You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Rear brakes failed....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

rlreed
Posted 2014-10-19 8:18 PM (#167378)
Subject: Rear brakes failed....

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
Today my GF and I were riding back roads down around Clermont, a hilly area with lots of twisties for Florida. I came up to a red light and when I attempted to stop I had no rear brakes. I blew the intersection, thankfully no one was there and it wasn't one of their intersections with red light cameras... I got stopped using the front brakes and with a little playing around I found if I rapidly pumped the rear brake they would temporarily pump up so I was able to gingerly ride it home and get it parked.. It feels like the master cylinder is leaking pressure. I vaguely remember someone else with this problem but can't find the post. Had this happened in the mountains or in traffic this would not have had a happy ending.. Believe it or not this is the second Vision that has about killed me. My 08 stalled in heavy traffic in 09 coming out of Daytona during bike week causing a two car accident.... I sold that one and last year thought I'd give one a try again as I really like the bike but this is it, as soon as I get this think fixed it'll be for sale. I'm going back to Yamaha were I've always had good luck..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
IndyVision
Posted 2014-10-19 8:38 PM (#167379 - in reply to #167378)
Subject: Re: Rear brakes failed....

Tourer

I have an 08 with over 67500 miles on it. I've had rear brake problems for the past 300 miles or so. I've had the brakes bled twice. I lost my rear brakes again after the 2nd bleeding. An extremely knowledgeable person on this site, Kevin X, I think, said the small flexible line from the brake caliber to the brake line may be leaking. I took my bike back to the dealer for the 3rd time to have it fixed. My understanding is this can be an issue with early Visions.
RedRider
Posted 2014-10-20 4:28 AM (#167386 - in reply to #167378)

Visionary

I am confused. Why did you have to blow through the light if your front brakes worked? After Pete getting on me for using my rear brakes and going down about the only time I use my rear brakes is to hold the bike on a hill.
I had spongy rear brake pedal and took her to Kyle. He bled the rear brakes and all has been fine. He told me it took him about a day to figure out the proper procedure to bleed.
rlreed
Posted 2014-10-20 7:42 AM (#167389 - in reply to #167378)

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
My Vision is a 12 with only 12,000 miles. The red light changed on me and if I had grabbed the front brake at that speed I'm quite sure it would have thrown us down. I have many years motorcycle experience and 138,000 miles on my last Yamaha Venture... The rear master cylinder is full so its not leaking and the brake pads are worn but not excessive. The bike just came back from the dealer with electrical problems and its 120 miles round trip to drop it off and another 120 miles round trip to pick it up.. Quite the pita... Wednesday I'll get a lift and take a look at it, right now I'm not in the mood.....
willtill
Posted 2014-10-20 9:10 AM (#167390 - in reply to #167378)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Not going to stand in judgement of you; because I was not there in your saddle; but grabbing a handful of front brake is always better than relying on the rear; you know 70 percent of your stopping power is with the front.

However, I also still have a tendency (it's a hard habit to break) to stomp on my rear when I should be grabbing my front, in abrupt braking situations.

Glad you and G/F are still safe; hope you get is sorted with the dealer and let us know.

Bashcars
Posted 2014-10-20 12:35 PM (#167393 - in reply to #167378)

Cruiser

Katy, TX United States
I just got back from a 2400 mile trip to CMA's Changing of the Colors Rally. Less than half the way to Mena, AR (from Katy, TX) I lost the rear brake (pedal went all the way down with no braking). I rode the rest of the way there with just the front brake. A little nerve racking. The next day I discovered the rear reservoir was empty. Fortunately an AutoZone was next to the Hotel. Bought a brake bleeder and DOT 4 fluid. Filled/bled the system and discovered a leak at the line connection to the caliper. Tightened the bolt and no more leak.
varyder
Posted 2014-10-20 4:07 PM (#167396 - in reply to #167378)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
not bashing, but this is a reminder for all of us to do a good look over the bike before spinning the wheels.... glad you okay...

(I had a rear brake pad drop out and I didn't know it until I was coming to a stop sign on the end of an exit ramp. Fortunately the front brake worked well, as it should)
rf43mn
Posted 2014-10-21 1:02 PM (#167408 - in reply to #167378)
Subject: RE: Rear brakes failed....

Cruiser

Willmar, MN
I had the same thing happen, one stop light the brake was there, the next it wasn't. I bled the brakes when I got home and there was a lot of air but but a full master cylinder. We went for a ride a few weeks later and the same thing happened. Good brakes at one stop light, none at the next...we're talking 2 blocks. No difference with pumping...nothing there. Again, full master cylinder. I couldn't find a trace of leaking anywhere so I ordered a new master cylinder and a new rear brake line and put those in...works great now. I have an 08 with 56,000 on it.
rlreed
Posted 2014-10-21 4:31 PM (#167411 - in reply to #167378)

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
I finally took the time to check the bike. Rear master cylinder looks fine, plenty of fluid. I bled the front bleeder screw and some air came out and the rear brake pumped up. No sign of leak anywhere. Now what do you do??? Hope like hell it doesn't happen in an emergency braking situation....
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-10-21 6:27 PM (#167414 - in reply to #167378)

Visionary

It happened to me once two years ago. Haven't had a problem since.
Try rear break before leaving garage. Am sure it wouldn't happen in the middle of ride.

Here is a MUST tip ALWAYS ride with your first two fingers on your right hand resting on the brake lever. It will add 20 seconds on to your life.
You still have two fingers and a thumb on the grip
rf43mn
Posted 2014-10-21 8:39 PM (#167417 - in reply to #167414)

Cruiser

Willmar, MN
Mine happened in the middle of a ride both times. One stop light great brakes 2 blocks later nothing.
Wedge
Posted 2014-10-21 11:05 PM (#167419 - in reply to #167378)

Cruiser

Just to add to the conversation, last March I attended the Street Masters Cornering workshop at the Horse Thief Mile in Palmdale Ca. One of the paddock exercises was emergency braking. The instructor kept after me telling me there was still more front brake I could grab. I was finally able to get into the ABS and the bike never thought about tipping over, just going straight while braking. A few weeks ago I attended again, this time with my wife. Again, during the braking exercise, this time 2 up, the bike never waivered under hard front braking. Just stopped straight. I was impressed.
Turk
Posted 2014-10-22 11:03 AM (#167428 - in reply to #167378)
Subject: RE: Rear brakes failed....

Iron Butt

Wow, just wow. The rear brake is NOT your main source for bringing your motorcycle to a quick stop, your FRONT brake does that MUCH better than the rear. The rear is used for supplemental braking and feathering at low speed maneuvers. I can't believe there are folks riding who don't realize that, just like cars, the front brakes are designed to do the majority of the stopping. The weight transfer plants far more weight, and subsequently, friction on the front wheel than you will ever get from the rear. And with your '12, and it's ABS, there is no worry about locking the wheel up and sliding out. What you may not realize, is that the rear pedal is linked to the front, so indeed you have been using it, but not as much as you should be. There are two rotors up front, and one in the rear... your front tire provides up to 90% of your stopping power, period!

On a side note, anyone here still think they are leaning their bikes with body weight shifting?

Edited by Turk 2014-10-22 11:17 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™