You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Fueler controller settings
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

willtill
Posted 2015-04-13 11:22 AM (#171819)
Subject: Fueler controller settings

Visionary

Central Maryland
For you guys running a Lloydz top filter...

What are your Fuel Controller settings; for Green (cruising), Yellow (acceleration) and Red (WOT) zones?

I'm trying to dial mine in again. Not happy with the rich condition at cruising. Not happy with the acceleration. I think I'm rich at idle/cruising and lean at acceleration/WOT.

I know all bikes are different with these settings; I just want to see if I'm somewhere in the ballpark with the rest of them; regarding the fuel controller and the extra air that I'm getting. Mu O2's are unhooked as well.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Haze_Gray
Posted 2015-04-13 3:10 PM (#171823 - in reply to #171819)
Subject: Re: Fueler controller settings

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, VA
Check out Lloydz web site. He has VFC3 installation guide posted and some basic settings to use for different add ons, such as filter, pipes, etc... Call them if this doesn't help.
willtill
Posted 2015-04-13 6:36 PM (#171826 - in reply to #171823)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Haze_Gray - 2015-04-13 4:10 PM

Check out Lloydz web site. He has VFC3 installation guide posted and some basic settings to use for different add ons, such as filter, pipes, etc... Call them if this doesn't help.

Yes, I've seen those... what I'm looking for is what others are currently using for tuning.... Lloydz is a starting point only. I know there are a lot of variables involved.

I want to start a discussion about tuning with the Fuel Controllers.

Edited by willtill 2015-04-13 6:36 PM
JustBob
Posted 2015-04-13 7:49 PM (#171830 - in reply to #171819)

Cruiser

Extreme Southern, AZ United States
What zone? The PCV controllers have very granular settings.
willtill
Posted 2015-04-14 5:41 AM (#171837 - in reply to #171819)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Not PCV controllers. I'm talking about VFC's...

http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000003

What are your Fuel Controller settings; for Green (cruising), Yellow (acceleration) and Red (WOT) zones?

Edited by willtill 2015-04-14 5:42 AM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-04-14 6:20 AM (#171838 - in reply to #171819)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
My experience with ANY fuel controllers have been... what Biker (A) uses doesnt anyways work perfectly with Biker (B) even when using the exact same setup... this was even a recent example of myself last year Before i got my AUTO TUNE... i had a map designed for the Exact same set up that i had... and i was running way Rich........ once i got the auto tune, not only did my MPG go up , but my throttle response has been better than i ever remembered.. so my point is... asking someone for their settings is almost meaningless.
willtill
Posted 2015-04-14 7:33 AM (#171840 - in reply to #171838)

Visionary

Central Maryland

Arkainzeye - 2015-04-14 7:20 AM

My experience with ANY fuel controllers have been... what Biker (A) uses doesnt anyways work perfectly with Biker (B) even when using the exact same setup... this was even a recent example of myself last year Before i got my AUTO TUNE... i had a map designed for the Exact same set up that i had... and i was running way Rich........ once i got the auto tune, not only did my MPG go up , but my throttle response has been better than i ever remembered.. so my point is... asking someone for their settings is almost meaningless.

I KNOW that.  I already stated that EARLIER in this thread....

But I want to know what every body else's experience and settings are anyway.  Just to see if I'm in the ballpark.

Haze_Gray
Posted 2015-04-14 7:34 AM (#171841 - in reply to #171819)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, VA
I have the VFC3 on my Vision. But I have Ness Big Honkers along with the front high flow filter, top Lloydz filter, timing wheel at 4 degrees, 02 sensors unplugged. With everything but the Big Honkers, I went with what Lloydz people suggested. I had the Big Honkers installed and Dyno'd by Kyle during Bike week in October at Myrtle Beach last year. With that said my Green light setting is 4.5 which gives me a air/fuel ratio of around 13.2. That gave me 94 hp and 114 ft/lbs. All I can tell you is to start with what Lloydz suggests and fine tune from there on your own or have it Dyno'd by a pro.
Haze_Gray
Posted 2015-04-14 7:43 AM (#171842 - in reply to #171819)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, VA
I used to run jet engines on test cells during my Navy career and until you have all the gauges and test equipment hooked up to tell you how that engine is running, your only guessing. Have all the goodies you want on your bike installed and then let a pro dial it all in. Past experience tells me that even though an engine sounds like it is running great that doesn't mean that you have it set up correctly. My be running to lean, etc... I want my bike to run good and last for a long time.
cujo19
Posted 2015-04-14 7:55 AM (#171843 - in reply to #171819)

Puddle Jumper

I have my vfc set at G3.5 Y4 R2
rdbudd
Posted 2015-04-14 10:15 AM (#171847 - in reply to #171843)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
All bikes are different. People have different parts on their bikes. Even with the same combination of parts, each bike is still different. You have to tune to YOUR bike.

One of the great things about the VFCIII is the fact that it can easily be tuned without a dyno, and you can get very close to the results of a dyno tune by doing it using the road test method.

I know for a fact that this procedure has been used with great success by both KevinX, and Rylan. My bike was tuned this way. No dyno used or needed.

