You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Does Victory Really Read This Forum?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Wizard523
Posted 2008-10-31 7:40 PM (#22184)
Subject: Does Victory Really Read This Forum?

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
First of all, this is really long, and I am sorry for that. But I just had to vent, so here goes.

There are those on this forum that are convinced that Victory reads what we write in this forum, and uses it to improve the Vision. Part of me hopes they are right, while part of me hopes they are wrong.

If Victory is indeed reading this forum, they either don't care about what is really important, or are blowing us off.

Yeah, its nice that the radio has supposedly been improved, reverse is now an option, and they plan on adding ABS. But what about the single most discussed problem in all of the forums I have read ......... POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE?

The Vision is an extraordinary motorcycle. It seems to be well researched, well thought through, well tested, and overall really well designed. Its looks are awesome (although admittedly that is subjective), and its performance, handling and comfort are second to none for a touring bike (and I have ridden a few). But Victory, or should I say Polaris (because the problem starts with them), seems to ignore the most important part of developing and marketing their motorcycles; PRODUCT SUPPORT.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but for me customer services is EVERYTHING! I don't care how good your product is, if you don't provide good customer service to back it up, you will ultimately lose business and severely limit your future opportunities.

Maybe Polaris doesn't care. After all, they have a history of poor response, and have managed to do fairly for the last 50 years. Maybe they think all they have to do is design, manufacture and sell their products. But if they want to really compete with the big boys in the motorcycle world, they need to do far more than design a great bike; they need to step up the plate and provide unsurpassed customer and dealer support!

If you have a good dealer, you are miles ahead, but if you don't you are hosed! If you try to contact the factory directly, good luck! Victory seems to intentionally make themselves difficult to get to. There is limited contact info on their website and in the owners manual, and when you finally get a hold of someone (by phone, because they have NEVER answered a single email I have sent to them), all they do is tell you to talk to the dealer. I'm one of the lucky ones who has a great dealer, but he says even he has to wait on hold for long periods of time just to talk to his own rep, and once he does finally get to him, he is frequently of no help at all.

Its no wonder there aren't more Victory dealers around. Why would a dealer want to take on a new line of motorcycles (let along start a Victory dealership from scratch!) when all they are doing is asking for headaches? Why not just continue selling Yamaha, or Suzuki, or whatever else. They all have far better customer support, and actually HELP their dealer network keep existing customers and cultivate new ones (which is what customer support is really all about!). Even Harley has better customer support, and that says a mouthful.

The Vision is a great motorcycle, and while we each have our own particular pet peeves and/or wish lists, overall I have to believe that each of us really loves our bikes. But I can tell you that if another manufacturer even comes close to a product like the Vision, with a history of good customer service, Victory will lose customers faster than it would take them to answer to pick up the phone and answer one question.

R&D is great, and I love my Vision. But if Victory really wants to compete with the big boys, they are going to have to do much more than design a great motorcycle; they are going to have to get off their butts and start providing better customer service than anyone else. If they did, they would not only have some very happy customers, but would probably find their sales numbers increase substantially as well.

So if you are really reading this Victory, get yourselves past designing doodads, step up to the plate, and start providing the one thing that will take an already great motorcycle, and make it the best!

In this economy you can't just lower prices, you need to provide something no one else is providing. In the case of the Vision, there are no peers ..... YET. But as soon as someone like Yamaha catches on, Victory can kiss their successes goodbye!

Victory has an opportunity of a lifetime. What they choose to do with it will speak volumes about their future success. In the meantime, I will just sit back and enjoy my Vision. In spite of everything I have written, I still think the Vision is the best touring motorcycle around, and as long as I have a great dealer to back me up, I am a happy camper ........ for now!

Michael
Top of the page Bottom of the page
vic2004-08
Posted 2008-10-31 8:57 PM (#22186 - in reply to #22184)
Subject: Re: Does Victory Really Read This Forum?

Cruiser

Lusby,Md
I agree,I have great support from my dealer but when it comes to dealing with Victory headquarters they blow you off,I've had dealings with the ipod cord and so has other people I've talk at my Dealer and I e-mail and talked to people from the engineering department and get no where. So you're not the only one.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-10-31 9:23 PM (#22191 - in reply to #22184)

Visionary

So Cal
If they are reading this forum, they havent learned anything. Im sure anyone here could walk into Victory, impliment some simple ideas for customer service and really put Victory on the map. The engineers can only design and build a great bike. Its up to the rest of those guys to sell it. I they are happy with just selling bikes, then they are taking the right path. But, I cant help thinking that they could be making so much more, with just a little attention to current customer base.
IndyVision
Posted 2008-10-31 10:06 PM (#22198 - in reply to #22184)

Tourer

I talked with a couple engineers at the AVR. Yes they know about this sight. Victory knows about this sight. They check it and keep an eye on it. One major problem is everything goes through Polaris in one way shape or form. As an example,

If you file a claim, it goes to a Polaris claim / warrenty department. A victory engineer will not find out there is a problem until it goes past the claim department. Basically hundreds of claims could be filed for the same reason, and the engineer responsible may never know. This information came from a Victory engineer.

