You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

mpg
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

sonicbluerider
Posted 2008-10-30 8:23 AM (#22000)
Subject: mpg

Tourer

, IA
picked up my bike in august and with 5,000 or so miles on it have been around 45-48 mpg rideing with windshield down went for a ride yesterday all day about 400 miles and with windshield up only got 40mpg can your windshield really cut that much off mpg bike runs same as it did when i ought it
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2008-10-30 8:45 AM (#22004 - in reply to #22000)
Subject: RE: mpg

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Are you talking avg mpg, or instant? The variations, and reseting can play into the avg reading, as I understand it, it is the avg between fillups, if that makes sense. Mine always matches to what I figure out at the pump, so if I ride conseratively for a while the avg mpg is high, then if I ride aggressively, the avg mpg drops and what it is reading at fillup, is what the miles driven and gallons taken in avg out to be. I rode one time at 45mph for a long period and the avg actually read 52mph. But I finished that tank at 45mpg average, still the best for me so far.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-10-30 9:16 AM (#22012 - in reply to #22000)
Subject: Re: mpg

Iron Butt

, FL United States
My experience has been - windshield DOWN 46-48 mpg but with shield UP 40-42 mpg. YES it makes that much difference! But Laura my CoPliot prefers it UP to keep the wind buffeting to a minimum.
cw1115
Posted 2008-10-30 2:50 PM (#22033 - in reply to #22000)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I mention the same thing a while back. I get 40-43 with windshield down. It dropsto 37 with it up.
Minnow
Posted 2008-10-30 3:29 PM (#22035 - in reply to #22000)

Cruiser

Sparta, WI
I've had days that up or down did not make much difference in mpg and then I have had days that it made a significant difference. Go figure. Maybe the wind has somthing to do with it too.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-10-30 7:20 PM (#22058 - in reply to #22035)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
High mileage days on the Interstate highway gives me a lot of information on what influences MPG. On the my Vision, riding one up, with bags and trunk loaded for a full tour, there are two item that effect MPG. Wind direction, and quality of gas. I normally run on cruise @ 5-10 mph over speed limit. There have been times with a good tail wind I will run 30 miles extra before getting the low fuel light, that normally happens @ 205 miles. I also believe and have had large differences in MPG on differents brands of fuel. So, yes the wind has something to do with it, and don't you just love it......because your riding.
cw1115
Posted 2008-10-30 7:50 PM (#22062 - in reply to #22000)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
No doubt wind has a big effect on MPG whether the windshield is up or down.
Wizard523
Posted 2008-10-30 8:37 PM (#22063 - in reply to #22000)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
Wind does make a significant difference on my mileage, but I am still in awe of all of you who are getting such high mileage! My highest mileage going downhill with a tailwind isn't as good as your worst mileage. Am I the only one getting between 35 and 39 mpg? Sure I have seen it go north of 40 on a couple of occasions, but those are only on back roads averaging around 55 mph. I have been told in this forum that it may be the gas that is sold here in California, and I have yet to test that theory. But you can be sure that the first time I cross the boarder into wherever, I plan to fill up and hopefully enjoy what the rest of you seem to get every day.
varyder
Posted 2008-10-30 8:58 PM (#22065 - in reply to #22063)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Wizard, I'm curious about your mileage, it was basically like mine when I first got it. As I've put on the miles it seems to do better. It is more consistant since the recall flash was applied. But, when I got it last November, we had cold days, so with the EFI setup it seems to not adjust to fairly for that. So I'm wondering, what might be some other factors for you. Are you in a high altitude area? Do you drive aggressively, or conservatively? That alone for me was a noticeable factor. Winter time, new bike, rode aggressively, all the time. Popping, stalling, bad plugs.... When it warmed up and I slowed down the mileage became more reasonable. And yes, that 10% gasaholic stuff doesn't seem to be too good either. Just a few thoughts.
donetracey
Posted 2008-10-30 9:36 PM (#22070 - in reply to #22000)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Still Amazing. In 50 years, I have never even THOUGHT about MPG. And here you folks write about it as if it were important.
It's not that I'm rich or anything, it's just - well, I drive 2 to 3 times further to do the smallest chore on my ride than I would in a car. So it really costs more MPG to ride the bike - and if I stopped to think about it, it would ruin my ride. Just put more good gas in when it needs it - is all you need to know. Sheesh.
varyder
Posted 2008-10-30 9:41 PM (#22071 - in reply to #22070)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Don, I'm like you, I'm not focusing on gas mileage to get me where I'm going, I use it to measure the performance of my motor, always have. I've checked my mileage for as long as I can remember, if it began to drop, I considered how I was driving. If that didn't change, I knew I might have a problem. I ride my bike just to see how far I can go, not for the dollar, but for the challenge of it. I certainly don't putt-putt, and when I pump, I look at the gallons and not the dollars. I just want to share my perspective on the whole matter since you made the comment. I started riding again about 3 years ago and all that extra money I save from riding, I spend it on gas to go many places like see my folks or my children or just a ride. I spend more money on gas then I did with my Jeep that now sits all lonely hearted.
Wizard523
Posted 2008-10-30 9:53 PM (#22072 - in reply to #22000)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
Chris, I got my bike this last June, and so far have about 5,000 miles on it. I'm in Los Angeles, and most of my riding has been in mild to mostly hot weather (so far), although I have also ridden down into the upper 40's. I doubt anyone would ever call my riding sedate, but I do try to avoid too much aggressive riding as well (at least with my SO on the back). I ride in a lot of different conditions from stop-and-go to twisties to open highway, and probably 70% of that riding is 2 up, but I have been keeping track of my mileage since the beginning, so I have a pretty good idea of what I am getting, and under what conditions. Having said that, my mileage has been anything but consistent, other than the fact that I consistently seem to get between 35 and 39 mpg.

