You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Trunk running lights
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

OzBiker
Posted 2015-06-05 10:48 AM (#172682)
Subject: Trunk running lights

New user

Lakes Entrance, VIC Australia
Hi Guys, Brand new here. I'm also brand new to Victory as I've only just bought a 2009 Victory Vision Tour a week ago. I'm in Australia and that may have something to do with my problem, but I'm not sure.

My question is about the red running lights towards the top on either side the trunk. Mine do not operate under any conditions. They don't come on when the lights are on and engine is running, and they don't come on when the brake is applied.

The lenses have globes in them, and there are wires running to both of the lenses, and the main plug at the base of the trunk, under the seat, is plugged in. The internal boot light works just fine, so power is getting up the wiring loom into the trunk. The bike is totally stock and has now only done 7,400 klms (approx 4,500 miles). Yeah, I know, lows miles for that age, but the older guy who owned it had knee surgery not long after he bought it and was hoping to be able to ride it again when he recovered. He ended up realizing he was never getting on it again and finally put it on the market.

I have spoken to the service department at the Victory dealership in Melbourne (where it was bought from) and they claim that those lenses are just reflectors and not working lights. They even went as far as to say that they doubted the lenses had globes in them. I can see that the lenses have globes, and I also know that they can be made to operate from the YouTube clips of bikes in the States, as well as from the many threads on this forum about making them flash and/or operate as brake lights.

It's possible that the Australian bikes were setup without those lights being operational for some compliance reason here, but I'd rather have mine function if its technically possible to do so.

I'm guessing you States guys won't have come across this problem, but I'm putting it out there just in case. If anyone can shed some light (excuse the pun) on this I'd be greatly appreciative.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rdbudd
Posted 2015-06-05 11:17 AM (#172683 - in reply to #172682)
Subject: RE: Trunk running lights

Visionary

Jasper, MO
The USA spec bikes come with them wired as a running lights only. Both sides are on one circuit and they do not operate individually in stock form. They have a single filament. You should be able to make them work as running lights.

Some people have modified them to use a two filament bulb and installed their own wiring to make them operate as run and turn indicators.

Many of us have installed LED strips in the gap between the lid and base. Some used one long string and wired it as a brake light. Some used two strips and wired them as turn signals. Some of us , like myself, used three strips and wired them as brake and turn signals. I used two amber strips on the sides for turns and one red strip in the center for brakes. My stock running lights were left as is and are lit all the time.

Ronnie
OzBiker
Posted 2015-06-05 11:28 AM (#172684 - in reply to #172682)
Subject: Re: Trunk running lights

New user

Lakes Entrance, VIC Australia
Thanks rdbudd. I have seen some posts about adding LED lights and modifying the existing lenses (both are a possibility for a later project), but right now I'd be happy just to get them to work as running lights like they should.

It's almost embarrassing as my riding buddies have already poked fun at the pointlessness of having them there if they don't do anything. I've taken the trunk off in order to see if I could find anything obvious, however the plug and the loom look brand spanking new, just like the rest of the bike.

I'm hoping I won't have to defend the indefensible for long :-) (Who needs enemies when you have Harley riders as friends - lol!)

Jason

subdude17349
Posted 2015-06-08 8:24 PM (#172716 - in reply to #172682)
Subject: Re: Trunk running lights

Puddle Jumper

South-Central, PA United States
Jason, have you tested the wire to see if it has voltage coming to it? Start at the bulb (globe), then check the connector under the seat (green/pink wire). If there is no voltage to the connector, it should be easy enough to source a 12 volt switched wire under the seat ( maybe a tail light) and tap into it for the trunk lights.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™