You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

2008 Vision tour Premium PLEASE HELP
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

matt6210
Posted 2015-03-03 9:17 PM (#170059)
Subject: 2008 Vision tour Premium PLEASE HELP

Puddle Jumper

So just bought a 2008 Victory Vision from a Cadillac Dealer in WA State. They nor I knew exactly what version to the tour it was but from reading many blogs I am asuming it is a Victory Vision Premium Comfort. The reason I believe this is because the badges on the side light up and chrom engine gaurds and handle bars is that a right assumption.

I am used to riding HD Softail and this is a monster compared to my other bike. I find it really hard to control at slow speed turning in parking lots and stopping is kinda tricky with the riders pegs down because I keep getting hit by them. I am a very short guy 5'7' so it is a very big bike for me but drives awsome down the highway. Anyways I have a 2005 HD Softail as well with a few add ons like stage one stuff V&H exhaust K&N intake power commander and it of course is super loud. The vision on the other hand is loud from engine noise and shifing gears seems to really clunk when I but it in gear. but clutch seems to engage very easily and helps with manuevering. So i wanted to upgrade exhaust and have been looking all over the sites. Here is what I have actually come to find out after speaking to Victory Dealer. I explained to them I do not have heat shields like stock pipes the ones I have are full chrome slip ons and I could not find them anywhere on the internet. I described them and told them they say Victory Performance on them and he said that my bike must have had a stage 1-2 done to it if I have those pipes unless someone bought them off of someone and installed them theirselves and never had CPU flashed. ?????? Is there anyway to find out without spending hundreds in service and having it hooked up to a computer ???
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lstayner
Posted 2015-03-03 9:37 PM (#170060 - in reply to #170059)
Subject: RE: 2008 Vision tour Premium PLEASE HELP

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
I can't help you on the model or which pipe you have. You might see if the previous owner added a fuel processor. If they did you should be fine. I also think that the bike wouldn't run all that well if a flash wasn't performed.

As far as handling goes, put some time in at a parking lot. Use the rear brake and don't waste your time feathering the clutch. Trust the bike, it will handle very well at low speeds once you get used to it. If you haven't watched a Ride Like a Pro DVD, I would recommend you consider it. Leave the trunk empty for awhile. It is high enough that it will make the bike top heavy and it sounds like you are slightly vertically challenged. Make sure you have the air set in the rear shock too. DO not use an air compressor on the shock. It will be an expensive lesson.

By the way, congrats on your purchase. Once you get used to the bike you will be hooked. The most dependable bike I have owned.
matt6210
Posted 2015-03-03 9:49 PM (#170061 - in reply to #170060)

Puddle Jumper

lstayner

thanks for help yes vertically challenged I am I havent messed with rear air yet maybe it will help.

I couldnt pass it up great deal 8200 bucks and it runs great.

v/r

Matt
Savage1
Posted 2015-03-04 12:41 AM (#170062 - in reply to #170059)
Subject: Re: 2008 Vision tour Premium PLEASE HELP

Puddle Jumper

Congrats on your Vision.

I'm 5'7'' and for a big dunger they handle great, you just have to learn to trust the bike.

If it was mine I wouldn't touch a thing on it until you have put on a few thousand miles, then you should have a better idea of what you need.

I have had my upholsterer cut down the seat (now I'm sitting in the bike) take the top box off for better handling and stability, and I'd leave the pipes stock, the last thing I want on my bikes and particularly a distance machine like the VV is fucking loud pipes banging away mile after mile, no make that any bike.

Enjoy your VV there a great thing..
Nozzledog
Posted 2015-03-04 12:47 AM (#170063 - in reply to #170059)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Congrats on the "new to you" bike.
Handling will come with time in the saddle. I am more comfortable in parking lots now then I ever was on my Harley Ultra Classic, but then again, I have a Ness Vision with a 24.5" seat height. There are very inexpensive shock links that let you drop the bike 1" to 3" very easily. One on ebay is even adjustable. If you go more than an inch, you do run a risk of hitting the inside of the saddlebags (There's a Ness part for that too).
Advise - Keep the rear passenger platforms down always! They give you a slight warning when your leg hits them before you get sucked under the tipovers. Everyone here has done it, but it doesn't take long to learn to pick your feet up when you take off instead of the slow roll out.
It does sound like you have the Stage 2 pipes. No easy way of knowing if the ECU was flashed also. Most people buy a fuel controller instead of paying all that money for a ECU flash. If you don't have one, get one, then you don't have to ever wonder about it again.
matt6210
Posted 2015-03-04 3:19 AM (#170064 - in reply to #170062)