Another thing I was told by a Victory person at the AVR is yes they know there is a big problem with customer support. The customer-dealer-Victory link has many Polaris interactions / yellow tape that slows things down.
Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-11-01 2:15 AM (#22213 - in reply to #22184)
Subject: RE: Does Victory Really Read This Forum?

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
Does Victory Really Read This Forum?

This site isn't part of Victory nor did they start it.
Yes, it would make sense if they did, but I am not going to lose sleep over it.
akabubba42
Posted 2008-11-01 9:25 AM (#22217 - in reply to #22184)

Puddle Jumper

I have not purchased a Vision yet. I am wrestling between that and an Ultra Classic. One piece of my decision will be dealer support. I know HD has 6,500 dealers in the USA. Do you know how many Victory has? The number and quality of dealers will play a part in my decision.
rdbudd
Posted 2008-11-01 12:45 PM (#22227 - in reply to #22217)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Victory has far fewer dealers than HD, for sure. On the other hand, in my 8 years of ownership experience, I've not needed much dealer support. Just put in gas,change the oil and tires when needed, and ride.

Ronnie
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-11-02 8:13 AM (#22274 - in reply to #22184)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
The "problems" with the Vision are NOT those that will leave you stranded on the side of the road. Not to say the Vision has no problems, but the absolute majority of them are "cosmetic", although some of those "cosmetic" issues drive us nuts!
Wizard523
Posted 2008-11-02 2:02 PM (#22296 - in reply to #22274)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
I will be the first to agree that the problems with the Vision are not major in nature; I am, overall, really happy with mine. I am only saying that if Victory is REALLY looking at this web site and using the information to improve the Vision, they are missing the most important "glitch" in their product (and the one easiest and fastest to fix), and that is what appears to be their lack of concern for providing good customer support.
varyder
Posted 2008-11-02 3:29 PM (#22297 - in reply to #22217)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

akabubba42 - 2008-11-01 9:25 AM I have not purchased a Vision yet. I am wrestling between that and an Ultra Classic. One piece of my decision will be dealer support. I know HD has 6,500 dealers in the USA. Do you know how many Victory has? The number and quality of dealers will play a part in my decision.

I guess the real question is how much time you want to spend at the dealer? Fortunately, I have a dealer that is very close by and they are a good one and have a top tech there. But that wasn't my decision at buying Victory verses a Harley,  I have a HD dealer close by as well and a Honda dealer. I let my body make the decision because I planned on spending more time riding than I did having my bike in the shop. Comfort and dependablility is all I have to say about the Vision, very comfortable, long haul comfort, and oh yeah, did I mention the comfort. Not one problem has kept me from riding except on some minor cosmetic warranty claims and the dealer held my bike hostage for nearly 3 weeks. But while I've had it it has never let me down and what I have read and heard from other Victory riders it is by far a very dependable bike. I hope I have thrown in another perspective that will help you make your decision.

bigwill5150
Posted 2008-11-02 5:24 PM (#22300 - in reply to #22217)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
akabubba42 - 2008-11-01 8:25 AM

I have not purchased a Vision yet. I am wrestling between that and an Ultra Classic. One piece of my decision will be dealer support. I know HD has 6,500 dealers in the USA. Do you know how many Victory has? The number and quality of dealers will play a part in my decision.

I don't remember the exact # but I do recall that there were fewer than 10% Victory dealers than there were Harley dealers in the US. If that's what dictates your decision to buy a bike then I would definitely buy HD. I just finished a 5500 + mi ride last month and did have to locate a dealer to fix my belt and change the oil. It wasn't that difficult to find a dealer. I do have to drive over 300mi to visit the nearest one to home but I live in a rural area. I would have to drive 90mi to the nearest HD and that place is a joke. 140mi would get me to one halfway reputable. That being said, if Jane were stolen or destroyed tomorrow, I'd be at another Victory dealership the day after all the loose ends with insurance and GAP coverage were resolved.
akabubba42
Posted 2008-11-02 6:44 PM (#22307 - in reply to #22297)

Puddle Jumper

I don't want to spend ANY more time at the dealer than I have to. I'm not so concerned about Vision quality but stuff happens when you're out there on the road though, eh?

