You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

charging question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

ness_fan
Posted 2008-10-24 6:55 PM (#21519)
Subject: charging question

Cruiser

US
Hello all I have a question. I have a 2009 Vision street premium I noticed the other morning while riding to work the amp or volt gauge was not in the normal 12-13 volt area it was just below the square where the 16 is but just outside the box (where the 16 is) . I had the HID light on I was going about 75 mph when I saw this, as I exited the highway and stopped at the traffic light the gauge dropped back to the 12 volt range at idle but as soon as I accelerated the gauge went back up. the bike is 2-3 weeks old and has 1K on it now. And every time it is parked at home I have the battery tender plugged in.
Thanks (hopefully this is normal)
Robert
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-10-25 10:25 AM (#21563 - in reply to #21519)
Subject: RE: charging question

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
Nope not normal.

Mine runs a little over 14 at all times. Even with all the forward lights (5), seat and grips warmer turned on, and radios.

Only at an low idle does it go down to 13.

Never have to charge it while sitting at home either. Plus, I listen to the radio a lot when tinkering with the bike.
varyder
Posted 2008-10-25 10:43 AM (#21564 - in reply to #21563)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Mine rides faithfully just above 14, closer to 15 if it had one, and consider this to be normal. At idle, it does drop to 12/13. I've had it once go bonkers right after I got the bike. It looked to be overcharging then undercharging. It was a one time thing and haven't seen it since.

Always make sure you have a good charge on your battery.

1. The best way is to remove the terminals and charge it, either trickle or full charge, but to fully charge condition.
  2. Then make sure all you connections are clean and tight.
  3. If things are out of range then have the the battery tested to be sure it is good, I've seen some go bad without notice, bikes and cars.
  4. If all is well then have the charging system checked out.

Okay, that is the way I would do it, but I'm sure you'll get a ton of other suggestions. Just make you stir often on medium heat until melted, garnish and enjoy.

Next!

Edited by varyder 2008-10-25 10:45 AM
ness_fan
Posted 2008-10-25 6:21 PM (#21599 - in reply to #21564)

Cruiser

US
varyder - 2008-10-25 10:43 AM

Mine rides faithfully just above 14, closer to 15 if it had one, and consider this to be normal. At idle, it does drop to 12/13. I've had it once go bonkers right after I got the bike. It looked to be overcharging then undercharging. It was a one time thing and haven't seen it since.

Always make sure you have a good charge on your battery.

1. The best way is to remove the terminals and charge it, either trickle or full charge, but to fully charge condition.
  2. Then make sure all you connections are clean and tight.
  3. If things are out of range then have the the battery tested to be sure it is good, I've seen some go bad without notice, bikes and cars.
  4. If all is well then have the charging system checked out.

Okay, that is the way I would do it, but I'm sure you'll get a ton of other suggestions. Just make you stir often on medium heat until melted, garnish and enjoy.

Next!

I guess mine would be just like yours I honestly did not pay attention to it that much, my travel is 53 miles each way to work guess I finally decided to look at the dash.
Thanks for the responses
Robert
dwhite28
Posted 2008-10-25 6:53 PM (#21605 - in reply to #21519)
Subject: Re: charging question

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
Just check the charging voltage. Charging should never be higher than 14.8 VDC. This is measured with the voltage meter connected to the battery and the motorcycle running. Idling the bike up to 1500 RPM should be enough to excite the windings and see a full output of the regulator/rectifier. If you need further information, please go to http://www.mediafire.com/2008visioninfo you will find a service manual for the 2008 Vision. The charging system information is generally true for any Victory and almost all motorcycles with three phase magnetos.

It is important that most people try to remember that gauges for vehicles that the public operate are built only with about 90% accuracy.  Aircraft are usually the only place you see true and accurate gauges.  This is mostly due to the extreme cost of these types of gauges.

Please check your charging system FIRST!.

If your gauge is actually correct, then you have an overcharging situation and will ruin the battery very soon if not already.  Have your dealer check this and replace all that is needed while under warranty.

Edited by dwhite28 2008-10-25 7:05 PM
ness_fan
Posted 2008-10-25 8:57 PM (#21609 - in reply to #21519)
Subject: Re: charging question

Cruiser

US
David, thanks for the info my wife revved the bike for me and I checked voltage with my old Craftsman meter it never went above the 14 volt mark.
Thanks again
Robert
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™