You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

My Vision weaves back and forth
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

dwhite28
Posted 2008-10-02 8:44 PM (#19651 - in reply to #18985)
Subject: Re: My Vision weaves back and forth

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
I got tired of reading all of the information awhile back. Someone may have already suggested this. The dealer should have a demo bike. Take it for ride while you are there. The only problem i have ever had with the bike was when i was learning to ride a fixed fairing bike again after 20 years and getting his with 40 mph side gusts. After about 20 miles, not a probelm anymore.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gplongworth
Posted 2008-10-03 11:58 AM (#19695 - in reply to #18985)

Puddle Jumper

Milwaukee, WI United States
UPDATE:
I dropped the Vision off last Saturday and have not heard from them all week. I was hoping to pick it up tomorrow (Saturday a week later) since I can't get a lift there before they close during the week. I called them this morning for a status report. The salesman that was going to spend time riding it and the mechanic were not available but the service guy I talked to said that at least one of them had ridden it and reported that it felt squirrelly to them. TheY had put in a call to Polaris and were still waiting on a call back. He said he would put in another call and see if he can get things moving.

In addition to the handling issue and the recall there were a couple of other problems I reported. My right grip was hotter on the low position than it was on the high position, the dealer installed CB was not working and nothing was coming through the intercom system. It seems the call to Polaris also included trying to find out how to fix these issues. If I don't hear from them by this afternoon I will call back for another status report. Looks like another weekend of riding the Valkyrie in stead of the Vision.

Hey Lotzafun, don't apologize for the long post. That's the kind of feedback that is appreciated. I can get kinda long winded myself. Depending on how the bike is when I get it back I will certainly try your suggestions but to be honest in the month I've been riding the bike so far, I have tried relaxing my grip many times even to the point of holding my arms up with my own strength and not "hanging" any weight on the handle bars. This includes riding while just lightly resting my fingers on (or holding them above) the gips. First off, this would be a very tiring position to ride in for very long and second when the bike is acting this way it didn't improve the symptoms. I say "when" it's acting this way because it is worse some times than others. Jeez, I hate intermittent problems. As a matter of fact, on the 45 mile trip to the dealer last Saturday it was barely doing it at all. I was even able to put it on cruise and take my hands completely off and it tracked straight. Hmph! Just like going to the doctor and having the problem go away when they ask you were it hurts <gin>.

As I look back over this thread it seems there are two groups replying. Those who report solid tracking, no weaving, very little buffeting and minimal effect from other vehicle turbulence. In other words a bike with great handling characteristics and fun to ride. And another group who have noticed somewhat the opposite handling attributes (though still fun to ride), but have learned to ride the bike in a way to reduce the weaving or have accepted that it is their riding style and not the bike that is the culprit. So the question remains - is this a case of some bikes having a mechanical defect/adjustment or are all Visions the same and some of us just need behavioral reconditioning and some riding lessons?

Perhaps I'll know more later today if Polaris responds to my dealer. Also, I encourage any of you who are experiencing the weaving to seek out someone who does NOT and see if you can do a comparison test. I'm still looking for someone in the Milwaukee area to try this with. Note to dollarbillwi: My bike is at the dealer in your town. Perhaps when I get it back we can connect before the snow flies.

I'll keep you posted. Until then keep the responses coming. It could be important information for Polaris.

HOW DOES YOUR VISION HANDLE?
victory2002
Posted 2008-10-03 12:08 PM (#19696 - in reply to #18985)

Cruiser

Northeast Pennsylvania
Bottom line.. if the bike is not riding true when you are on flat, level road, with no heavy side winds, there is something wrong with that bike, not your grip or how you clinch your butt while riding. Get the bike fixed, because when its running right you shouldn't have any of those problems. Like others have said..You can take your hands off this bike and it runs true. Good luck and don't except any excuses.
gplongworth
Posted 2008-10-03 4:35 PM (#19724 - in reply to #18985)

Puddle Jumper

QUICK UPDATE:

Thanks for the encouragement victory2002. That is the lesson I learned having gone through this with my Valkyrie. It took me 2 years (and lots of $$$) to find a mechanic that would actually listen to me and fix it right but in the end it was worth it. That is why I am working so hard to determine and document this as a possible problem.

I just got the call from the dealer. The factory had them check the fork bearing torque and it was tighter than the factory spec calls for. So they had the dealer re-torque the front end. They also said the tires where a little on the low side. I had checked the tires right before taking it to the dealer so I was surprised at this. I mentioned that I had used the gauge that came with the bike so they are going to check the gauge for me to see if it is accurate. I'm hoping both of these things contributed to the problem and I'm picking the bike up tomorrow. I'll hold off on further comment until I put some miles on the bike. Then I will report back here.
varyder
Posted 2008-10-04 6:40 AM (#19775 - in reply to #19724)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I've really been thinking on this one for a while. To be sure, yes all torques, air pressure and the such must be checked and given all else is proper and appropriate then rider input is what you concentrate on. One thing that ought to be check on is the engine mount bolts because the engine itself is a frame member. If any of those are loose even ever so slightly then you are on an unstable bike. I would insist that the dealer checks them out as well before you saddle up again. If I feel the slightest inperfection in the ride of the bike, I'm looking for the cause. Fortunetly it is due to some grove or uneven payment that makes me think somethings wrong. I had a tire going flat and instantly I knew it was time to stop NOW and see what was up.