Like many have said before, my bike has improved in overall performance as the miles have increased, and the recall flash improved things even more, including the mileage bit. But I am still not getting anywhere near what everyone else seems to get.

I have had a chronic problem with the mileage computer since I bought the bike. The "average mileage" computer (which I reset each time I get gas) consistently reads much higher (20-30% higher) than the actual mileage I am getting. After trying several other things (including the new flash), my dealer has finally ordered a completely new computer for me. I am hopeful that it will not only correct the gross mileage discrepancy, but may also correct the minor popping I still get when the engine is cold (and yes, it still happens after the new flash, but not nearly as much as before). And if I do indeed have a computer glitch, maybe the new computer will do something with the mileage as well.

Having said all that, I recently took a trip to northern California and interestingly enough managed about 35 mpg going between 65 and 70 mph (no cruise control), and over 39 mpg going 80 mph with the cruise control. Same road and weather conditions, and fairly flat each way. Go figure!

Anyway, stay tuned. My dealer is still waiting for the new computer (3 weeks now), but when it finally comes in and I get a chance to check everything out, I'll let you know how it all goes. Then after running through a few tanks of gas, I'll probably head across the state line and check out the difference.

VisionTex
Posted 2008-10-30 10:08 PM (#22075 - in reply to #22072)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Wizard523 - 2008-10-30 8:53 PM

Having said all that, I recently took a trip to northern California and interestingly enough managed about 35 mpg going between 65 and 70 mph (no cruise control), and over 39 mpg going 80 mph with the cruise control. Same road and weather conditions, and fairly flat each way. Go figure!

Wizard, try keeping track of the brand of gas you purchase and if your able to fill the tank the same everytime. I know you California folks and now in Houston have to put up with the tricky gas station nozzles which making the tank filling a chore everytime. I know the brand of gas can raise or low the MPG.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-10-30 10:30 PM (#22083 - in reply to #22070)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
donetracey - 2008-10-30 8:36 PM

Still Amazing. In 50 years, I have never even THOUGHT about MPG. And here you folks write about it as if it were important.
It's not that I'm rich or anything, it's just - well, I drive 2 to 3 times further to do the smallest chore on my ride than I would in a car. So it really costs more MPG to ride the bike - and if I stopped to think about it, it would ruin my ride. Just put more good gas in when it needs it - is all you need to know. Sheesh.

Getting the most MPG out of your motorcycle sometimes is important and knowing how to get better MPG is also important, and "Sheesh" why not talk about it? Some stories about MPG are interesting. For instance, ealier this month I was headed west on I-10 in central Texas. Riding with my friends and MPG played a big role in the one section of the ride. Between Junction and Sonora Texas there are no gas stations. I'm not sure at this time how far that section of I-10 is, but two of my friend riding HDs almost did not make it. They thought there was no problem, but......, the Ultra ran out of gas coming off the Interstate a coasted to the pump, that was close. They knew they were in trouble when their reserve lights went on and at .5 gallons we were ~25 miles out. I was running drag and I know he was in trouble so he slowed down some, we were running 80, that's the speed limit in that area. So we talked and then I told him to pull in fairly close behing a semi and follow the truck. He didn't want to do that, so I told him to pull in behind me. I believe the Vision pokes a pretty good size hole in the wind and thought it might help, when we came off the interstate his motor died, didn't even stop at the stop sign. Across the road was a Shell station and the fill up, priceless.
donetracey
Posted 2008-10-30 11:01 PM (#22089 - in reply to #22000)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Kewl. I ran out of gas once on the Alcan Highway to Alaska. My buddy left me to get some gas, and I had a wonderful hour watching a brown bear about 200 yds away watching me. Rather have a Vespa at that moment. Or rather fill up when guage says under a half. On the Vision that means I have ridden for a couple of hours and it's time for a break anyway. MPG is for Vespas and Toyotas. You can't have real performance and good MPG. It is beyond the laws of physics. And yes, I have been on my Vision when I have had to go into "conservation mode" - because I was having too much fun to stop. And so I drove it like it was a Vespa. NOT FUN.
VisionriderDean
Posted 2008-10-31 10:53 AM (#22140 - in reply to #22000)
Subject: RE: mpg

