You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

500 mile break in; what do you recommend?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

bigwill5150
Posted 2008-07-24 12:40 PM (#14325)
Subject: 500 mile break in; what do you recommend?

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
So, I buy this awesome bike and now I'm afraid to put any more miles on it. First of all, I live over 300mi away from the dealership where I bought it and they are the closest dealer to me. The bike had 600+mi on it on the floor because the dealership owner used it as a commuter to work (what a rip off). It was the only Street Primo (the package I wanted) and it already had the stage 1, level 2 pipes (big bonus). I figure that, since they won't "demo special" it due to miles they at least paid for the break in service. The salesperson told me he thought that it was done already. I asked all these questions and made it known that I did not intend to come back to the dealership for maintenance service soon becuase it is a long distance. I closed the place down getting signed over and such, so they were shutting off the lights (therefore pressuring me to leave). It was on a Saturday, so I am sure they were all eager to get home and start their weekend (which is fine, they all have families too). But... I get home and NO paperwork regarding the break in shows up with the expedited MSO and other papers. A quick call confirmed that they had NOT in fact done the break in. This was at the 2200mi point. I get back from crew rotation off shore and now they can't fit me into their schedule before I leave again. They are willing to let me come in and wait this Saturday in the chances that they have the time to get to my bike. I was also told that the 500 mi. break was not a "big deal" and I'd be fine so long as I didn't take it past the 2500 mi service. So I am now at the 2520mi point and I am letting it collect dust until trailering her (a sin) for fear of voiding the warranty. I'm at my wits end here! If they don't "get to my bike" Saturday, I'm hosed after driving 300+mi pulling a trailer; with oh-so-cheap fuel prices to boot! The salesmen was a part-timer who does not work there any longer. Any ideas what to do here if this goes South? My only thoughts are to get an attorney involved at that point. I really don't wanna do that because; in the end, only the attorney will truely win. I'm not trying to play the "child who has to have his way", but I did not pay over $21K for a bike to sit in the garage either. I'm afraid if I call Polaris to gain a little leverage with the dealership, they will void the warranty on the spot.

Edited by bigwill5150 2008-07-24 12:52 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
HONDAFIXER
Posted 2008-07-24 12:52 PM (#14326 - in reply to #14325)
Subject: Re: 500 mile break in; what do you recommend?

Cruiser

LONDONDERRY NH
The first service is basically a glorified oil change. Just change the oil, check the belt tension, tire pressures and give the rest of the bike a once over
Bikertrash666
Posted 2008-07-24 2:16 PM (#14335 - in reply to #14326)

Cruiser

I agree with bar hopper just chage the oil and filter and give it the once over. ( keep all your recipes) You will be fine, maybe due the next change a little sooner. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Bob
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-07-24 8:00 PM (#14350 - in reply to #14325)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
You guys don't think this will void the warranty?
Big Vic
Posted 2008-07-24 8:13 PM (#14354 - in reply to #14325)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
You didn't help the bike any, but you didn't hurt it either. Dump the oil, screw on a new filter and replace the washer. Ride her until you can get it to the dealer for a glance over. The only thing that should be needed is to adjust the belt tension.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-07-24 8:54 PM (#14356 - in reply to #14325)

Visionary

So Cal
Save the reciept for the oil and filter and write the milage on it also. Put it in a safe place. NO warranty specifies that the service has to be done by the dealer. Wouldnt sell many vehicles if they did.
Banjo
Posted 2008-07-24 9:20 PM (#14359 - in reply to #14325)
Subject: RE: 500 mile break in; what do you recommend?

Tourer

Change oil and filter and ride...2500 miles..repeat
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-24 9:57 PM (#14364 - in reply to #14325)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I live near 3 victory dealers. My dealer told me just to change my own oil and go over everything in the manual as far as what needs checked. he said the samething and others... Glorified oil change.. And the 500 mile service is Not cheap! If you change your own oil. just save the receipts to the oil and filter you purchased... (just to CYA)
Len Rhymes
Posted 2008-07-24 10:05 PM (#14365 - in reply to #14364)

Jacksonville Florida
I think everyone is on the right track. If you don't want to change it yourself take it to a local bike shop and like the riders have said save your receipt and log it in your owners maual.
dwhite28
Posted 2008-07-25 12:49 AM (#14374 - in reply to #14325)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
If you really want something out of it, make the dealer overnight or UPS the Victory oil change kit to you. I would still call Polaris and complain about the dealership for lying to you in this manner and causing distress. The least the dealer can do it give you the 65 dollar oil change kit and ship it to you house free of charge. ps, i am a Victory Tech and i have seen our dealership have me stop what i am doing just to take care of someone in your situation. Only takes me an hour for a full 500 mile service/inspection and that includes me taking it out for a quick 6 mile test ride.
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-07-25 2:37 PM (#14395 - in reply to #14325)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Thanks dwhite. I'm trailered up and ready to go. At least I know its no biggie if they don't get me in for the 500mi break-in. I already bought the filters. As far as oil goes, I'll just pick some synthetic or blended up at the local stores. In the future, I had planned on doing all the maintenance I can possibly do. I was just leary of the break-in inspection not being performed. Guess this stems from way back when they used to actually look at the valves and stuff. Of course, no one does that these days.
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-07-27 5:50 PM (#14510 - in reply to #14325)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
**Update** The dealership had actually waited for an opening and then they pencilled me in. They had me done by about 4 hours later and on the road. The whole thing ran $109. Not bad. Biker's Edge in Wichita came through and made things right. Thanks for all the input.
TexasVision
Posted 2008-07-28 9:53 PM (#14598 - in reply to #14325)

