You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Lower wind deflectors adjustments
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

pollolittle
Posted 2008-07-23 9:08 AM (#14209)
Subject: Lower wind deflectors adjustments

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Having not seen these in person, I was a little hesitant to purchase online. Dealer got some in and I took a peek. Liked what I saw and purchased them. Installed per directions seems okay so far.

Question - They don't look turned out as far as one would think they would go. They hit along the pressure screw on the mounting bracket and don't extend out to what looks like a stop on the bracket. They seem to fold all the way into the body though.

The one's that others have seem to be turned way out almost horizontal to the rider. Mine are more at a 45 degree angle from the front of the bike. Like it just extends the front fairing. Just inquiring to make sure I am doing it the right way.

Why does this feel like I got the old ones?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DesertJim
Posted 2008-07-23 3:28 PM (#14238 - in reply to #14209)
Subject: RE: Lower wind deflectors adjustments

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
pollolittle - 2008-07-23 7:08 AM

Having not seen these in person, I was a little hesitant to purchase online. Dealer got some in and I took a peek. Liked what I saw and purchased them. Installed per directions seems okay so far.

Question - They don't look turned out as far as one would think they would go. They hit along the pressure screw on the mounting bracket and don't extend out to what looks like a stop on the bracket. They seem to fold all the way into the body though.

The one's that others have seem to be turned way out almost horizontal to the rider. Mine are more at a 45 degree angle from the front of the bike. Like it just extends the front fairing. Just inquiring to make sure I am doing it the right way.

Why does this feel like I got the old ones?

I think you did get the old ones- There is a PECKING order for who gets what - I noticed that Tenn, W Virginia, and Kentucky were last on the list. Are yours cardboard? When you say "installed per directions" that is pretty subjective for you - maybe read them again- ggrinnin and chucklein while I post this Pooooty!- Miss bustin your chops for sure- Where's Bucky?

Thanks for the post to inquire if you are doing it right - cause I have no idea-
pollolittle
Posted 2008-07-24 8:27 AM (#14311 - in reply to #14209)
Subject: Re: Lower wind deflectors adjustments

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I've missed you so much myself, where have you been. FYI, they're not cardboard, they are very little pieces of plastic like saran wrap attached to a stiffer piece of cardboard. They don't hold their shape very well. I had to undo the large pieces of plexiglas off the mounts just to get those on. Not very happy with the 200+ dollars. So confused.
dtoddrship
Posted 2008-07-25 1:31 PM (#14392 - in reply to #14209)

Cruiser

Austin, Texas
Are these the new 2009 lower air deflectors or the small triangular deflectors that fit just under the cowl under the handlebar level? Riding in TX it gets really hot. The smaller deflectors aren't helping. I just ordered the "Lower Air Deflectors" part #2876259-266, $229.99 and haven't seen them yet. I hope to get some air on my legs so my right leg can stop cooking.
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-25 3:42 PM (#14396 - in reply to #14209)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
dtoddrship,

Where are you located in Texas? I am in San Antonio. I do not have the lower deflectors but I am going to get them. I have the Highway Pegs and they help a bunch plus I have leathers that covers my legs from the knees to the shoes. This keeps my dockers from cooking on the pipes on the way to work.
Code Blue
Posted 2008-07-26 1:25 AM (#14417 - in reply to #14209)

Puddle Jumper

I saw a pic of these in black is that possible and if so whats the pn#, those are the ones I would like...
Dirtybubble
Posted 2008-07-27 3:30 AM (#14480 - in reply to #14417)

The Poconos
Code Blue,

I believe those were painted black. As far as I know they come clear.
dtoddrship
Posted 2008-07-27 3:35 PM (#14503 - in reply to #14209)

Cruiser

Austin, Texas
Radioteacher, I am in S. Austin. I'm concerned both about the slacks on the way to work and also, in winter, the 1st Gear brand cold suit I wear. That suit would melt if put within an inch of the pipes on my Kingpin. When I come to a stop my slacks are in fairly close proximity to the pipes.

Has anyone tried the Fieldsheer brand "burngaiters"? This also looks like a possible $30 solution.
dtoddrship
Posted 2008-07-27 3:35 PM (#14504 - in reply to #14209)

Cruiser

Austin, Texas
Radioteacher, I am in S. Austin. I'm concerned both about the slacks on the way to work and also, in winter, the 1st Gear brand cold suit I wear. That suit would melt if put within an inch of the pipes on my Kingpin. When I come to a stop my slacks are in fairly close proximity to the pipes.

