad your dealer did the service for free, mine as well as most others charge for the work, not sure what you do not understand, labor is not free, I think the price was high but have been told there are way more checks than just changing the oil, maybe you should check with your dealer or a Victory mechanic before making statements like that.
Robert
airguy
Posted 2008-11-16 4:36 PM (#23411 - in reply to #23410)

Cruiser

Hinton, Iowa
My dealer charged me $130 and told me that before I ever bought the bike.

Ride Safe, Mike
rdbudd
Posted 2008-11-17 1:19 PM (#23456 - in reply to #23411)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Robert, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't believe you. I just said I didn't understand the $300 500 mile service charge. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who has a great dealer. They sell four different brands of bikes, and the 500 mile (or initial) service is always free on everything they sell. They like to make sure the machine is up to snuff and that nothing was overlooked in the initial setup, so they like to encourage everyone to come in for that first service. The shop rate is $75 per hour, plus parts, after that. $130 for parts and labor sounds about right. As you say, check with the dealer before making the purchase.

Ronnie
dwhite28
Posted 2008-11-17 8:10 PM (#23469 - in reply to #23387)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
The 130 sounds to be pretty fair. It only takes an hour to do the 500 mile and the 2500 mile service. So one hour labor and the price of an oil change kit is about all you should be paying for. Rarely takes me more than an hour unless something else is actually wrong or out of adjustment.
ness_fan
Posted 2008-11-18 5:14 PM (#23522 - in reply to #23387)

Cruiser

US
The problem with my local dealer is they charge 65 dollars per 1/2 hour, they give you a receipt that says they did the service but does not outline or list what they did I had to ask for the extra quart of oil from the kit cause they did not give it to me. Hey David what are the checks for the 2500 mile service.
Thanks
Robert
dwhite28
Posted 2008-11-18 8:09 PM (#23530 - in reply to #23387)

Tourer

Ness_Fan,

The 500 and 2500 mile service basically is the oil and filter change. Next is the usual inspection of fasteners, belt tension, brake pads, all bearings...basiclaly inspect anything that moves and then inspect wiring and hosing for any rubbing and chaffing. Biggest issue i have now and then that eats up time, is people that mess with the idle and thinks the bike sounds cool down around 800 RPM's. So now i have to get the bike up to proper temp after a quick test ride and reset the idle back up around 1000.

Bikes prior to 2007 usually need to have the throttle bodies cleaned every 15,000 miles and then reset the idle. Takes a few minutes extra to pull the tank and upper section of the air box to get in and clean the throttle bodies.  You can go to the following link and download a copy of the 2008 Vision Service Manual and see the Maintenance schedule, there is also a copy in your owners manual. www.mediafire.com/2008visioninfo

ness_fan
Posted 2008-11-18 8:49 PM (#23535 - in reply to #23387)

Cruiser

US
Downloaded it thanks David!
VaParadox
Posted 2008-11-22 8:54 PM (#23736 - in reply to #23387)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
DWhite, does your dealership work on Honda's? I need to replace my left engine guard from slipping on a rug in the garage last night while parking my RUNE. My honda dealership here in Richmond......... well sucks ass... to be blunt. Im trying to avoid using them at all costs. I even went to Kentucky to buy my Rune instead of dealing with Honda House.... any help would be great.
thanks
Mac
dwhite28
Posted 2008-11-22 10:42 PM (#23742 - in reply to #23387)

Tourer

We dont work on much of anything other than Polaris, Bombardier and American Iron Horse. Very rare we take anything else in unless we are slow. You can always call the Chesapeake shop and talk to the David Hansin and see if we are in a position to take it in. Phone info can be found at www.alloutcycles.com
Or you can take it to Cycle World in Virginia Beach. I have heard they have turned their service department around and do pretty good. Stay away from Honda of Virginia Beach.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™