You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

LIFT FOR VISION
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

tom
Posted 2008-09-15 8:23 PM (#18111)
Subject: LIFT FOR VISION

Cruiser

whats everyone using for a lift ? the cheap harley type lift is not very stable . any suggestions. tom
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Carolina Tom
Posted 2008-09-16 8:21 PM (#18176 - in reply to #18111)
Subject: Re: LIFT FOR VISION

Cruiser

Lexington, North Carolina
Tom, there's some discussion about lifts in a thread on the General Discussion forum
Vision Tools
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1831&pos...
cjnoho
Posted 2008-09-16 8:40 PM (#18178 - in reply to #18111)

Visionary

So Cal
Check "Vision mods from across the pond" Part 2 has a picture of blocks of wood modified to fit.
Lotzafun
Posted 2008-09-17 3:32 PM (#18223 - in reply to #18111)
Subject: RE: LIFT FOR VISION

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

Toss my worthless two cents in here-

I swear by Pitbull lifts.

Bit long, but let me tell you why...

Years ago I went thru some lifts. Due to size the only option was a jack style lift rather than a full size drive-on lift. Started out with a cheap Harbor Frieght model, way to flimsy, would have a hard time holding a kids dirtbike. Took it back and purchased the next best model they had, much sturdier, however still pretty tipsy-turvy, even with the bike strapped down. Then I decided to do a bit of research and went out and purchased a Stinger brand lift, much more sturdier than the Harbor Frieght models, especially with the bike strapped down. But still not quite sturdy enough though, if the bike wasn't positioned on the lift almost perfectly it would still be a bit tipsy.

Then I went to a bike show in Chicago. Came across a booth where they were selling lifts. They had a Harley Ultra up on a lift, nice and high. The sales guy was ratlling off words faster than the human ear can listen. Then the salesman mounted the Ultra. I'm thinking "this should be good, the fricken idiot is gonna tip over" and...much to my amazement...the bike didn't move at all, not even a flinch. I was fairly impressed with this stunt. Next thing I know he has one of his fellow salespeople mount the Ultra and stand on the floorboard. Again, ZERO movement. By now I'm changing from fairly impressed to pretty amazed. And then comes the "but wait, theres more" moment. He has another salesperson mount the Ultra and stand on the other floorboard. Now...finally...the bike moved...about 1/4" or so. And now get this...all three salespeople started bouncing around a bit. And the bike moved some more, now up to about 1/2" of movement...if that. Oh, all of this these stunts were performed WITHOUT the bike strapped down at all whatsoever. Well needless to say...I changed from pretty amazed over to HOLY FRICKEN CRAP I GOTTA HAVE THIS LIFT !!!!

It ran about $390 or so. And since then I have had 100% zero qualms about mounting any of my bikes or friends bikes on it. It has performed flawlessly. Not even a quiver of movement whatsoever. And trust me...it has had some heavy bikes on it. And we've done some major wrenching on these bikes.

The way I look at it is why attempt to save money on something you are going to trust with a major investment?

And before you wonder. I have zero investment in the company that makes Pitbull lifts. I could care less if you ever buy one or not.

They are available at http://www.pitbullmotorcyclelifts.com/

You can purchase solely on my gleaming perhaps over the top review or do your own research and see what you want to go with
DesertJim
Posted 2008-09-17 11:01 PM (#18252 - in reply to #18223)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
Lotzafun - 2008-09-17 1:32 PM

Years ago I went thru some lifts. Due to size the only option was a jack style lift rather than a full size drive-on lift. Started out with a cheap Harbor Frieght model, way to flimsy, would have a hard time holding a kids dirtbike. Took it back and purchased the next best model they had, much sturdier, however still pretty tipsy-turvy, even with the bike strapped down. Then I decided to do a bit of research and went out and purchased a Stinger brand lift, much more sturdier than the Harbor Frieght models, especially with the bike strapped down. But still not quite sturdy enough though, if the bike wasn't positioned on the lift almost perfectly it would still be a bit tipsy.

