You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Anyone ever remove the mufflers from a Vision?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

mannymo
Posted 2015-04-22 2:57 PM (#172035)
Subject: Anyone ever remove the mufflers from a Vision?

Puddle Jumper

I have a 2014 and Im looking for any info, tips, gotchas, special tools etc.....
thanks,
Manny
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kin52
Posted 2015-04-22 3:27 PM (#172036 - in reply to #172035)
Subject: RE: Anyone ever remove the mufflers from a Vision?

Cruiser

Louisville, KY
Nothing special required. Socket wrench to remove all the hose clamps. then wiggle wiggle wiggle to loosen up the muffler to pipe connection and bump with a rubber mallet till they pop off.
mannymo
Posted 2015-04-22 3:42 PM (#172037 - in reply to #172035)
Subject: Re: Anyone ever remove the mufflers from a Vision?

Puddle Jumper

Kin52,
I thought it was easy as you describe but in the service manual it has you removing several side panels and using a special tool to rotate the muffler.
Can I get to the bolts that attach the mufflers to the bike without removing any side panels?
willtill
Posted 2015-04-22 3:45 PM (#172038 - in reply to #172035)

Visionary

Central Maryland
It's really easier to remove the lower rear bag panels; to get to those two bolts that hold each muffler on. Also; you do not need the special tool.
mstrroissy
Posted 2015-04-26 6:35 AM (#172111 - in reply to #172035)

Puddle Jumper

Chesapeake, VA
Did mine a couple times. Once for adam bombs, and once when wife said she would no longer ride with me with said Adam Bombs....LOL. I followed service manual, and it worked like a charm. Only hairy part is that lower side panel removal. You are going to think its sure to break the way it has to be kinda twisted/pulled to get the last clips out.
varyder
Posted 2015-04-26 7:27 AM (#172113 - in reply to #172035)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I think you want to remove the panels just to make it easier to put back together. It's really not that hard and I'm getting ready to replace my mufflers again. I use grease on the pipes when I put it back together. This makes it easier to pull the next time.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-04-27 4:27 AM (#172132 - in reply to #172035)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
on Both of my Vision's i have Never removed the panels when i replaced the mufflers.. One my first vision the mufflers were taken off then on then off then on again .. each time never removing body work.. for ME, what i use to get in between the muffler and the rest of the bike are these.. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/214Unp9y-LL.jpg gear wrench.. the ratchet part is what makes the difference..
diamonbird
Posted 2015-04-27 5:57 AM (#172134 - in reply to #172035)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
If you remove the baffles you will kill your low end power, the power to take off from a stop. When I got my Vision the guy before me had removed the baffles and it was a sick Belch to pull away from a stop, I had to use a lot of clutch and a lot of RPM's to move the bike. Tuning was also an issue and that wasn't right either.
atvtinker
Posted 2015-04-27 10:30 AM (#172137 - in reply to #172035)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
2-10mm nuts on both sides and a hose clamp at the front of each muffler and then you have to rotate the mufflers towards the inside to get the bolts out of their slots. Then it is a matter of wiggling them around a bit to open up the clamped area to slide them back. Removing the baffles doesn't hurt as much on the low end as removing the catalyst honeycomb that is at the end of each head pipe. Not to mention it gets pretty loud when you do this. When I had put the CFR's on my Vision I thought I was suppose to take out the honeycomb out too. Big mistake! Had to find some used head pipes to replace them because they are not replaceable. Taking the lower saddlebag pieces off does make it easier to get to the nuts, but it is not necessary. Hope this helps.
Street Eagle
Posted 2015-04-27 12:05 PM (#172139 - in reply to #172035)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
No matter which way you do it, its great experience jumping in and doing it yourself. Reading the Service Manual will guide you but it appears daunting until you actually do it. The Vision is quite easy to breakdown once you've done it a couple times. You don't have to be a mechanic but if you are comfortable with doing some simple wrenching...go for it!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™