You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

cb antenna
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

KRUZER
Posted 2014-02-15 3:07 PM (#151378)
Subject: cb antenna

Puddle Jumper

Dallas, NC United States
Just installed factory cb on vison. I can't get the swr's down within a range (gives me a full swing on the meter). Question.... I followed the instructions to a tee, but is there supposed to be a plastic washer or something between the antenna and the antenna mount where it screws in? I put the plastic washer inside on the plate when I separated the trunk skin, but whats up with the swrs?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bashcars
Posted 2014-02-16 1:27 PM (#151393 - in reply to #151378)
Subject: Re: cb antenna

Cruiser

Katy, TX United States
How hard was the install?
rdbudd
Posted 2014-02-17 11:28 AM (#151432 - in reply to #151378)
Subject: RE: cb antenna

Visionary

Jasper, MO
That plastic shoulder washer is an insulator. It should be installed in the top hole, on the surface that the center conductor (large ring) mounts to, that is, between the ring connector and the mounting plate. The ONLY thing you want that ring to touch is the center post. If it is touching the mounting plate, you have a short and your SWRs will never come in line.

In other words, put the mounting plate on, THEN install the plastic washer over the top post. Doing it the other way will cause a short. If any part of that center conductor--large mounting ring, physically touches the grounding/mounting plate, you'll have a short. The plastic washer must be correctly installed to prevent this. If you put that plastic washer on the inside, under the ground plate, it's not right. It goes on top of the plate. The shoulder goes between the plate and the antenna ring.

The small ring that connects to the shield goes on the ground (bottom) post, and should be well grounded with the ground strap.

Make sure that the ground strap itself does not touch that top circuit. On mine, when I did my install, I had to put a new hole in the ground strap to keep it away from the top ring. The factory supplied hole in the strap left the ground strap way too close to the top ring and it affected my SWRs negatively. Relocating the ground strap farther away from the top post cured the problem.

These NGP antennas are touchy devils, but they do work. My SWRs are less than 3 on all channels.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2014-02-17 11:38 AM
KRUZER
Posted 2014-02-17 7:09 PM (#151447 - in reply to #151378)

Puddle Jumper

Dallas, NC United States
Update: Pulled trunk and skin, checked mount, made sure every was right. Put back together, same problem. Is the vision antenna considered a ngp? I'm thinking of buying the firestik II antenna and need to be sure which one I need. Also the radio transmits and rec/v, just the dang antenna is like its not there.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-02-17 7:54 PM (#151451 - in reply to #151447)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
KRUZER - 2014-02-17 7:09 PM

Update: Pulled trunk and skin, checked mount, made sure every was right. Put back together, same problem. Is the vision antenna considered a ngp? I'm thinking of buying the firestik II antenna and need to be sure which one I need. Also the radio transmits and rec/v, just the dang antenna is like its not there.

The Vision antenna is an NGP. The factory antenna comes with a special cable that incorporates the tuning ballast needed for the NGP operation. A regular CB antenna cable is not going to work.

You can use a Firestik antenna with the factory NGP cable and mount, but you should get the one that has the tunable tip. The tuning will be VERY sensitive. Small adjustments can make a big difference. I have a 3 foot Firestik on my factory mount that I put on after somebody broke my original factory antenna.

Ronnie
KRUZER
Posted 2014-03-01 11:10 PM (#151848 - in reply to #151378)

Puddle Jumper

Dallas, NC United States
thanks everyone for your help. Dealer exchanged new factory antenna under warranty. While checking the "new" coax the large ring terminal fell off in my hand. The terminal was crimped to the plastic sheat but the copper coax wire was cut off even with the plastic so no connection at all. I soldered a new terminal on....swrs now in .5-2.0 in all channels. Looked at my old "new" cable and could tell it had the same problem. I told my dealer about it when I returned it. Anyone else installing this should double check that terminal connection BEFORE putting the truck skins back on.
Ridin fine now in NC.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-03-02 10:16 AM (#151855 - in reply to #151848)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
WOW! Their cable supplier's quality control has gone out the window. You basically had no antenna connection at all, and the cables as supplied are worthless without the end user's repair. I hope your dealer tells his district rep about it, and the district rep relays the information to HQ. Their cable supplier is putting out junk.

I've not seen that problem before. Victory must have changed suppliers.

Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for the heads up.

Ronnie

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™