Puddle Jumper

Savage1,

Thanks for the advise I am looking forward to logging some miles in good weather moving from WA to AZ..

good Idea with the seat infact the guy who owned bike before me was a monster according to the cadillac dealer. He told me the guy was like 6' 5" 300 lbs. I believe hime because the seat stitching was torn. So I guess when I am getting that fixed I will ask them to drop it down a little bit. I also got some advise to look at air ride to see how much pressure, I am am only 180 lbs so I am sure the other guy had it set pretty high if he was as big as they say he was.

v/r
Matt
matt6210
Posted 2015-03-04 3:24 AM (#170065 - in reply to #170063)

Puddle Jumper

matt6210
Posted 2015-03-03 9:17 PM (#170059)
Subject: 2008 Vision tour Premium PLEASE HELP

New user

So just bought a 2008 Victory Vision from a Cadillac Dealer in WA State. They nor I knew exactly what version to the tour it was but from reading many blogs I am asuming it is a Victory Vision Premium Comfort. The reason I believe this is because the badges on the side light up and chrom engine gaurds and handle bars is that a right assumption.

I am used to riding HD Softail and this is a monster compared to my other bike. I find it really hard to control at slow speed turning in parking lots and stopping is kinda tricky with the riders pegs down because I keep getting hit by them. I am a very short guy 5'7' so it is a very big bike for me but drives awsome down the highway. Anyways I have a 2005 HD Softail as well with a few add ons like stage one stuff V&H exhaust K&N intake power commander and it of course is super loud. The vision on the other hand is loud from engine noise and shifing gears seems to really clunk when I but it in gear. but clutch seems to engage very easily and helps with manuevering. So i wanted to upgrade exhaust and have been looking all over the sites. Here is what I have actually come to find out after speaking to Victory Dealer. I explained to them I do not have heat shields like stock pipes the ones I have are full chrome slip ons and I could not find them anywhere on the internet. I described them and told them they say Victory Performance on them and he said that my bike must have had a stage 1-2 done to it if I have those pipes unless someone bought them off of someone and installed them theirselves and never had CPU flashed. ?????? Is there anyway to find out without spending hundreds in service and having it hooked up to a computer ???

lstayner
Posted 2015-03-03 9:37 PM (#170060 - in reply to #170059)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States I can't help you on the model or which pipe you have. You might see if the previous owner added a fuel processor. If they did you should be fine. I also think that the bike wouldn't run all that well if a flash wasn't performed.

As far as handling goes, put some time in at a parking lot. Use the rear brake and don't waste your time feathering the clutch. Trust the bike, it will handle very well at low speeds once you get used to it. If you haven't watched a Ride Like a Pro DVD, I would recommend you consider it. Leave the trunk empty for awhile. It is high enough that it will make the bike top heavy and it sounds like you are slightly vertically challenged. Make sure you have the air set in the rear shock too. DO not use an air compressor on the shock. It will be an expensive lesson.

By the way, congrats on your purchase. Once you get used to the bike you will be hooked. The most dependable bike I have owned.
-----
ATGATT - Because walking away in disgust is better than riding away in an ambulance

Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

2011 Pearl White Vision - 71K
2010 Goldwing - 26K traded
2007 Star 1300 - 35K Sold

matt6210
Posted 2015-03-03 9:49 PM (#170061 - in reply to #170060)

New user

lstayner

thanks for help yes vertically challenged I am I havent messed with rear air yet maybe it will help.

I couldnt pass it up great deal 8200 bucks and it runs great.

v/r

Matt

Savage1
Posted 2015-03-04 12:41 AM (#170062 - in reply to #170059)

Puddle Jumper

Congrats on your Vision.

I'm 5'7'' and for a big dunger they handle great, you just have to learn to trust the bike.

