You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

trailering the Vision
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Rick 106
Posted 2014-02-05 2:32 PM (#151050)
Subject: trailering the Vision

Cruiser

Hi. Getting ready to move from SoCal to Colorado. I will have to put the bike and a tow behind cargo trailer on a UHaul utility trailer. I plan to mount a roll on stand or wheel chock for the front wheel and a chock for the rear. Has anyone done this? How did you attach the chocks to the trailer? Any input is appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
atvtinker
Posted 2014-02-05 2:50 PM (#151051 - in reply to #151050)
Subject: Re: trailering the Vision

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Will the UHaul trailer have an E-trak inside? If you can, see if you can specify to get one. Then buy a Pingle chock that will fit an E-Trak and it will make it a lot simpler. Otherwise, you are going to have to find a wheel chock with a wide spread base because I'm pretty sure they are not going to let you drill holes in floor to mount a regular chock and that is pretty much the only way I would haul a bike as far as you are talking about.
Scotr3
Posted 2014-02-05 3:01 PM (#151052 - in reply to #151050)

Puddle Jumper

Moweaqua, IL United States
I used one of these from Harbor Freight.
It works good to hold the bike up in the garage too. no side stand needed.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/mot...
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-02-05 5:13 PM (#151056 - in reply to #151050)

Visionary

Look in owners book it will show there is a loop under headlight where you can put soft tie threw and hook tie downs.
Run them to front of trailer and snug down good. Trailer place might have wheel chock.
For back end put one tie down on each tip over and hook to trailer. The thing your doing in the back is keeping it from hoping side ways.
Look on youtube there are plenty of videos
ljurgens
Posted 2014-02-05 5:24 PM (#151058 - in reply to #151056)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

johnnyvision - 2014-02-05 5:13 PM Look in owners book it will show there is a loop under headlight where you can put soft tie threw and hook tie downs. Run them to front of trailer and snug down good. Trailer place might have wheel chock. For back end put one tie down on each tip over and hook to trailer. The thing your doing in the back is keeping it from hoping side ways. Look on youtube there are plenty of videos

I did exactly this when I went to pick my new bike up this past November.

Tie down through the loop in the front, I had built a wooden wheel holder for the front wheel.
Then a tie down on each side from the tip-overs in the rear. The bike never budged for 450 miles.

ljurgens
Posted 2014-02-05 5:26 PM (#151059 - in reply to #151052)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

Scotr3 - 2014-02-05 3:01 PM I used one of these from Harbor Freight. It works good to hold the bike up in the garage too. no side stand needed. http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/mot...

This looks good, looks like there is no need to drill into trailer. Did you just snug it down tight with the tie-down in front ?

Rick 106
Posted 2014-02-05 5:58 PM (#151063 - in reply to #151050)

Cruiser

thanks everyone. never hauled one like this before.
Scotr3
Posted 2014-03-03 3:54 PM (#151910 - in reply to #151059)

Puddle Jumper

Yes, no holes unless you want to, it is also adjustable for differeent sized front wheels.
Oldman47
Posted 2014-03-04 4:03 AM (#151932 - in reply to #151050)

Tourer

Central Illinois
I just had my Vision taken to the dealer for warranty work. The towing company used a flat bed with a thing called a Condor. It was a lot like the Harbor Freight tool but was a bit longer and had a proper entry ramp, so it was easier to load. I have no idea what they paid for it.
RedRider
Posted 2014-03-04 4:25 AM (#151934 - in reply to #151050)

Visionary

Why not just rent the M/C trailer from U-Haul? Bike fits nice and is very secure. They have 2 styles that I know of. One it built just for M/Cs. The other is just a regular trailer that has a notch for the front wheel in it. Make sure the tailgate has 2 position lock. If you can only put it all the way up it might hit the trunk.
Scotr3
Posted 2014-03-05 2:35 PM (#152001 - in reply to #151932)

Puddle Jumper

the condor's are real nice! and expensive! the Condor that is just the wheel chock like the HF one goes for $300+. they have another model I have seen used for the towing industry, i'd hate to see the cost of it!
Rick 106
Posted 2014-03-05 2:43 PM (#152002 - in reply to #151050)

Cruiser

I was looking at using the enclosed trailer to keep the bike safe since we are stopping for a night. Also, I have a MC tow behind trailer that i need to put on the trailer with the bike. I just got the Harbor Freight stand. My brother trailers bikes to shows and recomended Gator straps, so i need to get those too.
Tom13
Posted 2014-03-06 5:58 AM (#152015 - in reply to #151050)

Cruiser

I have the exact same Harbor Freight set up for my enclosed trailer. My trailer has a wooden floor and I did run some screws to hold the stand in place on the trailer floor. I would recommend not just securing the bike off the stand, using another point on the trailer floor. Pulled it over 1000 miles and not one problem rode great!! One thing that you may want to pick up at any auto parts store or dept.. I use a couple of those seat belt shoulder pads to put around the strap where the front fender is to protect the paint while towing.

When at the house I move the stand to the garage floor and use it to park the VV next to the car. Standing straight up it makes much more room to get around it working better then expected for 60 bucks. The only thing I found with this stand is the drop into lock position is a little deep in the garage on the flat floor so I had to shim under the front tire to make it a little easier to get it back out of the chock position.

Edited by Tom13 2014-03-06 6:07 AM
Scotr3
Posted 2014-03-07 3:12 PM (#152049 - in reply to #152015)

Puddle Jumper

yeah forgot to mention the little block i use in the garage. I went to Walmart bought some bath towels and had the wife sew them around my straps. Yes do no strap down only to the stand, I added 4 tie off points on my trailer. If you are only doing 1 bike on the trailer, I made the rear ones nice and wide.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™