You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

air compressor
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

varyder
Posted 2008-10-19 8:10 PM (#21117)
Subject: air compressor

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
has anyone installed an air compressor for inflight adjustment of the rear shock?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
radioteacher
Posted 2008-10-19 9:50 PM (#21123 - in reply to #21117)
Subject: Re: air compressor

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I carry the Victory pump with me all of the time. It takes me about 2 to 3 minutes to adjust the pressure if needed. I have heard that others have pressure bleed down over time but mine is very steady.
varyder
Posted 2008-10-19 10:06 PM (#21126 - in reply to #21123)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Yes, mine is real steady too, and I know it takes all but a few seconds to pump up. However, there are occassions that the wife unit rides and we're already underway when I remember that I didn't put in the few extra pounds and I don't want to stop. It would be nice to push a button and it levels out on the fly.
LA Victory Rider
Posted 2008-10-20 12:01 PM (#21172 - in reply to #21117)

Cruiser

Monrovia, Ca
A compressor would build some moisture and you don't want that in the shock. Use the hand pump only
Lotzafun
Posted 2008-10-20 11:34 PM (#21238 - in reply to #21126)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

varyder - 2008-10-19 9:06 PM Yes, mine is real steady too, and I know it takes all but a few seconds to pump up. However, there are occassions that the wife unit rides and we're already underway when I remember that I didn't put in the few extra pounds and I don't want to stop. It would be nice to push a button and it levels out on the fly.

You were reading my feeble mind !! One day last week I was looking in the cavity below the trunk area and thinking about the possibity of squeezing a small compressor in there. With an inline pressure gauge. Use an airline quick connect/disconnect and a simply plug for the electrical.

I added this to my to-do/consider list for this winter. 

Would be really sweet with a console mounted switch. And killer with a digital gauge on the dash. Wonder if they have an electrical digital gauge? Would be much easier to run electrical to the dash versus air line.

LA Victory Rider - 2008-10-20 11:01 AM A compressor would build some moisture and you don't want that in the shock. Use the hand pump only

A small inline filter would easily solve this issue.

Here is one that my painters use at thier paint guns to stop any moisture http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/KBS-Dry-Air-Spray-Gun-Filter_p_14-23.html Just replace it about once a year or so.

Lotzafun
Posted 2008-10-22 11:57 PM (#21380 - in reply to #21117)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
Chris-

Been a few days. You still pondering attempting an onboard compressor?

I poked around for a few minutes today seeing what I could find online that may fit down in the trunk cavity. Looks like there might be a few options. Need to do some measurements and see what kind of room there is to play with.

Was talking to one of my techs today about this idea. He says it really shouldn't be a problem with routing the airline and electrical. About his only concern was leakage over time. But he said if all the connections are taped with plumbers tape it shouldn't be much of a concern, if any. Its a matter of taking the time and doing it right the first time.

He tossed out an idea of a small gauge mounted ona bracket off the bottom of the handlebars or the underside of the console. Something unobtrusive but yet can somewhat easily seen. Or in other words something that doesn't take away from the lines of the dash. We also thought of another issue...calibration of the guage. Could probably be pretty close with a dial gauge. But it looks like a digital gauge might be the best option.

And something else I just thought of....need a small shut-off or "bypass" valve so if the trunk is removed the factory fitting is usable.
varyder
Posted 2008-10-23 5:19 AM (#21387 - in reply to #21380)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Thanks for the research Lotza, I've got to do some on my own as well. I've had the idea since getting the bike and contemplated as whether I could live without it since I never had one. It is one of those really nice to have, but as you pointed out that it comes with its own problems. I saw a TC with the air compressor on it and found that it was a very nice luxury and after a few attempts they said they finally got it right. It priced out to be around $1,400 for the set-up. I was looking to see if anyone else had hit on it with the Vision and see what their solution was. With winter here and no garage it will be a winter research thing and I'll probably go for it in the spring time, by then I'll know exactly what to do. That's not to say I won't do it sooner as we get some nice days even through December, I don't see me doing it with 30 degree nights with 60 highs. Where did all the global warming go?

I was also planning to make it removable, so that would mean trying to route it to the stock hose inlet so that it could be put back at anytime to the original. I think there is enough cavernous spots on the Vision that it would be an easy hide and mounting the gage and switch would be the biggest problem. I take a long time to think about things and the Vision is the first impulse buy I didn't regret.

radioteacher
Posted 2008-10-23 12:27 PM (#21404 - in reply to #21117)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I can understand how the compressor can add air to the shock but how would someone release the pressure if it was too much. I guess that one would need a electrically operated release valve to slowly drop the pressure.

The main thing I want to change right now is to reduce the reach and pull of the clutch.
varyder
Posted 2008-10-23 12:49 PM (#21406 - in reply to #21404)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I would only guess that an air compressor application I would look for would have the inflate/deflate built in with limiting release valve to keep from overflating. My main goal was to let someone else go through all that aches and pains of making the first attempt of installing one and then share with everyone else what not to do.

I was going to suggest finger extenders but since you want to reduce the pull on your clutch, that would only work on the reach. I think someone on here made a sophisticated approach suggestion and said bend the handle to suit you. But don't blame if it breaks or malfunctions.

az rob
Posted 2008-10-23 4:18 PM (#21421 - in reply to #21117)

Cruiser

There is a guy on e-bay who sales compressors that will fit in the saddle bag where the air fitting is located worse case make a mount and maybe dremel out some plastic to help it fit I will try to find the link
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™