If it was mine I wouldn't touch a thing on it until you have put on a few thousand miles, then you should have a better idea of what you need.

I have had my upholsterer cut down the seat (now I'm sitting in the bike) take the top box off for better handling and stability, and I'd leave the pipes stock, the last thing I want on my bikes and particularly a distance machine like the VV is fucking loud pipes banging away mile after mile, no make that any bike.

Enjoy your VV there a great thing..

Nozzledog

I will look for a fuel controller to see if it has allready been installed, and sounds like I could lower bike a bit and that will help greatly. If there isnt a fuel control and computer was flashed do you think adding a fuel controller will mess things up or does it need to be converted back to a stock setting first?
v/r
Matt
willtill
Posted 2015-03-04 5:13 AM (#170066 - in reply to #170059)

Visionary

Central Maryland
So i wanted to upgrade exhaust and have been looking all over the sites. Here is what I have actually come to find out after speaking to Victory Dealer. I explained to them I do not have heat shields like stock pipes the ones I have are full chrome slip ons and I could not find them anywhere on the internet. I described them and told them they say Victory Performance on them and he said that my bike must have had a stage 1-2 done to it if I have those pipes unless someone bought them off of someone and installed them theirselves and never had CPU flashed. ?????? Is there anyway to find out without spending hundreds in service and having it hooked up to a computer ???

If only the S1L2's were installed, you need not worry about a reflash. However, if the performance filter was installed (which should have been if the complete S1L2 package was installed) then the reflash should have been done. The reflash should have been a free upgrade (comes with the S1L2 package)... I know because I installed the S1L2 package myself... but I did not do the reflash since I installed a Dobeck Fuel controller; in addition to a top Lloydz air filter.

Look up under your front headlight and see if the air filter is either paper or wire mesh. If it is wire mesh, you have the performance filter.

Also, how does your bike currently run? Does it pull well? Does it backfire? What do the plugs look like? Are they white (too lean) or a nice gray, or grayish brown? Are your pipes sooty? This will help you determine if the bike is tuned correctly; without going to the dealer for an ECM check, or a Dyno to read your A/F.

If you go with a Fuel controller, your ECM should be set back to stock fueling. Only the dealer can do that.

Edited by willtill 2015-03-04 5:21 AM
rdbudd
Posted 2015-03-04 9:42 AM (#170067 - in reply to #170059)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Congratulations on your new bike. You are going to love it once you get used to it.

I am only 5' 5" tall with a 28" inseam and the Vision is one of the easiest handling big bikes I've ever owned--far easier than the Goldwing I used to have (except for the reverse thing).

Since the previous owner was a 300 pound tall guy, you need to check the air pressure in the rear shock. There is a chart inside the saddlebag next to the fill valve. Set the pressure for your weight.

Check the pressure in the tires. If you are running the Dunlops, I would suggest you set the front tire at 40 PSI and the rear at 42 PSI cold. This will improve handling and tire wear. The bike will balance very well right up to the point of coming to a complete stop. So well that I often do not even put my feet down at stop signs if it is a quick stop, or I keep my feet up as I roll slowly up to a light. Trust the bike.

The Vision likes a light touch. Trust the bike.

It sounds like you may already have the Stage 2 exhaust. If long trips are in your future (they are) I would not be in a hurry to change that for a louder system.

Ronnie
YENRABSRIDE
Posted 2015-03-04 12:27 PM (#170070 - in reply to #170059)

Cruiser

CASTRO VALLEY, CA United States
Matt, you better start doing some squats so you can keep the Vision vertical. Just kidding.
As others have said, the Vision is pretty well balance and it's just a matter of getting use to the heft of it. Since you plan on a trip from WA to AZ, I would suggest you make a stop at Corbin Motorcycle Seats in Hollister, CA. They can custom fit a seat for you while you wait.

http://corbin.com/

Edited by YENRABSRIDE 2015-03-04 12:30 PM
okie vision
Posted 2015-03-04 4:57 PM (#170077 - in reply to #170059)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Congratulations on your Vision!

and again, PICK UP your feet when taking off, LOL
DaleS
Posted 2015-03-04 7:01 PM (#170080 - in reply to #170059)

Puddle Jumper

Loveland, CO United States
Hi, Matt. Welcome to the forum and I hope you have a lot of pleasures riding your bike.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-03-05 6:09 PM (#170092 - in reply to #170059)

Visionary

your lucky vision have linked breaks. The worst information you can give a motorcycle is use the rear break.
If you don't have ABS or Link breaks using the rear break will lock up and you go into crash skid
matt6210
Posted 2015-03-05 11:58 PM (#170095 - in reply to #170066)

Puddle Jumper

willtill

I looked up under the light and looks like a K&N still wire mess filter, looked at the back of the tail pipe and looks a little sooty. bike pulls hard and I don't get any backfiring. Are the tail pipes supposed to be sooty??