Find a nice straight clear road.

Start with all settings off or all the way to the left.

GREEN---Run steady at 30 MPH in 2nd gear. Add fuel until the surging stops. Then, add one full point.

YELLOW---Run steady at 30 MPH in 2nd gear. Smack the throttle hard and concentrate on the acceleration feel. It will continue to improve as you add Yellow. Keep adding UNTIL the acceleration feel starts to go soft or feel mushy. Back down one full point from there.

Red---Generally should be the Green setting, plus one full point. You can fine tune by running at 60 MPH in 3rd gear and doing hard roll-ons. Adjust according to the feel of response and acceleration.

GREEN-BLUE---Leave it off unless you have a NOS system installed.

RED-BLUE---2.5 to 3

YELLOW-BLUE---2.5 to 3

Enjoy.

Ronnie
willtill
Posted 2015-04-14 11:36 AM (#171849 - in reply to #171847)

Visionary

Central Maryland

rdbudd - 2015-04-14 11:15 AM

All bikes are different. People have different parts on their bikes. Even with the same combination of parts, each bike is still different. You have to tune to YOUR bike.

One of the great things about the VFCIII is the fact that it can easily be tuned without a dyno, and you can get very close to the results of a dyno tune by doing it using the road test method.

I know for a fact that this procedure has been used with great success by both KevinX, and Rylan. My bike was tuned this way. No dyno used or needed.

Find a nice straight clear road.

Start with all settings off or all the way to the left.

GREEN---Run steady at 30 MPH in 2nd gear. Add fuel until the surging stops. Then, add one full point.

YELLOW---Run steady at 30 MPH in 2nd gear. Smack the throttle hard and concentrate on the acceleration feel. It will continue to improve as you add Yellow. Keep adding UNTIL the acceleration feel starts to go soft or feel mushy. Back down one full point from there.

Red---Generally should be the Green setting, plus one full point. You can fine tune by running at 60 MPH in 3rd gear and doing hard roll-ons. Adjust according to the feel of response and acceleration.

GREEN-BLUE---Leave it off unless you have a NOS system installed.

RED-BLUE---2.5 to 3

YELLOW-BLUE---2.5 to 3

Enjoy.

Ronnie

Haze Gray,

Thanks for your settings.  Three additional questions;

- What are your Yellow and Green settings?

- What do your sparkplugs look like with Green at 4.5?

- When you are at idle and looking at your VFC's lights; do the Green LED's stay illuminated at 4.5, or do you see them illuminate at 2 LED's

...and Cujo19.... thanks for your settings.

Hi Ronnie,

Yes, I have those instructions already.� As I have said before; I understand that all bikes will be tuned differently. I'm just looking for other folks settings. What are your current green/yellow/red settings?

Edited by willtill 2015-04-14 11:46 AM
rdbudd
Posted 2015-04-14 3:06 PM (#171852 - in reply to #171849)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
willtill - 2015-04-14 11:36 AM

Hi Ronnie,

Yes, I have those instructions already.? As I have said before; I understand that all bikes will be tuned differently. I'm just looking for other folks settings. What are your current green/yellow/red settings?

Not that it matters at all, unless our bikes are configured with exactly the same equipment, my settings are Green=3, Yellow=4.5, and Red=3. My Yellow-Blue=5.5 and my Red-Blue=5.5

In a 5th gear roll-on contest with 1800 Goldwings, starting at 55 MPH, my bike slowly walks away from the GWs up until we hit 90 MPH, at which point it wakes up and runs away from the GWs and they top out around 125 MPH. At that point I shift into 6th and leave them far behind.

Fuel economy is unchanged from stock.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2015-04-14 3:18 PM
willtill
Posted 2015-04-14 7:05 PM (#171859 - in reply to #171819)

Visionary

Central Maryland
What I am finding interesting here (although it is still early with replies) is that even though folks are "butt dyno'ing" the VFC... it is not enough to ensure that the A/F is proper.

I have been research VFC's on other forums as well.

VFC's typically are set to only deliver a 30 percent increase of additional fuel... across all eight LED's being displayed for each setting (Green/Yellow/Red).

Many are running VFC's at the recommended Stage 1 baseline settings ie: opened airbox/ free flowing exhaust; and only deviating slightly from those settings while "butt dyno'ing" their bike ....thinking and believing that they are appropriately and safely dialing settings that are neither too rich... or too lean. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

The Green zone is where the bike spends most of it's time.

Take a look at Haze Gray's Green setting that he volunteered AFTER he was Dyno'ed. His Vision setup is exactly like mine... but he's running a 4.5 in the Green zone to attain a 13.2 AFR which is not lean nor rich. It's optimum. I want to know what his Yellow and Red zones are.... especially if he was Dyno'ed and they were adjusted as a result of that.

My bike's mod's are almost like his (save for the exhaust - I have S1L2's) and I am running 3.0 setting in the Green zone and getting indication(s) of a lean burn... evidenced by practically white plugs and backfiring.