Cruiser

Leander,Texas
if you get the chance even when you doing nothing ..periodically stop by your dealer or a bike shop and have you tire pressures checked regularly. Vision are notorious for running odd when tire pressures are not factory spec.....FYI
TexasVision
Posted 2008-07-28 9:53 PM (#14599 - in reply to #14325)

Cruiser

Leander,Texas
if you get the chance even when you doing nothing ..periodically stop by your dealer or a bike shop and have you tire pressures checked regularly. Vision are notorious for running odd when tire pressures are not factory spec.....FYI
rainmaker
Posted 2008-07-28 10:58 PM (#14607 - in reply to #14599)

Cruiser

Eden Prairie, MN
Hey Tex,
Good advice about tire pressures. You should always ride with properly inflated tires. Check them every week and more frequently when the average daily temperature changes by more than 10 degrees. No bike handles well with improperly inflated tires. Visions are not unusual that way.
rainmaker
Posted 2008-07-28 11:10 PM (#14608 - in reply to #14510)

Cruiser

Eden Prairie, MN
bigwill5150 - 2008-07-27 4:50 PM

**Update** The dealership had actually waited for an opening and then they pencilled me in. They had me done by about 4 hours later and on the road. The whole thing ran $109. Not bad. Biker's Edge in Wichita came through and made things right. Thanks for all the input.

I'm really glad to hear you got that worked out with your dealer. I like to know my bike has had all the stuff checked and maintained when I'm doing 80+ or leaning into the twisty roads along the river.

If you like to do your own work or at least know what is being done, order a service manual and then you'll always have the option to make the checks your self. I usually let the Dealer do the tough stuff and saftey related things but I like to read about what they are doing.

But I try to keep up on T-Clocs at least once a week:
http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-CLOCSInspectionChecklist.pdf
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-07-29 12:09 AM (#14610 - in reply to #14608)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Roger that Rainmaker. I believe in service manuals before all other accessories are bought. They've ALWAYS saved me more money than I paid for them in broken parts, not to mention the extra labor it takes to figure out how these things come apart. My manual is already beat up and I've only had the bike a 7 weeks (4 of which I was offshore working). I really appreciate the great favor Victory did it's patrons by not keeping that manual proprietary to the techs. In fact, they referenced the service manual and it's P/N in the front of the owner's manual. The tire pressure is also a good point. I REALLY need to get in that habit. Tubeless tires are very convenient but once our tire bead lock is gone on the highway, we're going to the pavement for sure! I get cocky and forget about it until I have my girlfiriend on the back. Then I start to feel guilty about not bothering to check it. Leaves a lot up to chance! I really appreciate all the input that was offered in this thread. Thanks for all the great advice eveyone!
-Will
Newfie
Posted 2008-07-29 2:24 AM (#14614 - in reply to #14607)

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
One point I would like to add about checking you tire pressure.....be careful if you are using the pressure gauge that came with the bike as your only gauge to check your tires.

I found that mine was reading about 4-5PSI high. When I first received my Vision, I was regularly using the gauge that came with the bike and keeping my tires at 40rear and 38front. When I happened to check them with a digital gauge I had in my wifes car the pressure was about 4-5PSI low in both. I used a third gauge I had in my garage to verify and sure enough the digital gauge was right on the money and the gauge that came with the bike was wrong. I threw mine in the garbage that same day.

It may be just a fluke with the gauge that came with my bike but I thought I would pass this along.
RedRider
Posted 2008-07-29 6:15 AM (#14616 - in reply to #14325)

Visionary

It seems someone had bought a Vision Service Manual. Maybe they could post a printable copy of the maintenance checklist? I think this would help when something like this happens. An owner could print it out and check all the things and just mark them off when done. Then staple the receipts for oil and whatever with it. These would make a nice permanent record.

Glad to hear your dealer came through for you. One thing to remember as you go through life have the dealer/salesman write down all the promises. Ex: I got the extended warranty on my '99. They said I did not need a copy. I said I paid for it and I wasn't leaving without it. Couple years later I needed the tranny upgrade and they were out of business. Lloyd called and said there was no record of me buying the extended warranty. I faxed him a copy and all was good.
Rebel
Posted 2008-07-29 9:35 AM (#14623 - in reply to #14325)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Pages 133-137 of your owner's manual has the maintenance checklist. After that is a handy maintenance log.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™