You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

valve rattle
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

new vic rider
Posted 2014-04-20 11:09 PM (#154436)
Subject: valve rattle

Cruiser

Shelbyville, IL United States
I have a 2013 Vision. It has 5300 miles on it. The valves are really loud. The more miles I put on it the louder it gets. Sounds like a marble in a tin can. Is this normal ? It really dont bother me going down the road. I just want to know if every 106 motor sounds like this. Most valve rattle I have had on any bike I have owned. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-04-21 12:58 AM (#154438 - in reply to #154436)
Subject: Re: valve rattle

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
in gear? while moving? any certain RPM range? what octane of fuel are you using?
new vic rider
Posted 2014-04-21 1:25 PM (#155453 - in reply to #154436)

Cruiser

93 octane. It rattles in gear idleing or going down the rode.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-04-21 1:50 PM (#155454 - in reply to #154436)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i hate to ask this, but.. when was the last time the oil level was checked..?
varyder
Posted 2014-04-21 5:50 PM (#155461 - in reply to #154436)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
nvr is just funning with us. He checks his oil and has the right kind of oil at the right level. If he wasn't funning with us he'd done take it to the dealer before he got a piston in his chaps...
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-04-21 6:19 PM (#155468 - in reply to #154436)

Visionary

yes go to dealer and do a compression test. I don't know if you can do a leak down test on a Vic but it would tell you if the valves are not seated right.
It they take the top end a part gut in cams it would be free labor.
Even call Rylan at the Vic shop and see what he says about the knock
Oldman47
Posted 2014-04-21 11:18 PM (#155481 - in reply to #154436)

Tourer

Central Illinois
No way is a noise like that "normal". The way you describe it I would immediately think ping. That is why people are asking about octane ratings. A ping is often cured by raising octane. What mods have you done? Do you have any performance intake or exhaust mods?
new vic rider
Posted 2014-04-22 12:11 AM (#155482 - in reply to #154436)

Cruiser

Stage 1 pipes air cleaner and download. Loyds timing wheel set at 4 degrees advance. It is not a knock it is valve noise. I have not been around any other victory bikes to listen to them. Maybe it is normal. It seems to be louder now that the weather has warmed up. I would think if it was pining it would not do it at idle. Yes oils just changed by me. Checked by me and checked by dealer again and checked by me yesterday. The oil is fine. Lastnight I took the timing cover off and was going to back the timing wheel down to 0 but I could not get it to move. Took the bolts comepletely out of the middle and it still would not move. Maybe I am missiong something.
diamonbird
Posted 2014-04-22 5:33 AM (#155485 - in reply to #154436)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
Yeah it's not the middle bolt that allows the timing wheel to move it's the outter two bolts that do that.
Do what a lot of old timer Vic riders do Wear ear plugs, it makes for a much better ride.....all Vic's have lifter noise, some more then others, some not at all...........it's normal...... Vic's make noise......Vic motors are bullet proof..... the end!
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-04-22 8:50 AM (#155491 - in reply to #154436)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i know this is rare.. but a few years ago. my dealer had a 09 vision come in for noises.. they finally found something in the rear cylinder head.. right under the valve cover.. i cant remember exactly what it was. but i do remember being told it was a screw (very tiny) that came loose. it had something to do with the valves. ... it was one of these little screws http://parts.polarisind.com/images/VIC/VALVETRN/09VEGAS.gif im not saying he has the same issues.. but in the case of this guy at my dealer it as extremely rare and unheard of... i remember my dealer had to call victory for "help".
new vic rider
Posted 2014-04-22 5:25 PM (#155508 - in reply to #154436)

Cruiser

I am leaving for Florida Friday. I reckon if it gonna grenade it will do it then. It could be normal. It seems to be louder the warmer it is out. Gonna be 90 in Florida it should sound really bad then lol.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-04-22 6:35 PM (#155513 - in reply to #154436)

Visionary

new Vic rider
does the sound get louder the faster you go or does the noise stay the same from idle all the way to 60 or 70mph.
yes loosen two outer bolts to change timing do not go below zero

