You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Route Planning & Execution
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Wharf_rat
Posted 2014-04-21 12:15 PM (#155451)
Subject: Route Planning & Execution

Cruiser

Republic of Texas
I have found that for most of my travels, route planning can be performed by using Google Maps, coupled with my Android phone using the Google App coupled with the Google navigation app for voice guidance. It works pretty well. Either using wired ear buds, or my blue tooth Sena head set. Of course, I can play tunes, and/or take calls.

Here is my issue and question. Google Maps does very well getting from point A to B in an efficient manner. BUT,, I don't always want to be efficient. Sadly, there are no options to filter the route to "Most twisty" or "scenic" etc. Also, if I go to my computer and use Google Maps, I can alter my route by dragging the route around the map. Under old Google Maps it was possible to save and open this route on the Android phone. Then, Google changed their plan of action. Now, you can ONLY save the waypoints. And, Google will efficiently computer your route. Blahh...

Does anyone recommend any apps/packages/set ups, that would allow me to design my route on my computer then load it onto my Android phone and later use it for navigation?

Or, am I going to have to install a GPS?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
smadge
Posted 2014-04-21 5:56 PM (#155466 - in reply to #155451)
Subject: Re: Route Planning & Execution

Cruiser

Kerrville Texas ( now a homeowner on six acres)
maybe you should try some MAPS !!
SteveS
Posted 2014-04-21 6:47 PM (#155470 - in reply to #155451)
Subject: RE: Route Planning & Execution

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/OzY3P39y6bY%5B1-...

Wharf Rat, try following this link and then move towards the end of the pages. It sounds like some folks might have a solution to what you want. I personally use the Garmin Zumo 665 and Garmin Basecamp software for my route planning and I'm very happy with it.
Wharf_rat
Posted 2014-04-21 9:21 PM (#155474 - in reply to #155466)

Cruiser

Republic of Texas
smadge - 2014-04-21 5:56 PM

maybe you should try some MAPS !!

Funny you should mention this. Yesterday, I stopped at an Icehouse NE of Navasota. While having a cold one and studying my phone, I heard the two guys sit down at the next table pull out a MAP and say "Uh. I think we took this route. I don't really know how we got here." I was amused. While fighting with Google Maps, It DID select a nice country road with lots of twisties and Bluebonnets.

Then, a while later, I heard them talking and pointed at a bike. "Look how big it is." "I almost sat on one once." "I wonder where he is from?"
Finally, my curiosity got to me and I looked around the tree. Can you guess? Yep.. My Vision was the center of their conversation. I could go on about their maintenance problems. But, I really don't feel like slamming the HD guys on Easter
radioteacher
Posted 2014-04-22 10:33 PM (#155522 - in reply to #155451)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Hey lets get together and ride in late May or June in South TX

Chip,

Its been five years. How have you been?
MaddMAx2u
Posted 2014-04-29 12:50 PM (#155764 - in reply to #155451)

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
I recently tried a HOPEFUL solution for the iPhone using the Navigon app. But while I could create a map and import it to the app, all the waypoints became destinations!!!!!! What a disaster for directions. It was horrid! Cannot find a way to get the waypoints to stay waypoints when importing. So still no solution. And Google loses the route when importing to the iPhone app. So no luck there. At present, it seems you have to either create the route on the iPhone app (I use Garmin USA app). It works, it's just a pain to create a route on the small phone screen.
lstayner
Posted 2014-04-29 1:56 PM (#155765 - in reply to #155764)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
MaddMAx2u - 2014-04-29 12:50 PM

I recently tried a HOPEFUL solution for the iPhone using the Navigon app. But while I could create a map and import it to the app, all the waypoints became destinations!!!!!! What a disaster for directions. It was horrid! Cannot find a way to get the waypoints to stay waypoints when importing. So still no solution. And Google loses the route when importing to the iPhone app. So no luck there. At present, it seems you have to either create the route on the iPhone app (I use Garmin USA app). It works, it's just a pain to create a route on the small phone screen.

