You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Colorado Trip
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Bearcat
Posted 2008-07-01 11:48 PM (#12721)
Subject: Colorado Trip

Cruiser

Prescott Valley, AZ
I'm looking at making a ride to the Million $ Hiway later this month from central AZ with side trips to Pueblo and Colorado Springs (Rocky Mountain Cycle) later this month on my MCTP. Looks like the AMA member site has a couple interesting roads worth riding, anybody else out there got any other roads I might be interested in????? Any suguestions would be appreciated!!

Ride Safe, Ride Often!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-07-02 7:52 AM (#12726 - in reply to #12721)
Subject: Re: Colorado Trip

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
If you are planning to ride from $1M Hwy to Co Springs via US Highway 50, you might want to make a detour from it to see Black Canyon of the Gunnison. It is about 65 miles west of the town of Gunnison. There is a road that goes to the bottom of the canyon that I hear is a fantastic road to cover on a motorcycle. I've been to/by Black Canyon numerous times, but only recently heard about the road to the bottom. It is on my list of rides for this summer. The ride over Monarch pass, heading east out of Gunnison is also quite nice.

Million Dollar Highway is a great ride. Just be sure to pay the proper attention to the road, and not to all the gorgeous scenery. Take advantage of the pullouts, and take your time. Hopefully you will not be covering this road on a weekend, as during the summer on weekends it is filled with tourists, sometimes in motor homes, freaking out and driving slowly because of the steep drop offs with no guardrails. It is much more pleasant to ride during the week.

McClure Pass, on Hwy 133, between Carbondale and Paonia is also a really nice ride. Long sweepers, commanding views, and not much traffic make this just the right combination for a very enjoyable ride.

If you like roads that are essentially EMPTY, with nice scenery, try CO114 that runs from just east of Gunnison to the tiny town of Saguache (pronounced "sa-watch". It is on the way to nowhere. I've ridden it and covered 20-25 miles of it without seeing another vehicle! The scenery is nice, not beautiful, and because of its emptiness, you can safely "open it up" if you like, as there are no surprises on this road - the view of the upcoming road is easy to safely figure out at speed. I've never seen a LEO on this road anytime I've ridden it.

I've got tons of rides that I love in this state. If you shoot me a PM with your expected route through Colorado, I might be able to provide a few more "side trip" recommendations.

RIDE SAFE AND ENJOY!!!
badnvegas
Posted 2008-07-02 7:59 PM (#12770 - in reply to #12721)

Cruiser

Colorado
Silver Thread Highway 149 from South Fork - Lake City - Gunnison then on to Monarch Pass and keep riding to 50
141 through Gateway take some time for the Auto Museum
I have taken the Black Canyon ...Awesome ride Take the East Portal Rode toward the Dam
Highway 50 between Salida and Canon City...Fantastic see the Video http://www.c-vra.com/c-vravideo/Lake%20City_2006.wmv
Here is a link to some great highways
http://www.byways.org/explore/states/CO/

Bearcat
Posted 2008-07-03 12:22 AM (#12788 - in reply to #12770)

Cruiser

Prescott Valley, AZ
Thanks for the info!!! I was sure I'd get some suggestions on roads to take from this site and so far so good!! This is a ride I've been thinking about for a number of years and it is hard to grasp that it is a meer 3 weeks away, can't wait!!!! Thanks again!

Ride Safe, Ride Often!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™