You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

High-sensitivity receiver
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-01 6:54 PM (#12699)
Subject: High-sensitivity receiver

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I was looking at Gps units for my New Vision. I currently have a Garmin Quest 2. I used it in the past using a ram mount. i was able to get the ram mount to work on them crazy handlebars but going to Home Depot and buying a large U to clamp the ram to the bars. Anyways this isnt my method of choice. Not pretty. So i noticed others have gone with a 2720-2820 garmin, And then i started to compare specs and seen the Zumo 550 has a "High Sensitivity Receiver". does anyone who has had multiple gps's know how much of a difference this makes? I ask because my Quest 2 sometime looses Signal and will say it is searching...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-07-01 9:12 PM (#12705 - in reply to #12699)
Subject: Re: High-sensitivity receiver

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I would ignore that type of marketing and look at the other stuff. My commercial Trimble GPS's have the most sensitive recievers on the market and they wouldn't gain me any benefit on the hwy. If it can pinpoint you within a few feet, you're good to go. The tech. has surpassed the point of usability in that aspect. I'd look more at initialization at cold-start than I would at sensitivity and that stuff would really be overkill for a automotive unit too (especially on a motorcycle with no cab obstructions). I hear the Zumo is supposed to be a good unit. I don't own one personally. If you are going to spend that kind of cash, you might look into the unit that Victory sells. I don't have that GPS either but I do have the mount and harness that I am adapting to my cheap-o. The hardware for that one is top-notch stuff (integrates into audio and power with a cradle that locks down the receiver) and it is plug and play after you drill the pre-marked holes and clip the harness to the radio input. I've never actually operated the unit the mount was intended for so I can't personally vouch for it but it does seem to get very favorable reviews around this forum. In the end, I'd be more interested in the screen (in the sun at noon, it can be impossible to see it on the freeway) or it's ruggedized features than sensitivity.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-01 10:26 PM (#12713 - in reply to #12699)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you so much for you insight. I wish that victory gps wasnt so much money. wow after you factor in the mounting kit there goes $1100+ For that price it should be gold plated... lol
bret272
Posted 2008-07-02 11:45 AM (#12742 - in reply to #12699)
Subject: RE: High-sensitivity receiver

Puddle Jumper

I purchased a Garmin 2720 from Ebay for around $250.00. The unit was used during the Superbowl so it had little use. I got the GPS mount from my dealer and installed it in about 1/2 hour. It works great and functions flawlessly giving directions through the speakers. I even take it off my bike and use it in my work car. From my understanding the 2720 was the original GPS Victory used on the bike. What is nice about the GPS is that during long trips, it will tell me how many miles to the next town, time of arrival etc. I checked Ebay last weekend for my sister and found new 2720's were going for less than $200.00. I don't know about you but for that money, I would get one and install it without worrying about adapting it to the bike.
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-07-02 12:40 PM (#12749 - in reply to #12713)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I feel your pain there. $1000USD is a huge investment into something that MAY last you a few years if your careful with it. All in all, Garmin makes some pretty good units. I haven't even looked at these 2700's series units but they're probably pretty solid. If you do decide to go second hand with one, be sure that you're getting maps that are fairly recent. It's an $80 upgrade to get new maps for an old unit and in many cities you can be lost without updated maps. I would probably steer clear of anything that's older than 2 years without updates, but that's just personal preference. I read somewhere that highway construction changes the routes upwards to 10% a year. That figure seems kinda high to me but I have been stuck out in the middle of BFE , over 200mi away from familiar territory with an old GPS basemap. Not a good thing when you're searching for a gas station! Good luck with your search.
-Will
Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-07-02 1:34 PM (#12750 - in reply to #12699)

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
Instead of buying GPS units that don't work as well or integrate into the Vision like the 2720 or 2820 does just to show the big corporation up.
Why not shop Ebay or Amazon for those $1,000 units since they sell 2720's NEW everyday for not much over $250.00 and the 2820's NEW for not much more then $440.00?

You are riding a $22,000+ bike, why gaudy it up with cheap clamp ons and imitations that don't integrate with the Vision!

Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-02 2:58 PM (#12753 - in reply to #12742)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
bret272 - 2008-07-02 11:45 AM

I purchased a Garmin 2720 from Ebay for around $250.00. The unit was used during the Superbowl so it had little use. I got the GPS mount from my dealer and installed it in about 1/2 hour. It works great and functions flawlessly giving directions through the speakers. I even take it off my bike and use it in my work car. From my understanding the 2720 was the original GPS Victory used on the bike. What is nice about the GPS is that during long trips, it will tell me how many miles to the next town, time of arrival etc. I checked Ebay last weekend for my sister and found new 2720's were going for less than $200.00. I don't know about you but for that money, I would get one and install it without worrying about adapting it to the bike.

thanks for the heads up. I currently have a garmin quest 2 right now. but I would really like too have a gps that could use the vision mounting system. I can mount my quest2 with my ram mount on the handlebars, but it not something im proud of.. its not very good looking... now you mentioned the model you are using, I thought there was another model out there also? I thought it started with a 28xx ? do you know of any man differences between the two?

Edited by Arkainzeye 2008-07-02 3:00 PM
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-07-02 8:04 PM (#12771 - in reply to #12750)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Indiana RoadRunner - 2008-07-02 12:34 PM

You are riding a $22,000+ bike, why gaudy it up with cheap clamp ons and imitations that don't integrate with the Vision!

That would be why I'm condoning the use of audio/power/mounting using the OEM cable and mount system from Victory. It is pretty clean (although the unit itself is HUGE) and fully integrated. I will be mod'ing a setup using this stuff. Then again, that's along the lines of what I do for a living, so I have the adequate tools and consumables at home to do a professional job. I'll post a pic or 2 when I'm done. I seen a Goldwing sitting in front of a restaraunt with crap zip tied, clamped and velcro'd all over the handlebars and dash. For some reason the theme song from Sanford and Son was playing in my head after that! LOL It was like a mobile electronics grave yard. But seriously. Freinds don't let friends duct tape parts on thier bikes
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-07-02 8:04 PM (#12772 - in reply to #12750)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Duplicate reply

Edited by bigwill5150 2008-07-02 8:13 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-02 9:11 PM (#12776 - in reply to #12771)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I was shocked when i looked at ebay tonight and seen what a 2720 goes for.. is that really the same as the Vision $1000 unit?!? On ebay they are going for $180... Hell the mounting bracket from Victory is almost as much as a gps from ebay...

bigwill5150 - 2008-07-02 8:04 PM

Indiana RoadRunner - 2008-07-02 12:34 PM

That would be why I'm condoning the use of audio/power/mounting using the OEM cable and mount system from Victory. It is pretty clean (although the unit itself is HUGE) and fully integrated. I will be mod'ing a setup using this stuff. Then again, that's along the lines of what I do for a living, so I have the adequate tools and consumables at home to do a professional job. I'll post a pic or 2 when I'm done. I seen a Goldwing sitting in front of a restaraunt with crap zip tied, clamped and velcro'd all over the handlebars and dash. For some reason the theme song from Sanford and Son was playing in my head after that! LOL It was like a mobile electronics grave yard. But seriously. Freinds don't let friends duct tape parts on thier bikes
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-02 10:04 PM (#12779 - in reply to #12699)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Hey Guys, please excuse this question but I need to know. If I buy one of them 2720 garmins off of Ebay, What exactly do I need to complete the install. Im speaking in terms of purchasing hardware. I understand there is the little aluminum looking mounting bracket. I seen in other photos that the gps powers from a black plastic device that seems to mount to the mounting bracket? Does this come with the $99 aluminum mounting hardware? Or do I need to purchase even more hardware?
luzzy
Posted 2008-07-04 10:29 PM (#12901 - in reply to #12779)

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
Buy the 2720 on ebay and purchase the Victory mount. The mount includes the necessary cable for power and audio to 27xx and 28xx Garmin GPS. If you are a good shopper, you should be able to GPS your Vision including the mount for UNDER 350.00.

Edited by luzzy 2008-07-04 10:30 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-07-06 7:47 AM (#12946 - in reply to #12901)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Since the mount works with both the 27xx and the 28xx gps units & since the oringal idea from victory was to run it with the 27xx unit, is there any features of the 28xx that will not work on the vision like they do with the 27xx since the 28xx wasnt designed for the vision? I was just wondering that if you bought the 28xx would you find out later that you can do certain functions the way you would have if you bought the older 27XX model. I think i read on here that the 27xx talks through your speaker? Woud it still talk with the 28xx model also?

thanks alot guys....
luzzy
Posted 2008-07-06 9:07 AM (#12949 - in reply to #12946)

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
Safe to assume that NEITHER were designed specifically for the Vision. Victory simply branded the 27xx like many companies do. The 28xx adds bluetooth and XM capability (you must buy additional parts)via the GPS unit and also traffic alerts. Either one integrates into the Vision audio system.

I installed the 2720 because I really just wanted the GPS features plus I bought one brand new for 299.00. The 2820 can be had in the 650.00 range and will include those additional features.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™