Puddle Jumper

Nebraska
OK gotta ask... When you guy's say your getting 40-50mpg is that on trips or round town???

I'm getting nowhere near that, I've had my bike for a month not wna put on about 1500 miles on it and I'm only getting about 35-36 mpg and less than 195 per tank. During the week I'm mostly in town back and forth...
misterclean911
Posted 2008-10-31 2:36 PM (#22158 - in reply to #22140)

Puddle Jumper

shelbyville tennessee
My bike seemed to get about that when new, after it got broke in it started gettig in the upper 40 range, i also noticed alot better mileage with the wind shield down.
Wizard523
Posted 2008-10-31 4:03 PM (#22169 - in reply to #22000)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
I am glad to see that at least some outside of California are getting the same mileage that I am. Personally I am thrilled that the Vision gets in the mid to upper 30's, especially given its weight and engine displacement. My only concern is that the majority seem to be getting mileage that is about 10 mpg more that some of the rest of us.

I am wondering if everyone who seems to get such great mileage is just looking at their mileage computers, or are actually checking it each time. As I have said, my mileage computer consistently reads substantially higher than I am actually getting. If I were to rely on my mileage computer, I too would be getting in the mid 40's.
varyder
Posted 2008-10-31 8:42 PM (#22185 - in reply to #22169)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Wizard523 - 2008-10-31

I am wondering if everyone who seems to get such great mileage is just looking at their mileage computers, or are actually checking it each time. As I have said, my mileage computer consistently reads substantially higher than I am actually getting. If I were to rely on my mileage computer, I too would be getting in the mid 40's.

Me. Example is today, my computer said 40.5 my fill up came to 39.2. Most of the time it is closer than that. As I mentioned before, I check mine every time by checking the miles against gallons.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-10-31 9:00 PM (#22187 - in reply to #22000)

Visionary

So Cal
My milage is better on the highway. I ride to work every day downtown. It takes me an hour each way. Approx. 35-38 mi. round trip. I sit in a lot of traffic. 5 gal. will last a week. Average of about 32-35 mpg. On the highway anything above 70 and milage drops. At 55 I noticed that mpg is better in 5th gear. Keeping the motor at 2500rpm yeilds the best results, also runs the coolest. You can feel the reduced heat off of the oil cooler.
david.terry
Posted 2008-10-31 9:26 PM (#22192 - in reply to #22000)

Cruiser

Madison, AL
I am getting 41.2 average and I ride it like I stole it. When I'm riding on secondary roads traveling around 45-50 MPH my milage really goes up to around 47. On a recent trip my MPG dropped to 38mpg, however, I had the windshield all the way up, and the bike was loaded down with weight. I regularly exceed the load limits for the bags and the box, and also have the solo tour pack on the passenger seat. I have taken out my plugs and cleaned them off to check, and recently tightened all the nuts and bolts on the exhaust system (I haven't had a backfire pop since). I have been going by the trip computer for the avg MPG but will now use the old method of how many gallons vs miles driven. I didn't think it would be as far off as others have posted. I try to keep the motor running around 2500 rpms. I have had my bike since Jun and will have 7,000 miles before the weekend is over.
cw1115
Posted 2008-11-01 4:54 PM (#22247 - in reply to #22000)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I always do the math when I fill up. My computer is usual 2 mpg better than actual.
PhotoDude
Posted 2008-11-04 1:14 PM (#22429 - in reply to #22000)

Puddle Jumper

Summerfield, NC
Another factor I've notice is air temp. Mileage definitely drops with the air temp. I can go from 47mpg to 40 after sundown on the same stretch of fairly flat HWY. (I-40 in NC)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™