I use a free APP called "waze". It is free to download for either an android or Iphone. It syncs with my bluetooth and you can add "stops" after you set your final location. You can also report traffic issues and other users that report automatically pop up and let you know what is ahead. I prefer this to my brand new Zumo.
southjerseyrider
Posted 2014-04-29 2:33 PM (#155766 - in reply to #155470)
Subject: RE: Route Planning & Execution

Tourer

Vineland, NJ United States

garmin zumo and base camp software

varyder
Posted 2014-04-29 2:33 PM (#155767 - in reply to #155451)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Victory and Indian have a ride app to save your route and I've got another one called the greatest roads. I've really not used any of them in any great detail to give you a review. What I will do though is examine my proposed route through Google maps on the computer and do an enlarged print out of the areas of interest and I take that with me. If I feel I'm out of wack, I'll stop, use the google maps or google maps on my phone for where I think I want to get, if I've got phone service, and examine that route to my next stop. I don't get out to explore like I have in the past but I have my favorite routes that I'm familiar with. I refuse to distract myself with a GPS on the bike so it has made for some interesting rides.
lstayner
Posted 2014-04-29 3:49 PM (#155769 - in reply to #155451)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
I tried the Victory App and have looked at the greatest roads app. They both seem to want to track where you have been and not where you want to go. I am with you on the GPS on a bike. I only use it when I am in an area that I need assistance to find a place. Otherwise, it is fun to just go adventure riding. You find some of the best places to ride by accident.
okie vision
Posted 2014-04-29 6:41 PM (#155778 - in reply to #155451)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
if it were simple, where's the fun in that? I attempted that Garmin Base Camp stuff and gave up. My grandkids could probably do it without a problem.
I was told long ago by some very wise, weathered Gold Wing riders, it's all about the Journey and you're never lost as long as you have fuel.
TMOE4U
Posted 2014-04-29 9:16 PM (#155783 - in reply to #155451)

Puddle Jumper

Edmonton, AB Canada
I was just playing with Google Maps and discovered that when you click on the little question mark near the bottom right corner it gives you an option to go back to Classic Google Maps. This also gives you the save option once again.
MaddMAx2u
Posted 2014-04-30 11:24 AM (#155802 - in reply to #155451)

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
All nice but not one solution in the bunch. I do not want a stand alone GPS!!

As far as I can tell, there is NO iPhone app that allows one to create a route on your PC and then send it to your iPhone app for voice navigation. If anyone knows of an iPhone solution t this, please let me know. And no, the Vic app and the Greatest Roads app both do not offer the route planning I want OR voice navigation which is a requirement.

HOWEVER, I was told that you can use Google CLASSIC maps to create your own route and send then open the Google Nav app on your ANDRIOD phone to use that route. On the iPhone it does not work. You only get starting point and destination and Google Nav makes it's own route.

Edited by MaddMAx2u 2014-04-30 11:27 AM
varyder
Posted 2014-04-30 1:08 PM (#155810 - in reply to #155451)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I can use my iPhone as a GPS using Google Maps App and the Sprint Navigation. They both seem to work okay in the car and will allow you to choose more than one suggested route. Putting points in between doesn't seem possible but that should stop you. That can be overcome by doing one stop at a time. Other than that, I don't know. I'm not one to regularly use a GPS, stand alone, or on my phone, so I'm not too savy to give you the answer you're looking for.
Wharf_rat
Posted 2014-04-30 10:19 PM (#155822 - in reply to #155802)

Cruiser

Republic of Texas
MaddMAx2u - 2014-04-30 11:24 AM

All nice but not one solution in the bunch. I do not want a stand alone GPS!!

As far as I can tell, there is NO iPhone app that allows one to create a route on your PC and then send it to your iPhone app for voice navigation. If anyone knows of an iPhone solution t this, please let me know. And no, the Vic app and the Greatest Roads app both do not offer the route planning I want OR voice navigation which is a requirement.

HOWEVER, I was told that you can use Google CLASSIC maps to create your own route and send then open the Google Nav app on your ANDRIOD phone to use that route. On the iPhone it does not work. You only get starting point and destination and Google Nav makes it's own route.

MaddMax2u,
You are correct. Nothing really exists that beats Google Maps + Navigator. At least the old versions.

I have been testing Co-Pilot You can create routes pretty easy, and edit them. But, it MUST BE DONE from the phone. Co=-Pilot isn't a cheap App. I would gladly pay $$ for an App that actually worked.

WR
e
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™