You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

CB instructions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

KRUZER
Posted 2014-02-16 6:26 PM (#151399)
Subject: CB instructions

Puddle Jumper

Dallas, NC United States
I hate to keep whining about this cb, but...... Anyone done your own install? I finished mine on 2013 Vision, everything comes on and works, but I can't get the SWR readings down in the operational range, it pegs the needle. This is a no ground plane system, just like firestiks. Here is my question. The instructions say: On the coax cable there is a large ring termimal that bolts to the top mount screw. The bottom mount bolt attaches to the ground cable. But there is a small ring terminal also coming out of the coax. Where does it go? I attached it to the ground, but I think this is where my problem is. The instructions don't say where it goes. The picture takin in black and white in low light doesn't show any detail either. Does it just hang loose, maybe for some other application? Please help, as I/m about to remove the trunk and separate the skin again just to remove that dang small terminal.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ScoreBo
Posted 2014-02-16 6:46 PM (#151400 - in reply to #151399)
Subject: RE: CB instructions

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
It sounds like you have it installed correctly. Try these 2008 instructions as they are in color. It is what I used on my 2011.

http://scorebo.brinkster.net/downloads/Vision/CB_Antenna_Installati...

Edited by ScoreBo 2014-02-16 6:51 PM
KRUZER
Posted 2014-02-16 7:22 PM (#151402 - in reply to #151399)
Subject: Re: CB instructions

Puddle Jumper

Dallas, NC United States
thanks for the pics. Wonder why I am getting a full swing on the swr meter it registers 8.77 on channel 40 and 8.50 on channel one. Somewhere around 1.5 to 3 would be ok, but 8 is usually a short or open circuit. I can transmit and received ok, but 8 is way to high. Also look a the pic in fig. 6. instr #12 ...ground strap thru small hole in ground strap, install nut and washer. Doesn't say anything about small terminal .If you look closely, it looks like the small wire coming off the coax is just laying there. Pictures don't lie, but something just ain't right with this antenna. Any ideas? thanks for your help.
ScoreBo
Posted 2014-02-16 7:51 PM (#151406 - in reply to #151399)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
I am going from memory from two years ago, but if I recall, the small ring terminal is bolted with a nut and star washer thru the ground strap. The other (a little longer wire) is attached to the actual antenna connector on the inside of the mount. Hopefully that makes sense. I remember taking some of the copper wound wire out of the antenna to get my SWR to the right level, but I can't remember if I was too high or low. I also did this on a J&M antenna and not the Victory one. Last, but not least, the ground strap then gets bolted to the trunk with the bolts that hold the trunk to the bike.

You won't be able to get any help on this from your dealer as I don't think they are really trained to do much more than install the CB and antenna. If you notice, there is no mention of SWR in the antenna or CB installation instructions. Unless something changed on the 2013 model, RadioSound is the actual manufacturer of the radio and components (http://www.radiosound.com ). I would contact them and see if they can help you figure this out. I called them when I got my 2011 as I didn't want to buy spare headsets to get connectors? long story.
KRUZER
Posted 2014-02-16 8:14 PM (#151409 - in reply to #151399)

Puddle Jumper

Dallas, NC United States
You're right on the install. Thats the way mine is mounted now. Big ring top mount, small ring and ground strap on bottom, ground strap to upper left bolt holding trunk. I was reading infor on firestik no ground plane antenna who I hear makes vision but with the 2' antenna. Their infor says the sheild (which I take is the same ring) should not be grounded. But something is no right. I'll check with Radio Sound tomorrow, I used to call them several years ago with harley radios. They know there stuff! I checked the diagonstics on my radio, radio is ver. 9, cb is a 7 don't know if reflash or not, I'll try dealer tomorrow, but I don't expect much. Anything else let me know. If I find out I'll update date ya. Thanks again and ride safe.
Kruzer, NC
MR139
Posted 2014-02-25 9:51 AM (#151695 - in reply to #151399)

Puddle Jumper

The center (copper) wire of coax cable should be the wire connected to antenna and the outside wire of coax (silver colored shield wire) should be connected to ground (ground strap) if these are backwards or are in any way connected together, it will cause a shorted condition and a high SWR as a result.
KRUZER
Posted 2014-02-26 7:34 AM (#151735 - in reply to #151399)

Puddle Jumper

Dallas, NC United States
Thanks guys. I split the skins (again) and checked and double checked the wires and mount ARE connected correctly. Still throws a max. on the swr. However, good news. Friend has a firestik II with the 17' cable, plugged it in and checked swr... about 2.0 with no adjustments! Told my dealer about our experiment and he has ordered me a new antenna kit under warrenty. I will pass on the results later.....or I just might get a firestik before its all over.
KRUZER
Posted 2014-02-27 10:09 PM (#151802 - in reply to #151399)

Puddle Jumper

Dallas, NC United States
Got my new factory antenna today (under warranty) thanks to dealer. As I was looking at my NEW coax cable the large terminal fell off. Upon inspection I found that the terminal was crimped on the plastic covering, not the coax wire itself. Installed and checked swr's, perfect! Checked the old (new) one I had so much problem with and it was the same...crimped on the plastic not the coax. Thats been my problem all along. So much for quality control from the manufacturer. Check that connection in the future and save a lot of headaches.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™