You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

valve rattle
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

johnnyvision
Posted 2014-04-24 6:11 PM (#155589 - in reply to #155570)
Subject: Re: valve rattle

Visionary

new vic rider - 2014-04-23 10:11 PM I still am not clear on how to get the timing wheel to move or adjust. Do I have to loosen the middle bolt and the 2 outside bolts to adjust it. I had the 2 bolts out and niether part of the wheel would move. I have rode the bike 1500 miles since installing the timing wheel. The motor is so noisy how can I tell if its pining. The rattle noise is valves I would say. Taking off for 3000 mile trip I just want to make sure there is not to much timing advanced in the bike when I get to florida in 90 degree weather. The warmest I have rode it in since the timing wheel install is 75 degrees. I can either figure out how to adjust it or just take it off and put the stock timing wheel back on. The bike runs like a raped ape set at 4 degrees advanced.

DO NOT touch center bolt.

Loosen the two outer bolts.

Move the outer ring.

Do Not Go Below Zero

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jimbo62
Posted 2014-04-25 12:55 AM (#155601 - in reply to #154436)

Cruiser

Moncks Corner, SC United States
This sounds alot like when the two adjustment bolts on my timing wheel came loose shortly after install. Alot of noise coming from the top end. Found they were not (very) tight from the mfr. The fact you can't even move the adjusment wheel with the bolts out is odd. Something isn't right. I would follow the earlier post. Replace with the stock timing wheel (if you can get it off) then check for the noise. At least you will be able to eliminate something.
Lojak
Posted 2014-07-06 6:41 PM (#161009 - in reply to #154436)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada
need guidance on this one...last year I started to notice a tapping sound on the first start up of the day, it lasted for about 30 sec... and for the rest of the day it was normal at start up...but gradually it has gotten worst . Year + later now on every cold start the tapping got louder and longer on warm-up for at lease 1 minute and if I rev up the motor on warm-up tap get louder to almost a knock but once she is warmed up , its quiet again . But it is getting worst with time.

No better or worst full synt or semi synt oil... is it because my oil is not getting up fast enough , how can I check if the oil pump is working with the pressure needed. How can I tell the difference between valve noise and (gulp) crank noise..Tried to locate the noise with a long screwdriver to the ear trick, but can't pin point it...
No knocking on hard accel but I can feel a vibration, everything is running smooth when she is warm up... Anything I can check before taking it to the shop...any hint would be appreciated , shop is 200 miles away..
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-07-06 6:56 PM (#161010 - in reply to #154436)

Visionary

LOJAK
Your lifters are bleeding down over night. They all pretty much do that. In morning when you start it the oil has to pump back into the lifters. So thats why you hear the tapping. Am guessing the time it takes for them to pump up has not changed your just scared and thinking it has. Your bike has 50 pound oil pressure when you start it and it takes a little time. You could pull your oil pressure switch and screw in a gauge and see what it reads.
If your really in doughty go to dealer or find another vision owner up there and talk to him.
Please Please till motor is warm do not rev it up your damaging the pistons doing that
Lojak
Posted 2014-07-06 8:08 PM (#161014 - in reply to #161010)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada
johnnyvision - 2014-07-06 8:56 PM

LOJAK
Your lifters are bleeding down over night. They all pretty much do that. In morning when you start it the oil has to pump back into the lifters. So thats why you hear the tapping. Am guessing the time it takes for them to pump up has not changed your just scared and thinking it has. Your bike has 50 pound oil pressure when you start it and it takes a little time. You could pull your oil pressure switch and screw in a gauge and see what it reads.
If your really in doughty go to dealer or find another vision owner up there and talk to him.
Please Please till motor is warm do not rev it up your damaging the pistons doing that

Tks johnnyvision...lifters bleeding over night I could understand , but bleeding down on every cold start like 2-3 times a day compare versus 1 a day last year...would this be a sign that the bleeding is getting to be a problem ?
I assume these lifters would be hydraulic , are they !
I was thinking of doing a cam upgrade ,would this be a good time to get this lifter problem fix !! Getting tired of some of my riding friends teasing me about my motor coming apart at warm up...have to wait for the Harley's with strait pipes to start first to bury the tapping noise ,,(all in good fun ... but grrr!)
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-07-07 7:29 AM (#161019 - in reply to #154436)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
at my old victory dealer they had a 09 with this issues. (A lifter) wouldn't hold oil. for that situation it required a replacement lifter. then the customer didnt have this issue any more.. i know the noise you are talking about.. mine did this to me on the very first start of this year.. it about gave me a heart attack... sounded like the bike was in self destruct mode... since then, it has not done this...
V92SC
Posted 2014-07-07 10:23 AM (#161025 - in reply to #154436)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
I noticed that very same problem with my 08VV. I ran a couple ozs. of Berryman B 12 and Marvel Mystery oil in 4 conservative tanks and now it is cured, of course right now it is hott as heck down here in the Mardi Gras city. You also might try not starting the bike on the side stand because the oil pump pickup is at it's swallowest then. I also run a few ozs. of Marvel every other oil change. IJS that's what worked for me.
Lojak
Posted 2014-07-19 8:54 PM (#163454 - in reply to #161025)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada
Tried " Sea Foam" in my oil half bottle took for a ride them flush the oil and filter. The rattle at cold start-up is 80% gone , less vibration on the floor boards and the clutch seem to grab better . Will flush again with Sea Foam at next oil change..it's a good felling , on the right track . Will try Berryman B12 in gas next...Thanks for the tips Bud's :0)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™