You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Engine Temp. Time to shut down?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

bigwill5150
Posted 2008-10-20 9:17 PM (#21226)
Subject: Engine Temp. Time to shut down?

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Hey folks,
I'd like some professional advice regarding the heat band. We've had previous threads about the normal op ranges of the 106''. The Vision doesn't come with a dipstick thermometer, so I wouldn't think this is in the Service manual. Three times on my last trip the thermometer showed 250 degrees. I was sweating bullets while filtering through downtown Chicago the first time it hit 250 and I was out in the middle of Needles, Ca. the second. I wasn't surprised when it hit 250 again in the mountains as that's normal for just about any cruiser. The first time and second times were while running Victory oil, the third was after a dealership switched me over to 20-50 Amsoil synthetic. I don't think that a viscosity change will help. Usually my bike runs 190 to 220. Was I safe running at 250? I shot my engine temps with my infrared and it seems to track consistent with the thermometer (aiming right beside the dipstick, it was about 5 degrees cooler than the oil inside) so I'm calling my thermometer good (I was bored). At what point should I be looking to pull over and let her cool down for awhile?
Appreciated,
-Will
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2008-10-20 10:17 PM (#21230 - in reply to #21226)
Subject: Re: Engine Temp. Time to shut down?

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I had ask that same question right after I got my Vision and been in heavy stop and go traffic in NC. It was a near 90 day and the motor seemed to be very hot. I was told by the dealer that Freedom engines DON'T OVERHEAT because of the way they are oiled cooled. I'm curious myself to hear more professional responses.
Teach
Posted 2008-10-20 10:20 PM (#21231 - in reply to #21226)

Visionary

Most thermostatically controlled oil coolers kick at around 225 to 240 in order to maintain temps constant but I would say you are safe at least to 285 and perhaps as high as 325. I've never worried about exceeding temps myself. I figure my crotch will tell me if its time to pull off, lol....
VisionTex
Posted 2008-10-21 11:30 AM (#21268 - in reply to #21231)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
The flash point of most synthetic and synthetic blend motorcylce oils is ~450 degrees f. So at 250 degees f. your in pretty good shape. I believe the Amsoil is up close to 500 degrees f. on flash point. The temperature at the oil ring on a gasoline motor is ~320 degrees f. So with a synthetic or blend oil there shouldn't be any issue, but if you feel your causing damage to the motor, pull over a let it cool down.
az rob
Posted 2008-10-21 1:54 PM (#21276 - in reply to #21226)

Cruiser

I never seem to have to worry about it I ride with a few Harleys and a couple of Valks nobody else seems to be able to go more than 15 mi. untill we need gas plenty of time to cool down
Banjo
Posted 2008-10-21 9:18 PM (#21296 - in reply to #21226)

Tourer

When its really hot over 90 degrees...........the engine seems alittle sluggish sometimes.......so I just floor it and get some air circulating around it....If I keep the oil changed, I dont think I could break the Freedom V twin
Banjo
Posted 2008-10-21 9:19 PM (#21297 - in reply to #21226)

Tourer

Just keep the revs up!!!

Edited by Banjo 2008-10-21 9:20 PM
Len Rhymes
Posted 2008-10-22 1:42 PM (#21337 - in reply to #21297)

Jacksonville Florida
I posed this question to the Victory Engineers when we visited the R&D center. The reply was "not to worry until it reached 300 degrees".
cjnoho
Posted 2008-10-22 9:48 PM (#21360 - in reply to #21226)

Visionary

So Cal
I got stuck in traffic not once but twice today. No room to split lanes. By the time I finally got free it was very hot. Started pinging real bad if I tried to give it more throttle in 5th. Dropped it into 4th until the heat off the oil cooler was bearable. When I finally got off the freeway, everything felt okay. Still idles smooth. Im thinking of changing the oil early. Going to look for a small fan for the oil cooler. There's an empty spot for a switch on the dash.
VaParadox
Posted 2008-10-22 10:22 PM (#21367 - in reply to #21226)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Side note on cooling. When I ordered my 08Street Premium my dealer had the lower leg wind deflectors installed on his bike. They are pretty cool looking. I have always heard that its pretty hot behind all that front fairing and on my 3 test rides before purchase, i had to agree it was HOt down there. My dealer had me drive his bike with the lowers installed and I gotta tell you ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. Two major points, all that heat is totally dispersed from the sides and your legs/feet are not hot. also the re-directed air flow entering both sides of the engine noticeably lowered engine temp. You can adjust these lowers to direct the incoming air right into the sides or during winter you can totally block it off and utilize the heat. Sorry for rambling, the point is use them to cool the engine on these hot days.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-10-23 8:16 PM (#21436 - in reply to #21226)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
when i took my vision in a week ago for the recall. i watched them connect the computer up to my bike and do a full scan of all sensors etc. i noticed the software on the computer said my engine was operating at 10F higher than the oil dipstick thermo said it was at.
KansasGuardsman
Posted 2008-10-23 9:07 PM (#21440 - in reply to #21226)
Subject: RE: Engine Temp. Time to shut down?

Cruiser

Wichita, Kansas
The question got me thinking, so of course, I did a search for "engine oil temperature" and came up with a site I hadn't run across before.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

I've been reading articles about oil ever since synthetics and Slick 50 became the rage for performance over 20 years ago. This seems to be a very reasoned, fairly scientifically based article. I'll leave it to you to read (it's long) but the short version is that he defines all the different classes and uses of motor oils and discusses the reality of what the numbers mean. And yes he does mention motorcycles.

BTW, been a ViVi owner (steel grey street) for about 10 days now. Best bike I've ever owned in 44 years of riding. Being new I'm still looking for new things to spend money on. The oil temp gauge mentioned - is this the same as the one for the other Vic engines? I haven't found one yet that says it's for a vision.

Thanks in advance. Be safe.
varyder
Posted 2008-10-23 9:53 PM (#21446 - in reply to #21440)
Subject: RE: Engine Temp. Time to shut down?

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks there KG, for your service to our country and for the oil info. The bottom line is yes on the Oil Temp Gage.
dwhite28
Posted 2008-10-23 10:11 PM (#21450 - in reply to #21226)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
KansasGuardsman,
Yes, the Victory oil temp/dipstick is the same for the Vision as the 100 Cubic inch engines as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™