You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Squeaky Shock
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

marcparnes
Posted 2013-10-14 1:17 PM (#146660)
Subject: Squeaky Shock

Iron Butt

During out 11K mile trip I noticed that most mornings the shock had kind of a groan in it when bouncing the bike up and down. Once I had ridden it a few miles the noise stopped. Most of those mornings it was fairly cool out like 50F or less. Now that I'm home and its in the garage the noise is gone. The dealer in ND checked it out while replacing the tires and it is definitely in the shock itself and not the linkage. Anybody else ever hear about something like this?

Marc
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2013-10-14 1:20 PM (#146661 - in reply to #146660)
Subject: Re: Squeaky Shock

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

nope, double check your upper bushing on the push link. You'll have to remove it to get a good look at it. Jack it up, remove the tire, push the pivot axle out and the whole assembly will come out. (Use the book, please). Mine started exactly that way and eventually worked into the link itself. Victory does not have a replacement for that bushing, but if you measure, you could order one for it and replace it, or just replace the whole link.

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14523&posts=19&start=1

Edited by varyder 2013-10-14 1:22 PM
marcparnes
Posted 2013-10-14 1:28 PM (#146662 - in reply to #146661)

Iron Butt

Hi Chris,
While the dealer had the wheel off and the lower shock bolt out we moved the swingarm up and down and there was no noise or roughness. Doing it that way isolated the shock. Based on that we assumed the problem was in the shock and not the linkage. Thinking it through again, its possible it could be the link making noise but only when there's a load on it. Our test was unloaded. Bike only had 25K miles on it at the time. On yours, did the noise go away after you rode it a few miles? Also, mine only does it when its been sitting out all night and cold.

Marc
varyder
Posted 2013-10-14 2:03 PM (#146665 - in reply to #146660)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
identical symptoms. Here's a test, pull the seat, spray WD40 all on the top of the push link, making sure you get it down in the joint. Then see if the squeaky goes away for a few days. What you're having is steel against steel rubbing. I've got a few post asking awhile back. I had about 80,000 when my started squeaking and it only got worse, nerve plucking the more I rode it. Of course I tried to FIX it, but there was no fixing it at that point.
marcparnes
Posted 2013-10-14 2:05 PM (#146670 - in reply to #146660)

Iron Butt

Ok, I'll leave it outside tonight and see if I get the squeak in the morning. I'm not sure if its cool enough here yet but I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Marc
Oldman47
Posted 2013-10-14 5:37 PM (#146684 - in reply to #146660)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Hey don't you groan a bit for the first few miles in the morning? Give it a break. Once the bike is fully awake the noise goes away.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-10-14 7:02 PM (#146689 - in reply to #146660)

Visionary

there should be a plastick bushing if the pivot arm. Maybe it shot or not there 

Edited by johnnyvision 2013-10-14 7:03 PM
varyder
Posted 2013-10-14 9:00 PM (#146692 - in reply to #146660)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
There's 5 pivot points, 1) Where the shock piston is attached to the left swing arm, 2) The top of the shock at the pivot arm, 3)the pivot arm on needle bearings on the rod, 4)top of the push rod, 5) bottom of the push rod on the right swing arm. After examining this, the major point of failure is #4, this is what will give you the most grief. It seems like Polaris wants to sell you the whole unit, but replacing the push rod is most like the first thing you'll need to do unless your shock is shot and leaking air.
marcparnes
Posted 2013-10-14 9:43 PM (#146695 - in reply to #146660)

Iron Butt

Hi Chris,
This being a cold weather, overnight problem creates kind of a problem to diagnose it. On our trip it squeaked/groaned every morning for a few miles as long as it was pretty cold overnight. It's not doing it here and I just checked our low for tonight which is predicted to be 59F. That won't do it. I hesitate to start taking things apart or to WD the top parts until I can get it to squeak otherwise I won't know if I actually fixed anything. I like the WD idea, though. That's a good one.

Marc
pcvtx
Posted 2013-10-28 7:18 PM (#148261 - in reply to #146660)

Puddle Jumper

Palm Coast Fl.
Mine started squeaking on a trip from Florida to New Mexico and back. Drove me nuts! I sprayed all the bushings with white lithium grease when I got back and solved the noise for a few months. Squeaking started again on a trip to Tenn. Soaked again when I got home but noise is back in just a month. We may have a problem! Only 24000 miles.
marcparnes
Posted 2013-10-28 7:53 PM (#148263 - in reply to #148261)

Iron Butt

pcvtx - 2013-10-28 5:18 PM

Mine started squeaking on a trip from Florida to New Mexico and back. Drove me nuts! I sprayed all the bushings with white lithium grease when I got back and solved the noise for a few months. Squeaking started again on a trip to Tenn. Soaked again when I got home but noise is back in just a month. We may have a problem! Only 24000 miles.

Bummer! Did you lube the pivot assembly under the seat as well? Mine only does it after sitting out in the cold all night but its still not cold enough here for it to start squeaking. I asked Mike, the tech at SoCal Victory, and he thought it might be coming from the top pivot. He says there are two plastic pieces in there but I don't see them in the fiche unless they're the seals pictured.

Marc
varyder
Posted 2013-10-28 8:43 PM (#148266 - in reply to #146660)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
It's the top of the push rod, the steel pivot bearing.
varyder
Posted 2013-10-30 7:59 AM (#148318 - in reply to #146660)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Let me clarify, the steel pivot bushing/bearing is shot, kaput, unrepairable. If it is worn to much, it is eating into your link. Polaris/Victory does not have a replacement for the pivot bushing/bearing. If you look hard enough you might find a replace part to drive in there, it's somewhat standard with racing suspension. But, the easiest is just get the replacement link and be done with it.
marcparnes
Posted 2014-02-04 2:07 PM (#151026 - in reply to #148318)

Iron Butt

Just a follow-up to the squeaky shock syndrome. I took my bike in today at 35,000 miles to have the leaky shock replaced. In the process the tech disassembled, inspected and re-greased all the components. Turns out everything looked perfect. Now I'm wondering if the squeak was actually coming from the shock itself when cold like between the shaft and seal which eventually ended up with them failing. I'll have to see if the squeak comes back after a while. Just as an aside, the bike rides a lot stiffer now with the same amount of air in it. I'm hoping the shock components just need to be wear in a little.

Marc
jimtom
Posted 2014-02-16 5:29 AM (#151380 - in reply to #151026)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
Mine squeaks too. I don't hear it while riding , just when I first saddle up and compress suspension.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™