I know it pulls hard because the other day I pulled out and a car swapped lanes on me so i hammered it and the rear end felt like it came out and sideways.

thanks for all the great help

Matt
matt6210
Posted 2015-03-05 11:58 PM (#170096 - in reply to #170066)

Puddle Jumper

willtill

I looked up under the light and looks like a K&N still wire mess filter, looked at the back of the tail pipe and looks a little sooty. bike pulls hard and I don't get any backfiring. Are the tail pipes supposed to be sooty??

I know it pulls hard because the other day I pulled out and a car swapped lanes on me so i hammered it and the rear end felt like it came out and sideways.

Matt
willtill
Posted 2015-03-06 6:39 AM (#170097 - in reply to #170096)

Visionary

Central Maryland
matt6210 - 2015-03-06 12:58 AM

willtill

Matt

From the reported performance of your bike; generally sounds like you either have had the ECM flash done previously; or there still is a (yet to be found) fuel controller in your bike.

My pipes are sooty as well.

Quick check to determine if you have a fuel controller; look at the top of the heads. There should only be one wire for the injector plug for each one. If it looks like you've got another wire spliced in with an additional connector for each one; you have a fuel controller installed.

olekneedragger
Posted 2015-03-06 10:25 PM (#170103 - in reply to #170070)

Puddle Jumper

YENRABSRIDE - 2015-03-04 12:27 PM

Matt, you better start doing some squats so you can keep the Vision vertical. Just kidding.
As others have said, the Vision is pretty well balance and it's just a matter of getting use to the heft of it. Since you plan on a trip from WA to AZ, I would suggest you make a stop at Corbin Motorcycle Seats in Hollister, CA. They can custom fit a seat for you while you wait.

http://corbin.com/

To each his own and if you like horse saddles and Brooks bike saddles you may also like Corbin seats. I can not stand Corbin seats because they are as hard and comfortable as an oaken plank, heavy as an anvil and need at least a decade or two to break in properly. Rich's Custom Seats is located in Washington, Russell Day Long is located in Northern, California, Rick Meyer is located in North Central California, Bill Meyer (Rocky) is located in Southern California and my personal favorite Kontour seats is located in Tucson, Arizona. Each of the seats is going to cost you a small fortune (perhaps $800 on the low end to about $1,100 on the high end) on a Vision with Rick Meyer's seats probably coming in the cheapest for doing both the rider and the pillion. The stock seat on a Vision is passable, but if you want to do the big miles and get your Saddlesore 1000 or BunBurner 1500 certifications, you need something that isn't going to put your butt to sleep after only 45 minutes. I have experience with Corbin, Sargent, Bill Meyer, Rick Meyer and Kontour. I chose the Kontour because I live in a hot climate and the fabric Ron Miller uses tends to stay a little cooler than either leather or vinyl. You know your own butt and your budget. Spend accordingly.
rainryder II
Posted 2015-03-10 12:00 PM (#170149 - in reply to #170059)

Cruiser

I saw that blue/gray beauty on the internet while looking, but bought the mislabeled 8 Ball out of TX instead. It looked good. If I bought yor bike instead, I'd have gone up there and picked it up and would be enjoying all this 60 degree weather we're having while the rest of the country freezes. Record snow in DFW has kept my new rig from being delivered, and now the weather looks like it's giong to get normal, so I guess any riding for me will have to wait till July 5th when the sun comes out again so it doesn't really matter now how long it takes those guys to ship the thing. Congrats on your new tourer, I;m jealous. When the rest ofthe world finds out how reliable these things are, the prices won't be so reasonable anymore.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™