You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Tapping at start up
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

MYVEGASVISION
Posted 2014-02-07 7:50 PM (#151105)
Subject: Tapping at start up

Puddle Jumper

Las Vegas, Nevada
I own a 2008 Vision Premium Tour and up to this point I haven't had any issues until I started to hear a tapping sound like a valve tap at start up. Approximately 15 to 20 seconds later the tap went away. This only happens when the engine is cold,

I brought it to the dealership I purchased the bike at here in Las Vegas and was told it was a tensioner and that it would be $190.00 to fix and that I had to wait on the part. Five days later they called me and said they needed another part that would cost $76.00 dollars additional.

Yesterday, I get a call stating the noise is still there but not as noticeable as before, now I'm $325.00 into this and I'm told that they would have to tear down the motor to find out what else it may be that is causing it to happen (4 hours minimal labor plus parts)

Has anyone ever have this issue and can educate myself in order to get the dealership to repair my bike properly and at a fair price without having to be a let try this $$$$$ and if that doesn't work lets try this $$$$$$$ ?

Any and all help and suggestions would be appreciated

Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2014-02-07 8:27 PM (#151107 - in reply to #151105)
Subject: Re: Tapping at start up

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Yikes, mine has done since day one and I'm rolling 153,000 with no other issues. It gets worse at oil change time. Almost becomes nonexistent when I change the oil.
el spanky
Posted 2014-02-07 9:03 PM (#151108 - in reply to #151105)

Cruiser

Victoria Tx, TX United States
Sounds like oil related. The oil has not reached the top. This is normal to V twin air cold motors.
MYVEGASVISION
Posted 2014-02-07 11:28 PM (#151110 - in reply to #151105)

Puddle Jumper

Las Vegas, Nevada
Ever since new I have ran a full synthetic 20-50 Castrol for Twin-V never changed brands and I just developed the tapping with in the last couple thousand miles and it's pretty loud almost sounds like a valve tap.
cujo19
Posted 2014-02-08 5:43 AM (#151111 - in reply to #151105)

Puddle Jumper

I have an 08 vision ,I got tapping on cold starts , using mobil 1 20/50 ,I switched to rotella 5/40 the tapping is gone on cold starts...
willtill
Posted 2014-02-08 6:10 AM (#151112 - in reply to #151105)

Visionary

Central Maryland
I "was" hearing a tapping; well almost a "tapping knock" at cold start up; have about 17,000+ on my Vision now. The tapping abruptly will disappear if I keep the idle up a couple hundred RPM for several seconds after start; then release the throttle and the tapping is gone.

Edited by willtill 2014-02-08 6:11 AM
BEERAD
Posted 2014-02-08 11:18 AM (#151119 - in reply to #151112)

New user

2013 vision with 9500 mi. When its cold; that is when I get some valve tap. just let it warm up, that oil is thick when its cold.. and its been dam cold
MYVEGASVISION
Posted 2014-02-08 12:09 PM (#151125 - in reply to #151105)

Puddle Jumper

Las Vegas, Nevada
Thanks so much for all the replies, now the oil issue makes sense. Just always a let down when you try and put trust a local Victory dealerships that should be a little more informed than to be wasting the customers monies on a hunch or guess they acted like this was the first time they ever heard about this issue.

Just shows the value of this forum and the Vision Riders family,

Ride Safe
willtill
Posted 2014-02-08 4:57 PM (#151143 - in reply to #151125)

Visionary

Central Maryland
MYVEGASVISION - 2014-02-08 1:09 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies, now the oil issue makes sense. Just always a let down when you try and put trust a local Victory dealerships that should be a little more informed than to be wasting the customers monies on a hunch or guess they acted like this was the first time they ever heard about this issue.

Just shows the value of this forum and the Vision Riders family,

Ride Safe

You need to go back and throw a brick through their window (cannot tolerate deceiving dealerships)

This is why, as you will find out if you hang out long enough here; many of us will do our work ourselves.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-02-08 6:25 PM (#151148 - in reply to #151105)

Visionary

when you shut bike off and it sits over night the oil drains out of the lifters. When you start the bike it ticks till the oil pumps back into lifters.
Its normal for your bike to do it no mater what oil you use.
I would write Victory and tell them how your dealer screwed you. Even go to facebook and post how your dealer screwed you and make sure you use there name
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-02-09 7:02 AM (#151161 - in reply to #151105)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i cant remember where i read this.. but for this reason (among others) this is why you should NOT rev your engine when first starting it..
Monkeyman
Posted 2014-02-09 2:38 PM (#151182 - in reply to #151143)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN

willtill - 2014-02-08 5:57 PM

You need to go back and throw a brick through their window...

Great idea!  No sense in going home when you're done.  Just sit there and wait on the cops (and the dealerships lawyer).  The good news is that it's probably only a misdemeanor so you probably won't go to prison.

Edited by Monkeyman 2014-02-09 2:40 PM
willtill
Posted 2014-02-09 5:25 PM (#151185 - in reply to #151105)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Arkainzeye - 2014-02-09 8:02 AM

i cant remember where i read this.. but for this reason (among others) this is why you should NOT rev your engine when first starting it..