Then I went to a bike show in Chicago. Came across a booth where they were selling lifts. They had a Harley Ultra up on a lift, nice and high. The sales guy was ratlling off words faster than the human ear can listen. Then the salesman mounted the Ultra. I'm thinking "this should be good, the fricken idiot is gonna tip over" and...much to my amazement...the bike didn't move at all, not even a flinch. I was fairly impressed with this stunt. Next thing I know he has one of his fellow salespeople mount the Ultra and stand on the floorboard. Again, ZERO movement. By now I'm changing from fairly impressed to pretty amazed. And then comes the "but wait, theres more" moment. He has another salesperson mount the Ultra and stand on the other floorboard. Now...finally...the bike moved...about 1/4" or so. And now get this...all three salespeople started bouncing around a bit. And the bike moved some more, now up to about 1/2" of movement...if that. Oh, all of this these stunts were performed WITHOUT the bike strapped down at all whatsoever. Well needless to say...I changed from pretty amazed over to HOLY FRICKEN CRAP I GOTTA HAVE THIS LIFT !!!!

It ran about $390 or so. And since then I have had 100% zero qualms about mounting any of my bikes or friends bikes on it. It has performed flawlessly. Not even a quiver of movement whatsoever. And trust me...it has had some heavy bikes on it. And we've done some major wrenching on these bikes.

The way I look at it is why attempt to save money on something you are going to trust with a major investment?

And before you wonder. I have zero investment in the company that makes Pitbull lifts. I could care less if you ever buy one or not.

You can purchase solely on my gleaming perhaps over the top review or do your own research and see what you want to go with

Looks amazing as you have said and on the Video, but, how does it stay so stable. It would appear you could just push it off the lift, let alone stand on the floorboard or mount the cycle without it fallin off -
jama
Posted 2008-09-17 11:39 PM (#18253 - in reply to #18111)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Lotzafun, How do you adapt the lift to the raised seam on bottom of engine case? Surely it wobbles on this unless you modify something.
Len Rhymes
Posted 2008-09-19 3:12 PM (#18335 - in reply to #18253)

Jacksonville Florida
Take a look at Standard lift and Equipment Inc. 1000 Lb. lift with drop out panel and front wheel clamp $634.00 Scissor jack option $85. The 1500 Lb. lift is $899.00 I'm buying the 1000 Lb unit.
VaParadox
Posted 2008-11-02 6:37 PM (#22305 - in reply to #18111)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
I went another route for my lift. I went to my dealer and got him to price for me the same lifts that they use in their service dept. For 1200.00 I can drive my bike right up onto the lift, turn the wheel chock to lock it in, then press a button and up she goes. When im done working on the bike, I let out the air pressure it slowly goes back down to the ground and i back the bike off the ramp. Some of you might be thinking that 1200.oo is more then you want to pay for a lift, but when I tell you it makes an awesome adjustable work table, I can service the lawn mower, and pretty much any other mechanical device a "non back strain" level, for me, its worth it.
When its not in use, its on wheels and it wheels out of the way in the garage.. Definately worth it and i never have to worry that any of my bikes weigh too much or will fall off a lift that is too narrow or made from too many pieces parts.
Flatsix
Posted 2008-11-02 9:12 PM (#22316 - in reply to #18111)

Tourer

Fargo, ND

I have had this lift for a few years now.  I am really happy with it as I can get whatever I am working on (or cleaning) right to the optimum height...slide my stool into position and get busy.  Like I say it works great for service work and cleaning!  When done, just lower it down and park my pickup right over the top of it.