Has anyone tried the Fieldsheer brand "burngaiters"? This also looks like a possible $30 solution.
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-27 6:58 PM (#14520 - in reply to #14209)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I bought some leathers that cover my legs from the knee to my shoes. They are just fancy leather tubes with a zipper and a Velcro strap that tightens around my upper calf. The zipper starts at the top and ends by my heal where is there is a snap for the zipper tab. This prevents the zipper from un-zipping during the ride.

The day before I bought the leathers on the ride home while using the highway pegs, my dockers blew up to just below my knees. My dress shoes and black work socks looked OK but my exposed hairy white legs were making many people giggle as I passed them.

The leathers only take two minutes to put on. I use the passenger floor board to rest my foot on while dressing.

So, the leathers serve many proposes. They protect my legs, shoes and pants from road debris, engine heat, exhaust pipe heat plus preserve what little dignity I still have left.

FYI, I made my first trip ever to Luckenbach today. 4 HD's and my Vision. It was fun.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-07-28 12:05 PM (#14575 - in reply to #14209)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I'm talking about the lowers you ordered. The black ones are painted, I'm agonna do the same. Installed them and went for a ride down to East Texas. It was hot this weekend. Probably the first time, I've been able to use the floorboards in the middle of summer, without cooking the right leg. Definitely worth the money. If I had to choose between highway pegs and the wind deflectors, I'd choose the wind deflectors. Money well spent. Brings air back to where you need it most and in a hurry.
dtoddrship
Posted 2008-07-28 1:31 PM (#14582 - in reply to #14209)

Cruiser

Austin, Texas
Radioteacher, do you remember the brand name on the leathers? That sounds like a possible solution over my melting raingear. And, I'm aware of the dignity damage as well. It is common to be riding home on Mopac here in Austin with my slacks blown up to my knees and my tanless hairy legs flapping in the breeze. Usually this is most common when I'm blowing the doors off the cars I pass. Good for a few laughs.

However, I'm encouraged by pollolittle's input. My lower deflectors are due in tomorrow or the next day.
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-28 11:29 PM (#14609 - in reply to #14209)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
dtoddrship,

They are made by FMC, First Manufacturing Co. Inc. Mine are XL/XXL in size. They are leather with a polyester lining.

PO# MO7-4104
Style# M 826

They have one silver looking Concho on the outside of each leg when you got the right on the right and the left on the left. I was thinking about cutting the Concho off but I decided to keep them.

A lot of people carry FMC so you should be able to find them. I bought mine at MotoLiberty San Antonio. It is a nice store and great guys that run it.

Here is their web site http://www.motoliberty.com/

I have put on 300 miles since Saturday night.

Take care,
pollolittle
Posted 2008-07-29 9:02 AM (#14621 - in reply to #14209)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
dtoddrship - I don't have the lower leathers like radioteacher. Just blue jeans and Heavy Leather boots. 2nd on my list of things to buy would be the highway pegs, easy to stretch to. They are the perfect size and stretch for me.
dtoddrship
Posted 2008-07-29 2:48 PM (#14642 - in reply to #14209)

Cruiser

Austin, Texas
pollolittle- I'm with you. I always wear blue jeans and either my leather boots or some hiking boots. I still get the burn on the right leg. This type of long distance bike should be comfortable. A run to Dallas from Austin in 100+ heat will flat fry your leg.

I think the main purpose for the lower leg leathers for me would be when I hit winter. On my Kingpin, I used a FirstGear insulated rain suit, as noted above. However, if this gets within an inch of the exhaust it melts instantly. I've patched it four times now and have a fifth spot to cover. I'm going to first try the Fieldsheer burngaiters 'cause they are cheaper and then get the leathers if that doesn't work.
proffsionl
Posted 2008-07-29 3:41 PM (#14646 - in reply to #14209)

Puddle Jumper

Austin, Texas
Okay, this leg heat thing really has me concerned. As a former BMW K1200LT (no heat), Honda Goldwing (some heat), Yamaha FJR1300 (a bit more heat) rider, I know what I experienced on the test rides (extreme heat) was a bit excessive. I know there are a myriad of reasons for this (all the tupperware around the engine, the fact it's air/oil cooled, leaner mixture for EPA, etc.

It's really too bad, since from my point of view, the Vision is the best tourer out there right now and the heat issue (for me) is the Achille's heel that will prevent me from buying. I'm sure it's nice to have the heat when it's cool out, but here in Texas we have 9 months of summer. I get even more concerned when someone's riding gear is melting due to it. I guess I find this unacceptable on a $20K touring bike.

