You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Winter oil change
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Minnow
Posted 2008-11-08 9:03 AM (#22835)
Subject: Winter oil change

Cruiser

Sparta, WI
Here is a question that seems less than "indepth" but I am going to ask it anyway. Winter is closing in on me and my bike is ready to be put away for 5 months. I am at the 2500 mile oil change limit ( got about 8500 total) and am wondering if it is better to change the oil now or wait until Spring and change it. Bike is inside an unheated garage, if that makes any difference. I'm guessing I should change it now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Flatsix
Posted 2008-11-08 9:15 AM (#22836 - in reply to #22835)
Subject: RE: Winter oil change

Tourer

Fargo, ND

I would suggest a change now to get rid of the contaminants in the oil prior to the lay up!  Your bike will love you for it

Minnow
Posted 2008-11-08 9:56 AM (#22841 - in reply to #22836)

Cruiser

Sparta, WI
Thanks for the response. My sister lived in Fargo for 25 years but just moved to The Twin Cities. She lived on the Red River but the city bought her house because it was in the flood plain. She was about the last one to leave. I was up there during flood season a couple of years sand bagging and pumping water.
jama
Posted 2008-11-08 10:26 AM (#22843 - in reply to #22835)
Subject: Re: Winter oil change

Cruiser

Arkansas
Be sure and put preservative in the fuel as well and run it enough to get the treated fuel into all the lines.
wjoel
Posted 2008-11-08 10:37 AM (#22844 - in reply to #22835)

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
This will be my first winter together with my 08 Vision. I will still ride until the STUPID snow
starts to fly. I won't change the oil until next spring. I've done it before with my other bikes, never had an issue. It's probably a matter of opinion.

08 Steel Gray
1700 miles
VisionTex
Posted 2008-11-08 11:36 AM (#22849 - in reply to #22844)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
This is just my opinion, but I would put it up on a lift to get the weight of the bike off the wheels.
Flatsix
Posted 2008-11-08 4:05 PM (#22870 - in reply to #22841)

Tourer

Fargo, ND

Hi Minnow,

Glad to hear you have been to Fargo, unfortunate it was to fight the 'Mighty Red' as it gets pretty ugly in the spring.  I pulled my atlas out to see where Sparta is and discovered I have been in your area many times.  Have been down along the Mississippi working the 'alphabet roads' and enjoying the curves, hills, river and scenery.  Great area you have there to ride!

Regards,

dwhite28
Posted 2008-11-08 7:14 PM (#22876 - in reply to #22835)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States

Add the proper amount of fuel additive to a FULL tank of fuel. I have seen people think that a little is good and more is better. The more can cost you a lot of time and aggravation. I have had to completely pull down tanks and fuel systems to clean them out due to excess fuel additive.

Oil that has been run develops moisture, acids and other contaminants that can attack the metal of the engine and cause pitting which will lead to more problems down the road. This is why an oil change and new filter is suggested prior to winter storage.

Edited by dwhite28 2008-11-08 7:16 PM
varyder
Posted 2008-11-08 7:25 PM (#22877 - in reply to #22876)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Minnow, I can save you a lot of trouble in my bike exercise program. Let me have it for the winter and it will ready to ride when you call in the spring....

I be feelin' for you guys above the freeze line, cabin fever and bike Jones would be too much for me to handle....

Edited by varyder 2008-11-08 7:26 PM
Minnow
Posted 2008-11-12 2:59 PM (#23130 - in reply to #22877)

Cruiser

Sparta, WI
varyder - 2008-11-08 7:25 PM

I be feelin' for you guys above the freeze line, cabin fever and bike Jones would be too much for me to handle....

5 months to go. Not sure if I can make it. Send help!
VisionTex
Posted 2008-11-12 3:12 PM (#23132 - in reply to #23130)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Don't forget to put a battery tender on your battery. As far as the help........get an enclosed trailer, put your Vision in it, tie it to your tow vechicle and go south until you get below the freeze (frost in the ground) line and enjoy a four day weekend. It will put a whole new outlook on winter for you. I know that's what I would do if I lived back up there above the "freeze line". Have a nice winter.
donetracey
Posted 2008-11-12 4:18 PM (#23133 - in reply to #22835)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
West Coast living allows me to bike all year - 'freeze line' is measured in elevation (up) - not direction (north). In the past 10 years, I have not gone more than 2 weeks without at least a hour-or-two ride when the rain lets up. The rare snowfall never stays more than a few days.
So wintering for me means keep the tank full to avoid condensation, keep a battery tender connected and ride as often as weather permits. Oil is changed as required by maintenance schedule. If I can't ride, I will at least start the bike, and allow a full warm-up weekly.
This has worked for me for all my bikes over many years.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™