You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

GPS Cable Grommet
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

rmclarty
Posted 2008-10-05 11:16 PM (#19962)
Subject: GPS Cable Grommet

Cruiser

Sugar Land, TX (Outside of Houston)
OK - Got the Victory GPS Mount installed today for the 2720.

There is a rubber grommet on the cable up by the GPS unit plug. Anyone know why it is there? I thought maube it would connect to the mounting bracket but could not figure out where.

Is it meant to plug a hole somewhere I should have run the cable through? Following instructions it just says the cable should run free from the connection up to the GPS.

Richard
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Flatsix
Posted 2008-10-06 8:09 AM (#19976 - in reply to #19962)
Subject: RE: GPS Cable Grommet

Tourer

Fargo, ND

The Grommet must have been inadvertently added at the factory.  Mine does not have one, nor does the cable pass thru anything!

vtwin17
Posted 2008-10-06 4:47 PM (#20021 - in reply to #19962)

Cruiser

Northern RI
No grommet on mine
airguy
Posted 2008-10-06 6:49 PM (#20024 - in reply to #20021)

Cruiser

Hinton, Iowa
Mine has one. And after looking at my friends 10th an vision it would appear that i need to drill another hole in the dash panel whik I will do this winter when I take it apart to paint. Mike
rmclarty
Posted 2008-10-06 7:33 PM (#20026 - in reply to #19962)
Subject: Re: GPS Cable Grommet

Cruiser

That would make sense Airguy. If there was a hole in the instrument panel, it would hide the cord better.

Actually - instead of the Aluminum colored console bezel, there is a black molded panel that adds "Wings" to both sides of the center console (probably to help hide ugly cables). Maybe I will drill a hole in that part just in case I ever wanted to take the Garmin off and use something else. That would keep most of the cable under the center console panel hidden

Richard
rmclarty
Posted 2008-10-11 11:17 AM (#20402 - in reply to #19962)

Cruiser

I broke down and drilled a hole in the aluminum bezel on the console right in-between the GPS Bracket. Had to drill it out several times to get the correct size (would have been nice to know the exact dimensions of the grommett) but the cord is hid nicely in the hollow part of the U Bracket. The rubber grommett plugs the hole perfectly and it looks nice.

Must say - The hardest part (besides drilling into a "Virgin" console) was figuring how to unplug the little GPS to Communications System connection plug. The instructions say to gently lift up on the green latch, but the only way I found to do it was slide a very small flat blade screwdriver tip in from the end to raise it enough to pull the plug apart.

Did I take pictures - No ... and I found myself wishing I had to share. But if your GPS cable has the rubber grommett, rest asured it fits perfectly in the middle of the GPS Bracket and is hidden once you put the GPS mount back on.

Richard
Lotatoys
Posted 2008-10-15 12:56 PM (#20815 - in reply to #19962)

Puddle Jumper

I installed the grommet for my 2820 and took pictures to show how. Instead of going through the posting process again, here's a link to my post on the VOG website: http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_253/
I hope this helps! Take care...
Gary
rmclarty
Posted 2008-10-15 9:52 PM (#20839 - in reply to #19962)

Cruiser

Yep - That's It - Thanks Gary for taking the time to take step by step pictures. Mine looks so much better than the cable hanging over the side of the console.

Richard
ElroyJ
Posted 2008-10-22 4:15 PM (#21341 - in reply to #20815)

Tourer

Centennial, CO
Lotatoys - 2008-10-15 10:56 AM

I installed the grommet for my 2820 and took pictures to show how. Instead of going through the posting process again, here's a link to my post on the VOG website: http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_253/
I hope this helps! Take care...
Gary

DUDE...this is AWESOME! Thanks for the link. I was looking for this and couldn't find it.

When you go to pull the gauge plastic to remove the console...use a painters paint can opener. It is curved on the end and makes the job easier and less prone to a scratch with a screw driver.
wjoel
Posted 2008-10-22 6:19 PM (#21348 - in reply to #19962)

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
Nice job.I'm sure that will help some who want the GPS. I have'nt decided if I want the GPS yet.
I only need my Sirius satellite for now.
rmclarty
Posted 2008-10-30 12:59 PM (#22025 - in reply to #19962)

Cruiser

If you get the Garmin - DO NOT buy it from Victory. $900.00 for something you can get on Ebay refurbished for $150.00 (with a 1 year warranty and the lates Maps and Software already loaded). Then just buy the $100.00 mounting kit from Victory.

I used my Garmin for the first time this weekend on an Arkansas Trip and it was a God send. Especially with it plugging into the Sound System. We got stuck riding back late at night on Monday due to a Valkyrie having a flat and the Voice Interaction speaking directions kept my eyes on the road looking for deer and critters.

I would say that was the best $250.00 worth of items I have put on my Vision so far.

Richard
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™