You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Rear breaks Failed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

marvin24
Posted 2014-06-23 6:41 PM (#159609)
Subject: Rear breaks Failed

Puddle Jumper

Long story short back breaks on my 2013 Vision failed. When I got the bike home I knew that I would find a leak, none found, so I think the master cylinder failed. Has anyone heard of this happening, very strange this happening with the low miles I have on the bike.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gr8punkin
Posted 2014-06-23 7:18 PM (#159611 - in reply to #159609)
Subject: Re: Rear breaks Failed

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
This issue was relatively common on the 08-09 bikes, and was easily fixed by a quick bleed of the system. My 08 has never done it, and my dads 09 needs to be bled once a year. I thought they had cured this problem with a change of the brake line, but bleeding the system is where I would start. Unless it's still under warranty.
senior
Posted 2014-06-23 7:35 PM (#159612 - in reply to #159611)

Puddle Jumper

Lum, MI United States
My 09 after being stored for the winter did the same thing when I first rolled it out. A quick bleeding of the rear brake did the trick. This year when I brought it out of storage I bleed the rear just to make sure it had fresh fluid because the dot 4 fluid that the bike calls for can degrade quicker than dot 3 and moisture air can form in the fluid over time pretty quickly.
marvin24
Posted 2014-06-23 8:38 PM (#159614 - in reply to #159609)

Puddle Jumper

How on gods green earth while driving down the road did a closed break system get air in it, no break line was loosen nor has the system lost any break fluid.
Oldman47
Posted 2014-06-24 4:45 AM (#160617 - in reply to #159614)

Tourer

Central Illinois

marvin24 - 2014-06-23 8:38 PM How on gods green earth while driving down the road did a closed break system get air in it, no break line was loosen nor has the system lost any break fluid.

When I am driving down the road I do not have my foot on the brake, except maybe when I am practicing low speed maneuvers. That means there is no internal pressure on my brake system. If I have even a very minor leak air can get into that unpressurized system. A bubble the size of a BB will be more than enough to make your brakes feel terrible.

varyder
Posted 2014-06-24 5:27 AM (#160619 - in reply to #159609)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
the system is compromised in some way for all of you having pressure loss. The best way to rectify it is to a) double check any fitting tightness, including your bleeder valve, 2) check for possible wear or integrity issue in a line, hose or component. It really is that simply, there is no mystery yet to be discovered, the system is compromised, either by faulty OEM parts or integrity issues with lines and/or components. One final check is to completely bleed out your system to ensure you have good fluid. Good day.
marvin24
Posted 2014-06-24 6:44 AM (#160622 - in reply to #159609)

Puddle Jumper

If the system is compromised then the break system should need fluid or be empty, I'm not missing a drop, I have no break pedal none and the system is full.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-06-24 8:47 AM (#160625 - in reply to #159609)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
what was the condition of the BRAKE fluid? level , and other wise.. btw if you feel the need to bleed your Brake fluid... i will say.. when i installed New Brake pads on my 08 vision i used Speed Bleeds... and it was amazing.. not only was i able bleed the brakes by myself with ease.. but i was able to flush the entire system, which i believe Victory wants done every 2 years anyways....
pollolittle
Posted 2014-06-24 9:34 AM (#160630 - in reply to #159609)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I dont remember if I posted on here about this. But a brake line can give you this exact problem. Problem existed on my dirt bike. No leaks, sealed, master and caliper in good shape, bled till I almost ran out of time, patience, and money from buying all the brake fluid. Had a guy build me a stainless line with Teflon piping inside and its been 3+ years and no issue since. Can't explain it. I may have to go cut that line open. My guess is the rubber is swelling and taking up the slack. But that right there is just a WAG. There was no scientific brain cells damaged during this post.
varyder
Posted 2014-06-24 9:56 AM (#160631 - in reply to #159609)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I recently replaced my rear caliper and since I didn't have anyone to assist me or a gizmo to help, I gravity bled the line. When I pumped it up the first time, it was fine and has been ever since. The only other I didn't mention was the condition of the brake fluid, that can cause it too, that's why total bleeding is important. I don't know what that chickenlittle guy is saying, but some how it makes since too... No explaino, but it ain't rocket science either...If your brakes are funky, DO NOT OPERATE. (but I won't tell you about the time when my rear pin fell out and my brake pad dropped. But, I did continued on my 400 mile round trip with only a front brake...)
marvin24
Posted 2014-06-24 10:19 AM (#160632 - in reply to #159609)