I had a car back into my CB750 in a parking lot years ago, knocked it on its side and bent the kickstand. I called the Honda dealer to have them tow it to the shop to have it checked out because I thought it bent the frame. Funny thing was, it did some minor asthectic damage as well and the next thing I know I have a TOTALLED motorcycle. All that was wrong was the scratches on the bike the aftermarket fairing and the kickstand. I really was thinking they wanted the bike so they could resale and I would take the $2,400 insurance check being that is was one of the most popular bikes of the time for Honda. I decided to take the bike and the $1,800 insurance check and I continued to ride that bike for another 2 years without any problems.

Newfie
Posted 2008-10-04 5:25 PM (#19819 - in reply to #19724)

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
gplongworth - 2008-10-03 2:35 PM

QUICK UPDATE:

.....They also said the tires where a little on the low side. I had checked the tires right before taking it to the dealer so I was surprised at this. I mentioned that I had used the gauge that came with the bike so they are going to check the gauge for me to see if it is accurate.....

gplongworth....I posted this on an earlier thread from back in July.....

One point I would like to add about checking you tire pressure.....be careful if you are using the pressure gauge that came with the bike as your only gauge to check your tires.

I found that mine was reading about 4-5PSI high. When I first received my Vision, I was regularly using the gauge that came with the bike and keeping my tires at 40rear and 38front. When I happened to check them with a digital gauge I had in my wifes car the pressure was about 4-5PSI low in both. I used a third gauge I had in my garage to verify and sure enough the digital gauge was right on the money and the gauge that came with the bike was wrong. I threw mine in the garbage that same day.

It may be just a fluke with the gauge that came with my bike but I thought I would pass this along.

If the gauge that came with your bike had the same problem as the one that came with mine then this certainly may have contributed to your problem.

Hope this helps.
gplongworth
Posted 2008-10-04 11:02 PM (#19839 - in reply to #18985)

Puddle Jumper

FINAL RESULTS:

Picked up the bike today. It's like riding a whole new bike! Confirmed that the front end had to be re-torqued as it was too tight. Also found out that in fact the gauge that came with the bike was reading about 7 PSI high. I like to run closer to the max pressure for the tire and thought I had them a couple of pounds over the suggested psi but in fact they were 4 or 5 pounds under.

I put about 70 miles on it today and it handles great. I didn't do anything but get on and ride like I used to. No trying to have a light touch or over thinking about making corrections - didn't have to. It handled a heavy cross wind like a trooper and it even tracked straight on a road with rain grooves.

So my friends, if you're having any weaving issues go out and find a gauge you can trust and recheck your tire pressure. If you are still having a problem talk to your dealer and have them check your front end as well as the other suggestions that have been make on this thread. You may be in for a great surprise if you think you're having fun riding now. It may get even better.

Thanks for the great responses. This is a great forum and makes me even more proud to be a new Victory rider. I also want to give kudos to Mid-Cities Motorsports in West Bend, WI. A dealer that knows how to listen to their customers and follow through on their word. Thanks go out to Polaris too for working with the dealership.
david.terry
Posted 2008-11-09 11:36 AM (#22908 - in reply to #18985)

Cruiser

Madison, AL
Well to add another log on the fire, I too found that I was over correcting with my driver input. When passing semis I noticed I was bracing myself for the wind blast I knew was comming. I have since changed my riding style and let the bike balance itseslf for the most part. I now pass semis and handle windy days with no problem. It took a few months and a few long rides in windy conditions but now I feel confident in the Vision much more than I did previous rides, Suzuki, Harley, and Honda.

On the weaving issue, I have not noticed that but it may be just that, I didn't notice it. Many things on this forum have enlightned me to things I was not aware of. When I drive to work I often hook up with a buddy and we ride in together. When the bike was new I wanted to show off it's capabiliites and would drive half the time without my hands on the grips. I got to where I could take small curves as well, with no hands. I never noticed the bike weaving....but you have given me a reason to go out and check and put few more miles on the Vision.

I also never noticed the problem with the windshield, but my driving style has me looking over the top of it most of the time. I will probably buy the Cee Baily windshield but not because of distortion but because it is 5 inches wider and offers better wind protection.

So, as many others have stated it is probably best to feel the ride of another Vision, better if it is one in which the current rider states there are no issues with weaving.
jama
Posted 2008-11-09 12:46 PM (#22911 - in reply to #18985)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Where did you see that the Cee Bailey's is 5 inches wider? Better research that some more.
jama
Posted 2008-11-09 3:15 PM (#22916 - in reply to #18985)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Maybe I needed to research more; it seems that the contour from the base is less angled,
making the top of shield wider.
dtoddrship
Posted 2008-11-14 3:59 PM (#23263 - in reply to #18985)

Cruiser

Austin, Texas
I don't really notice too much buffeting. It's most noticable on the interstate, of course, but not as bad as earlier bikes. The wife, however, cannot stand the buffeting around the trucks even though the windshield is all the way up and the vents are out. I think that is part reality and part fear of big trucks.

Regardless, my Vision will track fairly straight and true on cruise if I put my sidearm in the right side and the extra clips on the left. Life is all about balance.
Wizard523
Posted 2008-11-14 5:57 PM (#23272 - in reply to #22911)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
jama - 2008-11-09 9:46 AM

Where did you see that the Cee Bailey's is 5 inches wider? Better research that some more.

I reported in another forum that I recently bought a Cee Bailey's (22") and when both windshields were off the bike, I put the Cee Bailey's over the top of the tall Vision windshield (aligned the mounting holes), and it was 2 3/4" taller, and 5" wider (2 1/2" on each side) than the Vision. I have not noticed any differences in the bike's handling, and that includes driving in many conditions including solo, 2 up, high winds, and at speeds just a bit north of 90 mph.
jama
Posted 2008-11-14 6:51 PM (#23275 - in reply to #18985)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Thanks Wizard, I thinkI'll be ordering the Cee Baileys soon.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™