010.jpg picture by FlatsixV2

Web Mobile
Posted 2008-11-07 1:44 AM (#22720 - in reply to #18111)

Cruiser

Island Lake, Alberta, Canada
Shop Skyhook & MT bench.
Wizard523
Posted 2008-11-07 3:54 PM (#22781 - in reply to #18223)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
Lotzafun - 2008-09-17 12:32 PM

Just so you know, I sent an email to Pit Bull requesting information regarding the suitability of their lifts for use with the Vision. They replied (in about an hour!), and stated that their lifts are NOT made for the Vision. Their quote: " Thank you for your interest in our lifts. Unfortunately, due to the way the frame and underside of the victory Vision, we are unable to lift it at this time."
vic2004-08
Posted 2008-11-07 4:34 PM (#22785 - in reply to #18111)

Cruiser

Lusby,Md
I use the Pitbull on my Vision and my T/C and it lifts both bikes just fine with the adaptors that came with the lift,no problems.
Wizard523
Posted 2008-11-07 5:13 PM (#22787 - in reply to #18111)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
Interesting. I wonder why they say it won't work.
Lotzafun
Posted 2008-11-07 6:32 PM (#22795 - in reply to #18111)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

Ok......these pictures should end the Vision on a Pit Bull quandry.

Is it "wobbly"? Not really. However if I was going to some fairly major work I will strap it down. I have mounted my Vision unstrapped on this lift and it does have a bit of a wobble. If I strapped it down I would have no issue bouncing around on it. BTW...I'm 6'4" and about 330lbs prior to a visit to the toilet.

Could an adapter be made to help eliminate any wobble? Yes, it would take about 15 minutes to figure something out. And I would probably still strap it down prior to getting too agressive with it.

Why does Pit Bull not yet recommend thier lift for the Vision. Heck, I don't really know. Maybe they haven't had the chance to test a Vision on thier lifts yet? Anyone live in the Springville TN area and can stop by thier shop and loan them a Vision for a bit so they can test it out?

Vic2008-08...what adapters are you mentioning? Any chance you have a picture or two?

Edited by Lotzafun 2008-11-07 6:54 PM

(MVC-003S.JPG)

(MVC-002S.JPG)

(MVC-001S.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MVC-003S.JPG (39KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments MVC-002S.JPG (38KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments MVC-001S.JPG (39KB - 0 downloads)
Wizard523
Posted 2008-11-07 7:20 PM (#22796 - in reply to #22795)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
Lotzafun - 2008-11-07 3:32 PM

Ok......these pictures should end the Vision on a Pit Bull quandry.

Is it "wobbly"? Not really. However if I was going to some fairly major work I will strap it down. I have mounted my Vision unstrapped on this lift and it does have a bit of a wobble. If I strapped it down I would have no issue bouncing around on it. BTW...I'm 6'4" and about 330lbs prior to a visit to the toilet.

Could an adapter be made to help eliminate any wobble? Yes, it would take about 15 minutes to figure something out. And I would probably still strap it down prior to getting too agressive with it.

Why does Pit Bull not yet recommend thier lift for the Vision. Heck, I don't really know. Maybe they haven't had the chance to test a Vision on thier lifts yet? Anyone live in the Springville TN area and can stop by thier shop and loan them a Vision for a bit so they can test it out?

Vic2008-08...what adapters are you mentioning? Any chance you have a picture or two?

That works for me! Thanks for the pics, it really helps get the idea of just what is happening.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-11-08 11:29 AM (#22848 - in reply to #22796)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
The Sear Craftsman lift is similiar, they also have straps to secure the bike to the lift if you want.

(100_0292.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_0292.jpg (59KB - 0 downloads)
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-11-08 12:34 PM (#22859 - in reply to #18111)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I also have the Sears heavier duty motorcycle lift and it works well. It's in my gallery under 5150 pics. I think it's rated for 1500lbs.
Then again, I'm a Crafstman slut! Mostly because I can find a Sears when I need one. Vision Tex: Have you tried using the straps on your lift yet? If so, where did you hook them?

Edited by bigwill5150 2008-11-08 12:40 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2008-11-08 3:54 PM (#22869 - in reply to #22859)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Have never used the straps on the Vision, used them once on my Kingpin in the past.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™