(009.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 009.JPG (55KB - 2 downloads)
new vic rider
Posted 2014-04-22 10:17 PM (#155520 - in reply to #154436)

Cruiser

noise gets louder the faster I go. It is rpm related. I did loosen the 2 inside bolts and it would not move either way. Matter of fact took them all the way out and it still would not move.
new vic rider
Posted 2014-04-22 10:17 PM (#155521 - in reply to #154436)

Cruiser

Wait not louder just speeds up.
diamonbird
Posted 2014-04-23 5:32 AM (#155531 - in reply to #154436)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
I'm pretty sure the noise is a lifter and you may need to loosen the middle bolt and the two outter bolts to turn the timing gear.
Also I still recommend ear plugs, at least try them.
sarvbill
Posted 2014-04-23 6:25 AM (#155533 - in reply to #155520)

Cruiser

Chesterfield, VA

new vic rider - 2014-04-22 11:17 PM noise gets louder the faster I go. It is rpm related. I did loosen the 2 inside bolts and it would not move either way. Matter of fact took them all the way out and it still would not move.

Just trying to cover all bases on adjusting the timing wheel...you do realize that once you loosen the 2 bolts on the inner wheel, it's the inner wheel that you turn to adjust the timing and not the outer wheel that has what looks like gear teeth on it.  The outer wheel is locked in place, you will not be able to turn that. 

Also want to point out that while a lot of people here seem to be able to run with their timing advanced by 4-6 degrees, I found that I had to bring mine all the way back to a +1 before I could eliminate the pinging under a load.  If the noise you are hearing gets louder as the RPMs increase and as the ambient temperature increases, I wouldn't rule out the fact that your timing may be advanced too far for your motor.

willtill
Posted 2014-04-23 7:00 AM (#155535 - in reply to #155533)

Visionary

Central Maryland

sarvbill - 2014-04-23 7:25 AM

new vic rider - 2014-04-22 11:17 PM noise gets louder the faster I go. It is rpm related. I did loosen the 2 inside bolts and it would not move either way. Matter of fact took them all the way out and it still would not move.

Just trying to cover all bases on adjusting the timing wheel...you do realize that once you loosen the 2 bolts on the inner wheel, it's the inner wheel that you turn to adjust the timing and not the outer wheel that has what looks like gear teeth on it.� The outer wheel is locked in place, you will not be able to turn that.�

Also want to point out that while a lot of people here seem to be able to run with their timing advanced by 4-6 degrees, I found that I had to bring mine all the way back to a +1 before I could eliminate the pinging under a load.� If the noise you are hearing gets louder as the RPMs increase and as the ambient temperature increases, I wouldn't rule out the fact that your timing may be advanced too far for your motor.

I have also been hearing some very mild pinging as of late, when I run my Vision under a load and the adjustable timing wheel set at +4 degree's.  I think I am going to go back in to it and adjust it back a bit.

johnnyvision
Posted 2014-04-23 6:37 PM (#155560 - in reply to #155533)

Visionary

sarvbill - 2014-04-23 6:25 AM

Just trying to cover all bases on adjusting the timing wheel...you do realize that once you loosen the 2 bolts on the inner wheel, it's the inner wheel that you turn to adjust the timing and not the outer wheel that has what looks like gear teeth on it.  The outer wheel is locked in place, you will not be able to turn that. 

Also want to point out that while a lot of people here seem to be able to run with their timing advanced by 4-6 degrees, I found that I had to bring mine all the way back to a +1 before I could eliminate the pinging under a load.  If the noise you are hearing gets louder as the RPMs increase and as the ambient temperature increases, I wouldn't rule out the fact that your timing may be advanced too far for your motor.