We are not talking about "rev'ing" the engine. We are talking about increasing the idle RPM's to a couple of hundred more; on a cold engine with thick, cold oil. Lloydz has recommended the same thing on a cold start up; of a cold motor.

And you know what pilgrim? It works. The tapping/knocking goes away almost instantly when increasing the idle by a couple of rpm for the first 20 seconds or so after start up; than if you just let the Vic motor idle as the ECM tells it to.

You wanna hear knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock...? At idle?

Or just: knock-knock-knock-no knock... with a couple of hundred RPM added to help the oil up quicker into the top end of that engine?

Monkeyman - 2014-02-09 3:38 PM

<p>willtill - 2014-02-08 5:57 PM</p><p>You need to go back and throw a brick through their window...</p><p>Great idea! No sense in going home when you're done. Just sit there and wait on the cops (and the dealerships lawyer). The good news is that it's probably only a misdemeanor so you probably won't go to prison.</p>

Yes, take EVERYTHING literally that I say? Jeezuz Keeeerist....

Edited by willtill 2014-02-09 5:29 PM
gerhardberger
Posted 2014-02-10 3:01 AM (#151192 - in reply to #151105)

Puddle Jumper

Madrid, --- Spain
When my bike's cold AND if I leave the bike leaned on it's sidestand, the engine makes some valve tap noise, but disapperes after seveal seconds. If I start the engine with me already mounted (vertical), no noise comes from the engine.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-02-10 5:45 AM (#151193 - in reply to #151185)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
willtill - 2014-02-09 5:25 PM

Arkainzeye - 2014-02-09 8:02 AM

We are not talking about "rev'ing" the engine. We are talking about increasing the idle RPM's to a couple of hundred more; on a cold engine with thick, cold oil. Lloydz has recommended the same thing on a cold start up; of a cold motor.

And you know what pilgrim? It works. The tapping/knocking goes away almost instantly when increasing the idle by a couple of rpm for the first 20 seconds or so after start up; than if you just let the Vic motor idle as the ECM tells it to.

You wanna hear knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock...? At idle?

Or just: knock-knock-knock-no knock... with a couple of hundred RPM added to help the oil up quicker into the top end of that engine?

Monkeyman - 2014-02-09 3:38 PM

willtill - 2014-02-08 5:57 PM

You need to go back and throw a brick through their window...

Great idea! No sense in going home when you're done. Just sit there and wait on the cops (and the dealerships lawyer). The good news is that it's probably only a misdemeanor so you probably won't go to prison.

Yes, take EVERYTHING literally that I say? Jeezuz Keeeerist....

well let me ask you this.. what does your OWNERS MANUAL say the recommend viscosity is for when you do a oil change..?? considering everyone is saying this noise is related to the amount of time it takes for the oil to get (up top) and then fill the hydraulic lifters..
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-02-10 6:42 PM (#151210 - in reply to #151105)

Visionary

Vic does not say tappets will not knock till oil gets there. What does it matter it takes "time". 20/50 would be slower then 10/40 and 5/30 would just not cool a bit
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-02-10 7:31 PM (#151212 - in reply to #151105)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Im sorry i must have been incorrect with my assumptions. =( What does the Tappets/ lifters use to adjust themselves? And what ever it uses to adjust the valves why doesnt this "Instantly" happen as soon as the starter button is pressed? What is it taking so long to quiet the noise down? Whats happening until the noise is quieted down?
tmoore
Posted 2014-02-11 12:05 AM (#151217 - in reply to #151105)

Puddle Jumper

Madison/Huntsville, AL
<p>Back to the OP... Like many, I had the issue crop up. It was just once, at my first oil change. I let the oil drain for something like an hour and a half because I got busy with something else. Probably drained oil from places that rarely drain. I cranked up the motor and the knocking was very loud and disturbing. It pretty quickly got fainter and fainter though, and went a away for good after about 10 seconds. I did some digging and found a thread or two like this one and was comforted that it was 'an oil thing' and not uncommon. Before the brick, the letter, or the facebook flaming, I'd recommend printing this thread and/or others on the topic and slipping it in your back pocket. Talk to the dealer, I'd suggest sales manager over shop manager (the former wants to make future sales, the latter doesn't want to look ignorant or crooked), and tell them you've learned this noise has been noted by other Vision (106?) owners, it's an oil circulation issue, and it won't be fixed by replacing parts. And, ask politely for a refund. Politely meaning you understand they can't always know everything. See how it goes. On a tangent, a big problem I've seen for Vic over the years is the shortage of competent Victory mechanics. They have guys that work on four wheelers spend a few days (?) to get certified to be the senior/expert Victory mechanic for 50-100 miles around. And even then he works on four wheelers 4.5 days a week and Victory motorcycles .5. I'm not bitching, I'm lamenting. Bottom line, return to the dealer in question and diplomatically/sympathetically suggest they either screwed up or screwed you. Either way you shouldn't pay the charges mentioned in the OP.</p>

Edited by tmoore 2014-02-11 12:09 AM
MYVEGASVISION
Posted 2014-02-13 11:47 PM (#151339 - in reply to #151105)

Puddle Jumper

Las Vegas, Nevada

Thanks again all, I will let you know how my visit with them goes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™