I am just curious how far away the VIC dealer would be and would they have something in stock to get me up and running again with minimal delays?
akabubba42
Posted 2008-11-02 6:44 PM (#22308 - in reply to #22297)

Puddle Jumper

I don't want to spend ANY more time at the dealer than I have to. I'm not so concerned about Vision quality but stuff happens when you're out there on the road though, eh?

I am just curious how far away the VIC dealer would be and would they have something in stock to get me up and running again with minimal delays?
VisionTex
Posted 2008-11-02 8:41 PM (#22314 - in reply to #22308)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
If you purchase a Victory motorcycle you can join the VRA, Victory Riders Assoc.. I think the first year is free, after that there is a fee to pay to remain a member. This association offers 24 hr. Emergency Roadside Assistance while your out touring. Also at any time you can call to find out what dealer is the closest to you. Or you can go on Victory website before your tour and find out what dealers are in your route before leaving home. As reported here the number of dealers is not like HD, but that is not the case. The Victory motorcycle if pretty solid, just like most others sold today. There is a good network of dealers across the US and Canada, and as reported here and that I have experience, when on the road, they help you out when your in trouble or just need service, or just want to buy a T-shirt. The tires and the battery are the same as a Goldwing so those are easy to find. As far as them getting you up and running in a minimum of time.......how would any of us answer that question? I've got 20000 miles on mine in 11 months, no on the road issues.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-11-02 9:19 PM (#22318 - in reply to #22296)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Wizard523 - 2008-11-02 1:02 PM

I will be the first to agree that the problems with the Vision are not major in nature; I am, overall, really happy with mine. I am only saying that if Victory is REALLY looking at this web site and using the information to improve the Vision, they are missing the most important "glitch" in their product (and the one easiest and fastest to fix), and that is what appears to be their lack of concern for providing good customer support.

Wizard523, if your happy with the motorcycle and your dealer, why do you want to chap on Victory?
Wizard523
Posted 2008-11-02 9:57 PM (#22324 - in reply to #22184)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
Good question Vision Tex. I want Victory to not only be the best motorcycle, but be the best manufacturer with the best product AND the best support. I guess I am hoping they WILL read this and take it to heart.

Let's face it, Victory, or should I say Polaris, doesn't support its product properly. Yes, I do love my bike, and yes I do have a great dealer. But I should not have to wait for weeks for my dealer to get an answer to a question, or to get proper support, or to get parts. My dealer shouldn't have to wait on the phone to his rep for 45 minutes, and I should not have to ride a great bike with a problem (albeit minor) for almost 4 months without a proper response from the factory (my dealer is finally taking care of it at their own expense).

I think Victory makes a great bike, and as I have said, the Vision is the best touring motorcycle I have ridden. I want to see Victory prosper and grow, and make a real dent in the market, especially with an all American product (a good portion of Harley is now produced off shore). We want to buy American and support American, but if Victory doesn't back up their product the same way the Japanese and Germans do, Victory will find themselves in the same position as GM and Ford do today (OK, maybe that's a bit much, but you get the idea). It is shortsighted for an American company to think it can compete in a world market with an American product if it doesn't really go head to head with its competitors. And that means providing a great product AND great customer support. The Japanese know this, the Germans know this; why doesn't the Americans motorcycle industry get it?

In any case, I am not really "chapping" Victory, but rather hoping to "chide" them into giving us the best customer support of any motorcycle manufacturer, and ultimately making them the best.

Nuff said. I'm off the soap box!
RedRider
Posted 2008-11-03 6:30 AM (#22335 - in reply to #22184)

Visionary

"Good question Vision Tex. I want Victory to not only be the best motorcycle, but be the best manufacturer with the best product AND the best support. I guess I am hoping they WILL read this and take it to heart."
How about getting a job at Victory and showing them how it's done or is this just another whiney, soap box post?
Do it, don't tell me about it.

"but if Victory doesn't back up their product the same way the Japanese and Germans do, Victory will find themselves in the same position as GM and Ford do today (OK, maybe that's a bit much, but you get the idea)."
I must be missing the point here? Germany brought us WWI and WWII and the Japanese, well who owns big pieces of Toyota, Mazda and other ones? Not to mention their treatment of POWs during the war, I think the Japs out did the Germans. So there's plenty of good reasons to buy foreign I guess?

So what do you do for a living?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™