You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Gear train noise
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

MRG
Posted 2008-07-09 11:17 AM (#13193)
Subject: Gear train noise

Cruiser

Hi All,

I recently picked up my bike from the dealer who installed a set of new pipes. I'm not sure if the noise was there before or if it is from the pipe install but I can hear a distinct noise coming from the drive train. It almost sounds like the belt is to tight or something is too tight in the tranny. I can't pin point while riding the bike but I'm sure it is the drive train. I checked the belt tension and it is tight as a drum and I'm not sure if that is correct. Can someone tell me how to check the tension? Is there something else I should check? Any help will be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Teach
Posted 2008-07-09 12:33 PM (#13199 - in reply to #13193)
Subject: Re: Gear train noise

Visionary

There is a belt tension gage that is suppose to be used to check tension BUT if your belt is TIGHT, its too tight. You should be able to lift on the bottom of the belt 3 inches forward of the belt guard and have a good 3/4 inch of upward travel. Less than that and you are too tight.
However, my guess is what you are now hearing is brake rub. Easy enough to confirm. Take the bike for a spin and put it in 3rd gear at 2k rpms. The bike should sound and feel very smooth with no load. If you are hearing a noise as described, either your brakes are the culprit or you have a definite issue the dealer will need to address.

Edited by Teach 2008-07-09 12:34 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™