What I want to point out is that the VFC's (no matter whom is manufacturing them) only offer an additional "nominal" amount of fuel above what the ECU's maps articulate for the injectors. The VFC's "piggyback" that signal being sent to the injectors from the ECU and widen (or lessen) that amount of fuel being delivered... and it's not the amount of fuel you would think while punching away at the settings on the VFC.

Dobeck Engineering has a wide band AFR tool that can be rented from them; for $20.00 a week that will give the exact A/F while trying to program and dial in your VFC (from whomever you bought it from). I think I may go that route... but I just wanted to get an idea from my fellow riders as to how you are setting your VFC's and what the values are.... Haze Gray has given some minute insight as to what a Dyno shows... as compared to what our "butts" feel... while trying to dial these damned things in.

Edited by willtill 2015-04-14 7:06 PM
rdbudd
Posted 2015-04-14 10:25 PM (#171870 - in reply to #171859)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Comparing the settings someone else has with yours is an apples and oranges comparison, unless they are equipped with EXACTLY the same parts.

My "butt dynoed" bike still gets about the same fuel economy on trips as it did stock. If anything, it shows signs of being slightly rich at cruise. My bike does not backfire and my exhaust tips are a bit sooty.

You are correct in that all fuel controllers piggyback on top of the ECU.

My ECU does not have the factory map in it. It has Lloydz map in it, that is optimized for the VM1 cams, and has an improved fuel curve and timing curve over the stock ECU. I run the stock exhaust. In my case, the Green at 3 works.

Apples and Oranges.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2015-04-14 10:48 PM
willtill
Posted 2015-04-15 2:36 PM (#171877 - in reply to #171870)

Visionary

Central Maryland

rdbudd - 2015-04-14 11:25 PM

Comparing the settings someone else has with yours is an apples and oranges comparison, unless they are equipped with EXACTLY the same parts.

My "butt dynoed" bike still gets about the same fuel economy on trips as it did stock. If anything, it shows signs of being slightly rich at cruise. My bike does not backfire and my exhaust tips are a bit sooty.

My ECU does not have the factory map in it. It has Lloydz map in it, that is optimized for the VM1 cams, and has an improved fuel curve and timing curve over the stock ECU. I run the stock exhaust. In my case, the Green at 3 works.

Apples and Oranges.

Ronnie

Yep; that's what I'm looking for. So far Haze Gray is pretty close. So are others I would venture; if they're so inclined to post.

I fully understand Apples and Oranges concept. I understand the need to tune indivudually.  But pease don't attempt to end this thread with a negative expectation of what I am searching for.

Edited by willtill 2015-04-15 2:38 PM
rdbudd
Posted 2015-04-15 9:45 PM (#171893 - in reply to #171877)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
willtill - 2015-04-15 2:36 PM

rdbudd - 2015-04-14 11:25 PM

Apples and Oranges.

Ronnie

Yep; that's what I'm looking for. So far Haze Gray is pretty close. So are others I would venture; if they're so inclined to post.

I fully understand Apples and Oranges concept. I understand the need to tune indivudually.? But pease don't attempt to end this thread with a negative expectation of what I am searching for.

I provided my settings as you asked, and then pointed out that they are useless for your bike because we have different parts combinations, or that it is an "Apples and Oranges" comparison. What works for my bike won't work for your bike. I'm just being realistic. Sorry if that is negative to the expectation of what you are searching for.

Ronnie
Haze_Gray
Posted 2015-04-16 12:37 PM (#171908 - in reply to #171819)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, VA
Here you go. My settings Green 4.5, Yellow 3.5, Red 2, Grn/Blu 0, Yel/Blu 4.5, Red/Blu 2. I don't know what else to tell you. Oh, yeah, My plugs are burning just a tad darker than normal.

Edited by Haze_Gray 2015-04-16 12:41 PM
willtill
Posted 2015-04-16 12:59 PM (#171909 - in reply to #171819)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Thanks Haze Gray.

I am making an appointment with a Dyno tuner in Gaithersburg, Maryland; whom is very familiar with the VFC's. I'll post my settings once I get them dialed in by him.
willtill
Posted 2015-04-16 1:02 PM (#171910 - in reply to #171893)

Visionary

Central Maryland
rdbudd - 2015-04-15 10:45 PM

I provided my settings as you asked, and then pointed out that they are useless for your bike because we have different parts combinations, or that it is an "Apples and Oranges" comparison. What works for my bike won't work for your bike. I'm just being realistic. Sorry if that is negative to the expectation of what you are searching for.

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

No... I understand and thank you for your responses. I just don't want this thread/discussion to die... we all have much to learn about tuning; in all of our different configurations.

rdbudd
Posted 2015-04-17 10:02 AM (#171917 - in reply to #171910)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
willtill - 2015-04-16 1:02 PM

rdbudd - 2015-04-15 10:45 PM

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

No... I understand and thank you for your responses. I just don't want this thread/discussion to die... we all have much to learn about tuning; in all of our different configurations.

Thank you. I just didn't want the reader of this thread to jump to the conclusion that there is some sort of "universal magic setting". I see that kind of nonsense promoted on some other forums. This website is above that.

Ronnie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™