You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Tipovers do work!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

DecTec
Posted 2008-07-07 10:53 AM (#13023)
Subject: Tipovers do work!!

Cruiser

Pocono Mountains of PA
Well, I found out on the V2V ride last Thursday the the tipovers DO work, even at 25 mph!!!

I was makeing a left turn in Jersy when my rear tire locked and down I slid. There was no damage, except pride, to the Vision. There were a few scraped on the underside of the tipovers, but that's all. Thanks again to all on the V2V leg 14 & 14 for a fantastic time.

And a special thanks to the engineers for the tipovers...

Now come a serious question. Is there an inertia switch on the vision that will cut off the motor if it tips over. Here is the reason for the question. Once when I was downshifting during a sharp left turn the motor stopped, but I was not in gear, and costed thru the turn. I tried to catch in gear and it wouldn't do it. All electrical still functioned (radio, lights,...etc). I had the dealer check everything and put it on the electronic workbench. Everything checke out OK. no errors and switch recall was in place.

This again was a sharp left turn, downshifting just as I entered it, but the rear locked up. When I was down, the motor was off, electric on.

Don't ask me how, but I have noticed that if at a stop and the bike ends up on the tipover the motor stops. Is there a switch or sensor that will kill the motor ip tipped over a specific amount, and could this be causeing my left turn fate??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
luzzy
Posted 2008-07-07 11:38 AM (#13027 - in reply to #13023)
Subject: RE: Tipovers do work!!

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
Slider(sorry - couldn't resist),

As the guy in the front, I missed the event - only seeing you up and giving me the thumbs up. I have a couple of theories on your adventure. One being a possible multi downshift,rear brake application and stall in rapid succession. That being said , most likely you applied the brakes momentarily before you went down without pulling the clutch in. Stop the rear wheel with the engine running and clutch not engaged, and it will stall every time.

I hope the margaritas later that evening helped and in spite of the busting we gave you - we were all very happy that both you and your Vision came away unscathed!
varyder
Posted 2008-07-07 12:02 PM (#13029 - in reply to #13023)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
DecTec glad you made it through okay. I don't know about the lay over cutoff, but I know that when it cuts off it will not refire unless you hit the start button. I had mine die and I let out the clutch but it refused to refire by rolling on the tire. I hit the starter button and away she went. I think there is a lot of things we still need to learn. Also, it reveals the fact that if the battery dies, you won't start it by pushing or rolling down a hill.
DecTec
Posted 2008-07-07 12:07 PM (#13030 - in reply to #13027)

Cruiser

Pocono Mountains of PA
Thanks Mark!!

Yea, the Margarittas helped fix the ego injuries.....

I was just courious if there was any cut off's involved. Could just be a coincidence that both were left turns....

Edited by DecTec 2008-07-07 12:08 PM
devilboy
Posted 2008-07-07 12:22 PM (#13031 - in reply to #13030)

Cruiser

Central Florida
I dont believe there is a cutoff. They do that on Japanese bikes. If you drop a Honda, you have to turn key off, remove from ignition, stand the bike up and restart.
Twice in tight manuevers @less than 3 mph(once left and once right) my Vision went over.. motor kept running.
cw1115
Posted 2008-07-07 1:02 PM (#13032 - in reply to #13023)
Subject: Re: Tipovers do work!!

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I put mine on the tipovers in a parking lot. Like you, big hit to the ego. Mine did not cut off, but my oil light did come on. Guess the pump wasn't picking up. Every once in a while, usally when it's cold, it will stall as I slow for a stop.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-07-07 6:17 PM (#13059 - in reply to #13023)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
DecTec, I don't know how new your Visions is or the S/N, but there have been stalls with the early S/N Visions. Also, don't know what bike your used to riding in the past, but the Vision does not like throttle blips between shifts. Throttle blips or quick chop of the throttle have been known to stall the motor, if that happen and you let the clutch out after the shift, rear wheel wants to stop, quickly pull in the clutch and hit the start button. Take care.
rainmaker
Posted 2008-07-10 12:03 AM (#13274 - in reply to #13023)

Cruiser

Eden Prairie, MN
DecTec - 2008-07-07 9:53 AM

Well, I found out on the V2V ride last Thursday the the tipovers DO work, even at 25 mph!!!

I was makeing a left turn in Jersy when my rear tire locked and down I slid. There was no damage, except pride, to the Vision. There were a few scraped on the underside of the tipovers, but that's all. Thanks again to all on the V2V leg 14 & 14 for a fantastic time.

And a special thanks to the engineers for the tipovers...

Now come a serious question. Is there an inertia switch on the vision that will cut off the motor if it tips over. Here is the reason for the question. Once when I was downshifting during a sharp left turn the motor stopped, but I was not in gear, and costed thru the turn. I tried to catch in gear and it wouldn't do it. All electrical still functioned (radio, lights,...etc). I had the dealer check everything and put it on the electronic workbench. Everything checke out OK. no errors and switch recall was in place.

This again was a sharp left turn, downshifting just as I entered it, but the rear locked up. When I was down, the motor was off, electric on.

Don't ask me how, but I have noticed that if at a stop and the bike ends up on the tipover the motor stops. Is there a switch or sensor that will kill the motor ip tipped over a specific amount, and could this be causeing my left turn fate??

There is service bulletin for the ignition switch The electrical contact plate on the ignition switch base may not be properly secured to the ignition switch body, which can cause a loss of electrical power to the vehicle. A loss of electricalpower could cause the vehicle to stall. The number is V-08-01 and if the dealer has done it there should be a sticker on the underside of your rear console cover.

Also, there may be an update available for your fuel map that eliminates the stalling problem mentined above. Have you dealer check it out.
BarryBennett
Posted 2008-07-14 12:30 AM (#13511 - in reply to #13023)

Cruiser

Columbia,MO
I tried them out twice so far and they worked fantastic. Both were at a stop. One on a steep concrete street and the other on a gravel turn off. Great Vision engineers!!!!!!
radioteacher
Posted 2008-07-14 3:21 AM (#13524 - in reply to #13023)
Subject: Re: Tipovers do work!!

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I just posted about my tip over experience in the General section. They are great. Why is this not standard on all heavy cruisers?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™