You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Found this on bottom of page/ administrator
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

johnnyvision
Posted 2015-05-25 5:42 PM (#172543)
Subject: Found this on bottom of page/ administrator

Visionary

Heard on the Street...

"The Vision can recover on its own from a tank slapper at 85 mph. Test riders actually got the bike up to 85, set the cruise, took their hands off the bars and then slapped the end of one bar with all they have putting it into a violent tank slapper and then timed how long it took the bike to recover without rider input!"

I think this is BS where did it come from 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2015-05-25 9:22 PM (#172544 - in reply to #172543)
Subject: Re: Found this on bottom of page/ administrator

Visionary

Central Maryland
I don't know but taking your hands off of the handlebars at speed like that is fucking stupid and this thread warrants no further discussion.

/thread.
varyder
Posted 2015-05-25 9:37 PM (#172545 - in reply to #172543)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Airborne!!
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-05-26 6:17 PM (#172559 - in reply to #172543)

Visionary

Who writes this "Heard on the Street"
rwilly
Posted 2015-05-26 10:27 PM (#172562 - in reply to #172543)

Tourer

seattle, wa
The front end will naturally correct itself.
I believe it would be impossible to create a tankslapper just by slapping the bars.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2015-05-27 9:01 AM (#172567 - in reply to #172543)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
I write 'heard on the Street" and get the info from various sources. I believe the quote in question was from 2008 when the Vision first hit the bike mags and it was taken from one of them in which the author relates a conversation with Vic engineers, can't remember which. Whether it's anecdotal, unofficial word from Victory insiders sworn to secrecy, substantiated rumor, or observation, Heard on the Street quips are meant to catch your eye and spur discussion (guess it worked).
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-05-27 2:49 PM (#172569 - in reply to #172567)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Jedi Jeff - 2015-05-27 9:01 AM

I write 'heard on the Street" and get the info from various sources. I believe the quote in question was from 2008 when the Vision first hit the bike mags and it was taken from one of them in which the author relates a conversation with Vic engineers, can't remember which. Whether it's anecdotal, unofficial word from Victory insiders sworn to secrecy, substantiated rumor, or observation, Heard on the Street quips are meant to catch your eye and spur discussion (guess it worked).

PERFECT !! lol
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-05-27 6:11 PM (#172570 - in reply to #172543)

Visionary

I can tell you first hand slapping the bars and putting the bike into any kind of wobble you're going to crash.

Thanks Jedi Jeff for stepping up. I'll read it and not bring up the BS topics

kin52
Posted 2015-05-28 4:50 AM (#172575 - in reply to #172570)

Cruiser

Louisville, KY
there was actually video on you tube of a guy on a vision going into a tank slapper and crashing a vision. I'll see if I can find it later.
varyder
Posted 2015-05-28 5:28 AM (#172576 - in reply to #172543)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

A vision, or any motorcycle can recover from a tank slapper if the conditions are right. I've heard of stories where this has happened, with or without the rider still on and the motorcycle continue on. A skilled motorcyclist could do it, if those folks can do the tricks they do, the OP is no surprise to me. 

After thought; I would have to see the video of the OP before I believed it was true tank slapper at 85mphs.

Edited by varyder 2015-05-28 5:30 AM
SteveS
Posted 2015-05-28 5:52 PM (#172581 - in reply to #172575)

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
kin52 - 2015-05-28 4:50 AM

there was actually video on you tube of a guy on a vision going into a tank slapper and crashing a vision. I'll see if I can find it later.

Could this be the one your thinking of? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iC14h-i3Ns I don't see this as a legit tank slapper-just came up short on sense and talent. Way too hot into the corner and then overbrake and lose control. The bike was probably was capable of handling the corner at that speed if the pavement was clean and the tires were decent and just enough brake to settle it down. It's a 2008, so no ABS, that probably would have helped a little.

Edited by SteveS 2015-05-28 5:54 PM
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2015-05-28 6:23 PM (#172582 - in reply to #172543)
Subject: RE: Found this on bottom of page/ administrator

Cruiser

This reminds me of a Daytona bike race during Bike Week a few years back. Sitting high up in the stands right at the end of pit row is a fairly good place to sit. About the only part of the track you can't see is a few hundred yards immediately behind pit row, maybe a chicane, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I'm watching 3 or 4 riders exit onto the long straight-a-way on the far side of the track as they come out of this particular section. The front rider smartly pulled away from the second rider in the group just as this(number 2 in line) guys bike did "almost" a tank slapper. It threw the rider off the bike, straightened right back up and caught up to the first rider at the far end of the straight-a-way just as he was going into the right hand turn. I think it may have rear ended him but don't remember for sure. Meanwhile the second rider is up and chasing the bike, which seems to be doing better without him.

It was one of those things I wished I'd have been video-taping and pretty funny too. I don't think the bike went down before throwing the rider.
rdbudd
Posted 2015-05-28 6:45 PM (#172583 - in reply to #172567)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Jedi Jeff - 2015-05-27 9:01 AM

There was an article back in 2007 or 2008 done by the folks at Arizona Victory in which they had a prototype Vision delivered to their store for display purposes, but without a key. They took it upon themselves to get a key made and were riding the thing around and actually rode it to the next dealer in line. Victory was pretty upset at the stunt, but Arizona Victory pre-sold several bikes before they were even officially released for sale, which helped smooth the tensions. It may have been in that article that one of the test riders stated that he slapped the bars hard at 85 MPH and the bike recovered quickly and did NOT go into a tank slapper.

One of the guys was photographed riding the Vision from the backseat with no hands on the controls at all for several miles. The point being made was how stable the bike is.

I do remember reading an article somewhere back then where the rider intentionally slapped the bars to see if the bike would go into a tank slapper, which it did not. He was comparing it to a Goldwing, which will go into a tank slapper if you do that. Nuts, I know, but it was tried and commented on somewhere.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2015-05-28 6:59 PM
rdbudd
Posted 2015-05-28 7:07 PM (#172584 - in reply to #172576)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
varyder - 2015-05-28 5:28 AM

A vision, or any motorcycle can recover from a tank slapper if the conditions are right. I've heard of stories where this has happened, with or without the rider still on and the motorcycle continue on. A skilled motorcyclist could do it, if those folks can do the tricks they do, the OP is no surprise to me.?

After thought; I would have to see the video of the OP before I believed it was true tank slapper at 85mphs.

I have recovered, without crashing, from a full blown tank slapper at speeds higher than 85 MPH on a Yamaha I used to have. More like 110 MPH. No, I did NOT induce it intentionally, but I did ride it out without crashing. The tank had dents in the sides from my knees after it was over. The guy next to me said the bars were going full lock to lock. It scared the crap out of me. It happened more than once. The dealer could never find the problem. I got rid of that bike.

Ronnie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™