He is saying it wrong. Loosen the two outer bolts and the outer part of the wheel turns. The inner part of the wheel is stationary

johnnyvision
Posted 2014-04-23 6:39 PM (#155561 - in reply to #155535)

Visionary

willtill - 2014-04-23 7:00 AM

sarvbill - 2014-04-23 7:25 AM

Just trying to cover all bases on adjusting the timing wheel...you do realize that once you loosen the 2 bolts on the inner wheel, it's the inner wheel that you turn to adjust the timing and not the outer wheel that has what looks like gear teeth on it.� The outer wheel is locked in place, you will not be able to turn that.�

Also want to point out that while a lot of people here seem to be able to run with their timing advanced by 4-6 degrees, I found that I had to bring mine all the way back to a +1 before I could eliminate the pinging under a load.� If the noise you are hearing gets louder as the RPMs increase and as the ambient temperature increases, I wouldn't rule out the fact that your timing may be advanced too far for your motor.

I have also been hearing some very mild pinging as of late, when I run my Vision under a load and the adjustable timing wheel set at +4 degree's.  I think I am going to go back in to it and adjust it back a bit.

If your not ruining 91 octane get try it first

new vic rider
Posted 2014-04-23 10:11 PM (#155570 - in reply to #154436)

Cruiser

I still am not clear on how to get the timing wheel to move or adjust. Do I have to loosen the middle bolt and the 2 outside bolts to adjust it. I had the 2 bolts out and niether part of the wheel would move. I have rode the bike 1500 miles since installing the timing wheel. The motor is so noisy how can I tell if its pining. The rattle noise is valves I would say. Taking off for 3000 mile trip I just want to make sure there is not to much timing advanced in the bike when I get to florida in 90 degree weather. The warmest I have rode it in since the timing wheel install is 75 degrees. I can either figure out how to adjust it or just take it off and put the stock timing wheel back on. The bike runs like a raped ape set at 4 degrees advanced.
sarvbill
Posted 2014-04-24 6:13 AM (#155579 - in reply to #155560)

Cruiser

Chesterfield, VA

johnnyvision - 2014-04-23 7:37 PM

sarvbill - 2014-04-23 6:25 AM

He is saying it wrong. Loosen the two outer bolts and the outer part of the wheel turns. The inner part of the wheel is stationary

You're right - my bad, must be CRS kicking in again.

ljurgens
Posted 2014-04-24 8:26 AM (#155580 - in reply to #155570)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

new vic rider - 2014-04-23 10:11 PM I still am not clear on how to get the timing wheel to move or adjust. Do I have to loosen the middle bolt and the 2 outside bolts to adjust it. I had the 2 bolts out and niether part of the wheel would move. I have rode the bike 1500 miles since installing the timing wheel. The motor is so noisy how can I tell if its pining. The rattle noise is valves I would say. Taking off for 3000 mile trip I just want to make sure there is not to much timing advanced in the bike when I get to florida in 90 degree weather. The warmest I have rode it in since the timing wheel install is 75 degrees. I can either figure out how to adjust it or just take it off and put the stock timing wheel back on. The bike runs like a raped ape set at 4 degrees advanced.

If you can't get it to move, take it off and put the stock one on and see if your noise gets better. That will prove once and for all if it is the time wheel or not.

Then adjust the wheel while you've got it off the bike.

willtill
Posted 2014-04-24 11:44 AM (#155583 - in reply to #155561)

Visionary

Central Maryland
johnnyvision - 2014-04-23 7:39 PM

If your not ruining 91 octane get try it first

Yes, I always run the Shell V-Power Premium (91-93 octane) in my Vision. I want to take it out later again this afternoon, and closely listen to it. Does sound like faint detonation, or I may just be hearing things.

If I do have to go back in the timing cover; hope the gasket from Lloydz holds up and doesn't rip. I don't have a replacement.
willtill
Posted 2014-04-24 1:24 PM (#155584 - in reply to #154436)

Visionary

Central Maryland
It's sounds slightly "tinky" on acceleration. I've just got done going back in and dropped the timing gear from 4+ to 2+. Hopefully I'll not have to open the timing cover again. Taking it back out for a test run.

The replacement gasket did not tear either. Was careful with it.

Edited by willtill 2014-04-24 1:25 PM
willtill
Posted 2014-04-24 5:53 PM (#155588 - in reply to #154436)

Visionary

Central Maryland
No more "tinky" sounds that I can tell. I'll wait for hotter weather and see how she goes. Would really like to have 4+ but if 2+ is all she'll tolerate, well so be it.

Better than O
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™