Am I crazy or out of line on this thinking?

Kevin
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-29 3:46 PM (#14648 - in reply to #14209)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
pollolittle,

I only use the leathers on the way home from work. On the way to work it is cool enough to ride without the leathers and there is less stop and go traffic. On the way home it is +95 degrees and more stop and go traffic, so I put the leathers on to protect my dockers and dress shoes plus keep my pants from riding up when using the highway pegs. I still want to buy the lower deflectors.

When I go other places I wear jeans and Red Wing riding boots with a side zipper. Last night I took the wife to dinner and then we saw a friend in the hospital on the Vision. Why take the Trailblazer when the Vision is all you need and more fun.

Ride safe
Tarpits99
Posted 2008-07-29 4:21 PM (#14649 - in reply to #14209)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
I have not experienced any discomfort on my Vision that even remotely approaches the misery of riding my Harley in southern California traffic. When dealing with stop and go an Electra Glide puts out enough heat to parboil your posterior and posterity simultaneously.
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-29 8:11 PM (#14667 - in reply to #14209)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
One this I really like about the Victory line is no hot oil tank right under the seat!
proffsionl
Posted 2008-07-29 9:25 PM (#14675 - in reply to #14209)

Puddle Jumper

Austin, Texas
Well, heat concerns (and money concerns) aside, I bit the bullet and took delivery of my new '08 Midnight Cherry Red Tour Premium this evening.

What a great ride home!!!

Kevin
dwhite28
Posted 2008-07-29 10:03 PM (#14679 - in reply to #14209)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
Just from my point of view. I work at a Victory Dealership and have logged about 600 miles on the stock demo version and understand the heat issue on my right leg. I have also logged about the same amount of miles on our other demo that has the Stage1, level 2 exhaust. The S1L2 exhaust system lets the heat dissapate quicker so there is not as much heat on my right leg. Next week i am putting the money down on our demo with the S1L2 exhaust. Also i noticed on the Victory website when you build a Vision for quote purpose, there is an option for the lower deflector and it noted that it was black and not clear. Not sure what the final outcome will be when Victory settles on the final catalog for release.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-07-29 10:25 PM (#14681 - in reply to #14675)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
proffsionl - 2008-07-29 8:25 PM

Well, heat concerns (and money concerns) aside, I bit the bullet and took delivery of my new '08 Midnight Cherry Red Tour Premium this evening.

What a great ride home!!!

Kevin

Well Kevin, congrats on a great decision to get your Vision. Don't worry about the heat, just ride your new motorcycle. Heat concerns are all just a bunch of hipe, it is hot in some areas and your sitting on a large motor. There are ways to adjust your Vision to help you deal with the heat. If you ride in shorts, and in town, you will feel the heat, so you may not be happy. But if you do what you need to make a difference you will be happy with the bike. Yesterday, I rode for 300 miles in 100 to 105 temperatures, I had no issues with my legs, but my face felt really hot from the sun. Take care and enjoy your new ride.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-07-30 8:29 AM (#14693 - in reply to #14209)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I'm not trying to HYPE any heat. It is hot, but like most have said what ain't in summer, especially 106 cu in engine. The hottest place on me would be around knee to mid calf. Hot enough to be very noticeable, but not untolerable. The lower deflectors brought enough wind back to me right past this area to keep the uncomfortableness off.

I rode for one month, with nothing added. Next month, I bought the highway pegs, which I thought were awesome to keep my feet further away and move my knee a little farther out. With my feet and legs stuck out past the fairing, I was able to catch a little more wind.

The following month, I bought the wind deflectors, awesome with the ability to adjust where you want the wind and it brings a lot where you want it. The heat on the leg is basically nonexistent with the deflectors bringing air to you.

Push them and the small deflectors away so they block air and then you will find a lot of heat you never knew existed. It gets hot in a hurry. That's a small sidebar, had to try it.

Kevin, glad you made the jump and bit the bullet. Git'R DuN!
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-30 5:48 PM (#14720 - in reply to #14209)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Kevin,

Congratulations! Cigars for everyone.

The odometer tripped over 1000 miles today on the way to lunch. I received it 27 days ago but it spent 5 days in the shop getting outfitted and 2 days on the garage for rain. Average 50 miles a day, not bad.
firehawk
Posted 2008-07-31 5:36 PM (#14849 - in reply to #14209)

Cruiser

College Station, Tx
I am a bit un-educated in this area but would wrapping your exhaust with that cloth looking stuff help the heat issue? Has anyone tried it?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™