Puddle Jumper

Break fluid looks new, system is full no leaks, could it be the master cylinder has failed?
varyder
Posted 2014-06-24 11:19 AM (#160633 - in reply to #159609)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

That's possible, it is also possible there is air sucking in, but no fluid leaking out. If you take a wrench to all of your lines and fittings to see if that be it. Also, it could be leaking where you do not see it, follow the entire line, every inch to see if you find anything. Check the calipers for leakage, remember, your rear brake is linked to your front brake, so you're checking both. I support chickenlittle's assesment, changing the line "fixed" the problem, though it may have been the fitting, we'll never know. The important thing is that you don't lose your brakes when you need them the most. Given the simplicity of the system, very simple, it is something you can rectify very simply by being methodical. If you don't SEE something wrong, start with the cheapest and easiest components and start replacing until you no longer have the problem. When you check for the leaks, pull the caliber (don't seperate from the carrier on the rear caliper) and look at the pistons individually and carefully. I can't help but think that is where some folks are getting the issue from.

Another place is, and you may be right, the master cylinder.  You'll never see a leak, but the fluid could be sneaking past the plunger when you depress the peddle.

Edited by varyder 2014-06-24 11:22 AM
senior
Posted 2014-06-24 1:50 PM (#160636 - in reply to #160632)

Puddle Jumper

Lum, MI United States
marvin24 - 2014-06-24 11:19 AM

Break fluid looks new, system is full no leaks, could it be the master cylinder has failed?

I have to pose this question,

Did you try bleeding the brakes yet? before shooting in the dark with replacing parts start with the simple easy fix. along with checking all lines and connections to insure no leaks. Dot 4 fluid is known for gathering water and producing air pockets over time so if its been a while since its had fresh fluid it might just need a fluid replacement and good bleeding.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-06-24 7:19 PM (#160647 - in reply to #159609)

Visionary

didn't read what every one said.
Pump up the rear break pedal. Hold down open the right hand center break bleeder. Fluid comes out close.
Do Not Open top bleeder Do NOT
amessen
Posted 2014-06-26 11:32 AM (#160721 - in reply to #159609)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
I was told that on my 08 when it lost pedal without losing fluid that the brake line was to close to the exhaust and that the heat had boiled the fluid releasing air that caused my problem they did a little reroute of my brake line to the rear and said everything was fine. that has bee several years and no problems. Did this fix it or was it a load of BS not sure but there is what my dealer said. Archie
varyder
Posted 2014-06-27 7:50 AM (#160741 - in reply to #159609)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'm going to look again Archie, but that is very plausable. I had clutch fluid failure on my 84 Gold Wing going to Texas a few years ago. Riding those hot days and hard miles made the fluid ineffective and I had to pump the clutch to get it to activate.
IndyVision
Posted 2014-09-21 1:31 PM (#165996 - in reply to #159609)

Tourer

I've lost the rear brakes three times now on my 08 Vision. The latest being yesterday. It has been to two different shops to have the brakes bled. The last time the brakes were bled, the dealership did some research and bled the entire system. I had brakes for about 100 miles, and now, back to no rear brakes. The first time I lost rear brakes was back in June.
kevinx
Posted 2014-09-21 4:53 PM (#166002 - in reply to #159609)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
If you look at the short segment of flexible line that goes from the linked brake block to the hard metal rear brake line. You will note that one end of it is dark. That area is where it is sucking air in. The only solution is to replace the rear line.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™