You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Lower Wind Deflector Question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Savage1
Posted 2014-09-20 7:54 PM (#165975)
Subject: Lower Wind Deflector Question

Puddle Jumper

Gday,

I have a new set of Lower Wind Deflectors sitting in the shed, and a set of Cycleopps Billet Wings on the way (just ordered with the discount Will is offering).

I have been putting off installing them as I really only need them for our summer heat here in Aussie which is now approaching.

My question is, has any one had any issues with the Mounting hardware letting go if it has been installed correctly and according to the directions ie.

using correct temprature and curing time.

I have read most of the threads on the lowers and see that some drill and bolt them on but I'd prefer not to drill my panels if I dont need to.

Thanks for any feedback......
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2014-09-20 8:45 PM (#165976 - in reply to #165975)
Subject: Re: Lower Wind Deflector Question

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Savage, welcome aboard. I'm the last one to be responding first, because I do not have the uppers or the lowers install. Most likely I never will, but, if, I was to install, I would install with bolts. Here's my reason; maybe not the first year, or the second year, or even the third year would I believe they would come off by correctly "taping" them on. That would be if I did everything by the instructions, etc. But once that adhesive starts to deteriorate and the wind starts beating on and you have to adjust in and out, in and out, I'm afraid it would come of either while riding or while adjusting that. There is counter arguments that they should never come off because airplane wings are glued together and the adhesive for these are similar. However, with that said, circumstances have been reported by some that theirs have come off within short order, others are still hanging in there.

So, as one who has had no personal experience you are free to toss my advise in the trash can. Have a good one.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-09-20 9:13 PM (#165978 - in reply to #165975)
Subject: RE: Lower Wind Deflector Question

Visionary

Jasper, MO
I put mine on about 6 years ago, following the instructions for the tape and brackets, and using the recommended cleaning procedure (twice), the recommended application procedure, and the recommended curing time before mounting the actual deflectors. I've had my bike over 130 MPH a few times, ridden in 100+ degree temperatures many times, adjusted them countless times, and the things are still stuck on tight.

Someone once posted a picture of their bike after an accident where the deflectors were torn off the bike by breaking the BODY panel and leaving a gaping hole. The tape proved to be stronger than the plastic it was taped to.

Proper preparation and curing times are important--just like those airplane wings that are glued on. Do it halfway, and they might fall off.

Ronnie

Nozzledog
Posted 2014-09-20 9:22 PM (#165981 - in reply to #165975)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I have had them on for three years now. I always adjust them by kicking them while riding (don't try kicking the OEM ones, only the CycleOps). I have had no problems with the 3M tape installation.
HLUSN8
Posted 2014-09-20 10:00 PM (#165982 - in reply to #165975)

Cruiser

Quad Cities, IL
I have had the lowers on my bike for 4+ years. I did have one of the adhesives give-way at highway speeds after about 1 year in the midwest US (plenty of wet riding included) Luckily, the top bracket held and I was able to pull off at the next exit. I removed that side entirely so I wouldn't lose it along the road.

When I re-installed it using automotive exterior 3M tape, I also decided to use a waterproof silicon seal around all the brackets. It seems this may have helped. At least I am now 3+ years and both sides seem to be holding up just fine. Although I must admit, I do like the idea of using screws.

I finally had one of the lowers crack on me this summer. So I also took advantage of the 20% Anniversary discount from CycleOps USA.
SSG uppers and lowers on their way. Thanks CYCLEOPS and CONGRATS. I hope the adhesive doesn't give way with these bad-boys on the bike!
Oldman47
Posted 2014-09-20 10:27 PM (#165984 - in reply to #165975)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Let's get right down to basics. I installed my lowers while strictly adhering to the instructions and had no problems at all. Back in May I dropped the bike on the left side in a grassy ditch and ruined my left side fairing but the left side lower was still attached, with muddy grass under the clear plastic part. If you do it the way they tell you and let it cure they way they say, that is a permanent attachment. The shop tried to re-use the adhesive and I had it fall off the new fairing. It is definitely a one time use on the tape style adhesive.
kmt27
Posted 2014-09-20 11:06 PM (#165985 - in reply to #165975)

Cruiser

Davenport, IA
Dealer installed mine when purchased the bike 4 1/2 yrs ago. Been solid through cold, hot and rain. Matter of fact, I dropped the bike on its right side this past summer where a curb was and snapped the plastic lower in half, but was still held on by the upper and lower mounts. Luckily a member here had a set he was selling, so I only replaced the plastic lower, while the original mounts were still holding strong.
willtill
Posted 2014-09-21 5:52 AM (#165986 - in reply to #165975)

Visionary

Central Maryland
I've had mine on for three years as well; following the instructions as others have had. No problems with them coming off. Bolting them to the lower fairings is overkill IMHO...
adirondacks
Posted 2014-09-21 8:06 AM (#165991 - in reply to #165975)

Tourer

Troy, NY
Ditto - had mine on for 4 years. When you adjust them while riding don't use your feet. Adjust them by hand. I Think the people that had problems are the ones doing with their boots.
efd158
Posted 2014-09-21 6:40 PM (#166003 - in reply to #165975)

Cruiser

Westchester Co., NY
18,000 miles on my lowers. I have no issues. Applied per the directions.
Oldman47
Posted 2014-09-21 10:22 PM (#166005 - in reply to #165975)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Don't forget that the directions include allowing a 24 hours cure time after you attach the hinges. That means no riding fo0r a whole day. Wait to install until there is rain predicted. That way you don't miss too much riding.
rlreed
Posted 2014-10-02 8:53 PM (#167175 - in reply to #165975)

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
I've had mine on for over a year. dropped it at a gas pump and broke the right hand wing off but the tape held strong to the mounting bracket. Getting ready to order Cyclops replacement...
texasgrumpy
Posted 2014-10-03 11:51 PM (#167187 - in reply to #165975)

Cruiser

I've had lowers on mine for a few years now follow the directions and you should have no problems. When you think you have everything clean enough clean it again and do the whole area, I also let my brackets set up for a few days before attaching the deflectors to them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™